• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So guys...this is really good! Really!

I tried to play level 1 on difficulty 9 and got slaughtered in the first 10 secs. >_> I kept trying till the cauldron drop me to 7 and I still couldn't beat it...

Anyways, atleast I beat level 5 and got the
twin bellows cannon
:p

Never stop moving in a circle

is there a reliable way to evade in the rail shooter sections? I've tried level 7 twice on 9.0 (there's a 9.0 gate in the ground section) and failed both times. Those two tries took away half my total hearts.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
is there a reliable way to evade in the rail shooter sections? I've tried level 7 twice on 9.0 (there's a 9.0 gate in the ground section) and failed both times. Those two tries took away half my total hearts.

Stop firing, flick your control from one direction to the next So to dodge left you

hold right then slam the stick left

KarmaCow

You mean the air dodge? It's best if you're not moving when attempting it. It's less forgiving than dashing on the ground but you don't need an incoming attack to perform it.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Finished Chapter

WTF SAKURAI.

Shymalan would be proud. Evil (crazy/controlled?) Palutena is sure to create to laughs, as well as having Viridi being the one watching over Pit.

They even changed the Solo menu's look and music, and Offering changed to make Viridi the recipient. Such a great and needed shakeup. I guess this is going right up there with Okami as "Games that unexpectedly include a whole trilogy in one game".

Also, playing as Magnus and fighting a mindless Pit was boss as fuck.

Stop firing, flick your control from one direction to the next So to dodge left you

hold right then slam the stick left

whenever I try that I end up putting myself in a worse situation, since I could be moving into another attack. I don't know if I'm doing it fast enough but I'm trying not to damage the circle pad. most of the time I move to the left, then move to the right, instead of dashing. Or I'd already be moving left and want to dodge right, but have to kinda do a left-center-left-right movement.

can you still try higher difficulties if you're out of hearts? I don't want to gamble away my remaining ones and be stuck playing at 2.0 for the next stage.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
whenever I try that I end up putting myself in a worse situation, since I could be moving into another attack. I don't know if I'm doing it fast enough but I'm trying not to damage the circle pad. most of the time I move to the left, then move to the right, instead of dashing. Or I'd already be moving left and want to dodge right, but have to kinda do a left-center-left-right movement.

can you still try higher difficulties if you're out of hearts? I don't want to gamble away my remaining ones and be stuck playing at 2.0 for the next stage.

If you are worried about hurting the circle pad... I recommend never touching the multiplayer :p Not sure about the hearts thing never been low

Neiteio

storafötter;36453151 said:
I feel almost embarrassed when I play at higher difficulty because I always fail horribly with certain enemies. Like at 8.0 difficulty I will do well until I get to one enemy with a specific pattern and end up a difficulty level 5. I have only myself to blame for messing up that much. I don't have a problem with the controls most of the time, but when you can fall off the platform when trying to evade enemies by dodging it is bad design. Also that driving vehicle has the worst controls (reminds me of when I first drove in Halo: Combat Evolved) but at least the other stuff is manageable.
It's easy to steer. Just remember: all the circle pad does is accelerate. You steer with the stylus. :)

So far I love the game. As everyone else has already expressed it is something special and is very addictive. I don't really laugh at the dialogues most of the time, but I really enjoy listening to them. It is rare to find a game with so much charm.

Could anyone make me a Viridis goddess avatar?
I love how eco-conscious she is and agree with her ideals :p
I don't think the official art is available for her yet. :)

Any enemies tend to kind of trip you guys up? For some reason the bowling ball bug thing always seems to end up taking off way too much of my health.
Clobberskulls and Clobblers. (
The one starts as a chained skull, the other as a wandering flower girl. Both turn into killer muscle-bound enemies when triggered.
) Not too difficult, though, provided you KEEP DODGING.

(Chapter
spoiler.)

Sakurai: "Here we have a game that draw heavily from Greek mythology. Do you guys know what it really needs?"
Developers: "What?"
Sakurai: "
Aliens.
"

That crazy bastard.
Ha, so true. XD

Hiding some of the music behind Challenge Wall pieces is freaking evil genius. I just want to listen to the music by itself, but they're making me work for a lot of it. And I'm going to do it without complaining because the music is so damn good. I do wish they would tell us what each challenge unlocks ahead of time.

When the Best Soundtrack of 2012 voting begins, I bet this game will be my choice for #1.
Yes, I'm currently wondering which square contains the music for the flight section of Chapter

Ok,

Tap on a file you want to DELETE, press (and hold) the L-Button (this will promt a "how to"-message), while holding L you need to press R,X,Y, D-PAD right.

now the file will be ereased. I think the chances of doing that accidently are rather small ;)
Thank you for clariying this! Yeah, it's virtually impossible to accidentally delete your file. Sakurai thinks of everything!

So guys how about that chapter
music?
Some of the best music in the game. HOW DO I UNLOCK IT? Been asking for several pages. Is is the speed run challenge on Chapter
?

Mideon

Had this game since launch and totally agree with the Destructoid review, the ground controls are terrible and I feel like I am forcing myself to accept a shitty control system just to move onto the next flying section because they are the best thing in the game.

I don't agree with this Sakurai genius crap, yes he has made some good games but seriously to have a control scheme like this in 2012 on a system with 1 analog stick is just bad games design in my opinion.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Had this game since launch and totally agree with the Destructoid review, the ground controls are terrible and I feel like I am forcing myself to accept a shitty control system just to move onto the next flying section because they are the best thing in the game.

I don't agree with this Sakurai genius crap, yes he has made some good games but seriously to have a control scheme like this in 2012 on a system with 1 analog stick is just bad games design in my opinion.

Stop trying to play the game super fast like it's dmc or something and take your time. The control issues go away.

The only thing I dislike about the controls is more due to the system design. I occasionally get some cramps in my hand due to playing it which never happened with the original DS. However, the controls themselves are great. I picked them up faster than I did when first trying dual analogue.

sfried

I believe the opposite is true. Dual analog feel dated for me now with the number of alternatives other than mouse + keyboard. The control system is far from shitty, because it works, as opposed to "being servicable" once you've acclimated to it.

Smash like gestures to dash/attack is a little trickier.

Also go to the option screen and set "cursor speed" to high and "time for cursor to stop" to slowly (all the way to the right).

DGRE

Banned

Jim Sterling alt?

The controls are not perfect. I think, for the most part, no one here has denied that. With that being said, There have been countless games with flawed control schemes that are stil well -beloved, and rightly so, by the gaming community.

It is by no means as difficult to get the hang of as the Destructoid review makes it out to be.

Jintor

As I've said my main problem is actually now that dashing is so easy to do when you're just trying to change direction.

Every thing else was a matter of calibrating the touchscreen.

hatchx

Banned

Meh, this topic has been beaten to death. At the end of the day, it's your loss.

This is one of my favorite games ever.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The controls in this game are pretty much perfect once you nail them. It took me about an hour to do it; they are intuitive as fuck.

The only exception would be that motorcycle thingy, which is quite difficult to control

sfried

Jim Sterling alt?

The controls are not perfect. I think, for the most part, no one here has denied that. With that being said, There have been countless games with flawed control schemes that are stil well -beloved, and rightly so, by the gaming community.

It is by no means as difficult to get the hang of as the Destructoid review makes it out to be.
Also that review made tried to make it as if the controls completely ruined the game, which is false.
The controls in this game are pretty much perfect once you nail them. It took me about an hour to do it; they are intuitive as fuck.

The only exception would be that motorcycle thingy, which is quite difficult to control
Here's the trick with the Exo Tank: Do NOT use the stylus to steer your view while driving. Instead, leave the camera work alone and focus on controlling using the Pad only.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
As I've said my main problem is actually now that dashing is so easy to do when you're just trying to change direction.

Every thing else was a matter of calibrating the touchscreen.

Realising "it's like a globe" also helps. I don't know why it took me so long to get the background of the screen kept spinning until I changed the settings in options and that influenced the reticle, Pit even mentions it outloud.

If there was anything I could remove from this game it would be that.

Mideon

I believe the opposite is true. Dual analog feel dated for me now with the number of alternatives other than mouse + keyboard. The control system is far from shitty, because it works, as opposed to "being servicable" once you've acclimated to it.

Smash like gestures to dash/attack is a little trickier.

Also go to the option screen and set "cursor speed" to high and "time for cursor to stop" to slowly (all the way to the right).

I will try that thanks. I just want the ground controls to click for me like they have for you guys will give it a few more attempts but if it still does not feel right I'm going to have to pass because for me it makes the game unbearable to play.

The air spin dodge is so dodgy for me, especially since its much better to shoot than to dodge. Killing enemies before they have a chance to fire, having high range, and managing your special attack for the right times is key for 7.0-9.0 flying stages.

I've got it cut out for me since I use the face buttons to move so luckly, C-pad users have a easier time circling around the screen.

Korosenai

Controls sucked for the first hour, but since then they've been second nature.

EDIT: This is in the last paragraph of the destructoid review

"Unfortunately, since each stage ends on a sour note, the overall emotion one gains is that of bitter disappointment. It's a game that repeatedly starts strong and ends despicably, and as much as I want to adore it, I ended every session cursing its name."

Umm, lolwut

Ho-ly. Shit. I'm on Chapter 12 and I just realized that you can equip abilities that you learn. I feel so dense for missing it for this long, but the game has so much stuff going on and packed with so much content that it just slid by me.

Nintendo has gone-all out on almost all aspects of this game's release, but it really deserved a full-blown, meaty manual.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Please let's not bring that shitty Sterling review again.
-----------

Anyone wants to do some multiplayer in about an hour? I still haven't played it, so it would be nice to have some games with GAF.

Anth0ny

So according to Iwata Asks, Kid Icarus Uprising began development before 3DS dev kits were even available. I'm assuming this was after Brawl's release in 2008.

"At first we didn't have the Nintendo 3DS development kit, so we started making it on a PC. Oh, and for a while we were using a Wii to make it!"

A PC release is a pipe dream, but I would have LOVED a Wii version of this game. I think the controls suit the Wii Remote perfectly.

Korosenai

Please let's not bring that shitty Sterling review again.
-----------

Anyone wants to do some multiplayer in about an hour? I still haven't played it, so it would be nice to have some games with GAF.

Add yourself to the google doc in the op, you'll get a lot friend invites that way.

So according to Iwata Asks, Kid Icarus Uprising began development before 3DS dev kits were even available. I'm assuming this was after Brawl's release in 2008.

"At first we didn't have the Nintendo 3DS development kit, so we started making it on a PC. Oh, and for a while we were using a Wii to make it!"

A PC release is a pipe dream, but I would have LOVED a Wii version of this game. I think the controls suit the Wii Remote perfectly.

That'd be cool. Wasn't it Sakurai who expressed interest in making the next Smash game for 3DS and console (Wii or Wii U?). Kid Icarus could be the test run!

also, the sad realization that Kid Icarus 2 probably won't be coming for a while if Smash is Sakurai's next game. Or they can just give it to Treasure.

clemenx

Banned
I'm hoping Smash gets developed relatively quick (sorry smash fans!) I need something brand new from Project Sora after Sakurai delivered like this with Kid Icarus.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Kid Icarus Uprising is like Star Fox Assault done right. Honestly, whoever is developing the next SF game (I hope is EAD Tokyo) needs to step their game up and come with something amazing because Icarus is now THE flying action / shooting franchise from Nintendo.

Boogiepop

Grrrr.... Boss Rush! I got up to
Fake Palutena
but I was at one hit left at that point, so I couldn't really do anything to stop myself from dying. How do you deal with Cragorock's "I got a cluster of giant rocks to fire" attack? Seems kind of... tricky. Also, damn
Auron Pyrron
seems to have a few attacks that are impossible to deal with unless you're paying extreme attention and hit things right. Damn circle of fire.

Are there decent rewards for making it through this? Especially considering how few hearts you get from it, I'd really hope so.

So any word on how the slide pad controls worked out? I've been out of town without internet access and I'm curious to know what the consensus is on alternate control schemes. I'm interested in the game, but the demo kinda put me off. Is dual analog confirmed, and is it a viable method of control?

Kid Icarus Uprising is like Star Fox Assault done right. Honestly, whoever is developing the next SF game (I hope is EAD Tokyo) needs to step their game up and come with something amazing because Icarus is now THE flying action / shooting franchise from Nintendo.

Although I haven't yet played the full version, I seriously, seriously doubt it's better than Sin and Punishment 2. Like, seriously.

Busaiku

Also, damn
Auron Pyrron
seems to have a few attacks that are impossible to deal with unless you're paying extreme attention and hit things right. Damn circle of fire.

That's why I've got that Jump Glide in my selection.
Not only useful for that, but getting to harder to reach areas as well.

Listen starting at 30 seconds. (Chapter
)

I spent like 30 mins. trying to figure it out what unlocks this song. Guess what? It's
Destroy 230 enemies and clear the chapter
It's next to impossible unless you lower it to 0.0 so you can one hit everything during the air section. I ended up getting just 2 more than I needed so its really strict. Good luck!

olimpia84

Stop trying to play the game super fast like it's dmc or something and take your time. The control issues go away.

I agree with this. I used to go all out in the ground sections but the key is to be patient which is why I love my Laser Staff (am I the only one using staffs here?). The funny thing is that my staff is actually pretty crappy stat-wise but has been carrying me just fine so far in the game (will love to have a better one but I can't seem to figure out the formula to make it more powerful).

The problem with Wii controls is not the aiming at stuff part, but the turning part. It just wouldn't be as fast as flicking the stylus. I guess a Wii U version could work since that has a stylus, but can you imagine holding that giant behemoth tablet in one hand for hours at a time? This game would be bad ass with a mouse and keyboard, though.

Busaiku

It was like March 2009 or something.
Mr. Sakurai said this back in one of the Nintendo conferences.

Or maybe it was actually E3 2010 that he said that.

So any word on how the slide pad controls worked out? I've been out of town without internet access and I'm curious to know what the consensus is on alternate control schemes. I'm interested in the game, but the demo kinda put me off. Is dual analog confirmed, and is it a viable method of control?

Although I haven't yet played the full version, I seriously, seriously doubt it's better than Sin and Punishment 2. Like, seriously.
You know I am one of the biggest S&P2 fans on the board.

As a shooter, it is not as good. But it comes so damn close and excels in a bunch of other ways that blow past S&P2.

Grrrr.... Boss Rush! I got up to
Fake Palutena
but I was at one hit left at that point, so I couldn't really do anything to stop myself from dying. How do you deal with Cragorock's "I got a cluster of giant rocks to fire" attack? Seems kind of... tricky. Also, damn
Auron Pyrron

Are there decent rewards for making it through this? Especially considering how few hearts you get from it, I'd really hope so.

I remember you get weapons after defeating every 5-6 bosses, but as far as the end goes, I don't know.

I gotten as far as the
GST mech
before I was destroyed.

Top Bottom