• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ken Kutaragi claims everyone at Sony thought the PlayStation would fail

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Ken-Kutaragi-1024x650.jpg

Via VGC

Speaking at the Tokyo Game Show this week, Kutaragi spoke about his ambition to enter the gaming hardware space in the mid-90s.

“We wanted to share the passion,” Kuturagi told the audience. “We wanted to hear their expectations and what they did not expect, so we wanted to hear from them.

“So we visited dozens of companies if not hundreds, we visited a lot of game makers. It was a great memory. They were not interested.

“They just said, ‘Don’t do it. There were multiple companies and none of them were successful. You are going to fail.’ That’s what they told us.”

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Ken-Kutaragi-1024x650.jpg

Via VGC

Speaking at the Tokyo Game Show this week, Kutaragi spoke about his ambition to enter the gaming hardware space in the mid-90s.

“We wanted to share the passion,” Kuturagi told the audience. “We wanted to hear their expectations and what they did not expect, so we wanted to hear from them.

“So we visited dozens of companies if not hundreds, we visited a lot of game makers. It was a great memory. They were not interested.

“They just said, ‘Don’t do it. There were multiple companies and none of them were successful. You are going to fail.’ That’s what they told us.”

I was just watching a documentary on YouTube about the whole making of and lifecycle of the first Playstation. The video delves into that a lot. It's amazing how out of touch Sony was when it came to videogames. Glad Ken proved them wrong

nial

This was already known I'm sure, it was the reason as to why it wasn't a 'SONY PlayStation', but rather just a 'PlayStation'. They didn't want to tarnish their brand with a dismissed toy in case it failed.

Last edited:

SweetTooth

Gold Member
I thought that its a known knowledge that Kutaragi fought really hard for PS to get approved, he wanted to whoop that Ninty ass so damn hard! And he did just that spectacularly to the point that we have Miyamoto yesterday cowering off any competition and asking to be left alone lmao.

Edit: Kutaragi gave Nintendo a +30 Years of PTSD .. what a Legend 🤣

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The original PlayStation hardware was one of those rare times where someone got everything perfect at the get go for the time.

Everyone expected sega to knock it out of the park with the knowledge they had with making very popular model 1 games and anticipated sequels to their biggest genesis games. They failed to provide both. 😢

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They were always arrogant, from day one.
It's not necessarily a bad thing. There's good arrogant and bad arrogant..

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
Now they think they can never fail and pump out shite like Concord and pass GAAS through the AAS.

FrankWza

They were always arrogant, from day one.
It's just that before 2006 people didn't watch press briefings. Particularly not Sony's. People would just read the transcripts and watch the game trailers.

I think that was mostly because most people didn't have broadband Internet. But they were always arrogant. Every year, since 1995. They changed after 2006 due to pressure. But it's part of their DNA really..
Time Story GIF

I was just watching a documentary on YouTube about the whole making of and lifecycle of the first Playstation. The video delves into that a lot. It's amazing how out of touch Sony was when it came to videogames. Glad Ken proved them wrong
When Nintendo pulled the trigger during a show where Sony introduced a CD ad-on for a Nintendo console and Nintendo dumping Sony, and went for a CD ad-on from Phillips was the final trigger for Sony.
That was the birth of Playstation. Sony was so pissed over that backstabbing from Nintendo that Sony gave the fiat to Ken Kutaragi to build the Playstation. The rest is history🤗

BlackTron

And he did just that spectacularly to the point that we have Miyamoto yesterday cowering off any competition and asking to be left alone lmao.

Nintendo's operating margin is literally four times that of Sony. Nintendo does not want to do what Sony does even if Sony disappeared tomorrow.

Of course Sony still deserves props for humbling Nintendo's pretentious ass in the 90s.

Synastry

This was known. G4 tv used to air an excellent documentary about the history of playstation
I wouldn't go that far it was decant at best I seen better on YouTube but there is one documentary if anyone is interesting in learning more you can watch one call From Bedrooms To Billions The PlayStation Revolution.

I think you can find it on youtube.

I wouldn't go that far it was decant at best I seen better on YouTube but there is one documentary if anyone is interesting in learning more you can watch one call From Bedrooms To Billions The PlayStation Revolution.

I think you can find it on youtube.
Maybe it's nostalgia but I loved that documentary I'll check out the one you recommend though

Celine

I thought that its a known knowledge that Kutaragi fought really hard for PS to get approved, he wanted to whoop that Ninty ass so damn hard! And he did just that spectacularly to the point that we have Miyamoto yesterday cowering off any competition and asking to be left alone lmao.

Edit: Kutaragi gave Nintendo a +30 Years of PTSD .. what a Legend 🤣

Nintendo's supposed "+30 Years of PTSD":

sH356cC.jpeg

A curiosity:
As March 1995 (PS1 was launched in December 1994 in Japan) NES + GB + SNES had sold in total 141.49 million units therefore since the introduction of the PlayStation brand of consoles Nintendo has sold around 100 million dedicated video game systems more than what Sony did in the same timeframe.

* Note:
I considered only standalone consoles with interchangeable software (devices like Color TV Game, Game & Watch, Nintendo plug & play retro consoles, PlayStation Classic, PocketStation and add-ons in general were excluded; also eduteintment systems like Sega Pico were excluded).

xvffAqF.jpeg

Last edited:

Majukun

we can hardly blame them considering the situation back in 1995
nintendo and sega actually gave them an huge hand, the rest were sleazy marketing and good business decision on their part

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
When Nintendo pulled the trigger during a show where Sony introduced a CD ad-on for a Nintendo console and Nintendo dumping Sony, and went for a CD ad-on from Phillips was the final trigger for Sony.
That was the birth of Playstation. Sony was so pissed over that backstabbing from Nintendo that Sony gave the fiat to Ken Kutaragi to build the Playstation. The rest is history🤗

harry potter book GIF

SweetTooth

Gold Member
Nintendo's operating margin is literally four times that of Sony. Nintendo does not want to do what Sony does even if Sony disappeared tomorrow.

Of course Sony still deserves props for humbling Nintendo's pretentious ass in the 90s.

well of course you will have higher margins if your entire business model is revolving around buying the cheapest tech from Nvidia and ripping off your fanbase with "never discounted" games! all this while doing your bare minimum at providing any advancement to gaming industry! Voice chat? What is that! VR? Nah.. any GPU tech? Nah... Upscalers? Nooo...SSD?...nah.

Shhh .. just buy whatever outdated tech in our industry , sell it .. profit!

While looking at Sony, they have always been at the cutting edge trying their best to forward the industry and the examples are plenty with the latest PSSR tech that rivals Nvidias best efforts, PS4 cache scrubbers and ALU config that was carried over to AMD roadmap, PS5 SSD that even predated the speeds of the standard PCI, VR ventures ...they are trying to advance the industry all while having really advance infrastructure for online and cloud streaming.

Of course margins will never be the same! And this luxury for Nintendo won't last once Portable PCs gain more traction and the big boys arrive!

sH356cC.jpeg

A curiosity:
As March 1995 (PS1 was launched in December 1994 in Japan) NES + GB + SNES had sold in total 141.49 million units therefore since the introduction of the PlayStation brand of consoles Nintendo has sold around 100 million dedicated video game systems more than what Sony did in the same timeframe.

* Note:
I considered only standalone consoles with interchangeable software (devices like Color TV Game, Game & Watch, Nintendo plug & play retro consoles, PlayStation Classic, PocketStation and add-ons in general were excluded; also eduteintment systems like Sega Pico were excluded).

xvffAqF.jpeg

Yes I will double down on my original point, Nintendo will never have their luxurious handlheld market for them, now how about sharing the numbers of the "console space" that they competed directly with Sony in? Numbers wont be pretty at all.

So yes, they are So PTSDed to the point that they just recently mentioned that they want nothing with "competition"

So even Mayamoto doesn't agree with your conclusion 😅

Last edited:

Synastry

well of course you will have higher margins if your entire business model is revolving around buying the cheapest tech from Nvidia and ripping off your fanbase with "never discounted" games all this while doing your bare minimum at providing any advancement to gaming industry! Voice chat? What is that! VR? Nah.. any GPU tech? Nah... Upscalers? Nooo...SSD?...nah.

Shhh .. just buy whatever outdated tech in our industry , sell it .. profit!

While looking at Sony, they have always been at the cutting edge trying their best to forward the industry and the examples are plenty with the latest PSSR tech that rivals Nvidias best efforts, PS4 cache scrubbers and ALU config that was carried over to AMD roadmap, PS5 SSD that even predated the speeds of the standard PCI, VR ventures ...they are trying to advance the industry all while having really advance infrastructure for online and cloud streaming.

Of course margins will never be the same! And this luxury for Nintendo won't last once Portable PC gain more traction and the big boys arrive!

Yes I will double down on my original point, Nintendo will never have their luxurious handlheld market for them, now how about sharing the numbers of the "console space" that they competed directly with Sony in? Numbers wont be pretty at all.

So yes, they are So PTSDed to the point that they just recently mentioned that they want nothing with "competition"

So even Mayamoto doesn't agree with your conclusion 😅
Agree Nintendo is the king of under power home consoles.

sH356cC.jpeg

A curiosity:

* Note:

xvffAqF.jpeg
Now remove the handhelds and only post Nintendo Home Console's vs PS Home Console's.

Do you have a link to that video by chance? I've probably seen it already but if it's a recent vid there's a chance I haven't, and I like watching these deep retrospectives.

Top Bottom