• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keurig to start using DRM in it's coffee makers to stop coffee pirates

Status
Not open for further replies.
You wouldn't brew a car.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/3/5465578/keurig-locking-down-coffee-makers-to-block-cheap-refills

Green Mountain dominates the single-serve coffee market with its popular Keurig brewers and K-Cups, the little plastic pods that now come in over 200 licensed varieties. The rise of Keurig has even prompted brands like Starbucks, Folgers, and Dunkin' Donuts to release their own K-Cups, which users insert into the Keurig each time they want a cup of coffee. But other, unlicensed companies have also been able to hop on the bandwagon thanks to crucial patents that expired in 2012. That gave competitors the opportunity to produce generic K-Cups and price them lower than Green Mountain's official line. And consumers have noticed: generic Keurig pods have seen a steady rise in popularity.

But Green Mountain wants to put a stop to that momentum. Much like your inkjet printer, refills are the real money-maker of the Keurig platform. So to ensure consumers stick with its own K-Cups moving forward, Green Mountain is implementing the physical equivalent of a DRM system with Keurig 2.0 — which will start appearing on store shelves this year. Aside from offering a larger 28-ounce serving size, Keurig's next line of brewers will contain "interactive technology" designed to lock out unlicensed K-Cups. On a recent earnings call, CEO Brian Kelley insisted the change is primarily meant to "ensure the system delivers on the promise of excellent quality beverages produced simply and consistently every time."

BUYING COFFEE WILL SOON BE JUST AS ANNOYING AS BUYING PRINTER INK

It will also protect Green Mountain's multibillion-dollar K-Cup business — assuming consumers see a need to upgrade their existing brewers. If not, unlicensed K-Cup pods will likely continue eating into Green Mountain's bottom line. Kelley seems confident Keurig owners will make the transition. "Any time new technology comes out and it's a better technology and you love the brand and you offer a better product, you generally get consumers to switch," he said. Before that change occurs, Green Mountain is hoping to establish working relationships with companies producing unlicensed Keurig pods. But some aren't pleased with Keurig's direction; TreeHouse Foods has already sued Green Mountain, accusing the company of anticompetitive business practices.

tw1164

WTF? They need to just accept the patent is expired. They can still compete on quality, you just have to show your product it worth the extra money.

7aged

Never heard of this Keurig.
Nespresso seems to be the biggest in Europe, but there's lots of different systems.

Somnid

Again DRM is used as a four-letter word. Obviously there's nothing digital about this and so the word does not apply in any sense. The article is slightly more clear as it says "physical equivalent of a DRM system" which is also dumb since these practices have existed for much longer than digital goods and thus doesn't need explaining in terms of them. The word itself is used to get a rise.

As far as the content goes, it's dumb and there's little reason to buy a new Keurig machine versus a Keurig compatible one. It's not like they'll stiff people who own the millions of existing machines.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Fuck em, the unlicensed k-cups will remain on the marketshare they have now and just not move forward to this new system.

Why'd you even put out an official ground coffee adapter if you're so worried about people buying in to your own coffee?

You will take my Gevalia Caramel Macchiato from my cold dead hands.

My man.

ib28x2jJxghzO2.jpg

royalan

Eh,

Keurig coffee is terrible anyway. I stopped buying cups for mine and went crying back to french press months ago.

lenovox1

So they are going to start doing what tassimo already does?

Sounds like it. I don't think they couldn't do the barcode thing directly, because Kraft has that stuff patented. But I'm shocked Green Mountain didn't do something like this earlier, before their patent ran out.

lenovox1

Why would a consumer be interested in a product with this restriction, exactly?

Kraft gets away with it with the Tassimo system because you can do a wider array of (bad) coffee drinks in their machine. Who knows what the pull for the new Keurigs will be.

Why would a consumer be interested in a product with this restriction, exactly?

Why would a consumer be interested in this product full-stop? These machines are complete SHIT, I have used two, one from fucking Keurig and one from stupid Tassimo.

Both resulted in delivering shitwater.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
i don't think those are third party.

AFAIK if the cup itself doesn't have the Keurig logo on it or anywhere on the box, it's unlicensed. I just double checked the box and there's nary a Keurig logo to be found, on the bottom it even says "Gevalia is not associated with Keurig in any way."

They're good for a quick cup of coffee, but I got a cartridge a long time ago. Haven't used one of their disposables in years. My wife loves them though, so I guess we're stuff (no matter how much I try and believe me...I try).

maxcriden

Fun fact: I work next to Green Mountain and the smell from there is amazing when they're brewing. I don't even like drinking coffee, but that smell is great.

But doesn't Keurig also sell one of those "fill your own K Cup" things? I can check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure I have an "official" reusable K Cup. Wouldn't that also eat into their bottom line, given you can just buy/grind your own coffee and fill the reusable one?

Regiruler

Lol coffee drinkers
Tea is where it's at.

Seriously though, I would imagine it won't be that hard to somehow bypass. I don't really care one way or another for physical mods, but if there's a will there's a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom