• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keurig 2.0 |OT| You wouldn't download a cup of coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.

knicks

This is the shittiest thing in the world. Who would be excited or ever buy this machine?

Keurig VUE and Rivo both flopped hard due to the same bull shit with the K-Cups. No one bought those machines. Why would you pay $150 for a new brewer when your current Keurig is still working perfectly fine and you can purchase 80 K-Cups for $25 on Amazon?

This machine along with their two latest models are huge lose-lose situations for the buyer. The new DRM K-Cups that they sell are completely overpriced in comparison to the original.

How is there a hype thread for Keurig screwing over new consumers???

So this wouldn't work with those little cups you fill/refill with your own ground coffee and stick in the Keurig?

Thats what I wanna know too.

I use these..

51FoSSExdML.jpg

I buy Trader Joe's coffee and other brands and use these refillable cups and they work just fine. That drm (lol) would screw things up eh?

So assuming you don't have to plug this thing into the internet for it to work, whose going to crack it first?

We got Keurig modders somewhere?

Kemal86

Thats what I wanna know too.

I use these..

51FoSSExdML.jpg

I buy Trader Joe's coffee and other brands and use these refillable cups and they work just fine. That drm (lol) would screw things up eh?

Keurig does make their own reusable cups (of course at twice the price of generic ones). I'd hope at least they work fine.

Sapiens

The first time I ever had a K-cup I asked myself what kind of lazy asshole would you have to be to not make coffee any other fucking way.

This shit tastes like my great grandmother's cunt wax.

Eusis

How is there a hype thread for Keurig screwing over new consumers???
Fascination with new tech and how it works. I actually think what they're doing is a neat idea... if they'd only make you have to put in settings manually if you didn't go with Keurig. It's the difference between novel new gadget and scummy attempt to hold control that you're SUPPOSED to be losing... but that novel angle's still there so some of us like to watch it even if we don't buy it (though I guess many ARE.)

nomster

The first time I ever had a K-cup I asked myself what kind of lazy asshole would you have to be to not make coffee any other fucking way.

This shit tastes like my great grandmother's cunt wax.
What kind of stuff were you drinking? Most keurig cups I've had stand up to normal American drip coffee. It's no espresso but it gets the job done.

Mr. Hyde

I'm a mild coffee snob of sorts, and the thing brews a Fucking great cup coffee if you use fresh ground coffee of your choice, in a reusable gold filter cup.

Really excellent. Also valuable to note is that the brewing all happens in the cup, so there's no buildup of flavors from prior brews.

I also like a lot of the prepackaged cups, right now the Hawaiian blend from Tully's is my favorite.

Are you allowed to use the reusable cup in this model? If so, then it would be a viable option for making good coffee in this machine. I am not sure if I could ever buy prepackaged coffee when I generally buy my coffee on roasting day wherever I am getting it and use it up within a week.

jstripes

Banned
It's genuinely appalling that a coffee maker has DRM and won't allow you to brew any mix you choose. I have a regular Kurig and ordered an empty reusable cartridge for it so I can put my own grounds in it. I hope this fails hard. But I know it won't.

#NOKURIGDRM

That's what I use. I'm not giving up that ability.

ShowDog

Why would you buy this over the original Kuerig? The nightlight? I have a Kuerig and only use it with ekobrew cups filled with ground coffee because even unlicensed k-cups are overpriced. I wouldn't buy again.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Why would you buy this over the original Kuerig? The nightlight? I have a Kuerig and only use it with ekobrew cups filled with ground coffee because even unlicensed k-cups are overpriced. I wouldn't buy again.
Yeah I really don't get it. You think they would have Trojan Horsed their DRM in with some actual significant product improvements.

psychotron

New machine delivered today, the 550, which is the "best" one. Sample cups were not included, the screen has a white vertical line running down the left side, and it won't accept ANY of my k-cups. These are brand new, including Diet Peach Snapple. I just called and voiced my extreme level of anger over this issue. Rep was nice enough but said corporate would need to call me, tomorrow. So pissed. Full price for a lemon that didn't even come with everything.

New machine delivered today, the 550, which is the "best" one. Sample cups were not included, the screen has a white vertical line running down the left side, and it won't accept ANY of my k-cups. These are brand new, including Diet Peach Snapple. I just called and voiced my extreme level of anger over this issue. Rep was nice enough but said corporate would need to call me, tomorrow. So pissed. Full price for a lemon that didn't even come with everything.

Is your wife still sold on it?

Keurig coffee is not very good. I've tried so many of the pods and they all have the same weird after taste. I drink it at work because it's all we have and it's free but I would never buy one of these for my home.

Agreed. I've tried Keurig many times before and from many different machines; the coffee is always weak, not hot enough, and has a weird aftertaste.

Mobius 1

Fuck Keurig with a thorny club for two reasons:
- Growing our massive landfills with KCups.
- Perpetuating shit coffee.
- Setting the precedent that you can "DRM" food.

Oh wait, three reasons. Still, the pox on them.

SeanR1221

Got one at costco. It's all they stock now. Eventually, consumers won't have a choice.

All I drink is the pacific bold and Starbucks ones. My wife is happy with it

mkenyon

Banned
Gave mine to my grandfather. He loves it as he can easily make coffee now that my grandmother passed away.

I went back to a drip/ conical Burr grinder combo because the coffee was just too weak.
The few times I've had Keurig, I've had to have like 3 cups of it to stop feeling like I was dying from lack of coffee.

The hot water/carafe would actually be pretty nice...if it could get water to ~95C, which I'm almost certain it can't. My girlfriend has an older model that is used pretty much solely for fill cups with hot water for herbal tea. A bit hotter and I could use it for loose leaf tea and pour over coffee.

SeanR1221

The hot water/carafe would actually be pretty nice...if it could get water to ~95C, which I'm almost certain it can't. My girlfriend has an older model that is used pretty much solely for fill cups with hot water for herbal tea. A bit hotter and I could use it for loose leaf tea and pour over coffee.

I just checked for you. I got 75C

Eusis

Fuck Keurig with a thorny club for two reasons:
- Growing our massive landfills with KCups.
- Perpetuating shit coffee.
- Setting the precedent that you can "DRM" food.

Oh wait, three reasons. Still, the pox on them.
Man, now I realized that had these people been around to invent the microwave they would've undoubtedly tried similar bullshit with that.

Are the patents on their machines run out too though?

zroid

Banned
I dunno, I kinda like cheap knockoff K-Cups

also would this not be compatible with the re-usable filters?

Shots fired!

Upcoming RealCup Brand Capsules Compatible with Keurig 2.0 Brewers

"Mother Parkers have figured out a way to make Real Cups compatible with the 2.0 brewer WITHOUT getting them licensed through Keurig."

*RealCup™ and EcoCup™ brands and Mother Parkers Tea & Coffee have no affiliation with Keurig Green Mountain Inc., Keurig® or K-Cup®. Keurig® and K-Cup®are registered trademarks of Keurig Green Mountain Inc.

http://www.singleservecoffee.com/archives/046497.php

Press Release: http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1401452/realcuptm-brand-capsules-compatible-with-keurig-2-0-brewers
Mother Parkers Tea & Coffee announces technology for independent capsule brands; ensuring continued freedom of choice for consumers

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Firmware update incoming?

ps. I can't believe I'm wondering about a firmware update for a fucking coffee maker.

MercuryLS

Banned
I never understood the appeal of Keurigs machines. You could easily make much better coffee with a French press. Grind some beans, put in some hot water and 5 mins later you have great coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom