• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keurig to start using DRM in it's coffee makers to stop coffee pirates

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I feel some sort of way about people who buy these type of coffee makers. Like, putting a coffee filter and some grounds into a machine is that hard. If that's too hard get a french press. You literally shove down on a plunger and pour. How do you buy mini plastic cups of preground beans that is only different in the shape created to look fancier and dainter so they can overprice the damn thing. It's freaking hot water filtered over beans. It's not even espresso. It's just differently shaped coffee filters. It's like the washed out Instagram filter of coffee. It's the black plastic glasses frame with no lenses of coffee. It's the bowtie with converse sneakers of coffee. It's everything wrong with the world, wrapped up in a stupid, gimmicky, environment destroying plastic cup of proving every cynical marketing fuck on the planet right about humanity.

Some kind of way, I tell you what.

I feel some sort of way about people who buy these type of coffee makers. Like, putting a coffee filter and some grounds into a machine is that hard. If that's too hard get a french press. You literally shove down on a plunger and pour. How do you buy mini plastic cups of preground beans that is only different in the shape created to look fancier and dainter so they can overprice the damn thing. It's freaking hot water filtered over beans. It's not even espresso. It's just differently shaped coffee filters. It's like the washed out Instagram filter of coffee. It's the black plastic glasses frame with no lenses of coffee. It's the bowtie with converse sneakers of coffee. It's everything wrong with the world, wrapped up in a stupid, gimmicky, environment destroying plastic cup of proving every cynical marketing fuck on the planet right about humanity.

Well, you could always use one of these.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Our office buys the K-cups on eBay
KuGsj.gif

Its not that its hard, its that I'll drink the whole pot and be wired as fuck.

royalan

Hey

Hey

I understand your frustration over Keurig users, but don't drag us french pressers down with em. Making the perfect pot of french press requires great skill and care.

Petrie

Banned

People who don't want to brew a full pot of coffee in the morning. It's no different than any other convenience product. I pay $0.30 a cup for Keurig instead of buying a single cup somewhere else. This is smarter than me brewing a pot in the morning only to waste most of it.

Zophar

People who don't want to brew a full pot of coffee in the morning. It's no different than any other convenience product. I pay $0.30 a cup for Keurig instead of buying a single cup somewhere else. This is smarter than me brewing a pot in the morning only to waste most of it.

Grinding your own beans and using a Chemex/French Press will let you control portions easily, will taste much better and will still be just as affordable.

I routinely french press around 4 cups of coffee at a time, which translates to about two mugs of coffee. You can make half as much with half as much water and grounds if you want. Takes 4 minutes.

WanderingWind

Hey

Hey

I understand your frustration over Keurig users, but don't drag us french pressers down with em. Making the perfect pot of french press requires great skill and care.

I'm not downing them. They're excellent and easy to use. I use one when I'm feeling fancy.

Brew less coffee in a regular pot. You can brew literally any amount of coffee you want. And it costs fractions of a penny, not 30 cents. Or, conversely, drink more coffee. Simple really, and they're making great strides in artificial hearts every year.

Eh, I get what you're saying but I think it has its uses. Is it better than taking the time to properly brew a cup/pot of coffee? No, but it is a heck of a lot quicker and cleaner. I kind of view Keurig users as people who care about making a cup of acceptable-quality coffee as quickly and repeatably as possible more so than they do about the experience of actually drinking said coffee. I have one and though I prefer other brewing methods I do use it occasionally, it serves its purpose I think.

Petrie

Banned
Grinding your own beans and using a Chemex/French Press will let you control portions easily, will taste much better and will still be just as affordable.

I routinely french press around 4 cups of coffee at a time, which translates to about two mugs of coffee. You can make half as much with half as much water and grounds if you want. Takes 4 minutes.

But why would I want to do that when I could just throw a pod in and go? It ruins the time savings. If I wanted to spend 4 minutes on my cup of coffee I'd hit the Dunkin drivethru.

I put in a pod, hit the button, go put my shoes on, and my coffee is ready by the time I get back to it. That's what I'm looking for here.

I
Brew less coffee in a regular pot. You can brew literally any amount of coffee you want. And it costs fractions of a penny, not 30 cents. Or, conversely, drink more coffee. Simple really, and they're making great strides in artificial hearts every year.

I can do the same thing with my Keurig reusable filter and have far less mess. But then I also have the option for convenient pods. Win/win.

Zero315

Banned
But doesn't Keurig also sell one of those "fill your own K Cup" things? I can check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure I have an "official" reusable K Cup. Wouldn't that also eat into their bottom line, given you can just buy/grind your own coffee and fill the reusable one?

They do, but it breaks about as often as you'd need to buy a box of the cups.

Yep, and as someone who drinks a lot of tea it's also a quick and easy way to get hot water.

kick51

Banned

aeropress is $25, drm free, and will blow your mind with how good the coffee tastes

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get coffee cups thingies.
Do they even taste different from instant coffee?

Not particularly in my experience. I think people just enjoy them because it feels like they are getting a brewed cup or something.

Esch

Banned

Thank you based god. Excellent post.

Petrie

Banned
Yep, and as someone who drinks a lot of tea it's also a quick and easy way to get hot water.

Yup. Coffee snobs be damned. It's cheaper than the gas station or coffee shop and gets me the hot caffeine jolt I want in the morning. That's all I want from a cup of coffee.

I don't have to worry about my girlfriend turning off the burner after either as she leaves for work an hour later than me. That's a huge plus.

There are no disadvantages vs a typical drip brewer unless you're brewing coffee for you and a bunch of guests.

aeropress is $25, drm free, and will blow your mind with how good the coffee tastes

I've never enjoyed the coffee snob coffee. I want my simple cup of caffeine in the morning. It's crazy that some people don't understand this.

WanderingWind

I can do the same thing with my Keurig reusable filter and have far less mess. But then I also have the option for convenient pods. Win/win.

It's literally the same exact mess. Except when I have friends over, I can just pour more water in and more coffee grounds in the filter and make a pot. You're switching out the dainty lil' cups while your friends are enjoying life to the fullest. Also, I drink coffee all day, because I'm a goddamn American, so a metal pot that stays warm and burny is necessary.

You can brew half a pot, you know.

I wish they'd make more environmentally friendly K-cups. They're so convenient, but I feel bad throwing out all that plastic.

Petrie

Banned
It's literally the same exact mess. Except when I have friends over, I can just pour more water in and more coffee grounds in the filter and make a pot. You're switching out the dainty lil' cups while your friends are enjoying life to the fullest. Also, I drink coffee all day, because I'm a goddamn American, so a metal pot that stays warm and burny is necessary.

How is it the same? My Keurig has no filter to spill grounds and make a mess. It has no pot for me to cleanup or deal with.

And even if I do use my reusable filter, it's still less mess and less maintenance to deal with. I want a single cup of coffee. That's it.

You can brew half a pot, you know.

Great. I want one cup.

terrible

Banned

Yep, as long as they never find a way to add DRM to my aeropress I'm good.

With that said I don't care how anyone else prefers their coffee lol. It's non of my business.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I have a hate hate relationship with my Keurig. I do so many things to it to keep it running on my hard, Houston water that I am almost daring it to die so that I can have an excuse to toss it and use the same French press I bought 20 years ago that will never fail, no matter what I do to it.

AlexMogil

I wish they'd make more environmentally friendly K-cups. They're so convenient, but I feel bad throwing out all that plastic.

And if people point you towards those refillable pods... well those devices have their problems, too. Rinsing the expired grounds down the sink is akin to pouring glue down the drain.

WanderingWind

How is it the same? My Keurig has no filter to spill grounds and make a mess. It has no pot for me to cleanup or deal with.

And even if I do use my reusable filter, it's still less mess and less maintenance to deal with. I want a single cup of coffee. That's it.

Great. I want one cup.

"It has no filter, except the filter."

Every coffee maker since man first crush beetles with rocks and used the resulting paste to form a lukewarm paste called "kafee," has been able to make a single cup of coffee. Including the 5 dollar Mr. Coffee machines you get at the same place you get lotto tickets and single serving condoms.

Ekdrm2d1

Great. I want one cup.

lol

AlexMogil

Who drinks one cup? I don't think about starting my work day unless I have the equivalent of 3 cups down me.

I like to have a nice decaf at night. Or I'll have a leaded one in the morning. Maybe not. I don't use it much but when it's there I really like it.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
They do sell reusable ones, which is what my girlfriend buys. You just fill them with whatever ground coffee you want.

There's also the San Francisco thingies that you can get at CostCo in bulk (I can't remember the name of the brand, beyond the San Francisco part). It's pretty cheap, and only plastic is the cover. The rest of the cup is made from corn and fiber. It's not bad coffee, honestly. I think this is one of the evil cups Keurig wants to destroy, though.

They do sell reusable ones, which is what my girlfriend buys. You just fill them with whatever ground coffee you want.

Yeah, I have one of those, but it takes all the convenience out of it, and washing it is a pain in the ass. I may as well just use my french press if I'm going to be grinding beans and washing shit.

And if people point you towards those refillable pods... well those devices have their problems, too. Rinsing the expired grounds down the sink is akin to pouring glue down the drain.

this too

Game Guru

What's going to happen is that Starbucks, Folgers, and Dunkin' Donuts will be lost as customers to Keurig because hey, those companies can make cheaper unlicensed variants now and their brands are bigger than Keurig's in name as far as coffee goes.

KHarvey16

"It has no filter, except the filter."

Every coffee maker since man first crush beetles with rocks and used the resulting paste to form a lukewarm paste called "kafee," has been able to make a single cup of coffee. Including the 5 dollar Mr. Coffee machines you get at the same place you get lotto tickets and single serving condoms.

Why are you so mad that k cups are easier to make and people like them? We're glad you found a way to make coffee that makes you happy. I like walking into the break room, not emptying old coffee or replacing a filter, tossing any one of 10 different types into the machine and walking out with a cup in 15 seconds without having to clean anything. Sorry if that upsets you!

I like to have a nice decaf at night. Or I'll have a leaded one in the morning. Maybe not. I don't use it much but when it's there I really like it.

Well, if you enjoy drinking a coffee. I just consume it. For me, it's not a beverage, it's a means to an end.

Einbroch

Banned
Yeah, I have one of those, but it takes all the convenience out of it, and washing it is a pain in the ass. I may as well just use my french press if I'm going to be grinding beans and washing shit.

Quite a jump. We go to a local coffee shop and pick up the beans already ground (and they taste better than most coffee out there). And she has a little plastic spatula that came with the reusable cups to scoop out 95% of the gunk and tosses it in the trash, so there's no backup in the sink. Literally takes 2 seconds to clean up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom