• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keurig to start using DRM in it's coffee makers to stop coffee pirates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought one of these things when I first started drinking coffee cause i was a dumbass. It's not just the cost but all that plastic being thrown out for a single cup of shitty coffee seemed like a gigantic waste to me.

xsarien

daedsiluap
If you're making coffee with a Keurig or a Nespresso or whatever other instant "pod" machines are out there, then you deserve this absurdity.

Beans + grinder + [cup drip/French Press/Aeropress/Siphon/Mocha Pot/Whatever Else] is the only way to go.

Petrie

Banned
"It has no filter, except the filter."

Every coffee maker since man first crush beetles with rocks and used the resulting paste to form a lukewarm paste called "kafee," has been able to make a single cup of coffee. Including the 5 dollar Mr. Coffee machines you get at the same place you get lotto tickets and single serving condoms.

Sure it can. And it's easier to use my Keurig.

People who don't want to brew a full pot of coffee in the morning. It's no different than any other convenience product. I pay $0.30 a cup for Keurig instead of buying a single cup somewhere else. This is smarter than me brewing a pot in the morning only to waste most of it.

You know you can make one cup using a drip or French Press, right?

Hari Seldon

They are going to learn the hard way what happens when you go all crazy DRM lol. If the price of k-cups goes up instead of down, their business is going to tank.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Why are you so mad that k cups are easier to make and people like them? We're glad you found a way to make coffee that makes you happy. I like walking into the break room, not emptying old coffee or replacing a filter, tossing any one of 10 different types into the machine and walking out with a cup in 15 seconds without having to clean anything. Sorry if that upsets you!

I question your premise that these are "people." Oh, also that it's easier to make. Either one works.

Why would a consumer be interested in a product with this restriction, exactly?

Why did so many people buy a Keurig when it was still under patent and all you could get was licensed coffees? It's only been a couple of years that it's been off patent so obviously a lot of people didn't mind the restriction.

It's still bad coffee and way too expensive. Maybe convenient but I'll go through the hassle of making a good cup of coffee

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Fun fact: I work next to Green Mountain and the smell from there is amazing when they're brewing. I don't even like drinking coffee, but that smell is great.

Huh, really? I remember occasionally driving by the Foldgers plant in Jacksonville and it smelled awful. Dunno, maybe they weren't actually brewing coffee in there.

KHarvey16

I question your premise that these are "people." Oh, also that it's easier to make. Either one works.

You question that people like them or that grabbing a cup, placing it under a machine and pushing a button is just as hard or harder than any other conceivable method of making coffee? Both of those things are delusions. You can like what you like without going to ridiculous lengths to justify it.

AlexMogil

YOU CANNOT POSSIBLY BE HAPPY IF YOU DON'T DO IT THE RIGHT WAY AND BY RIGHT WAY PLEASE LET ME SPECIFY THE STEPS IN WHICH YOU ARE INCORRECT AND DUMB, RIGHT FELLAS WHO'S WITH ME

Edit: What KHarvey16 said except I was more of a dick

MechDX

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TGDXNO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

51krUhTKYKL.jpg

Good coffee and bio-degradable cups and at .37 a cup its cheaper than most

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Step 1.) Pop pod into chamber
Step 2.) Place coffee mug into designated area
Step 3.) Press size required
Step 4.) Take pod out
Step 5.) Enjoy coffee and not annoy co-workers.

This isn't rocket science here man.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Why did so many people buy a Keurig when it was still under patent and all you could get was licensed coffees? It's only been a couple of years that it's been off patent so obviously a lot of people didn't mind the restriction.

It's still bad coffee and way too expensive. Maybe convenient but I'll go through the hassle of making a good cup of coffee

Because families like to show their love for each other by purchasing expensive equipment for each other that ends up creating a lifestyle adjustment.

51krUhTKYKL.jpg

This is it. This is the San Francisco shit.

WanderingWind

Stop me if I'm missing a step here.

1) Pour water into machine.
2) Put filter into machine.
3) Put coffee into filter
4) Press button.

Which one of these machines am I talking about?

hesido

Oh, I love the wording.

"..[to] ensure the system delivers on the promise of excellent quality beverages produced simply and consistently every time."

It's almost as if you can feel the love for their customers.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I would never buy a keurig if I couldn't use my reusable filter with my own coffee.

If anything this will tank their sales.

GungHo

I got some of those... let me just say they are very good and have a lot of different flavors. They don't however last as long as the vacuum sealed ones.

The giant boxes at CostCo have maybe 4 or 5 sealed in a secondary baggie, so it keeps.

WanderingWind

You question that people like them or that grabbing a cup, placing it under a machine and pushing a button is just as hard or harder than any other conceivable method of making coffee? Both of those things are delusions. You can like what you like without going to ridiculous lengths to justify it.

I am so deadly serious, you have no idea. So serious. Very serious. Because coffee is serious.

MechDX

I got some of those... let me just say they are very good and have a lot of different flavors. They don't however last as long as the vacuum sealed ones.

Put ours in a rubbermaid container with air proof lid. Keeps them fresh

The giant boxes at CostCo have maybe 4 or 5 sealed in a secondary baggie, so it keeps.

The link I posted has 3 air sealed bags so you don't open them all at once.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

4) Press button.

You're oversimplifying to attempt to prove your awful point. You also have to remove the filter and coffee grinds afterwards, that's at least one more step. And the physical action of measuring out the scoops of coffee takes a bit longer than just slapping the cup in. Is it that big of a difference? No, but it's still there. And then you get into Aeropress and Chemex which are both wonderful systems but require some extra cleanup at the end. People don't want to deal with extra.

Koppai

My boss and the service manager at my work went half/half on buying one for the office with their own money. It's a great invention IMO. :S

WanderingWind

We get it.

Do we?

Step 1.) Pop pod into chamber
Step 2.) Place coffee mug into designated area
Step 3.) Press size required
Step 4.) Take pod out
Step 5.) Enjoy coffee and not annoy co-workers.

This isn't rocket science here man.

Cause...you know.

You're oversimplifying to attempt to prove your awful point. You also have to remove the filter and coffee grinds afterwards, that's at least one more step. And the physical action of measuring out the scoops of coffee takes a bit longer than just slapping the cup in. Is it that big of a difference? No, but it's still there. And then you get into Aeropress and Chemex which are both wonderful systems but require some extra cleanup at the end. People don't want to deal with extra.

Yes, I forgot about removing the used coffee filter. Good thing you don't have to do that with the Kegel machines or whatever.

GungHo

4) Press button.

You forgot "scream at your wife who jerked on the goddamn handle while your finger was still in the receptacle".

Quite a jump. We go to a local coffee shop and pick up the beans already ground (and they taste better than most coffee out there). And she has a little plastic spatula that came with the reusable cups to scoop out 95% of the gunk and tosses it in the trash, so there's no backup in the sink. Literally takes 2 seconds to clean up.

Ew trash? I compost that shit.

lol but seriously I have the reusable K-cup and it's a pain in the ass to clean. Don't have the scooper you're talking about though, I just use a sugar spoon. But the tiny mesh screen is still annoying to wash out.

And I really don't see how using a french press is much of a jump from using a reusable K-cup when you have to grind beans(or buy ground ones), and wash a screen for both of them. Press takes 5 minutes, K-cup takes like 2 minutes, that's the only difference.

51krUhTKYKL.jpg

sweet, will check these out

Zero315

Banned
Huh, really? I remember occasionally driving by the Foldgers plant in Jacksonville and it smelled awful. Dunno, maybe they weren't actually brewing coffee in there.

You pretty much answered your own question. Folgers coffee is really nasty.

Petrie

Banned

4) Press button.

1. With my Keurig I pour water in once a week.
2/3. One step that takes 5 seconds with Keurig
4. I also don't need to remember to turn off my Keurig.

You lose.

Einbroch

Banned
Yes, so stop making the same over-simplified point over and over again.

brb getting some coffee

Ew trash? I compost that shit.

lol but seriously I have the reusable K-cup and it's a pain in the ass to clean. Don't have the scooper you're talking about though, I just use a sugar spoon. But the tiny mesh screen is still annoying to wash out.

And I really don't see how using a french press is much of a jump from using a reusable K-cup when you have to grind beans(or buy ground ones), and wash a screen for both of them. Press takes 5 minutes, K-cup takes like 2 minutes, that's the only difference.

I mean your jump stating that it still requires grinding beans when we never have. Hey, if you like using your french press, feel free. I'm sure if we had one, we'd like it too. But that doesn't mean that the Keurig machines are worse or better, just that they are more convenient at the cost of something more personal or better tasting, if that's true. I've never owned one. Used one, but never owned one.

Valnen

What's the difference between aeropress and french press? I'm sort of in the market for an alternative to drip coffee makers.

jstripes

Banned
Ya, we just use one of those brew-your-own filters that Keurig sells for $15.

A $7 tin of coffee lasts us a month or two.

kick51

Banned
I've never enjoyed the coffee snob coffee. I want my simple cup of caffeine in the morning. It's crazy that some people don't understand this.

using a rubber plunger to push hot water through any coffee ground of your choice is "snobby"?

alrightyyyyyy then

they make caffeine pills, you know

WanderingWind

1. With my Keurig I pour water in once a week.
2/3. One step that takes 5 seconds with Keurig
4. I also don't need to remember to turn off my Keurig.

You lose.

1) It's not a magic water portal. You use exactly the amount of water you use. So, if you only brew one cup in a drip brewery thingy, what does that tell you?
2) And it takes a bit more. Those 3 seconds add up, I'm sure. Probably offsets the insane uptick in price.
3) ?????
4) What is this, 1912? You don't do that with any coffee makers these days. Even the crappy one I bought for my car turns itself off.

Check above, chief. ;3

You aren't that smart or above anyone else just because you can play coy. Stop being a dick and try making an actual argument for once.

Well, I don't think I'm smarter than most people in this thread.

Petrie

Banned
using a rubber plunger to push hot water through any coffee ground of your choice is "snobby"?

alrightyyyyyy then

they make caffeine pills, you know

As I said I want my hot caffeinated drink in the morning. Drinking said hot beverage is part of the experience that gets me going.

xsarien

daedsiluap
I'm going to go drink coffee from a Keurig to spite you people... right now.

Go ahead. I don't necessarily care that people use it - to the extent that I think it creates a lot of waste in empty pods - but with that comes the chance that the pod maker will switch up the design to keep 3rd parties out.

And my coffee tastes better. :)

AlexMogil

Go ahead. I don't necessarily care that people use it - to the extent that I think it creates a lot of waste in empty pods - but with that comes the chance that the pod maker will switch up the design to keep 3rd parties out.

And my coffee tastes better. :)

Sorry can't hear you drinking coffee that is not refined enough for your delicate butterfly of a palette.

Petrie

Banned
1) It's not a magic water portal. You use exactly the amount of water you use. So, if you only brew one cup in a drip brewery thingy, what does that tell you?
2) And it takes a bit more. Those 3 seconds add up, I'm sure. Probably offsets the insane uptick in price.
3) ?????
4) What is this, 1912? You don't do that with any coffee makers these days. Even the crappy one I bought for my car turns itself off.

Well, I don't think I'm smarter than most people in this thread.

I know you want to pretend it doesn't, but using a drip coffee maker takes around 5x as long to get my cup. I've used both methods. I've had experience with it. One is more convenient when I am up and out of the house by 6:30 in the morning. The Keurig is that, and it's worth the premium to me and many others.

You claiming it's 3 seconds is silly.

it's apparently not that simple if you get this defensive about it

I just hate people who are ignorant to why others prefer a product.

WanderingWind

I know you want to pretend it doesn't, but using a drip coffee maker takes around 5x as long to get my cup. I've used both methods. I've had experience with it. One is more convenient when I am up and out of the house by 6:30 in the morning. The Keurig is that, and it's worth the premium to me and many others.

You claiming it's 3 seconds is silly.

Yes, but you're trying to do squats while scooping the grounds. Fucking wait, bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom