• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

daffy

Banned
Gotta love carrying your team. If I take initiative to find and activate daybreak and you can't find the time to cover your ass, then your just a terrible person.

Then I got 2000+ camping with dat Dark Pit Staff, haters gonna hate. Put the entire team ON MY BACK! Then The Weakest Link became Pit and ruined it for us all. What a bumbleberry :/

Hale-XF11

Whoever used that black orb thing...

what is it called and how can i get it?

Do you mean the black holes that I was spawning? I got that power up at the end of an earlier online match where the game gives away a power to one person at random. I use it in nearly every match now since it keeps my opponents busy while I wail on them.

NeoRausch

Do you mean the black holes that I was spawning? I got that power up at the end of an earlier online match where the game gives away a power to one person at random. I use it in nearly every match now since it keeps my opponents busy while I wail on them.
Yeah that one. Pretty nice!

sucks enemies in whlie you can slash the shit out of them.

what's it called?

Boogiepop

How do you guys deal with
Hades' heart?
When he splits off he gets damn fast and seems to always run into me as it's hard to get away in those corridors.

zroid

Banned
I suppose I ought to try Air Ride...

never knew anyone who played it before, so I had to take the reviews at face value. Guess that was a mistake.

Tyeforce

You guys are going to have to make an appreciation thread for this game. I keep hearing good things about it and I always just dismissed it off hand.
A lot of people dismissed it like that, unfortunately. But it's an amazing game. It definitely has the Sakurai feel to it. The controls are so simple and intuitive; you literally only use one button to play the game. And you can play City Trial multiplayer over and over again and it just never gets old! Plus the game is full of content, naturally. Every friend that I've ever introduced the game to has become hooked instantly! You could say that it's very much like Smash Bros., if Smash Bros. was a racing game, much like you could say Kid Icarus: Uprising is like Smash Bros. if Smash Bros. was a 3D action/shooter game.

Hale-XF11

Yeah that one. Pretty nice!

sucks enemies in whlie you can slash the shit out of them.

what's it called?

It's just called "black hole," heh. Also, the one I have is only at Level 1. I can only imagine what a higher level form would do to enemies.

TDLink

Hades' heart?
When he splits off he gets damn fast and seems to always run into me as it's hard to get away in those corridors.

Wait for it to come at you in a pathway intersection and dodge at the right moment. Think of it like a bullfight. Taking the power that lets you shoot through walls (or other powers that do something that goes through walls like the mega laser) are also good to have for that fight.

A lot of people dismissed it like that, unfortunately. But it's an amazing game. It definitely has the Sakurai feel to it. The controls are so simple and intuitive; you literally only use one button to play the game. And you can play City Trial multiplayer over and over again and it just never gets old! Plus the game is full of content, naturally. Every friend that I've ever introduced the game to has become hooked instantly! You could say that it's very much like Smash Bros., if Smash Bros. was a racing game, much like you could say Kid Icarus: Uprising is like Smash Bros. if Smash Bros. was a 3D action/shooter game.

I saw it at a local GameStop for $20 yesterday and thought for sure I'd be able to find it much cheaper online but that hasn't been the case. I'm guessing it's kind of rare? Or at least just holding its value in the way Nintendo games tend to. Maybe I should see if they still have it...

massoluk

Banned
Hades' heart?

I think you can still dodge it. I lucked out and killed him in crisis mode, but thinking back, I think you can dodge it when it rushed at you by standing at intersection.

Tyeforce

I saw it at a local GameStop for $20 yesterday and thought for sure I'd be able to find it much cheaper online but that hasn't been the case. I'm guessing it's kind of rare? Or at least just holding its value in the way Nintendo games tend to. Maybe I should see if they still have it...
Yeah, it's pretty hard to find nowadays. Dunno why, though.

daffy

Banned
Why are we doing spoilers without descriptions?

"(Chapter 1X)
Ohana means family
"

If you do it without that then the only people that can safely click are people that have beaten the game.

Chunky

It's also cool how the game hints at Gaols real
gender. "Joke's over, 'Dark Lord'. Now put on some pants and fight like a man!
. I love the writing in this game ~~

Also, 350,000 hearts to that coy bitch Palutena and nothing. Zip. Nada. I get the feeling am getting Saku-trolled.

Who ever is Bigcheesay on the google.docs should update their friend code as its not working for me.

has anyone mained staves as their weapon of choice? I am curious to see how effective the "sniping" can be

I didn't know that you could do more damage when zooming in with a staff?

Jintor

If it weren't for the fact that the controls cause me physical pain (and I am actually quite used to it since it's somewhat similar to the sensation I get if I draw for long periods of time), this would perhaps be my favourite game since Bayonetta.

Jintor

Amazing game, just finished. Just classic

Now.. How do I get better laser claws?.

complete random bullshit. (I think the fusion guide is in the OP, but it doesn't help me much)

I'm concentrating at the moment on trying to consolidate as many +3 or above stats as I can into a single weapon.

WallJump

Banned
Amazing game, just finished. Just classic

Now.. How do I get better laser claws?.

Getting a lot of stars on one can be a pain. I often find myself with 5 or 6 abilities (maybe one or two are good) and lower star ratings for damage.

/educated speculation incoming

I think in the weapon fusion system the "value" defines pretty much everything. Intuitively, you would think you would fuse two weapons, those weapons have a set of abilties and star ratings, and then using some fancy lookup table the game would slap a value on at the end. My theory though is that two weapons fused together generate a weapon with a particular value, which then does a lookup in the opposite direction to determine what abilities and star ratings it will have based on that value.

Two weapons fused together have a new value. Contributing to the value are the combined star ratings and learned abilities of the previous weapons. The better an ability, the more it adds to the value (like Overall Defense +5 geez). The worse an ability, the more it subtracts from the value (I think someone here posted a -4 shot defense). The star values fit into this too. I believe that the theoretically best weapons you could make would have 3 or 4 awesome and potent abilities with two bad abilities that don't affect the weapon so much, like Shot Homing -3 to Bear Claws or something like that. The negative abilities would "allow" for a greater star rating on the weapon in order to preserve the overall value. This is a pretty surprising perspective to take as depending on what you are aiming to get it could actually be BENEFICIAL to pass on negative abilities to other weapons, because as long as they don't hurt the final product very much they could let you have more star ratings or better relevant abilities.

What brings me to this conclusion is that what seems like every time I try to transfer multiple powerful abilities to a new weapon, the star ratings suffer. Likewise, weapons with bad abilities seem to have a higher star ratings for damage. I could be wrong on this of course as it's possible Sakurai and his crew are ahead of me.

Sorry if that doesn't answer any questions but I guess I just wanted to get my theory out there.

EDIT: My personal strategy is to fuse weapons with similar values as much as possible, so as not to dilute the quality of my good weapons with the chaff. It's starting to pay dividends but getting value into the 300s is taking me a long time (highest is like 270-ish at the moment but only on chapter

Busaiku

You don't want that much value in your weapons, cause it could hurt big time in multiplayer.
Just go with the abilities that are useful and some stars for damage, but try to minimize the value.

Bullza2o

What brings me to this conclusion is that what seems like every time I try to transfer a powerful ability to a new weapon, the star ratings suffer. Likewise, weapons with bad abilities seem to have a higher star rating. I could be wrong on this of course as it's possible Sakurai and his crew are ahead of me.
THIS. I spent most of my time on the fusion menu during the last couple of days when playing this game. Even when I try to fuse a really high star-rating weapon and one with good abilities, the game seems to choose the worst possible product.

It annoys me, but I guess I should just continue on with the game to unlock those ? weapons. I'm not even halfway in the story (based on the % on the file choosing screen.

WallJump

Banned
You don't want that much value in your weapons, cause it could hurt big time in multiplayer.
Just go with the abilities that are useful and some stars for damage, but try to minimize the value.

Yeah that's right, I totally forgot about the multiplayer angle having only played a couple matches. Well if one is into min-maxing then I'm sure there are ways to suppress the value of your weapon, like having something like -2 melee on a staff or something.

When I play it I always say I have to talk about it here, but I never remember.
The final flying part of the before last chapter is awesome, and I havent read any comment about it here.
The sound when you finish the flying part is
the THX sound, lol
Makes me laugh every time I hear it (and always think about Abe Simpson lol).

Kid Icarus Uprising is like Star Fox Assault done right. Honestly, whoever is developing the next SF game (I hope is EAD Tokyo) needs to step their game up and come with something amazing because Icarus is now THE flying action / shooting franchise from Nintendo.

I dont think it is, I still think the flying sections of Star Fox 64 are much more strategic and better from a gameplay point (I dont count assault because I dont think it got right).
Now, how epic and beautiful those sections can be, with those wonderful backgrounds and camera pans, its much better than Star Fox 64.

Where I think Kid Icarus really shines is in the ground sections, when you get the hang of the controls, using different weapons aproaching enemies with different gameplay tactics is just amazing. Thast were the meat of the game really is in my opinion.

The majority of the flying sections is just throwing shit into your face, and turns worse if you up too much the intensity. Sin and Punishment and Star Fox 64 are much better and fun in that regard.

The game has definitely made its way into my top 5 as well. Its too fucking good...

(top 5 for reference)
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Final Fantasy IX
3. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
4. Kid Icarus: Uprising

5. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

KI:U gets my pick for GOTY 2012, hands down.

I like the cut of your jib.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
The game has definitely made its way into my top 5 as well. Its too fucking good...

(top 5 for reference)
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Final Fantasy IX
3. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
4. Kid Icarus: Uprising
5. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

KI:U gets my pick for GOTY 2012, hands down.

You do realize it's March, right?

olimpia84

has anyone mained staves as their weapon of choice? I am curious to see how effective the "sniping" can be

Me. Well, sort of. I used an 'average' Laser Staff with 204 value as my main weapon up until chapter
or so then switched to a nice set of Pandora Claws I got by fusing. I didn't really use the sniping feature by double tapping the screen but they have great range regardless and it helped me improve in ground combat since it forces you to become more patient. If anybody is having trouble with the ground controls then I definitely recommend using staves. I'm trying to get a better Laser Staff by fusing weapons but I don't have the right "ingredients" yet.

muu

I thought the same at first, but w/ the rate that your teammates seem to die in MP it feels like more of an advantage if you get stronger weapons and just be a little more discrete in your actions. Team life in L vs D is 900 and since most people use the 220-260 weaps they find while playing MP, you really don't impose a huge penalty to the team by using a 300 weap: an average of 223 - 299 will all result in requiring 4 deaths before you get Pit on the field. Even assuming your mates both have a 280 weap you could use a 339 value weapon and it'd still take the 4th death after all 3 of you have been killed once to trigger an Angel spawn. Hell, take it one step farther and look at it this way: even if you have a 'low power' 175 weap, 3 deaths from teammates w/ average weapon pts of 242+ and your low power weapon death will be enough to deplete the team life bar. In competitive play I'm sure you and your team could tweak this to hell and back, but for random internet matches you might as well wield as strong a weapon as you can get. This is doubly important as your skills don't regen each death unless your weapon value is at a certain threshold.

Cheska

Does anyone think there's a chance they will release a Kid Icarus: Uprising soundtrack? I can't count how many times I'll leave my game idle just to listen to some of the melodies.

JKTrix

My latest concoction, quite happy with it.
gkWvL.jpg

Might even make me try to learn to use it well. The max range of its standard charge shot exceeds the size of the training area, and with the stat bonus the standing charge shot does 297 damage at 150 (the damage in the photo is poison ticking up). Even up close, the standard charge shot does pretty decent damage. The combination of shot range and the standing charge shot skills make this one a keeper, if I decide to be a sniper. You can only do standard charged shots when you're zoomed in, because dashing cancels the zoom, so that one skill is really useful...

Jintor

Oh, so that's why half the Japanese players were flintlocking it up. I kept getting sniped on one of the rocky maps.

Does anyone think there's a chance they will release a Kid Icarus: Uprising soundtrack? I can't count how many times I'll leave my game idle just to listen to some of the melodies.

I desire one so badly.

Boogiepop

So, what do you guys think of using feathers? I've personally been avoiding using them, but maaaaaybe if one the things proves to be more a massive time sink than a challenge (IE play x amount of time or shot x number of shots) by the time I've cleared everything else up then I'll use one.

SmithnCo

So, what do you guys think of using feathers? I've personally been avoiding using them, but maaaaaybe if one the things proves to be more a massive time sink than a challenge (IE play x amount of time or shot x number of shots) by the time I've cleared everything else up then I'll use one.

Ever since Air Ride and Brawl I've always avoided using them for some reason. I think it's the self satisfaction of having a cleared board with all the feathers remaining.

JKTrix

I'm more willing to use feathers for things that involve meeting people in the real world, like swapping gems with 10 people. Not gonna happen where I live.

Neiteio

On Chapter 8, using the Darkness Bow:

Palutena: "Pit, you sure are good with your bow."
Pit: "Yeah, I used it back in Brawl."
Palutena: "Oh no, you were in a brawl? Did you get hurt?!"
Pit: "No, it was a smash."
Palutena: "I didn't know you got into a melee."
Pit: "...well, that's because I didn't."

PKrockin

I was playing Kid Icarus for the first time in many years and I realized something. The NES game has some really weird physics that result in a high learning curve, but a lot of satisfaction when you master them and can bounce around death pits sniping enemies with ease. Just like Uprising's controls.

SmithnCo

Best dialogue yet.

Speaking of feathers, is there any way - any at all - to get them through some sort of grinding process? I'm well on my way to clearing most of the board without having used any, but yeah, some of the requirements (play Nearby, Street Pass stuff) will be an absolute pain. I would hope there's not some sort of absolute limit and I'm stuck somehow.

I don't like when you're not able to 100% a game through solo play.

backlot

Speaking of feathers, is there any way - any at all - to get them through some sort of grinding process? I'm well on my way to clearing most of the board without having used any, but yeah, some of the requirements (play Nearby, Street Pass stuff) will be an absolute pain. I would hope there's not some sort of absolute limit and I'm stuck somehow.

You can only get feathers as prizes for some of the achievements so they are limited. You can do the nearby stuff by just playing with bots though.

Neiteio

Uprising's giving me the exact same feelings RE4, Metroid Prime and Super Mario Galaxy gave me, and those remain some of my all-time favorite games. It's a sensation far more special than the usual blockbuster game. I think it's safe to say this game will stay in my high regard. It helps I have zero difficulty or discomfort with the controls and they feel like an effortless extension of my mind. :)

Also, thanks to whoever shared the tip earlier about clearing 230 enemies on Chapter
to get the flight tune for that level. I did it on 0.0 -- the number of enemies don't change on higher intensity (I know this because I played it on Intensity 8.0 first!), but they don't attack you and go down in one hit, so by the time I finished the flight portion I had 30 more enemies dead than I did on the 8.0 run. Helps a lot!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I didn't SEE this tidbit earlier, but Iwata Asks has a bit discussing how the AR cards are used in this game...

It wouldn't be possible to recognize this many cards with the same technology. We wanted to include pictures of the various characters. So we have it recognize the card screens at a resolution of about 4 by 4 and read a colorbit, while also showing the picture clearly.

I post this as I remember debate about exactly how the AR cards were being read. I'm not entirely sure I understand what "reading the card screens at a resolution of about 4 by 4" means, though...

backlot

I didn't SEE this tidbit earlier, but Iwata Asks has a bit discussing how the AR cards are used in this game...

I post this as I remember debate about exactly how the AR cards were being read. I'm not entirely sure I understand what "reading the card screens at a resolution of about 4 by 4" means, though...

I think it means they just broke the pictures down into a 4x4 grid with each square simplified into a single color to make a sort of code. Sounds pretty cool.

NeoRausch

As far as i know, you can only obtain 3 feathers
for each board
once. And that's it.

Bullza2o

Whoa I have to check this out.

NeoRausch

You can only get feathers as prizes for some of the achievements so they are limited. You can do the nearby stuff by just playing with bots though.
Wait...what? Really? I can just simulate a local multii match...with bots (smacked down to lvl1) and it counts?

Now i know what i'm gonna do this weekend! :3

Top Bottom