• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kepler - There's two SoCs in development for next-gen PlayStation, not sure if it's a Series X/S situation or home console + handheld

Please don’t be a series s/x situation.

"One thing that can be said is that if you look at the history of the game business, creating a special low priced, reduced spec console is something that has not had great results in the past. We've considered that option and seen other executives who have attempted this discover how problematic it is."

He added: "Based on our research, it's clear that people who buy a game console want to continue using it for four, five, six or even seven years. They want to believe they have bought something that is future-proofed and not going to be outdated in two-to-three years.
"They want to have faith that if they end up buying a new TV that their current console will be able to support that new 4K TV they are considering on buying."

Jim Ryan

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Won't a handheld hold it back even more?
Maybe there will be a high end PS6 Pro at launch and Sony say up front we aren't doing a refresh this gen, here are the two options

Season 2 Thumbs Up GIF by The Good Place

W11d

Anyway it will be hard for Sony to market PS6 just for it's power. The visual difference between ps5 and ps6 will be even harder to see. Cross gen period will last even longer. So a lot of games will still target PS5 as a base in 2034

Astray

The reality is that the Series S strategy was brilliant and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it gets copied. Components aren't coming down and console sales aren't growing. They absolutely will be forced to do it to have any hardware at an entry level price point for casual consumers. You can't demand that the entire physical reality of the component market changes to your whims, but you can ask developers to just spend a little more time optimizing very scalable engines. It's really the only logical play. And it will likely have no disc drive, which everyone saw converted MS customers to digital painlessly in the most enviable way possible. MS was right about all of it when they came up with that gameplan years ago, even if consumers didn't respond to it from them.

As for what Sony is doing, no idea. Guess we'll see.
Dude I like you, but I'm sorry, this is distilled delusion.

Series S is the sort of an idea that only a winner would get away with, note that I said "get away with", not be a well-liked device because there's no reason for anyone to like it over the X.

It had no unique use case to differentiate it other than being cheaper, and only served as a major albatross for third parties (and Xbox) throughout its lifetime, MS tried to flog it off for $150 during the last holiday season and they couldn't do it.

It's conception and existence was a fundamental misreading of the gaming market and where it's going.

Anyway it will be hard for Sony to market PS6 just for it's power. The visual difference between ps5 and ps6 will be even harder to see. Cross gen period will last even longer. So a lot of games will still target PS5 as a base in 2034
Ps5pro is Ps6-lite?

Parazels

Maybe there will be a high end PS6 Pro at launch and Sony say up front we aren't doing a refresh this gen, here are the two options

Season 2 Thumbs Up GIF by The Good Place
I don't like this idea for two reasons:

1) Too high price, which could be much lower (affordable), if you released a Pro console 4 years later.
2) Even an expensive Pro console will feel obsolete in the middle of the generation.

Also the current strategy let's Sony decide: to release or do not release a Pro console later.

Last edited:
I would be extremely cautious about drawing conclusions from this. It's entirely possible that there's multiple design configurations being tested, and then they'll settle on a final one.

If I put on my tin foil hat, my hunch would be that they'll launch a day and date Pro model with the regular PS6, although this wouldn't be like the Series X and S, in which a base model was made and then a cheaper scaled down system was made, rather they'll focus on developing the regular PS6 with all the bells and whistles like doubling rasterisation, ray-tracing and AI performance as well as several other "new generation" stuff and from that design they'll scale up a new chip for the Pro.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

1) Too high price, which could be much lower, if you release a Pro console 4 years later.
2) Even expensive Pro console will feel obsolete in the middle the generation.
If done right a pro at launch could easily last a full gen

Problem is people like me would still want that refresh even I bought a pro at launch

$999 30 tflops. 4k
$699 20 tflops. 1440p
I am so in on that high end machine

1) Too high price, which could be much lower (affordable), if you released a Pro console 4 years later.
2) Even expensive Pro console will feel obsolete in the middle of the generation.

Agreed

The only thing they could do is to release a Premium Portal with more functions and an OLED screen at the same time

nial

The Sony handheld is real.
Though, this kinda means that PS5 would be the very last one in SIE's traditional console model since 1994.

XXL

Yeah, I'm really starting to think this PS6 and PS Portal 2.

I mean....

According to recently published sales data, the PlayStation Portal is still selling strongly in major markets. The remote player launched eight months ago amid a lot of skepticism, but it appears the PlayStation Portal's healthy demand continues to defy those expectations.
And this
59552da60648b586ed3006a0ca4b7eadb5ed659a.jpg

Makes Sense GIF by Paramount Network

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
It's just going to be prettier graphics\FPS.
I know, and it's lame. The fact that I can never have played a game, and know 98% of its control scheme, is a testament to how stale it's gotten. I'm also tired of prettier lighting. I want convincing cloth physics, fluid simulation, particle simulation all over the place.

I recognize this is a senseless rant, just in that sort of mood.

Radical_3d

The Office No GIF

I’ll tell you how it’s going to be. You’ll have your adorably all digital PS6 at the same price (500$€££ (get it? sell, hehe)), and then an upgradeable with disk “pro” version for a price that’ll depend on how well the Pro is going to do in different markets (and by the 30th anniversary edition thread I’d say it’ll do just well enough). God, do I hate current day Sony. They better nail this second part of the generation or I’m going PC. And I mean really nail it. With a 2005-like Motorstorm or something like that for the 90s fans. Not only their interactive movies shit.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I suspect Sony will launch with both the vanilla and pro model. Therefore entry level and giga enthusiasts are served day one and no one can really complain. Better play than the handheld which would hold back the main model like Series S, just to invoke a nastier war with Nintendo.

Series X was the main reference system and it's similar in power to PS's main ref system. So having the weaker option stood to hurt it. When the reference system is your weakest model, that doesn't happen. People expected games built from the ground up for PS5/XSX. Not for Pro models that exist to give you a bigger boost, only to be held back by the base model.

Were Sony to launch with both console and handheld. They would have an even bigger headache if they ever wanted to launch a Pro. A frustrating situation for developers. Instead of just hand waving it away that devs should do better, it's the platform's responsibility to facilitate a process that leads to success.

zapper

if they end up making two skus they will be a home and a handled one, it seems to me the only intelligent option after the "success" of portal, the death of traditional home consoles in japan and nishino at the head of the hardware business.

but it's very risky to arrive in 2028 with these two options, especially if nintendo releases switch2 and will be able to run everything that comes out on ps too

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Can someone explain to me HOW can a Sony handheld possibly work??

It seems like bullshit to me
Just a slab the size of a cell phone but no screen or battery. Just the guts.
Dock batteries to the slab for power.
Dock the slab to a portable display, It's a playstation portal.
Dock the Slab to a TV a home console
Dock the Slab to a VR helmet for wireless VR.
Dock thousands into a server to do whatever crazy AI photo gen, crypto whatever is going on in 4 years.

I know, and it's lame. The fact that I can never have played a game, and know 98% of its control scheme, is a testament to how stale it's gotten. I'm also tired of prettier lighting. I want convincing cloth physics, fluid simulation, particle simulation all over the place.

I recognize this is a senseless rant, just in that sort of mood.

Hey if that's what you want that's what you want nothing wrong with that. I'm personally getting more than I ever thought I would out of video games but that's just me. I honestly feel spoiled these days when it comes to games.

Boss Mog

All you guys saying you're in for a handheld... Did you forget about the Vita? The PSVR2? We don't need anymore hardware that won't get proper support.

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

DJ12

Just don't make the standard model so weak

I would have gladly paid $1000 or more for this PS5 Pro thats coming back in 2020
I was thinking of a way to make it make sense earlier, but it's stupid none the less.

If MS are going $1000 with the next "console" in a couple of years, maybe the idea is that a "pro" for $700 would essentially kill that "console".

But it wouldn't surprise me if the base PS6, with PSSR2.0 made it pointless anyway.

I'd prefer it to be a hand held, not because I'd buy it, but working with Sony on a handheld device would probably make AMDs Z1 equivalent in a few years a damn site better and focused on gaming.

Last edited:

zapper

All you guys saying you're in for a handheld... Did you forget about the Vita? The PSVR2? We don't need anymore hardware that won't get proper support.

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office
in theory with their version of dlss they could have a handled capable of running the same games of the home console. or am I wrong?
the support would be guaranteed in that case.

FeralEcho

It's actually just a PS6 but they're now selling it in 2 parts.

It's now 700$ for the casing and gpu and 700$ for the cpu and memory. The rest comes as accessories alongside the disk drive for the low price of 200$ each.

Just don't make the standard model so weak

I would have gladly paid $1000 or more for this PS5 Pro thats coming back in 2020
Sure. It could work if the "weak" model is a handheld with enough memory. The 2 problems of XSS are not enough memory and that those 540p-720p games do look awful on big 4K TVs. Also the low resolution textures (caused by lack of memory) really doesn't help.

But on a handheld with enough memory a lower resolution (with AI upscaling) would be OK. Like I assume Switch 2 will using DLSS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom