• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kepler - There's two SoCs in development for next-gen PlayStation, not sure if it's a Series X/S situation or home console + handheld

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
They won't use the "S" suffix—it's too Xboxy. And they can't not have a disc drive at all. There will always be a disc drive add-on sold separately going forward. The only difference is that it may just become less integrated—from something that looks like it was made with the console to being just an external disc loader connected via USB C cable.
I know, but some people are saying it's gonna be PS6 and Ps6 Pro which literally makes the PS6 a PS6 S. I'm still going with no disc drive.

Handheld device & Console. There were rumours they were deeply observing the handheld market once the PsPortal success caught them off guard. A handheld device with its own soc Is all but inevitable at this point. I'd be overjoyed to see either a touchscreen psp or a vita successor.

Banjo64

cumsessed
PS Handheld is going to have a hard time retailing for similar to the Claw, Deck, Rog Ally when they don’t have any online costs and Sony does. What’s the benefit of opting for Sony in that case?

I’m guessing the PS5 & PS5 Digital Edition are two SoCs as well?

If so, it might not be a “X/S” situation but a “same console, bigger SSD and comes with the base and cables”

skit_data

I’m guessing the PS5 & PS5 Digital Edition are two SoCs as well?
Nope

Edit: Actually, I guess the first batch of Standard/Digital Editions could have differences because there's no disc drive connector on the Digital Edition, but now they're same

Last edited:

ArcaneNLSC

Official new next-gen speculation thread?

Hall Of Fame Game Nfl GIF
Do we reach 4000 or 5000 pages before the unveiling of next generation consoles

My money is on the portable, thanks to Steam Deck and Nintendo Switch.

But make me curious about if will be a portable PS4 target or something indeed next gen.

I was thinking about this... and it could be that the "Series S" is also a handheld. Obviously the performance would be a lot worse than if it was a 200 W $599 console.

Right now it looks like PS5 performance is maybe possible but it would cause the cost to be a lot. I'm not even sure a PS5 Pro shrunk to TSMC A16 with dropped clocks would be enough to get the power down to handheld levels.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Lot of folks poo pooing the idea of a 'lite' console due to the XSS but as I've said elsewhere I think it was just a case of poor execution. I've posted this before but I'd argue if they did something more like this then the whole concept would've been much better received and would be causing far less problems; take a haircut on the XSX, simplify things a little and bring the XSS up to snuff:

KpOVqfv.png

If Sony could focus on scaling the GPU back to 50-66%, preferably by using chiplet GCDs, but retain the same clocks, featureset and other components, pull the RAM/Bandwidth back to ~75% and then differentiate/cut costs further with things such as storage/ports, non-critical features and knock-on savings as a result of less power draw/heat dissipation from the GPU (PSU, Heatsink, VRMs etc.) then they might have a winner on their hands.

In this eg. it'd pretty much be a case of scaling back resolution and perhaps picking between ML capabilities.

With a handheld PS6 more fundamental stuff such as memory bandwidth could hold back the main system.

If they are doing a handheld I'd prefer to see a dedicated unit that does native PS1, PS2, PS4, PSVita, PSP, limited Native titles & by then, maybe scaled back PS5 stuff; add in Remote Play, Streaming of all platforms, an Android/Linux sandbox...

It'd be really nice to get a whole new unified "PSP" line consisting of a PS Portal with an OLED, a PS Portable that is the same as the PS Portal but with local hardware built-in that can achieve the above stuff up to PS4 Pro level (and perhaps the aforementioned PS5 stuff) and a PS Pocket that is a Vita-sized device that is a real handheld but is limited to base PS4 performance. Options for everyone! They'd function as comprehensive legacy consoles and you could dock them too.

Ideally they'd miniaturise the PS3's problematic elements and even an early revision PS2(+PS1 subsystem) into a ultra-tiny, ultra-low power chiplet to be added in to SoCs on future mainline home consoles, handheld consoles, a low cost legacy console and their cloud servers. They could then monetise this further with add-on PS Plus tiers for each platform.

Imagine it's 2032 and you have a choice of PS Legacy, PS6 Lite, PS6 Slim & PS6 Pro; PS Portal, PS Pocket & PS Portable; and you can access nearly the entire PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5, PSP, PSVita & PS6 library in multiple ways across most of the lineup. to me, that would be real value.

Last edited:
If your gonna launch 2 skus then one of them should be a handheld that plays the same exact games as the console (but with lower resolution, frame rate, AA, etc.). MS basically proved that launching 2 consoles doesn't work. Nintendo proved that people want a living room + handheld experience. Dual launching a PS6 and a PSP could work if I could access/play my library on both devices.

Top Bottom