• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin O'Leary launches unofficial PM bid against Justin Trudeau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reg

Banned
JkAvQg5.gif

pxrZAil.gif

fefPewp.gif

O'leary is gonna get destroyed.

joms5

Better than Harpertron 3000 saying, "hello, fellow humans. Like you, I like TV shows, like... *squints* Breaking Bad. Netflix tax! OOOO!"

I'll take stair falls over that, haha.

Harper was awful too. You're right.

I guess this means O'Leary is a certainty now. Canadians pick shitty Prime Ministers.

if he does win Conservative leadership I could see him winning to be honest

I think ya'll are underestimating this political trend/shift to more right wing

Canada's the reverse. We JUST fought off 10 years of Conservative leadership and the country was completely out for Harper's blood. This happened literally just a year ago as Brexit was being prepped for takeoff and we already learned of Trump's campaign.

No Tory politician has a chance in Atlantic Canada as well.

If there was one thing about Canadian Politics that was true, it's that the government is chosen by Eastern Canada 85%+ of the time, and Eastern Canada will pick a government and stick with it for a couple terms.

Alavard

Not sure if it was mentioned in a previous page, but he also claimed he may run for the leadership position of the Liberal party... right after Justin Trudeau won the election...

After Trump, I'm not counting anything out, but he will have a very different set of hills to climb.

True, but one thing to give Canada, we're predictable. Trudeau's in for the long haul. This Trump wannabe doesn't play here.

Noo, that's far from it.

Conservatives are still alive and well, and are still pretty high up there % wise. All it takes is a fracturing of the NDP and Liberal party (trying to steal each other's votes) and that will be enough to let them sneak into power again.

The most fearsome thing is people not voting at all. It's how Harper stayed around for so long - so long as people don't believe it's an "easy win" for Trudeau, he'll have a good chance. But it will still be a challenge no matter what.

mo60

Please don't make the same mistakes we did by dismissing this. That's how Trump won,

You Canadians should come out in force against him.

O'Leary's going to get destroyed in Quebec if he actually became the next CPC leader and made it to the next election. There are 78 seats in Quebec. If CPC gets anywere near 0 seats in the province with O'Learyin the next federal election if he becomes the CPC leader you can probably say goodbye to his chances of becoming PM.

If Trump does poorly then the best approach for Justin would be to tie him to Trump and that hey TV stars don't make good nation leaders

If Trump our economy booms under Trump well let's just say I hope the NAFTA renegotiations are televised

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Canada ends up with Con governments when the left vote is split. This is why Trudeau needs to implement a change to the first across the line crap we have. I get it, Libs can win big under this system, but as 2011 showed, we can also be fucked as a country by it as well. 61% of leftist voters, got beat out by the 39% Harper won to lock in a majority government.

mo60

If there was one thing about Canadian Politics that was true, it's that the government is chosen by Eastern Canada 85%+ of the time, and Eastern Canada will pick a government and stick with it for a couple terms.

If I recall BC was the province that gave the Liberals their majority in the last election. Eastern Canada did play a huge role in the Liberals win in the last election but BC sealed their win.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Conservatives are still alive and well, and are still pretty high up there % wise. All it takes is a fracturing of the NDP and Liberal party (trying to steal each other's votes) and that will be enough to let them sneak into power again.

Which probable NDP leadership candidate do you think will have a Layton-like personal appeal? (Also, if we end up with ranked voting, how will this even matter?)

Noo, that's far from it.

The most fearsome thing is people not voting at all. It's how Harper stayed around for so long - so long as people don't believe it's an "easy win" for Trudeau, he'll have a good chance. But it will still be a challenge no matter what.
Phase 1 = Make Weed Legal
Phase 2- Make NDP supporters High
Phase 3 = Win another Liberal Majority Government!

If I recall BC was the province that gave the Liberals their majority in the last election. Eastern Canada did play a huge role in the Liberals win in the last election but BC sealed their win.

Even in that case, everybody was already calling the Election a Liberal Victory before Manitoba closed. It was just a question of Minority or Majority

CazTGG

O'Leary's going to get destroyed in Quebec if he actually became the next CPC leader and made it to the next election.

"O'Leary's going to need to break the rust belt but that'll never happen. They voted for Trudeau for a solid two terms!"

As likely a possibility that may be, we can't simply assume that's going to happen given that we like a post-President Pussygrabber world. He's got a couple of years to brush up his French so we don't know what will happen to the CPC's presence in Quebec for 2019.

Grab him in the Butts?

Grab him by the P.O.O.P. T.U.B.E!

joms5

Salty NDPer?

Not at all. But how'd both of those PM's work out for you?

I never align myself with a party. Ignorant people do. I align myself with a person and their policies.

Everyone thinks that by voting Liberal you're voting for progressive reform. Instead we have Kathleen Wynn who wasted hundreds of millions of dollars on a cancelled hydro plant and now has sold off Hydro One which is going to love raping us all on hydro costs.

Yay Liberal.

Kusagari

If he got into power I imagine his leadership would amount to what some fooled themselves into thinking Trump's presidency would be.

I don't think O'Leary is malicious or means ill will. He's just a shitty businessman with an inflated ego. On social issues he seems fine.

He will get full support in MB, SK and AB. In ontario Libs are at their lowest support wise. If he plays his cards right he can win it. He just can't copy trump but make no doubt i know many trump supporters in canada. MB and SK specifically.

Shit. He's better than Kellie Leitch but if America and Britain are any indication, we'll be electing this guy in 2019. And Trudeau is gonna back away from voter reform so you just know we'll be splitting the left vote once again.

Stay on Shark Tank/Dragon's Den, O'Leary. I don't want to have to hate you.

I never align myself with a party. Ignorant people do. I align myself with a person and their policies.

Everyone thinks that by voting Liberal you're voting for progressive reform. Instead we have Kathleen Wynn who wasted hundreds of millions of dollars on a cancelled hydro plant and now has sold off Hydro One which is going to love raping us all on hydro costs.

Yay Liberal.

Hyrdo Costs? Wynne? oh, you are one of those who confuses Provincial politics with Federal, okay gotcha

Which probable NDP leadership candidate do you think will have a Layton-like personal appeal? (Also, if we end up with ranked voting, how will this even matter?)

Hm if you put it that way, I'm not as concerned. So there's a much less likely chance of the NDP siphoning off votes from the Liberal party? Or should the worry be more of some migrating to the Conservative party?

"O'Leary's going to need to break the rust belt but that'll never happen. They voted for Trudeau for a solid two terms!"

As likely a possibility that may be, we can't simply assume that's going to happen given that we like a post-President Pussygrabber world. He's got a couple of years to brush up his French so we don't know what will happen to the CPC's presence in Quebec for 2019.

It's literally a language barrier with double digit numbers of the population. Not to mention that Quebec has its own Conservative Party to vote for in the regionalist, separatist BLQ

Get rid of First Past The Post and you'll do OK. Don't fuck it up Canada.

Haha... about that. Trudeau promised on doing that by 2019; but after the committee and everybody who supports Electoral Reform came back saying Proportional Representation, he has been trying to burn that file in the most hilariously backfiring way possible

Yay Liberal.

wut

orochi91

Yay Liberal.
Federal and Provincial parties are not the same political entity.

Yay Liberal.
Ontario Liberals are a disgrace but they don't have anything in common with the federal Liberals.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
He will get full support in MB, SK and AB. In ontario Libs are at their lowest support wise.

You seem to be conflating provincial politics and federal politics. The most recent federal polls that are regionally representative have the federal liberals at a near-high, and a majority of overall support (they only need ~40% to sweep enough seats to grab a majority). You are conflating them with Kathleen Wynne's provincial Liberals, who are at their lowest support-wise and likely to be tossed if the PCs can't snatch defeat from victory yet again.

Here is the most recent polling data for federal politics:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-quarterly-polls-nov2016-1.3883456

Only in AB are the Liberals performing poorly, nationally, and they're still well up from the last election there.

He will get full support in MB, SK and AB. In ontario Libs are at their lowest support wise. If he plays his cards right he can win it. He just can't copy trump but make no doubt i know many trump supporters in canada. MB and SK specifically.

^Also afraid of this. I'm always surprised of who I meet who is in support of Trump, just down to the whole point of money and taxes (ignoring all else).

Hyrdo Costs? Wynne? oh, you are one of those who confuses Provincial politics with Federal, okay gotcha

which province voted liberal last time?

Party name BC AB SK MB ON QC NB NS PE NL YT NT NU Total
Liberal Seats: 17 4 1 7 80 40 10 11 4 7 1 1 1 184 Conservative Seats: 10 29 10 5 33 12 – – – – – – – 99

you need BC and ON to turn conservative.

I know i am drawing conclusion from provincial politics to federal but that is the best indicator early on. All he needs is couple of good points and he will get trump effect.

trixx

This is pretty much what I was thinking. Now of course a lot could change in upcoming years. Him not speaking French wouldn't make sense to me, he'll probably try.

To be fair, there are a ton of people who confuse Provincial and Federal within the country, it doesn't help that they all have the same names. If you say "Liberals" in Ontario, people by default think about Wynne. It's only after you clarify Federal or by Leader name that you get the proper reaction.

Kevin O'Leary doesn't know French?!? Dude grew up in Montreal and Ottawa didn't he?

Someone give him a French reader rabbit learning package.

He has no shot, I doubt he is going to take it seriously. People underestimate how hard Trudeau actually campaigned and the dude met people across nation prior to his Liberal leadership victory. Attended countless cultural events and met with people about their issues.

Kevin already saying he would invest in America over Canada and wants to run for PM. Smh

Joe T.

While O'Leary's a laughable idea right now, especially considering Trudeau's popularity, I think it would be foolish to completely count him out given what happened just south of the border. In February he predicted that the Liberal government would fall within four years as a result of economic collapse and that scenario isn't all that unlikely. Like Trump his appeal to voters would almost certainly come from his background as a businessman, so I'd wager his success or failure would rely in very large part on our economy.

Uhh...

Canada is a parliamentary democracy. You don't "run for Prime Minister." This isn't America with WWE style light shows where 17 people smack talk each other for the most votes. You have to be appointed as party leader and then win the most seats. Why would the Conservatives appoint this blowhard as their party leader? Dude would pull an Ignatieff and not even win his own constituency. Even if his party did win, he would be sitting on the steps outside the parliament door watching the sessions on CPAC.

mo60

Uhh...

Canada is a parliamentary democracy. You don't "run for Prime Minister." This isn't America with WWE style light shows where 17 people smack talk each other for the most votes. You have to be appointed as party leader and then win the most seats. Why would the Conservatives appoint this blowhard as their party leader? Dude would pull an Ignatieff and not even win his own constituency. Even if his party did win, he would be sitting on the steps outside the parliament door watching the sessions on CPAC.

If O'Leary helps the CPC win the next election he will most likely have a seat in parliament.

Uhh...

A lot of gaffers have no idea how Canada works. They seem to think it can be compared to the US or even the UK for some reason.

If O'Leary helps the CPC win the next election he will most likely have a seat in parliament.

True, Its extremely rare that a party leader never gets their seat. That said, it would be fun to see the Liberals throw the Conservative Line of Attack they used on ignatieff back in their face. Even moreso if we had a repeat of the 2011 election, only with Conservatives instead of Liberals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom