• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

Is she blond? Whatever, she'd be better for Misha
Nay. I actually didn't catch the "blonde" part, just read, young actor with big tits haha
Kat-Dennings-photo-thor-premiere.jpg

Emitan

Why is this nurse
seducing me? D:

omg I was going to go after Rin but Emi has a crush on me~

EDIT: Yep, found my girl

So I just finished Rin's route and that was certainly something. I'm not really sure what to think of it to be honest, I found a fair bit of it confusing and didn't really understand the character changes at the end. I don't know whether this was intended to mirror the way Hisao doesn't understand Rin or whether it's just me being stupid so I'll probably have to look at some other people's spoilered posts about it that I've ignored until now before I can formulate my own opinion about it.

Oh, and on that note, I remember seeing some posts before that there were a few mindblowing things in Rin's route (I think one of them had to do with Iwanako's letter) so if anyone could sum up all that for me that'd be great.

Hisao:Iwanako::Rin:Hisao.

Here's a post I made earlier in the thread:
-Hisao's hospital room = Rin's atelier
-Iwanako would visit Hisao at the hospital just to sit in silence, Hisao visits Rin at the atelier just to sit in silence
-Doctor = art teacher. Remember in the beginning when Hisao thinks to himself "It's not an opportunity, don't call it an opportunity. Don't call it a goddamn opportunity"? That's probably how Rin feels about the art teacher gushing over the exhibit.
-One of Hisao's last moments with Iwanako involved her peeling an apple for him, just like Hisao peels oranges for Rin
-Iwanako expresses in her letter that if she could do it all over again, she'd try to support him, and that's exactly how he should approach Rin: as support. If I remember right, one of the choices near the conclusion that steer you toward the Good End is actually something like "I want to support Rin."

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
ew fandubs ew

They always just seem wrong.
Maybe this isn't the best time to reveal that I'm fandubbing your posts then.

Finished the Lilly route up yesterday, so that's all routes cleared now. It was enjoyable, but it didn't feel as strongly written as some of the other arcs in the game, and it doesn't particularly take advantage of the VN format with the limited branching paths and underwhelming
neutral ending. Even the good ending didn't really spark a lot for me.
One of the biggest irritations I had with the arc (outside of "antipathy" and other word misuse) was that it felt like nearly every scene focused on Lilly's (or Hisao's) disability. The whole thing winds up feeling a little forced, and with the attention of so many scenes being on Lilly's blindness the route didn't seem to offer much range.

I found that I preferred the routes where the disability was more pushed off to the side so that the character interactions could feel more natural and genuine. Most of the time I was playing Rin's arc I really didn't even think about the fact that she was missing her arms. There's something really powerful about the route not getting caught up on the disability, because it feels like it opens up the scenes to instead tell more about the character than their affliction.

Soma

I hope I'm not the only person who fast forwarded to "IGOTTAGODOSOMETHING" also, HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG.

Same here. I really didn't like her voice until that line, haha.

Oh god now i'm honestly curious to hear how the other characters sound.

EDIT - oh wow just realized Foreverpandering did some voice work here.

vall03

There's almost certainly some intended symbolism with the fact that
Hisao is fed apples while Rin is fed oranges. Y'know, 'apples and oranges'?

And also, this happened.

Im not impressed at start until "Ivegottogodosomething". And now Im having ideas on possible voice actresses for the girls...

XeroSauce

There's almost certainly some intended symbolism with the fact that
Hisao is fed apples while Rin is fed oranges. Y'know, 'apples and oranges'?

And also, this happened.

I just realized that this is the same girl that did the League of Legends Annie voiceover videos from way back.

Just finished Hanako route.

T_____T

Did different people write each route? The writing and pacing all feel somewhat different.

Now... Shizune or Rin? I don't want this to end!!!! But I need it to. This game been keeping me up until 5am the past few days~

hampig

Yeah, one person per route.

My copy of 5cm per second arrived today. I'm scared to put it in the PC...

I just watched that for the first time a few weeks ago, I underestimated just how sad it was. But also great. One of the best things I've watched in quite a while, BEAUTIFUL as well.

I've finally gotten around to put some more mileage on Rin's route since I haven't played the game in about 4 or 5 days and i gotta say, she seems to be rivaling Hanako as best girl in game for me.

Yeah, one person per route.

My copy of 5cm per second arrived today. I'm scared to put it in the PC...

I just watched that for the first time a few weeks ago, I underestimated just how sad it was. But also great. One of the best things I've watched in quite a while, BEAUTIFUL as well.

I just saw that about a week ago. The whole movie's great, but the song at the end is godlike. It's still stuck in my head.

I've finally gotten around to put some more mileage on Rin's route since I haven't played the game in about 4 or 5 days and i gotta say, she seems to be rivaling Hanako as best girl in game for me.

How far in are you?

I still haven't seen 5 cm. I had it in my Blockbuster queue for years and it never shipped out. It's the only Shinkai flick I've not yet seen. I wasn't particularly fond of Voices of a Distant Star or Place Promised in Our Early Days. Gorgeous films sure, but they just felt... I don't know? Contrived? Forced? Something was off, I don't know. I like the meaning behind 5 cm's title though. That's all kinds of awesome.

How far in are you?

I still haven't seen 5 cm. I had it in my Blockbuster queue for years and it never shipped out. It's the only Shinkai flick I've not yet seen. I wasn't particularly fond of Voices of a Distant Star or Place Promised in Our Early Days. Gorgeous films sure, but they just felt... I don't know? Contrived? Forced? Something was off, I don't know. I like the meaning behind 5 cm's title though. That's all kinds of awesome.

I haven't seen Voices, but I found 5cm/s to be far better than Place.

How far in are you?

I started from where
Rin gives Hisao a hug on the rooftop
to little bit into Act 3. I've been hanging with pokegaf alot, so that didn't help either.

How's it stack up to say... Girl Who Leapt Through Time?
I thought that was a more successful attempt at Sci Fi with dramatic, heart string tugging elements than the Shinkai flicks I've seen. Didn't make me weep like a battered housewife, but I didn't feel let down by it.

I know the Rebuild films have drawn their fair share of critics who feel they're garbage, but I genuinely think the emotional highs and lows in those two films are quite affecting. Of course the fact that I'm a big Eva fan likely has some bearing upon that, but Hosoda's, Miyazaki's and Shinkai's films have never made me feel that lump in throat feeling. (this is excluding Grave of the Fireflies, which wrecked me of course)

Spyhunter - Ah yeah, you're far from seeing the most emotionally impacting stuff. I feel Rin's arc just escalates and never really tapers off, it makes a break for the finish line and never let's up, (whereas Hanako's kinda just plods along and saves it all for this burst at the end). So there's much in store you haven't experienced, I wouldn't be surprised at all if you find it better than Hanako's in the end if it's already being called into question early on.

How's it stack up to say... Girl Who Leapt Through Time?
I thought that was a more successful attempt at Sci Fi with dramatic, heart string tugging elements than the Shinkai flicks I've seen. Didn't make me weep like a battered housewife, but I didn't feel let down by it.

I know the Rebuild films have drawn their fair share of critics who feel they're garbage, but I genuinely think the emotional highs and lows in those two films are quite affecting. Of course the fact that I'm a big Eva fan likely has some bearing upon that, but Hosoda's, Miyazaki's and Shinkai's films have never made me feel that lump in throat feeling. (this is excluding Grave of the Fireflies, which wrecked me of course)

Spyhunter - Ah yeah, you're far from seeing the most emotionally impacting stuff. I feel Rin's arc just escalates and never really tapers off, it makes a break for the finish line and never let's up, (whereas Hanako's kinda just plods along and saves it all for this burst at the end). So there's much in store you haven't experienced, I wouldn't be surprised at all if you find it better than Hanako's in the end if it's already being called into question early on.

Unfortunately, my experiences with anime movies are super limited and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is one of many that I haven't seen. However, 5cm/s doesn't have any supernatural or sci fi elements(and that may be what makes it so poignant).

I agree with you about the Rebuild movies.
Rei's suicide attack was a real gut punch and way, way better than in the anime.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Those Nyanners videos are frightening. Troll-tan especially is amazing.
Especially Trolltan /v edition:

"Minecraft is for people with autism"

"You like jrpgs? You're such a...wee-a-boo"

"Go back to playing halo reacharound with your xbros"

"I'm implying things. Are you...butt-frustrated?"

Funny and adorable all at once.

So, I downloaded this and installed it. I guess I'm going to give it a play. I told myself I wouldn't play this, but I keep seeing avatars/pics of Hanako and she is just so adorable. ;_; I'm totally playing with the erotic content turned off.

So, I downloaded this and installed it. I guess I'm going to give it a play. I told myself I wouldn't play this, but I keep seeing avatars/pics of Hanako and she is just so adorable. ;_; I'm totally playing with the erotic content turned off.
1. How come?
2. It's tasteful and in some cases adds to the story(imo). You're not obligated to wank to them.

Javier

I replayed one of the erotic scenes with the adult content disabled and... the way it's censored is rather ridiculous. They could have just taken out the image but still show the text, specially since frontal nudity is still shown.

Also, general consensus is that Hanako's scene is the most graphic. If you can handle that the rest are pretty tame by comparison.

I replayed one of the erotic scenes with the adult content disabled and... the way it's censored is rather ridiculous. They could have just taken out the image but still show the text, specially since frontal nudity is still shown.

Also, general consensus is that Hanako's scene is the most graphic. If you can handle that the rest are pretty tame by comparison.
Oh, so disabling it doesn't really do anything? Never mind then.
1. How come?
2. It's tasteful and in some cases adds to the story(imo). You're not obligated to wank to them.
1. I didn't want to have to play as a boy.
2. Reading one of the reviews made them sound awkward, and I point back to number one.

Top Bottom