• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kendrick Lamar is performing at Super Bowl LIX Halftime Show

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
It's a financial and fame ridden win, unfortunately... the NFL has been dead to me for more than 20 years. The players are just insurance policies and help carry advertisements. I miss watching this back in the 80s and early 90s... when the hits looked painful and you could hear the strong grunts through the crowd. :messenger_moon:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
As long as it's not that mumble shit, I don't really care. All of the rock bands that are big enough to play a Superbowl are probably in their 60's or older, so that's getting less and less likely as time goes on, until the next big rock revival comes.

Yeah, Kendrick isn't a mumble rapper. He's a Pulitzer prize winner for music, 17 Grammys, nominated for an Oscar (the Black Panther soundtrack), an Emmy and a ton of others. He has his bonafides.

Edit: if you want to listen to something akin to Digable Planets, listen to his "To Pimp a Butterfly" album. You won't regret it.

Last edited:
I miss watching this back in the 80s and early 90s... when the hits looked painful and you could hear the strong grunts through the crowd. :messenger_moon:
Maybe one day in the far future you will get your wish again and watch robots tackle each other as hard as they can to the point where their parts are falling off.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Maybe one day in the far future you will get your wish again and watch robots tackle each other as hard as they can to the point where their parts are falling off.
Not unless they are cyborgs, Or, Contracted humans with cybernetic advancements that play for sport, wealth and fame.
On a side note, I could see Death Games become a thing in the far future.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Metallica will keep people in the seats. This means people NOT buying $100 shots of beer and $150 nachos.
I think you rather underestimate the appeal of the half time show - the half time show is about bringing in a new audience to the event, meaning that if non-sports fans watch, the NFL's broadcasters get an audience of sports fans AND music fans to sell to advertisers.

It's not about Nachos, even really expensive ones!

Hrk69

Gold Member
People talking about Kendrick likie this...damn.

Am i the only guy in his mid 30's still not stuck at the "good ol days" and hears everything that's new and comes out?

Even the newest Billie Eilish new album is great.

I was talking with my sister yesterday about this and she's like 31 and the most recent stuff she hears is from like 2011, unless if it's a HUGE thing that comes out. I hope i'll never be that person.

Even if you're not a mainstream kind of guy there's so much music coming out every week. Spotify is great to discover new stuff like that tbh.
I'm always searching for new tunes, nothing gets me more excited when I discover something new and it sounds good

I dont understand people who say that there is no good music coming out nowaydays.

FeralEcho

Am i the only guy in his mid 30's still not stuck at the "good ol days" and hears everything that's new and comes out?

I was talking with my sister yesterday about this and she's like 31 and the most recent stuff she hears is from like 2011, unless if it's a HUGE thing that comes out. I hope i'll never be that person.

Even if you're not a mainstream kind of guy there's so much music coming out every week. Spotify is great to discover new stuff like that tbh.
Better the "good ol days" than

30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by Peacock

But I do agree on the fact that there's alot of good music out there,whether new or old,you just have to be willing to check it out.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

There's only so much time in the day. The newest band I've gotten really into is Sleep Token. You can't listen,read,watch everything so I am pretty picky. I'm fine with just listening to old stuff if it still moves me in some way. Bille Eilish is good at what she does but I find her music boring.

You know you're an old git when you can remember good 1/2 time shows.

They used to be fun and had actual musicians that actually were able to sing and play actual instruments.

But then again I don't watch the NFL or the NBA anymore. Used to be about the team more so, now it's just about a few showboaters that can barely sound like they have actual thoughts, too much social and political agendas injected into it, too many players being cry babies and so on.

I got free tickets to a game years ago and saw the inzones had black lives matter written in them, they didn't play the national anthem, and during the pre game the announcer was promoting some black program. I've never watched a game since then. I just wanted to watch a football game.

Now I only watch the NHL, but even they almost lost me with their pride shenanigans, but they quickly corrected that.

SNG32

The NFL handed the half time show over to Jay Z in 2019. You're never seeing anything like Prince or U2 performing there ever again.
The funny thing is Kendrick has a song with U2 so he definitely could have them up there in his halftime show. Hell he could even bring Taylor Swift up there since he has a song with here too. I don’t see how this is a bad choice. He’s a great performer and he’s going to kill the Super Bowl halftime show.

Last edited:
The funny thing is Kendrick has a song with U2 so he definitely could have them up there in his halftime show. Hell he could even bring Taylor Swift up there since he has a song with here too. I don’t see how this is a bad choice. He’s a great performer and he’s going to kill the Super Bowl halftime show.
That’s one of the reasons why rap was able to last so long in the spotlight: the artists weren’t afraid to genre-blend and experiment.

Pop rap
Emo rap
Acoustic rap
Metal rap
Lo-fi rap
EDM rap
Club rap
UK drill
NY drill
Jazz rap
etc.

…And these were the bigger artists (like Kendrick for example) doing this type of experimentation. Multiple other genres and bigger acts in those genres have been so insulated in comparison. It’s interesting to witness.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
That’s one of the reasons why rap was able to last so long in the spotlight: the artists weren’t afraid to genre-blend and experiment.

Pop rap
Emo rap
Acoustic rap
Metal rap
Lo-fi rap
EDM rap
Club rap
UK drill
NY drill
Jazz rap
etc.

…And these were the bigger artists (like Kendrick for example) doing this type of experimentation. Multiple other genres and bigger acts in those genres have been so insulated in comparison. It’s interesting to witness.

And sometimes all a rap song needs is a live band like this and it almost becomes rap rock

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

Pop rap
Emo rap
Acoustic rap
Metal rap
Lo-fi rap
EDM rap
Club rap
UK drill
NY drill
Jazz rap
etc.

I think it goes back further though, there was a big move from record labels to try and push people toward rap in the 2000s, I remember various rock and metal crossover things, one example that stands out was MTV putting a show out called "rock respects hip hop" or something similar. I think they'd identified that it was easier to sell hip hop to rock fans than the other way around, so that's what happened.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Better the "good ol days" than

30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by Peacock

But I do agree on the fact that there's alot of good music out there,whether new or old,you just have to be willing to check it out.
It's more than just willingness, finding new music is more work now. There isn't monoculture like there used to be the audience is way more split up and there's way less curation. There are million artists you've never heard of that can sell out 1000 seat venues, but the 10,000 seat venues are mostly being sold by nostalgia acts.

I make it a point to listen to a couple new albums every week and that's how I find new music I like, but I feel like I have to work for what was once a much more passive endeavor.

But also, yeah, most people get wired in on music in their teens and 20s and alienated to newer music by their 40s and 50s. My wife has great taste in music but trying to get her to listen to anything like modern rap is fucking impossible, it's like she can't even hear it.

SF Kosmo

Drake on suicide watch.
I hate to make this about Drake but it's probably fair to say Drake seems way more like a "Super Bowl" act and probably would have been in front of Kendrick in line if not for the summer's shellacking.

Kendrick is definitely who I would rather watch but in terms of universal hits that are Super Bowl levels of broad, he only has a few. Not Like Us might end up being a curse if he has to play it at every concert for the rest of his life.

jason10mm

Gold Member

Pop rap
Emo rap
Acoustic rap
Metal rap
Lo-fi rap
EDM rap
Club rap
UK drill
NY drill
Jazz rap
etc.

Is this why there are so many half decent songs that then get ruined by some guy cutting in to grumble and shout some nonsense before the person who can actually sing comes back?

Sooooo many "pretty little singer + Xl Qtip NAS" songs in my wife's playlist :p

But I'm shocked Taylor Swift isn't the act. Isn't she sleeping with the QB of one of the teams in the superbowl?

RedC

But I'm shocked Taylor Swift isn't the act. Isn't she sleeping with the QB of one of the teams in the superbowl?
It's Travis Kelce, tight end for the Kansas City Chiefs.

From my understanding, There have been several attempts to get Taylor Swift as the headliner but she has so far turned it down.

On another note, MTV just uploaded Kendrick Lamar's 2017 VMA Performance highlighting how great a performer he is.

Is this why there are so many half decent songs that then get ruined by some guy cutting in to grumble and shout some nonsense before the person who can actually sing comes back?

Sooooo many "pretty little singer + Xl Qtip NAS" songs in my wife's playlist :p
I’m sorry to say this but her playlist is at the very top of a large iceberg. This is only a drop of what I am discussing:

As a final note, you don’t have to like any of these songs. I’m just showing the flexibility and versatility of the genre when it blends with others and works with other instruments and sounds to make something new or different.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Its New Orleans. It shouldve been Wayne, period.

Whole Hip Hop world is pissed off about this decision. Its dumb.

WTF has Kendrick done in order to get the Superbowl TWICE before Wayne gets it once?

Last edited:

SNG32

Its New Orleans. It shouldve been Wayne, period.

Whole Hip Hop world is pissed off about this decision. Its dumb.

WTF has Kendrick done in order to get the Superbowl TWICE before Wayne gets it once?
You really want a cooked lil Wayne in 2024 performing on a big stage like that in front of the world. Lil Wayne isn’t the same Wayne he was when he was in his Apex after the Carter 3. They should have had him do it in 2013. Don’t get me wrong lil Wayne is a legend but when it comes to a perfomance he’s not fucking with Kendrick. Kendrick has the creativity to execute something amazing on stage. I’ve seen him twice at concerts and he’s an amazing performer and he sounds just as good live if not better than he does in the studio. Lil Wayne in 2024 live? let me just say this I don’t want to hear the negativity after his performance. This is the first time a solo hip hop artist has performed at the Super Bowl only ones that I can think of that could do it Justice at this moment is Eminem, Travis Scott and Kendrick Lamar. Drake could do it too but I dunno I think he’s a bit boring on stage. By me saying this it would be great if Kendrick bring Lil Wayne out but I don’t think Wayne should headline.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I actually can't wait. I've gotten to know Kendrick's music over the last few months... The man is talented and actually has messages in his songs that's been missing in mainstream rap for the last 25 years...

For folks who think rap is just "ho, bitch, get money, weed, etc", it used to have messages like unity, stand up for yourself and others, good clean fun, etc... but the records that sold the most were the gangsta rap and faux gangsta rap albums... So artists like Kid n Play, MC Hammer, Queen Latifah, Salt n Peppa, MC Lyte, etc were phased out in favor of vapid club hits (not that there's anything wrong with that) and songs about bitches and ho's ... Because that's what sold to the majority population because that's where the money was. Not in wholesome hip hop anymore. Even NWA (who weren't gangstas, just rapped about what they saw in their neighborhood) were too wholesome for (relatively speaking) paying music buyers so they were phased out too or broken up covertly.

I blame the record companies for what rap has become ...

But it's slowly turning back around and getting back to diverse topics ... You got Kendrick, Childish Gambino and some others who are breaking through in the mainstream.

SF Kosmo

I really don't get Kendrick Lamar. At all.

Yes, I'm old.

But I get lil wayne.
Complete opposite, Lil Wayne ruins every song I have ever heard him on, I don't even understand how he ends up I GOAT conversations.

But Kendrick is the greatest rapper of his generation and it's not even close in my opinion.

SF Kosmo

I actually can't wait. I've gotten to know Kendrick's music over the last few months... The man is talented and actually has messages in his songs that's been missing in mainstream rap for the last 25 years...

For folks who think rap is just "ho, bitch, get money, weed, etc", it used to have messages like unity, stand up for yourself and others, good clean fun, etc... but the records that sold the most were the gangsta rap and faux gangsta rap albums... So artists like Kid n Play, MC Hammer, Queen Latifah, Salt n Peppa, MC Lyte, etc were phased out in favor of vapid club hits (not that there's anything wrong with that) and songs about bitches and ho's ... Because that's what sold to the majority population because that's where the money was. Not in wholesome hip hop anymore. Even NWA (who weren't gangstas, just rapped about what they saw in their neighborhood) were too wholesome for (relatively speaking) paying music buyers so they were phased out too or broken up covertly.

I blame the record companies for what rap has become ...

But it's slowly turning back around and getting back to diverse topics ... You got Kendrick, Childish Gambino and some others who are breaking through in the mainstream.
To be fair, there are some real reasons why conscious rap played itself out, and some of it is the commercial appeal of gangsta and party rap, but some of it also that a lot of conscious rappers really struggled to find a relatable persona. So much of conscious rap in the 90s involved this sort of "Listen to me, I'm the enlightened one" posture that has been around since KRS-One but really got wack with guys like Arrested Development. Or it was full of dubious hotep kind of shit.

I think Kendrick managed to approach conscious subject matter in a really different way, where he talks about conscious subject matter from a personal perspective, like "This is my experience with generational trauma and poverty," and he brings real pathos to it. He isn't trying to be a teacher or a preacher, he's okay to show his flaws.

dem

Complete opposite, Lil Wayne ruins every song I have ever heard him on, I don't even understand how he ends up I GOAT conversations.

But Kendrick is the greatest rapper of his generation and it's not even close in my opinion.

People will hate this.. but..

I feel like Wayne pretty much created modern hip hop..

And Kendrick is just another Lupe Fiasco. (except I can stand listening to Lupe... and I just can't with Kendrick)

And now I'm going to run away.

Last edited:

SNG32

And Kendrick is just another Lupe Fiasco

Wayne contributed alot to modern hip hop along with Kanye and Yes Kendrick is like Lupe but with the better career and accolades.

SF Kosmo

And Kendrick is just another Lupe Fiasco. (except I can stand listening to Lupe... and I just can't with Kendrick)

I wouldn't compare Kendrick to Lupe at all. I respect Lupe, but I kind of find him closer to MF DOOM, like a lyrical miracle kind of guy who wants to show how he can rhyme 6 syllables in every bar, but fuck if the song is about anything.

Kendrick is different, and I get if he doesn't click with people right away because he doesn't quite fit into the usual archetypes. He's got a funny voice and often uses it in weird ways, making his voice crack like he's about to cry or being real quiet and soft spoken, and then going hard a million miles an hour in the next verse.

No one in the game has a more dynamic flow than Kendrick, he changes up like a jazz drummer. And he's one of the best writers out there too, able to tell stories, or handle really heavy subject matter, or just be funny and hooky. His albums are like these layered narrative concept albums you want to listen to front to back.

Lil Wayne barges into every track like a drunk subway flasher, I'm always like get the fuck out of here man, no one wants to see that.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I wouldn't compare Kendrick to Lupe at all. I respect Lupe, but I kind of find him closer to MF DOOM, like a lyrical miracle kind of guy who wants to show how he can rhyme 6 syllables in every bar, but fuck if the song is about anything.

Kendrick is different, and I get if he doesn't click with people right away because he doesn't quite fit into the usual archetypes. He's got a funny voice and often uses it in weird ways, making his voice crack like he's about to cry or being real quiet and soft spoken, and then going hard a million miles an hour in the next verse.

No one in the game has a more dynamic flow than Kendrick, he changes up like a jazz drummer. And he's one of the best writers out there too, able to tell stories, or handle really heavy subject matter, or just be funny and hooky.

Lil Wayne barges into every track like a drunk subway flasher, I'm always like get the fuck out of here man, no one wants to see that.

I mean this in a funny way .. eff Wayne! He stands for nothing and has no message or positive angle in anything he rapped about ... It's basically the stereotype many people have of modern rap: degrading women, drugs, getting drunk and all to a catchy beat.

Everything you said about Kendrick is 1000% true. Dude is much better than Lupe... Only one even REMOTELY like him is Childish Gambino. This Is America still hits to this day.

SF Kosmo

Like come on, who else could do anything close to this kind of a freestyle flow?

Or storytelling like

Honestly the big issue in the context of the Super Bowl is really that he's not pop enough. Like he's an adult album-oriented artist who has had a handful of occasional crossover hits.

Last edited:

SNG32

Like come on, who else could do anything close to this kind of a freestyle flow?

Or storytelling like

Honestly the big issue in the context of the Super Bowl is really that he's not pop enough. Like he's an adult album-oriented artist who has had a handful of occasional crossover hits.

He’s got songs with some of the biggest pop acts Beyonce, Rihanna, The Weeknd, Taylor Swift U2 and Maroon 5.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
The halftime show is cool and all but can we acknowledge that superbowl licks is kinda funny when you think about it.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Why did they allow usher to perform last year? I’d like to see Kendrick right now because next February is a lot of time, NFL sign Kendrick right now to perform super bowls for the next 10 years.

Top Bottom