• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kendrick Lamar is performing at Super Bowl LIX Halftime Show

Hrk69

Gold Member
iOzfFwR.jpeg

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's apparent some of ya'll have absolutely no idea what you're talking about with Kendrick Lamar

Isn't that the problem though? He doesn't have the broad appeal of Usher or Rhianna. Plus that isn't a stadium song you linked.

Last edited:
Would rather be entertained by Lamar Odom

Edit: actually can’t think of a less entertaining Lamar than Kendrick.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
The Weeknd performed in 2021 and Shakira performed at the 2020 show.

Neither of those are considered rock bands. 15 years ago you had people like Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, Springsteen, The Who, Tom Petty, etc. You're not going to see that again.

Dee Snyder of Twisted Sister has been pressing the NFL for a long time about it and it's not going to change.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Exactly. You're only getting hip hop and R&B from now on. Jay Z and Beyonce produce the half-time show and book the acts. You'll never see a rock band playing it again as long as they run it.
They won’t be doing that forever. It’s not like they have a 20 year contract to produce the half time show.

But yeah, rock music has faded in popularity in general. But I imagine many of the 2000s acts that are trying to have come backs would be contenders for the job in the next several years.

RedC

They won’t be doing that forever. It’s not like they have a 20 year contract to produce the half time show.

But yeah, rock music has faded in popularity in general. But I imagine many of the 2000s acts that are trying to have come backs would be contenders for the job in the next several years.
It's highly unlikely due to the music no longer matching the audience, which were the complaints in previous years when they had groups like Coldplay perform.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

They pretty much have an infinite contract:

In 2019, Jay Z's company Roc Nation was named the NFL’s Live Music Entertainment Strategist as a part of the NFL’s Inspire Change Initiative. The initiative also focuses on the league’s social justice efforts and was launched following the NFL's controversial treatment of former player Colin Kaepernick, who kneeled during the national anthem to protest police brutality during the 2016 season.

Neither of those are considered rock bands. 15 years ago you had people like Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, Springsteen, The Who, Tom Petty, etc. You're not going to see that again.

Dee Snyder of Twisted Sister has been pressing the NFL for a long time about it and it's not going to change.
My response was more in regards to your point of 'only rap and R&B from now on' being incorrect.

If you want rock music to come back, rock in general would have to make a comback like RedC RedC stated.

There is a much higher likelihood that a country artist or two will be featured in the next few years since that genre is currently on the rise with younger demographics.

ManaByte

Gold Member
There is a much higher likelihood that a country artist or two will be featured in the next few years since that genre is currently on the rise with younger demographics.

Nah he'll just have his wife do it again and torment the billions watching the show with her cover of Jolene.

RedC

Nah he'll just have his wife do it again and torment the billions watching the show with her cover of Jolene.
Coincidentally enough, there's been heavy speculation that Beyonce's next album is a Rock album and will conclude her trilogy of albums recorded during the pandemic that spotlight the overlooked contributions of African American pioneers to American musical and cultural history.

Based on your responses you seem to have a general gripe against Jay Z, so I'm not sure where to go from here conversationally.

Just know that there's a high likelihood of Shaboozey being featured as one of the country artists in question since he is one of the primary people boosting the country genre this year.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Based on your responses you seem to have a general gripe against Jay Z, so I'm not sure where to go from here conversationally.

Just know that there's a high likelihood of Shaboozey being featured as one of the country artists in question since he is one of the primary people boosting the country genre this year.

My gripe is the same as Dee Snyders. Due to Jay Z and Beyonce controlling the half time show you'll only ever have very specific genres of music performed there.

My gripe is the same as Dee Snyders. Due to Jay Z and Beyonce controlling the half time show you'll only ever have very specific genres of music performed there.
I just showed you evidence of Pop, Latin, and R&B being featured recently along with Rap. That's 4 genres.

At a certain point this becomes less about specific genres and more about your favorite genre not being in the spotlight anymore. No one can do anything about that except rock artists themselves.

Edit: On a side note, I will say that this is a pretty fun moment for me. Usually me and you never really clash on anything here, so it feels like one of those friendly wrestling matches between two faces in WWE.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Country music is on the rise (Jelly Bean, Mickey Guyton)

Hip Hop is the most popular genre of music (which itself can bridge other genres)

Pop music isn't going anywhere in popularity (which, again, can bridge other genres)

Rock has been on the wane for a while now... Not saying it isn't still popular and has lots of fans, but it isn't what it was in the 80s and 90s. It just didn't keep up with the times in the 00s like other genres did. Country is just now really reaching new audiences because of its new diversity (charlie pride and Johnny Mathis can't be the only diversity in country music) ...

I predict years from now we'll have Irish and African fusion Country music as music from Ireland and some African countries have similar music to American country music.

Kendrick Lamar is one award away from being an EGOT (IIRC) and he's a sought after talent.

Oh, and Michael Jackson was Rock... He performed different genres since the Thriller album (Thriller song itself was Rock) ... A lot of his most popular songs cannot be called R&B ...

IntentionalPun

Isn't that the problem though? He doesn't have the broad appeal of Usher or Rhianna. Plus that isn't a stadium song you linked.
He’s insanely popular, and still currently relevant. Everything Kendrick does becomes the most popular thing for ages. He just doesn’t put out an insane amount of music like other modern rappers do.

And rap is an insanely popular genre too, this thread is weird lol. Like the most popular genre for about the last 20 years.

Last edited:
And rap is an insanely popular genre too, this thread is weird lol. Like the most popular genre for about the last 20 years.
It's less weird and more understandable if you understand the average demographic and age here.

There was a small period of time where rap and rock fans saw eye to eye and shook hands, as both were disliked by older audiences in the late 90s and 2000s. That time unfortunately passed right after rap became the new #1 go to genre while rock was stuck in the same place since the 2000s.

SJRB

Gold Member
Didn't Kendrick Lamar once ask Flying Lotus to compose an entire album of instrumental tracks for him and then he just shelved it?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
He’s insanely popular, and still currently relevant. Everything Kendrick does becomes the most popular thing for ages. He just doesn’t put out an insane amount of music like other modern rappers do.

Sure but he has only been mainstream popular for maybe 10 years, not really long enough, especially in the streaming era, to be familiar to you, your grandma, and your kids which is what the Superbowl half time show generally goes for.

IntentionalPun

Sure but he has only been mainstream popular for maybe 10 years, not really long enough, especially in the streaming era, to be familiar to you, your grandma, and your kids which is what the Superbowl half time show generally goes for.
10 years of mainstream popularity (more like 12) is longer then several artists in the past.

And we’ve had several artists so old/out of the mainstream that young people barely heard their music or couldn’t name their songs lol. It’s fine to do both.

Last edited:
People talking about Kendrick likie this...damn.

Am i the only guy in his mid 30's still not stuck at the "good ol days" and hears everything that's new and comes out?

Even the newest Billie Eilish new album is great.

I was talking with my sister yesterday about this and she's like 31 and the most recent stuff she hears is from like 2011, unless if it's a HUGE thing that comes out. I hope i'll never be that person.

Even if you're not a mainstream kind of guy there's so much music coming out every week. Spotify is great to discover new stuff like that tbh.

People talking about Kendrick likie this...damn.

Am i the only guy in his mid 30's still not stuck at the "good ol days" and hears everything that's new and comes out?

Even the newest Billie Eilish new album is great.

I was talking with my sister yesterday about this and she's like 31 and the most recent stuff she hears is from like 2011, unless if it's a HUGE thing that comes out. I hope i'll never be that person.

Even if you're not a mainstream kind of guy there's so much music coming out every week. Spotify is great to discover new stuff like that tbh.
You sound like a fellow New Music Friday enjoyer. There aren't many of us here but I always appreciate anyone willing to actually give new music and artists a listen.

Pejo

As long as it's not that mumble shit, I don't really care. All of the rock bands that are big enough to play a Superbowl are probably in their 60's or older, so that's getting less and less likely as time goes on, until the next big rock revival comes.

RAÏSanÏa

Haven't watched one of these things in years.
Might've watched if it was Sabrina Carpenter.

The lyrics she'd put to those songs!

Top Bottom