• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

flyover

Someone saying that Hanako is better off in Lilly's route than with her own route jsut bewilders me.

She seemed most independent by the end of that one, to me. Seemed to portend well for her future. Or maybe I just wanted to justify picking Lilly after I'd already gone for Hanako in my first go-round! Guilty conscience...

Shizune's route is the best! Probably the most interesting routes besides Rin (All the other routes are pretty typical waifu material ;P).

Has low points but so do all other routes. Has the best pout!

I am looking forward to playing it, even though I haven't had much to do with her in the previous playthroughs.

Hanako is clearly better in lily route.

She has friends to go on trips , (aka not afraid of going outside by herself )and she seems to have at least a short term goal..something she is still looking for in her own route true end.

Someone saying that Hanako is better off in Lilly's route than with her own route jsut bewilders me.
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. What makes Hanako seem better off in Lilly's route is that she
finally stands on her own two feet. With Lilly and Hisao running through various locales proclaiming their love to each other, Hanako has no one to rely on or hide behind. But just as she insists in her own route, Hanako doesn't need protecting. No longer restricted, she's able to grow and reach out to others as equals.

However, I used the word "seem" because I think that Hanako is really just as well off in her own route -- we just don't get to see it. When Hanako's story ends, she's only just found the strength and self-assurance that would lead to the development seen in Lilly's route.

tl;dr: fucking timelines, how do they work?

flyover

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. What makes Hanako seem better off in Lilly's route is that she
finally stands on her own two feet. With Lilly and Hisao running through various locales proclaiming their love to each other, Hanako has no one to rely on or hide behind. But just as she insists in her own route, Hanako doesn't need protecting. No longer restricted, she's able to grow and reach out to others as equals.

However, I used the word "seem" because I think that Hanako is really just as well off in her own route -- we just don't get to see it. When Hanako's story ends, she's only just found the strength and self-assurance that would lead to the development seen in Lilly's route.

Thank you (and R_thanatos). That's how I felt about it, too. And I think there's a good chance you're right about Hanako's route.

Boney

Banned
Hanako is clearly better in lily route.

She has friends to go on trips , (aka not afraid of going outside by herself )and she seems to have at least a short term goal..something she is still looking for in her own route true end.

Well I guess it comes down to personal expectations, like for having a steady job is a better metric for "success".

And I don't disagree what Hanako is very well off in Lilly's Route, because she gets to be a lot more independant on that route, and she's strong enough to realize both the importance of Lilly's happiness and that she doesn't need to depend on anyone and that she can get stuff done. I played that route after Hanako's so I was pretty surprised at first at seeing her recover so well, but realized it was pretty unwarranted because she's a lot stronger than you first give her credit for because of all the smothering that happens on her route.

But that's exactly why I think she's so well off in her route, after an incredible emotional and cathartic moment, she is able to completely stand on her own two feet and have a clear perspective about everything. Whereas in Lilly's route, she's starting to slowly realize of what she's capable off, and slowly starts making her way up, in her route, she becomes an adult, and isn't held back by anything now. I feel she accepts her emotional and physical scars and isn't restrained by them anymore, and realizes she has the strength not only to stand up to people, including Hisao and lead a happy life with or without him. It's an incredibly rewarding scene.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that love makes us grow up a lot faster, leading us to places we didn't know we could go

It's also interesting to note that her path ends a lot earlier.

Oh my last part has been covered.

vall03

You gotta admit though, Hisao's sweater vest is pretty damn lame.

Only redeeming part of Shizunes father, still laughing at his sweater vest lol

If she raged at the relationship of Lilly and Hisao, then it would seriously suck, but the moment she accepted their relationship, that was the start imo. She may have realized that she might get in the way of their relationship but it ended in the right direction of her standing on her own because she could have regressed back to her original state of keeping herself alone.

If she raged at the relationship of Lilly and Hisao, then it would seriously suck, but the moment she accepted their relationship, that was the start imo. She may have realized that she might get in the way of their relationship but it ended in the right direction of her standing on her own because she could have regressed back to her original state of keeping herself alone.

Hanako is way better as the couple's friend. It's the most chill she is in the whole game.

Finally decided to finish the game up. 100% and all that.

I did Shizune, Lily, Hanako, Emi, then Rin. Hisao in the last two really annoyed me. It's like the only thing that could come out of his mouth was stupidity. I think I didn't like Hanako's Hisao either, but it's been awhile so I can't remember.

I won't pick a favorite, but I'll say that Emi's route was the least enjoyable. Between Hisao sucking and Emi sucking, I'm glad it was neither my first route nor my last.

Javier

I've finished Hanako and Emi, and I'm halfway through Shizune. Who should I save for last for better aftertaste, Lilly or Rin?

I was planning on saving Rin for last since she seems to have the most interactive route, but all the "Lilly route is best route" posts are making me doubt that.

You're a bad person and you should feel bad ;__;

Wait wait, is this for me? Why lol?

I've finished Hanako and Emi, and I'm halfway through Shizune. Who should I save for last for better aftertaste, Lilly or Rin?

I was planning on saving Rin for last since she seems to have the most interactive route, but all the "Lilly route is best route" posts are making me doubt that.

Eh, Lily's route definitely isn't the best. Between Lily and Rin though, it doesn't matter who goes last. Both are good choices.

I don't think I was ever judging the game on realness, so I can't really disagree with your opinion. But, I know Emi's character was really grating after awhile. And Hisao's was worse. And that scene in the track shed! Ugh. Maybe if you light Emi on fire and put her in your avatar I'll like her a little more, but until then, easily the worst least enjoyable route.

Jintor

I don't think I was ever judging the game on realness, so I can't really disagree with your opinion. But, I know Emi's character was really grating after awhile. And Hisao's was worse. And that scene in the track shed! Ugh. Maybe if you light Emi on fire and put her in your avatar I'll like her a little more, but until then, easily the worst least enjoyable route.

Grating in its realness? I dealt with it irl (in a sense) and it sucked, but it was awesome, but it sucked...

Can't believe you're ranking it above meandering shizune

Grating in its realness? I dealt with it irl (in a sense) and it sucked, but it was awesome, but it sucked...

Can't believe you're ranking it above meandering shizune

Like I said, the issue of being real, or believable, was never a factor. Emi's just annoying. I guess if I knew a girl like her, yea, she'd be grating as well. Shizune's bossy, but she isn't annoying like Emi. Shizune also had Misha around. Emi's just bad, honestly. And being alone most of the time just makes it worse.

Jintor

Guess it just comes down to opinions because Emi is adorable.

To elaborate, I kind of think that in a relationship-based game the 'realness' or believability of a character relates heavily to how enjoyable their route is because it leads to an easier sense of empathy. I've known people like Lilly, Emi and Rin; I haven't really known people like Hanako or Shizune. So their routes affected me more, I suppose.

Emitan

Emi reminds me of one of my good friends I don't get to see often. Short, adorable, blonde, loves to run, and very stubborn. So everything is pretty awesome until Hisao starts screwing her...

Soma

one of my best friends tells me that he downloaded the game today after hearing me talk about it. 7-8 hours later he finished Emi's route and was absolutely floored by it. It apparently also mirrored a past relationship for the guy.

I don't think her route was bad at all. If anything I think her's is a great introduction to the game and sets the stage for the other routes to come. It's got the light hearted-ness, the comedic scenes, and a good amount of emotional depth as well.

The thing I noticed most about this game, is that Hisao is the main character of each route, not the girls... which is pretty rare for most VN's I've played. At the end, I feel like Hisao is the one that leveled up over the game.

Been wondering.. do most people end up getting emi the first time? If you go guideless... you do tend to get her route somehow, unless you really really want hisao to die (Let's not listen to the nurse's recommendation for exercise).

Emitan

Been wondering.. do most people end up getting emi the first time? If you go guideless... you do tend to get her route somehow, unless you really really want hisao to die (Let's not listen to the nurse's recommendation for exercise).

Yeah it seems that way. Makes sense to push the best girl on new players.

fact

Soma

Yeah nearly everyone I've gotten to play this has ended up getting Emi on their first try (usually trying to get someone else too). I think that's because you get into the mindset of "well crap i'd better take exercising seriously or else i'll die!"

I was just answering stuff how I felt I would in the situations and ended up with her. I can see why, since she's pretty tom-boyish, and that tends to be the type of girls in media I like the most.

also I believe her route is probably the easiest to get on. It's pretty much, Let's exercise, and let me put on a little competitive spirit. BAM Emi route!

Jintor

She only has two decision flags that will shunt you onto her route I'm pretty sure and they're right next to one another, unless you've been cosying up to Shizune the entire time in which case it gives you an obvious choice.

Jintor

A random question, are there any western VNs? Like, no anime characters? Not that I don't like anime, but I think it'd be interesting to see.

Even most of the western ones use the Japanese VN format and artstyle (see: Katawa Shoujo, Don't Take It Personally, Analogue: A Hate Story). Perhaps the closest you'd get is Digital, and that's because it was entirely in BBS.

vall03

I didn't because the other option is something like "Take it easy" which I took to mean just run at a normal pace and I thought that was the correct thing to do instead of doing too much exercise which the nurse also warned against.
It's such a bummer when "Take it easy" turns out to mean completely give up on running and never try it again.

I was actually trying to get Emi the first time around but saying "Take it easy" basically led me to the Bad End.

mxgt

Banned

Yup I got her first time too

Jintor

Bitches don't know about my swag

tumblr_lzfsoaixTH1rnx5rho1_1280.jpg

/edit today is the day the /v/ threads died :T

Bitches don't know about my swag

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr...400452&Signature=GHLlPaOs2YVGtC5pIgokeUOYato=

/edit today is the day the /v/ threads died :T
I was curious what you meant so I took a peek into /v/. Christ almighty, I don't know how you or anyone can stand that place. So much rage, stupidity, and undeserved elitism. Also autism. Oh ye gods, the autism.

People are genuinely raging because Mass Effect 3 has an option to turn anti-aliasing on/off. What the fuck?

Top Bottom