• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin O'Leary launches unofficial PM bid against Justin Trudeau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapiens

Is he trying to be Trump? Canada ain't going to vote for him. Not one bit.

Sorry Kev. Unlike America, we don't vote for businessman, no matter how blunt they are.

EDIT: Using first post privilege to say "Hey fellow Canadians! We are in the right fucking track! Don't swerve off just because you hate winter. Climate change is real but weather magic ain't real, so enjoy the fucking weather cause its going to be a bumpy ride. Exercise your damn vote on 2019!"

Canadians love, LOVE blowhards. We invented voting for Trump before it was cool by getting Rob Ford in. Don't underestimate our ability to spite-vote.

entremet

Canadians love, LOVE blowhards. We invented voting for Trump before Trump by getting Rob Ford in. Don't underestimate our ability to spite-vote.
We gotta link to older Trump threads. That will be a laugh. Same reactions as here.

Don't get cocky, guys.

Flux

Doesn't he just play a rich businessman on TV? Also the split-vote issue is still a problem with Liberals and NDP essentially infighting and sharing similar a platform.

So does Europe and they will al whine and moan about trump. Only to turn around and vote for their own populist. People are blind to it... and populists know this. That is why each region has their own tailored conservative populist shouting shit while they congratulate each other openly lol.

Yeah it's easy to reject someone else right wing nutter but when you get your own countries brand of nutter all of a sudden it's different.

Canadians love, LOVE blowhards. We invented voting for Trump before it was cool by getting Rob Ford in. Don't underestimate our ability to spite-vote.
the NDP is leaderless and no candidate has thrown a serious intent in running for its 2017 leadership.

2011 will be difficult for the NDP to repeat without an ubber charismatic lovable leader, Justin Trudeau is now that for the Liberals.

2ndly, people didn't FOR the NDP in 2011, they voted for Jack the man not the party.

the NDP is leaderless and no candidate has thrown a serious intent in running for its 2017 leadership.

2011 will be difficult for the NDP to repeat without an ubber charismatic lovable leader, Justin Trudeau is now that for the Liberals.

2ndly, people didn't FOR the NDP in 2011, they voted for Jack the man not the party.

And it still wasn't enough.

The irony that the NDP's greatest victory came at the hand of delivering Harper's first majority will never not depress me...

And then they chose Mulcair and I found a new way to hate my party.

NDP is going to shift back to third party and at best spoiler, they could cause Trudeau trouble in BC if pipeline stuff is still remembered by the time of the next election... (even if Trudeau's policy is pragmatic a lot of BC folks are pissed). If there is a decent Conservative momentum the NDP could be the difference between a minority Liberal and a minority conservative government.

So does Europe and they will al whine and moan about trump. Only to turn around and vote for their own populist. People are blind to it... and populists know this. That is why each region has their own tailored conservative populist shouting shit while they congratulate each other openly lol.
But the voting mechanics for CPC leadership are quite different than the US presidential primaries.

• It's limited to dues paying party members ($15).
  • Vote happens on a single day across the entire country.
  • Instead of delegates, each riding gets 100 points that are assigned proportionally. So no getting most of the delegates with 30-35% of the vote which helped Trump early on.
  • Ranked ballot (single transferable vote) so splitting the establishment vote won't help as the least popular candidates will be removed and their votes transfer over to the voters' next preference until one candidate has a majority of the points.
It's much more geared towards a consensus candidate rather than FPTP's tendency to reward whatever faction manages to rally behind a single alternative.

entremet

Yeah it's easy to reject someone else right wing nutter but when you get your own countries brand of nutter all of a sudden it's different.
How much of a right wing nutter is O'Leary?

His main thing is repealing the carbon tax, right? Has he talked about anything else? He seems rather socially liberal.

It seems he's more copying the posturing of Trump than the rhetoric.

How much of a right wing butter is O'Leary?

His main thing is repealing the carbon tax, right? Has he talked about anything else. He seems rather socially liberal.

Socially liberal in the sense that he thinks that widespread worldwide poverty is a blessing.

Oppo

Hell fucking no. Never. We better not fall prey to this bullshit.

3 words for you:

Rob Fucking Ford

we are not immune at all to this. it's a global wave. I just hope the usual structures provide some buffer.

but yeah, all lefties in Canada should have gone on red alert after the US Election night.

look at this asshole setting the frame already:

“It’s going to be war, it’s going to be ugly, you’re going to hear a lot of bad things,” O’Leary promised. “I have to know you have my back if we’re going to start this. That is what I’m asking for.”

O’Leary painted Trudeau as a “complete incompetent” who is mismanaging the Canadian economy and digging it into a dark hole.

He suggested the prime minister’s lack of business and negotiating experience is costing the country dearly.

amazing. "if I wave my arms wildly like this in front of me, and walk towards you, it's not my fault if you get hit." this is little kid stuff. he's signalling like crazy that he's taken the lesson to go berserk with the rhetoric because we know it'll work on a certain chunk of the population.

"get ready kids! I'm a piece of shit! buckle the fuck up!"

palming right through my skull.

What are you referring to? The only major election I'm aware of in Europe post-Trump was Austria's recount one, and the populist Trump-like leader was defeated by a decent margin. I actually was under the impression that the in party power used the unrest of American after Trump's win as a point against him, too, which may have lead to a much bigger defeat than the first one, which was slim victory for the reigning party.

entremet

Socially liberal in the sense that he thinks that widespread worldwide poverty is a blessing.
Lol yeah.

I just wonder how much of that is TV bravado. His only policy position so far has been to repeal the carbon tax.

To be fair, I don't think he would be good for Canada and he's a blowhard. I'd just like more substance to better judge him.

But the voting mechanics for CPC leadership are quite different than the US presidential primaries.

• Instead of delegates, each riding gets 100 points that are assigned proportionally. So no getting most of the delegates with 30-35% of the vote which helped Trump early on.
  • Ranked ballot (single transferable vote) so splitting the establishment vote won't help as the least popular candidates will be removed and their votes transfer over to their next preference until one candidate has a majority of the votes.
It's much more geared towards a consensus candidate rather than FPTP's tendency to reward whatever faction manages to rally behind a single alternative.

many will run out of money until the CPC convention; Max currently leads will the largest donor base, mostly localized in Quebec, but still sizable larger than Leetche's

Many candidates could split in Ontario and the Prairies but Max will take most of the memberships from Quebec to make him competitive.

How much of a right wing nutter is O'Leary?

His main thing is repealing the carbon tax, right? Has he talked about anything else? He seems rather socially liberal.

It seems he's more copying the posturing of Trump than the rhetoric.

His economic policies will fuck over poor people everywhere.... like hardcore.

Anyone who says the government ought to be run like a business is a hardcore moron who will just make people suffer.

Obama is very well liked and we said the same about Trump being the opposite of American Values.

And if Trump would have run against Obama, odds are he would have lost pretty soundly.

EDIT: Trump also isn't the opposite of American Values, unfortunately, as much as a lot of us want to believe he is.

The CPC candidates will have a French only debate on January 17th

The last Bilingual debate in New Brunswick was total shit with way too many candidates saying nothing.

I expect O'Leary to listen to questions without an ear piece but still answer all questions in English anyway.

Dehnus

What are you referring to? The only major election I'm aware of in Europe post-Trump was Austria's recount one, and the populist Trump-like leader was defeated by a decent margin. I actually was under the impression that the in party power used the unrest of American after Trump's win as a point against him, too, which may have lead to a much bigger defeat than the first one, which was slim victory for the reigning party.

The Netherlands is on route to elect Geert Wilders, France is very close to Mary Le'Pen, Germany's Bavarian Branch of the CHristian Party (extreme right really that not even the rest of the German Christian/Conservative party likes) or Miss Petry and her idiots?

All of these people that support or are even on the list to be elected... will openly say they don't like Trump, only to say the same things later on. Just a bit more tailored to the region were they are from. FOr instance. Geert Wilders uses gay people as a shield and a stick to hit Muslims with (He doesn't really care about them, but in the Netherlands most people don't like you bashing gay people. So they shield behind them. Heck the NAZI's even do false flags... like painting over a "Gaybra crossing" while making Hitler salutes.. hoping people would blame some Islamists... to bad they got caught on camera :D ).

But basically each european state has it's own tailor made version of the memberberries, that is why you need to be careful, they will act like they are different.. but they are exactly the same.

The Netherlands is on route to elect Geert Wilders, France is very close to Mary Le'Pen,Germany's Bavarian Branch of the CHristian Party (extreme right really that not even the rest of the German Christian/Conservative party likes) or Miss Petry and her idiots?

All of these people that support or are even on the list to be elected... will openly say they don't like Trump, only to say the same things later on. Just a bit more tailored to the region were they are from. FOr instance. Geert Wilders uses gay people as a shield and a stick to hit Muslims with (He doesn't really care about them, but in the Netherlands most people don't like you bashing gay people. So they shield behind them. Heck the NAZI's even do false flags... like painting over a "Gaybra crossing" while making Hitler salutes.. hoping people would blame some Islamists... to bad they got caught on camera :D ).

But basically each european state has it's own tailor made version of the memberberries, that is why you need to be careful, they will act like they are different.. but they are exactly the same.

Woah, I was under the impression that Le'Pen was considered a possibly for the final run off, but overall unlikely to win. What's changed there? I know there's some fear about the German election, is Merkel pretty much thought to be dead in the water now? I thought the general idea was that she still had a pretty strong base, though. Not familiar with The Netherlands, is it pretty much given the Wilders guy is going to win?

Ekai

Everytime I've watched this show this guy comes across as the douchebag who already has a lot but wants to skim just a tiny bit more from the poor people he's scamming. So he fits right in with conservatives. Hell, this platform seems to be largely based on how he benefits as a business man, when he's already extremely well off. Sickening.

Apathy

Doesn't he just play a rich businessman on TV? Also the split-vote issue is still a problem with Liberals and NDP essentially infighting and sharing similar a platform.

I can tell you this with almost certainty, if it comes down to being a close race (and this is in a fictional world were O'Leary actually is the party leader and the nomination), people will jump off the NDP vote so fast and vote liberal to keep him out and no one will be shocked.

stephen08

People reading this as a Trump scenario need to understand that our election process is different. In short, we don't vote for our prime minister dorectly. He'd need to be voted in by the people elected as members of parliament (kinda like congressmen) and I'm 99% sure he'd need to be MP as well. Even if he managed to be the conservative choice he'd still be facing multiple other parties which would probably make things difficult.

It's not a call to brush it off as nothing by any stretch but it isn't a direct analog to Trump as it may seem at first. I would argue though that I am not opposed to an outsider candidate like Trump solely on that. Trump is unfit for a million reasons but if you had like Elon Musk looking to genuinely better the world and listening to the sensible advice of people it could be alright. I have no idea about O'Leary's policies so idk how that would go. But yes, not a bad idea by any stretch to shit this guy down hard if he tries to do the Trump playbook.

Apathy

People reading this as a Trump scenario need to understand that our election process is different. In short, we don't vote for our prime minister dorectly. He'd need to be voted in by the people elected as members of parliament (kinda like congressmen) and I'm 99% sure he'd need to be MP as well. Even if he managed to be the conservative choice he'd still be facing multiple other parties which would probably make things difficult.

It's not a call to brush it off as nothing by any stretch but it isn't a direct analog to Trump as it may seem at first. I would argue though that I am not opposed to an outsider candidate like Trump solely on that. Trump is unfit for a million reasons but if you had like Elon Musk looking to genuinely better the world and listening to the sensible advice of people it could be alright. I have no idea about O'Leary's policies so idk how that would go. But yes, not a bad idea by any stretch to shit this guy down hard if he tries to do the Trump playbook.

Which also begs the question, where wild he run for mp? He's originally from Montreal but doesn't live there. Is he in Toronto, he's not winning in the city itself. Maybe some 905 seat.

I could see O'Leary at least being a competitive candidate. The CPC won't have Harper creating a major rift in the party, nor will it have all his luggage to carry around.

The Netherlands is on route to elect Geert Wilders,
The Dutch have been electing Geert Wilders since 1998. I suppose you mean his party is currently polling as getting the most seats in the next parliamentary elections, which is true, but this seems to be largely because a lot of voters are fleeing the two current governing parties in favor of previously smaller ones.

And even with current polling Geert's PVV is still only getting about 24% of the seats, which means he'd have to compromise and join with other parties in a coalition to actually form a government, and other parties could easily join together and block him from the prime minister spot altogether if they so wanted. Don't know enough of Dutch politics to say what's most likely to happen, but regardless this is hardly equivalent to Trump winning the presidency.

if he does win Conservative leadership I could see him winning to be honest

I think ya'll are underestimating this political trend/shift to more right wing

He's got to win the leadership first, and this:

• Ranked ballot (single transferable vote) so splitting the establishment vote won't help as the least popular candidates will be removed and their votes transfer over to the voters' next preference until one candidate has a majority of the points.

Is a pretty good list of reasons why that's not very likely to happen. The system is set up in a way that rewards candidates who've put in the time to go fro coast to coast to coast, building their organizations and meeting with CPC members, who are the only people who can vote in this race. It's not like the US primary system in any way, shape or form. No matter how popular O'Leary may be with the general public -- which is taking a whole lot for granted, since there's no evidence he's widely popular -- all that matters is how acceptable he is to party members, and without him being willing to literally go from town to town, building up support in places like Moose Jaw and Cornerbrook and Aurora and Chicoutimi, I doubt they'll like him all that much.

Also, he's starting the race in a massive hole financially. Again, this isn't the US, with its obscene amounts of money. There's a hard cap on fundraising at $1,525 per person, and there's no such thing as third party groups or superPACs. He can't just self-fund a campaign either, assuming he even has enough money to do so -- he could only lend himself up to $25k. By comparison, the entry fee for the race is $50k. Tony Clement dropped out when he only raised $20k in a quarter. Sure, O'Leary has some name recognition, but that's not enough to do advertising and outreach targeting CPC members, let alone building a campaign team.

Kellie Leitch is more likely to become the party's leader instead of him.

And scary as she is, she's not very likely to win, since the system is set up in a way to reward consensus candidates, rather than extreme ones. Like I said, the US example doesn't apply here.

Well for one thing, O'Leary is entertaining and might actually make Canadian politics interesting for once; he's pretty witty.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be in a debate against him. Any politician who comes to the podium without facts and figures to back up their statements is going to get shredded.

All things considered, there's no reason to believe O'Leary has any knowledge of facts or figures. I know he likes spouting off on TV, but here's the thing: he's not very bright, and he rarely knows what he's talking about. Neither of those factors are disqualifying, but it'll make it hard for him to stand out amongst politicians who actually have debate experience and have some grasp of the material.

I know i am drawing conclusion from provincial politics to federal but that is the best indicator early on. All he needs is couple of good points and he will get trump effect.

What? That's not true at all, either now or historically. The CPC was dead in Newfoundland while the PCs under Danny Williams racked up huge majorities. While Ontario was sending 40+ years of PC governments to Queen's Park, they were generally electing Liberals in Ottawa; more recently, Mike Harris got in as premier less than two years after the Liberals under Chretien won literally every seat in the province, and while the Liberals and McGuinty kept winning the same people were voting for Harper's party federally. Rachel Notley won a pretty huge NDP majority in Alberta in May 2015, which led to the NDP winning precisely one seat in the federal election 5 months later. I could go on, but the point is: what you said has zero basis in reality.

But seriously, I hope Canada keeps it together. I understand that the urban vote is disproportionately strong because of how many people live urban vs rural? And Canada is based on popular vote, correct?

Nope. Canada is based on Westminster-style democracy, where the party which wins the most seats gets a chance to form government. Each seat is based on whoever wins the most votes in that riding, which has zero bearing on any other ridings. It's quite possible, though rare, to form government without winning a plurality of the votes.

And it's actually the rural vote that's disproportionately strong: PEI (population of about 100k) has four seats, and each of the territories have a seat, even though their combined population is less than 100k. The average seat in Ontario represents 100,000 voters. There are more urban seats, to be sure, but in no way is it disproportionate.

Yea, I don't get it.

He has no shot at being a legitimate CPC party leader candidate, let alone the fucking PMO, especially by 2019.

The only logical explanation here is that O'Leary isn't entirely familiar with the Canadian Parliamentary process.

He tried to soft launch his campaign with a video where he called Parliament Hill "Capitol Hill." On top of all the other evidence, I'd say it's pretty likely O'Leary doesn't know a single thing about the Parliamentary process.

stephen08

Business man wants to make Canada great again by saving it from the dirty liberals, and promoting dirty energy policy does sound familiar.

You're misunderstanding my point. Our ballots wouldn't say Trump. They say our local representatives who would then have to vote for Trump. It's possible, sure, but he'd need to convince his rivals that he is the person for the job.

Trump won by being a charismatic caricature who had all the answers and uninformed people voted him in. Do you really think that if the republican party went and determined their leadership on their own that they'd come up with Trump? This is putting aside the fact that even if that party won with him as their candidate we would likely have a coalition situation anyway.

I'm not dismissing this, I'm just saying it is not the same thing.

Flux

I can tell you this with almost certainty, if it comes down to being a close race (and this is in a fictional world were O'Leary actually is the party leader and the nomination), people will jump off the NDP vote so fast and vote liberal to keep him out and no one will be shocked.

Yes, as was the case with electing Trudeau. I just don't want to see what happened in the US be repeated with us (voter apathy, throwaway votes to third parties, voting for the opposition out of spite).

The Conservative Party of Canada will not be stupid enough to underestimate Justin Trudeau's hair a second time. A baldy like O'Leary has no chance. Stephen Harper had better hair than O'Leary.

They're going to send out a casting call for a Trump-like combover.

In seriousness, I want Chong to win the leadership because he is the most ''Liberal'' of the CPC candidates. But I know he won't win.

for comedy: I would like to see Max win for the LOLz.

But if I was a betting man, I think Sheer is going to win.

fin

JkAvQg5.gif

pxrZAil.gif

fefPewp.gif

O'leary is gonna get destroyed.

LOL I didn't realise it before but, Trudeau looks so much like Spencer Rice.

CazTGG

Get ready to make Canada great again! Big league!

Make Syrup Flow Again!

Build A Wall Alongside Alaska & Make Russia Pay For It!

Law & Order: Vancouver!

In all seriousness, what i'm seeing a lot of people forget in this thread is one important thing: It wasn't too long ago where Stephen Harper was Prime Minister with a majority government and there's a few years between now and the next Canadian election for Trudeaumania 2.0 to dissipate and the vote to either be split among NDP and Liberal MPs or for the CPC's new leader to . We need to start taking action now like, say, registering in the CPC and voting against Leitch, Trost, Bernier and O'Leary, hold their supporters/backers' feet to the fire when they say things like how they want to screen visitors for "anti-Canadian values" or praise income equality with a "fuck you, got mine" statement, and contacting your local MPs, especially if they're members of the Conservative Party of Canada, and confront them. Ask them if they will support their plans should they be leading the party.

Nibiru

Banned
I voted Trudeau. I just never like any one party being power too long so it was time for Harper to go. That said I know full well that Trudeau only got attention because he was a cutey. Even now his looks is all anyone talks about. I mean it certainly wasn't his slogans "sunny days sunny ways.." or some dumb shit.

Anyway the luster is wearing off and his numbers are way down.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/12/10/support-for-federal-liberals-plummets-new-poll-shows.html

A new Forum Research poll conducted at the beginning of the week shows the Liberals dropped from 51 per cent a month ago to 42 per cent nationally.

So anyway I think there is a good chance he loses next election and I don't even think legalizing pot will help him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom