• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

vall03

what the fuck happened here that people are now exchanging 3DS friendcodes?!

only have one friend who has a 3DS :(

Don't use a flowchart ;__;

Unless you're going for 100%, but it ruins the naturalness of the game...
imo, flowcharts are fair game since KS kind of dropped the ball when it comes to decisions and their results. Hisao has too much of a personality to make the arbitrary decision points and vague choices work.

I just fell into hers, it's really not that hard. Just don't pursue the other girls, that's all you have to do really.
That's exactly what I did, but then bad things happened. >_> Anyway, I'm 99% sure I'm on my way to Rin's route this time, unless there is another bad ending for act one. D:
imo, flowcharts are fair game since KS kind of dropped the ball when it comes to decisions and their results. Hisao has too much of a personality to make the arbitrary decision points and vague choices work.
Yeah, the choices are kind of vague like Mass Effect. You pick one, but you are not totally sure what is going to happen or come out of Hisao's mouth.

Boney

Banned
Correct, you didn't team up on me. However, you certainly tried to guilt trip me. :p

A Texan and a member of Team Hanako? Awesome.

It just does!
True, changing Hisao's gender wouldn't change how he treated her. Of course the sex scene would have been totally different.

You so horny

Jintor

I really like the way the choice layouts work in Act 1, and kind of wish that could be replicated throughout an entire game - but that would be ridiculously complex, I wager.

I really like the way the choice layouts work in Act 1, and kind of wish that could be replicated throughout an entire game - but that would be ridiculously complex, I wager.
I didn't like how Hisao was violently opposed to joining the student council, or the infamous Emi trap.

I like the idea of it -- that the path you get is a culmination of your choices -- but I wasn't so fond of the execution.

I didn't like how Hisao was violently opposed to joining the student council, or the infamous Emi trap.

I like the idea of it -- that the path you get is a culmination of your choices -- but I wasn't so fond of the execution.

This, fuck Hisao, I don't get why he was so opposed it just got to be kinda annoying in the end . I feel his presence at times can be a bit overbearing.

Emitan

Uh oh. I don't like the sounds of this. D:

What's wrong with being associated with me?

KeF5C.jpg

This, fuck Hisao, I don't get why he was so opposed it just got to be kinda annoying in the end . I feel his presence at times can be a bit overbearing.
That wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't tried to combine it with a natural(ish) progression structure. It's like they wanted to write a traditional narrative, but refused to let go of the VN format so they just duct taped them together.

Jintor

I think a strong main character is infinitely preferable to a bland slate.

I do agree on some choices being vague though. Emi trap especially.

Jintor

I agree for the most part, but a strong main character shouldn't have its decisions made by a random observer at seemingly arbitrary intervals.

But you don't really make Hisao's decisions for him so much as you decide what kind of person Hisao is, if that makes any sense. In Act 1, anyway.

Requeim

Obviously super LTTP here, but holy fuck, Katawa Crash is the best thing ever.

Hope this gets like a million different fangames/spinoffs (fighting game would be cool too)

But you don't really make Hisao's decisions for him so much as you decide what kind of person Hisao is, if that makes any sense. In Act 1, anyway.
The problem is that Hisao is already his own person before the player intervenes. So the result is kind of the opposite of what they intended.

Rin and Shizune are two good examples. Your choices lead to you hanging out with them, but then Hisao ends up whining about it in the narration and/or the dialogue.

hamchan

So I finished Hanako's route. Did anyone else feel it was super short? Because I sure did, which is a shame because I liked her quite a lot. Much more than Emi anyways. Oh well, time to go for Lilly now.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So I finished Hanako's route. Did anyone else feel it was super short? Because I sure did, which is a shame because I liked her quite a lot. Much more than Emi anyways. Oh well, time to go for Lilly now.

Prepare for awesome.

vall03

well, the reason it seemed short was because when things just started to get interesting is the time when it ended, which is a shame really since it feels like theres possibly more after the ending.

I wouldn't say super short, but the lack of even an epilogue was disappointing.
well, the reason it seemed short was because when things just started to get interesting is the time when it ended, which is a shame really since it feels like theres possibly more after the ending.
Maybe they are saving the rest of the story for Katawa Shoujo 2. Believe!

Soma

Obviously super LTTP here, but holy fuck, Katawa Crash is the best thing ever.

Why did I never try this before; I spent the last hour straight laughing with the occasional "what? WHAT?"

For those interested, Cpl. Crud (the writer of Hanako's route) did an epilogue for her story on his blog. It's not really considered canon but it's an interesting read nonetheless.

Part 1 - http://cplcrud.wordpress.com/4ls-era-fanworks-and-scraps/a-runners-afternoon/
Part 2 - http://cplcrud.wordpress.com/4ls-era-fanworks-and-scraps/a-runners-afternoon-part-2/

And something extra http://cplcrud.wordpress.com/4ls-era-fanworks-and-scraps/10-july-1990/ (beware may cause tears)

Oh, god dammit :(

For those interested, Cpl. Crud (the writer of Hanako's route) did an epilogue for her story on his blog. It's not really considered canon but it's an interesting read nonetheless.

Part 1 - http://cplcrud.wordpress.com/4ls-era-fanworks-and-scraps/a-runners-afternoon/
Part 2 - http://cplcrud.wordpress.com/4ls-era-fanworks-and-scraps/a-runners-afternoon-part-2/

And something extra http://cplcrud.wordpress.com/4ls-era-fanworks-and-scraps/10-july-1990/ (beware may cause tears)
is47QddVL3cXS.gif
ibmjF6fkS5dMt0.gif
ikRARgMS3ohAw.gif
iBfbRXUiJZYTn.gif

Why did I read all of that? Why...

Edit: Wait, that's based on Hanako's neutral ending? What?

Well, I finally got around to finishing my first story, but man, I wish it went on longer. Rin's story was great. I have a hard time putting how I felt about it into words, so I just leave it at that. Rin's frighteningly similar to me
so it was a little weird during the sex scene. Like I was having sex with myself, only the other me has boobs... Well it was a touching moment anyways.
I think I'll take a little break for a bit before I go down a different path, so I can bask in this... um... can't think of the word for it... Anyways I'll probably go with Shizune for something completely different next time.

I just read the letter from Hanako's father. It was good, I liked it. Not as saddening as I thought it would be. But nonetheless, still kinda emotional. I won't read the other stuff cause it isn't canon. Only non canon stuff I accept is the Sonia stuff from Castlevania legends.

Off topic, Why you still salty Billy??? And yes, I know I'm awesome Femme, in fact we're both awesome....soo awesome you might replace billy as my fav now ;). By the way, I'm going to add all the friend codes that were posted in here just to let ya'll know.

Now that I think about it...I guess I should admit that yess, I used the flowchart for all other girls except for Hanako. Wanted to make my first attempt at a VN count, which feels good since I got the good end without trouble.

didn't he start writing hanako's route and was taken off the project early on?

Top Bottom