• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

Boney

Banned
I'm guessing I'm the only one that's a big fan of Red Velvet

It just sets the tone both perfectly with both the Lilly and Hanako routes, playful with a slight tint of sexy to it.

Kaper

New page chooses the correct tracks.

I'm on Lilly's route.

No regrets.

And my favorite track is Fripperies.

I, too, am on Lilly's route now. It's a constant stream of warm fuzzy feelings. I also can't help but chuckle whenever Hisao gets tripped up on his mannerisms around Lilly and her visual impairment, stemming from living with someone who is blind as well.

It just sets the tone both perfectly with both the Lilly and Hanako routes, playful with a slight tint of sexy to it.

You guessed wrong. Red Velvet, Fripperies, Afternoon, and The Student Council are the tracks I play the most, according to iTunes.

Jintor

I went out to get some lunch and I was standing at the lights. Blue sky shining through around me, though clouds were gathering, but not in such a way as to block out the sun. It started to rain, gently - a sunshower. Romance in Andante started playing (on my mp3 player, not in my head, so I'm not going crazy).

Having music only used on the good ends was such a good choice. The bad ends feel empty, numbing, like you haven't really completed anything, like you made a terrible, ghastly mistake and have to sit through the credits with nothing. But the short vids in the credits paired with Romance in Andante really make it feel... let's say, fulfilled.

cj_iwakura

I can't stop playing this. :( Already at Chapter 4 with Lilly, I pray I'm on the right path, but I think I am.

I'm usually adverse to eroge-ish VNs, but I agree with earlier sentiments: the mature scenes are incredibly well handled with the utmost of proper tone.

And that cheongsam is adorable.

Agreed on Red Velvet: amazing song.

Just finally finished all the Good ends for the Girls. One thing I noticed that I haven't seen mentioned is that in the animated intros to each girl they seem to show you a summery of what the plot of the story will be in a sense . I'm still missing Hanako's and Emi's intros since the damn game decided to glitch up and not give me them even though I have finished there routes already soo I could be wrong about there intros.

Man, this thread is slowly dieing. I thought it wouldn't when we had a discussion about it, but now, I don't know what to think. I'm scared.
You just have to go out there and feel more feels, bro. Watch Five Centimeters per Second if you haven't.

These plus Shadow of the Truth and Stride.

Damn. I haven't listened to the soundtrack lately and now all the feels are rushing back.

I went out to get some lunch and I was standing at the lights. Blue sky shining through around me, though clouds were gathering, but not in such a way as to block out the sun. It started to rain, gently - a sunshower. Romance in Andante started playing (on my mp3 player, not in my head, so I'm not going crazy).

Having music only used on the good ends was such a good choice. The bad ends feel empty, numbing, like you haven't really completed anything, like you made a terrible, ghastly mistake and have to sit through the credits with nothing. But the short vids in the credits paired with Romance in Andante really make it feel... let's say, fulfilled.
This probably makes me a terrible person, but I clicked the fuck out of that skip button each time the credits started rolling. Even the feels are no match for my goldfish-like attention span.

Emi route ( again )
Are you listening to me Hisao immune system ? Stop getting sick this instant !!

After doing lily & hanako i can't help but notice HOW genki this route is..Emi is a "genki" girl ..but hisao attitude is almost like a normal healty high school boy (in love)

i love the contrast between those

Kaper

You just have to go out there and feel more feels, bro. Watch Five Centimeters per Second if you haven't.

This is what I plan to do after watching The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I had no idea 5cm/s was made by the same dude who created Voices of a Distant Star until his name was brought up in the anime thread not that long ago. Judging by yours, and other reactions, I'm assuming it's going to be good. Hype hype hype.

Lilly route is now complete.
I liked Hanako's development in Lilly's arc. It was a good feel, having completed Hanako's arc previous to Lilly's. I was closer to tears when nearing the end of Lilly's arc, when compared to Hanako's, but I think that's mostly due to the fact that Lilly and her story hit a lot closer to home than Hanako's did, not to mention the music box playing at the end slayed me. Then again, I'm surprised I haven't actually shed a tear yet, considering I am easily moved by strong, emotional music.

cj_iwakura

Just finished Lilly's route, true end.

Pure beauty. What an immersive experience. So perfect that I'm not sure I want to do any other routes.

Kaper

Pure beauty. What an immersive experience. So perfect that I'm not sure I want to do any other routes.

Indeed. I'll be taking a short break from KS for that reason. This coming week is going to be awesome, riding on the feels from Lilly's arc.

Whenever I do decide to finish up Emi better be ready for my game.

vall03

it's really nice to see this thread pop out once in a while here in the Community tab. I saw the thread in the 2nd page a couple of times already so I thought not much is happening.

Indeed. I'll be taking a short break from KS for that reason. This coming week is going to be awesome, riding on the feels from Lilly's arc.

Whenever I do decide to finish up Emi better be ready for my game.

i've started with lily and now i'm convinced that i need a 2 week break between routes in order to return to a neutral state before playing ...

Raiho

Neo Member
Yeah, it feels like there are a lot of missed opportunities in Shizune's route. The one that sticks out in my mind the most was
Shizune and Lilly being cousins. Unless this is brought up again in further detail in Lilly's route, that only seemed to happen to get Lilly and Akira on the fishing trip and even then I could see that scene being rewritten without them there and the route wouldn't have really lost anything. When I first read that they were related I thought that was going to lead to something else (Like maybe the reason they don't get along is because their fathers don't see eye to eye and the student council argument was just the straw that broke the camel's back) but after the fishing trip it was never brought up again.
Oh, and welcome to GAF!

One last opportunity I thought was missed:
Shizune's voice. She's apparently mute by choice. It seemed to be leading somewhere with her father hiring tutors when she was a child, Hisao mentioning her laugh so often and then getting a little taste of her voice during the sex scene in the student council room. I really thought the good ending would have Shizune voicing "I love you" to Hisao.

Thanks for the welcome!

On my second play, I got on the Rin path by changing only one choice in Act 1. Debating on whether I should continue this path or try Hanako or Emi next instead. Love Rin's character so far, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for her yet.

Shizune's voice. She's apparently mute by choice. It seemed to be leading somewhere with her father hiring tutors when she was a child, Hisao mentioning her laugh so often and then getting a little taste of her voice during the sex scene in the student council room. I really thought the good ending would have Shizune voicing "I love you" to Hisao.

Thanks for the welcome!

On my second play, I got on the Rin path by changing only one choice in Act 1. Debating on whether I should continue this path or try Hanako or Emi next instead. Love Rin's character so far, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for her yet.
(Shizune)
I'm not an expert, but from my experiences and what I've read, deaf people may have voices, but they usually can't really talk. It mostly just sounds like moaning. Besides, Shizune's signing has a strong enough "voice" as-is.

I agree with your previous post about her route, though.
Except for lesbian Misha. I just think it fits her.

Raiho

Neo Member
(Shizune)
I'm not an expert, but from my experiences and what I've read, deaf people may have voices, but they usually can't really talk. It mostly just sounds like moaning. Besides, Shizune's signing has a strong enough "voice" as-is.

I agree with your previous post about her route, though.
Except for lesbian Misha. I just think it fits her.

(Shizune)
I'm in agreement about her signing. I just thought her speaking one line was where the writer was headed. It would have been more gamey and a "d'aawww" moment, but I'm glad it didn't happen. Gotta love that the game stays quite a bit grounded in reality.

Seeing how good Shizune's character makes me want to see a deaf character outside of a VN. Maybe even just to see the mocap for the signing.

(Misha)
Lesbian Misha I could go either way with. I'm not against her being a lesbian. Actually, her and Emi being paired as Team Genki Ai~! would work for me. It's just the being in love with Shizune part that has no impact. Maybe I'm just a lazy writer, but it seems easier to write a non-lesbian story where the relationships return to the way were. I just can't buy the way Misha's relationship with Shizune and Hisao returned to status quo basically overnight if she really was in love with Shizune.

notworksafe

Amazing song. It's become my favorite on the soundtrack over the changed version of Parity. OG Parity is still superior however.

Raiho

Neo Member
I'm no expert on deafness so forgive me if this is horribly inaccurate but
is that something she would even be able to learn? If she's been deaf her whole life she would have no idea what it would sound like and she might never have learned to talk in the first place.

In reality, most likely not.
Just my own expectations of where the game was headed when I first played it since I didn't know anything about it other than it had good characters. Like I said above, it would have been gamey and broken some of the immersion. Still, I would have liked it if she let out a loud laugh or giggle once. That's something she can definitely do. On the other hand, was it ever said in game that she was deaf since birth or by the writers? I'm assuming that's the case. It seems odd that her father would hire tutors for her (or a tutor would even take the job) if she had no chance to speak.

I kinda want to see some Shizune and Naoto crossover pictures. Something like Naoto being uncomfortable in a Yamaku outfit and Shizune being the cool detective prince. : /

Decided to play Rin's route since she intrigues me. I love her sense of humor. Though from what I've heard, many man-tears shall be shed and I will have no shame.

(Rin near the beginning of Act 2)
Rin's sketch of Hisao made me want to play Hotel Dusk for some reason.

How can that be one of your favourites? That's the "oh christ what have I done" music.
It's so good, though!
I kinda want to see some Shizune and Naoto crossover pictures. Something like Naoto being uncomfortable in a Yamaku outfit and Shizune being the cool detective prince. : /
Incidentally, Hanako's casual outfit looks like it was taken right out of Naoto's closet.
Decided to play Rin's route since she intrigues me. I love her sense of humor. Though from what I've heard, many man-tears shall be shed and I will have no shame.
Prepare for best girl.

Jintor

Re: shizune
the reason she doesn't talk is because by and large deaf people don't know how to speak 'naturally' - they can probably 'audialise'(?) the syllables but the resultant phrase would be something more like "Iii loooowwwwvveee yuuuuu"

XeroSauce

Re: shizune
the reason she doesn't talk is because by and large deaf people don't know how to speak 'naturally' - they can probably 'audialise'(?) the syllables but the resultant phrase would be something more like "Iii loooowwwwvveee yuuuuu"

Am I a bad person if I think that'd be cute?

I'm a bad person BAH

qKWG2.jpg

Emitan

I thought the library would let you continue on from any scene instead of just letting you view it. I'll never see Emi's bad end now!

XeroSauce

I thought the library would let you continue on from any scene instead of just letting you view it. I'll never see Emi's bad end now!

This is why I save at every decision.

If you really wanted to, you can play through it again using Skip mode, it goes pretty fast.

Boney

Banned
I'm just going to do Rin's story instead. I don't want to know what the bad ending is! It's too sad to think about!

I'm actually ending for the bad end(s?) with this Shizune route first.

It's totally not cool that chapter 2 is going on forever and it's so terribly dull

Top Bottom