• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin O'Leary launches unofficial PM bid against Justin Trudeau

Status
Not open for further replies.
He isn't remotely as bad as Trump. Like I'm not terrified about this prospect as the US is for its future (justifiably so)

But I really hope we don't elect him either.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
He'll never win. Canada is too credible to vote in some TV show freak that says the right things and appeals to white people for a better time when their country was "all white and just right".

Kinsei

Banned
I have some small amount of faith in our people to not vote for him. We rejected harpers campaign which would have got the voters in the US (and now Europe) hot for the guy.

Because the left came together to back a candidate instead of splitting their vote which only happened due to Harper being in control for nearly a decade. There's a very real possibility that someone like O'Leary or Leitch could become PM because of the left being split again.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
No we're not.

I joking. Anyone that claims a country is "too smart" "too credible" to vote in some shit head clearly has not been around long enough.

Trudeau needs to go after this mofo don't pull a Hilary and lose a "shoe in".

After Trump's win you'll see more and more shit heads around the world come out of the wood work and use Trump's plan of attack as a blue print.

slyfox

Because the left came together to back a candidate instead of splitting their vote which only happened due to Harper being in control for nearly a decade. There's a very real possibility that someone like O'Leary or Leitch could become PM because of the left being split again.

True. The reason why the Liberals won so handily was because of the campaign not to split the votes between NDP and Liberals. Moving forward as long as its brought up again I don't see the Liberals losing for a long time. Also, Canada has the advantage of no two term restriction. Obama would've beat Trump if he was allowed to run again and I'm confident Trudeau will hold for many terms.

Koodo

Banned
The only conservative I fear winning the Party Nomination is this lady

leitchcry.png

*shivers*
https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3746470

If there was a choice, I would choose O'Leary over her.She's getting dangerously close to Trump-style politics
It's really important to point this out. She's a much more dangerous candidate with a much more likely chance of winning the party nomination.

Cheerilee

The Conservative Party of Canada will not be stupid enough to underestimate Justin Trudeau's hair a second time. A baldy like O'Leary has no chance. Stephen Harper had better hair than O'Leary.

Aske

The television investor from “Shark Tank,” a business venture reality show on U.S. network ABC, and the “Dragon’s Den” on CBC told the Tories and a handful of media that, under his leadership, the party’s next election would focus on...Butts and 3) Finance Minister Bill Morneau.

Heh.

Mailbox

I have some small amount of faith in our people to not vote for him. We rejected harpers campaign which would have got the voters in the US (and now Europe) hot for the guy.

To be completely fair, after ~10 years of the guy, you'd expect people to finally see the fucked up bs Harper was doing and trying to pull and how that was effecting the country.

Not really the same situation.

edit: If the Conservative party is smart, they will choose someone who is in some way charismatic and understands that you can't "run for prime minister" in this country.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm finding it hard to take this seriously.

Yeah, Trump. But we don't have a Hilary up here either.

A man against Butts? Sorry, sir, but I'm an ass man.

But seriously, I hope Canada keeps it together. I understand that the urban vote is disproportionately strong because of how many people live urban vs rural? And Canada is based on popular vote, correct?

Derwind

I'm finding it hard to take this seriously.

Yeah, Trump. But we don't have a Hilary up here either.

Well technically Trudeau was our leftist version of Trump, in the sense of someone with very little political experience, populist figure, with a recognizable name that we voted for in part as a pure rejection of the then current establishment(Harper)... with none of the real Trump baggage.

Mulcair was probably our Hillary. I guess?

Well technically Trudeau was our leftist version of Trump, in the sense of someone with very little political experience, populist figure, with a recognizable name that we voted for in part as a pure rejection of the then current establishment(Harper)... with none of the real Trump baggage.

Not at all.

Trudeau is the Chelsea Clinton to Bill and Hillary in that analogy. Even then he sat in parliament beginning in 2008 and worked his way into a leadership position over the next many years. Calling him an outsider is not correct. Populism can be applied broadly to most politicians in one way or another. Trump's brand of populism is very different than a progressive liberal brand of populism on display with Trudeau.

entremet

He's really fun in shark tank.

Don't know anything about Canadian politics, but don't underestimate this guy, Canadians.

People were dismissing Brexit and Trump. Don't fall for hubris.

Kevin O'Leary? He is literally our much more conservative version of Trump. Did he say to himself "well if Trump could do it, why can't I?" .

Serious note, can someone fire off a list of the dumb stuffhe has said that is causing him to be Canadian Trump? Need to start compiling for people who kind of like him from TV.

Canadians will be watching the dumpster fire of a Trump presidency down south. The CPC may be dumb enough to elect a demagogue like Trump as leader in a desperate attempt to come back to power but I can't see the country doing so.

Kellie Leitch is way more scary right now. I'll worry more when I see breitbart.ca appear.

entremet

Serious note, can someone fire off a list of the dumb stuffhe has said that is causing him to be Canadian Trump? Need to start compiling for people who kind of like him from TV.

I'm a longtime Shark Time viewer. He probably matches Trump on ego and bravado, but he's not as dumb.

He's also very socially liberal, but that's par for the course with many Canadian politicians.

But he's a classic bootstrap believer as the previous clip showed.

Trudeau has been a fantastic PM so far. O'Leary is a piece of shit, and it's clear what a campaign of sensationalism and hate he's planning to run. I hope he gets driven into the ground in embarrassment. He's entertaining, but his views are disgusting on so many things and he's wrong more often than not. He's full of himself, and full of shit.

djkimothy

According to this thread this guy will be next Canada PM.

Although i'm not underestimating him. He still has to vy for CPC leadership. And the next debate is in Quebec City and is in French only. Plus he needs to raise 50,000$, i guess he'll use his own money. He has a lot of hurdles to jump through just to be included in party leadership.

Right now Trudeau is still flying high with 50-60 %approval and is poised to legalize canabis by the next election. I am imagining that NDP and liberal voters woul rally together to prevent this from ever happening.

Now Kellie Lietch, that's who i'm focusing on. But her French is absolutely comical.

Dehnus

Do you member picking apples in Quebec? Ooh I member! Now vote for me so you feel safe in membering.... while your grandkids can't do it as well due to the climate change I'll facilitate for my own greedy needs and that of my donors. Conservatism it just means conserving and growing my bank account and my white middle aged straight rich male privileges

(sorry to double post or spelling issues. This phone sucks 😒 ).

Dehnus

Canadians will be watching the dumpster fire of a Trump presidency down south. The CPC may be dumb enough to elect a demagogue like Trump as leader in a desperate attempt to come back to power but I can't see the country doing so.

Kellie Leitch is way more scary right now. I'll worry more when I see breitbart.ca appear.
So does Europe and they will al whine and moan about trump. Only to turn around and vote for their own populist. People are blind to it... and populists know this. That is why each region has their own tailored conservative populist shouting shit while they congratulate each other openly lol.

Trudeau never hosted a reality TV show though... but Kevin O'Leary sure has. Dragon's Den (there is a Canadian version) is full of idiotic moments from Kevin O'Leary. Yeah he is not as bad as Trump... but he still kinda is this country's Trump. I never really watched Shark Tank, though.

ItIsOkBro

hey it's that guy from dragon's den / shark tank *votes*

never underestimate people's willingness to make uninformed decisions

Kifimbo

On social issues and immigration, he is nowhere close to Trump. Not even comparable really.

Some of his economic policies are also really different from Trump. He is not anti-trade at all. However, he's clearly pro-business (instead of pro-market) and he thinks running a government should be like running a business.

He's also pretty ignorant on many issues. When you say Capitol Hill instead of Parliament Hill...

Look, it Leitch wins, that's a clear mandate for a Liberal dynasty. All of rural Canada could be mobilized, only to be smacked right back in place by the centres, the ethnic middle class, and not to mention the oh so dependent of social assistance east coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom