• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Souflee

Bonus enemies who reward those who defeat them with tons of extra points and hearts. They dash away when found, so do what you can to take them down before they disappear. Foodies beware: that cherry on top is actually an eye!
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Has anyone tried using a thumb strap? I remember that upping the playability significantly with FPS games on the DS.

Follow up question: Why the fuck did Nintendo drop the thumbstrap?

Neiteio

Oh man... When you guys beat the game, do what Sfried suggested and wait on the last screen... Keep waiting, because what happens is GOLD. XD

ALSO: Got that idol, Sfried. It's AWESOME.
Medusa vs. Hades idol.

cajunator

Banned
I find controlling this game not very difficult, and I say that as a lefty.
I enjoy the humor in this game and how much of a boss Palutena is.

JoeFu

Banned
Just played some online, Meteor Shower is so cheap... I have the level 3 one and I just spam it in a room with people and they all die. Pretty awesome :D

Also the description for the Komayto is amazing

While this creature resembles a certain alien life-form, the last Komaytos are not in captivity and Skyworld is not at peace.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Just finished Chapter

Honestly felt the game was starting to get a little stale. Not only did that change things up a bit but...

I...uh... what just happened?

Kaizer

Banned
So I'm considering picking this from GameStop after I'm done with classes, but I have serious concerns about the controls. Just how steep is the learning curve and is it really functional? I thought having to learn the "claw" for Monster Hunter was bad, but this seems like a degree of difficulty on a whole entire level of its own.

Diffense

One of the things that makes the game great is how cinematic it is while having few cutscenes. You really feel a part of what's happening in each chapter.

On another note, I'm terrible at beating the first boss at intensities higher than 7. I can get to the end of chapter 1 at 8.5 only to lose to him. I just can't seem to get out of his way and he doesn't die fast enough at higher difficulty.

Any tips?

Busaiku

It took me no time at all to get it, but I've been playing DS games like this for years, so I dunno how long it would take the average person.
If you've played a lot of The World Ends With You, it should not be a problem at all.

So I'm considering picking this from GameStop after I'm done with classes, but I have serious concerns about the controls. Just how steep is the learning curve and is it really functional? I thought having to learn the "claw" for Monster Hunter was bad, but this seems like a degree of difficulty on a whole entire level of its own.

It's steep and it's functional, but it's hardly "pick up and play" comfortable. You'll have to find a contortion that works.

Well worth it, though. The game is great.

I found the complaints to be over exaggerated for myself and I could not play Metroid Hunters at all.

Busaiku

Again, I've never played Metroid Prime Hunters beyond the demo, but I think The World Ends With You is a great example of something that would have required adjusting your hards to the system in a similar manner.
If you messed with Pins that required you to move Neku around a lot and did well on Ultimate/Level 1, this game should not be a problem.

Dudes, I am TERRIBLE at the multiplayer :( I've only done 4 levels in Solo so maybe that's why, I just need practice, but man I am feeling overwhelmed out there.

I still luckily managed to be on the winning team both times I tried though :D But man I felt like I wasn't contributing at all.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

It's not that terrible. I'm more or less used to it... still wish it were different, but it's not nearly as bad as it was in the first 8 or so levels.

Honestly, I wouldn't let it get in the way of you buying it. There is just so much to love that it is relatively easy to overlook the controls (or at least, it's easier than most games).

braves01

Banned

Hated Hunters, no problems with Kid Icarus' controls comfort-wise.

Busaiku

Dudes, I am TERRIBLE at the multiplayer :( I've only done 4 levels in Solo so maybe that's why, I just need practice, but man I am feeling overwhelmed out there.

I still luckily managed to be on the winning team both times I tried though :D But man I felt like I wasn't contributing at all.

It's probably just because your weapons/powers aren't quite up to snuff yet, since the game's a week old now, so people have some good weapons all around.
You should play those earlier levels at like 7.0 or so, and you'll get some stuff that can help you keep up a bit.

For the powers though, it'll take a bit more time.

Jintor

Streetpassed two gems today. Yes! They must have been freaked out at my 80% completion ratio when it was just released in this region yesterday. (Advanced review copy)

It's probably just because your weapons/powers aren't quite up to snuff yet, since the game's a week old now, so people have some good weapons all around.
You should play those earlier levels at like 7.0 or so, and you'll get some stuff that can help you keep up a bit.

For the powers though, it'll take a bit more time.

Cool, good to know. Yeah, there's guys out there with weapons that are just flinging me all over the map, and I just have the basic bow and arrow stuff, haha.

So I can get much better weapons by playing higher difficulties? do I get powers that way as well? Do the best weapons tend to come out of single-player play or multi, or is it a mix of both?

Jintor

Fusion and singleplayer at high intensity levels. Multiplayer gets you alright stuff if you do well (and gives you great stuff if you stick it out when you're beginning), but the real good stuff is when you have enough things to fuse like crazy.

Fusion and singleplayer at high intensity levels. Multiplayer gets you alright stuff if you do well (and gives you great stuff if you stick it out when you're beginning), but the real good stuff is when you have enough things to fuse like crazy.

Awesome. I'll have to dig deeper into the game. There are SO MANY components to it! I haven't even tried fusing yet!

RagnarokX

Heh. Chapter ...um near the end.

Pit: "You ever notice how these komaytos look like little metroids?"
Viridi: "Lalala I'm not listening. These games have nothing in common!"

Fused this tonight:
UTTef.jpg

olimpia84

Just finished Chapter

Honestly felt the game was starting to get a little stale. Not only did that change things up a bit but...

I...uh... what just happened?

Just finished Chapter (late-game 1X chapter)

Just. Whoa.

That is all.

Same here, my mind was just blown. This game keeps getting better and better with each chapter. Can't wait until I knock down some more chapters tomorrow.

Giolon

I've only ever had the 'club' weapon dialogue yet.

2x 'bald angel wings' and 5x 'big monsters kill pit grr!' (amazing voice acting) though
Palutena putting on voices is the funniest shit.

I want this dialogue! What weapons/chapters/intensity?

I have finished the game and... this is so gooooooooood. Certainly my GOTY 2012.
Seriously, I'd like a sequel so much... that I prefer Sakurai doesn't make SSB 3D now and makes Kid Icarus Uprising 2... but both would be... :O

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Oooh, finally had two weapons I didn't like but were awesome enough to fuse into a level 300+ weapon. Hello Ogre Club with +2 Weakening and other less important stuff.

So many stars...

So I got this game several days ago because I love Sin and Punishment, really like the Smash games, like the other Kid Icarus games, and all the reviews are positive.

I just can't seem to start playing it though. I'm having a mental block on making time for this game since I know I'm going to have to work to get used to the controls.

Diffense

After having the game a few days controls are a complete non-issue for me and I even have a comfortable way of holding the 3DS. IMO, KIU definitely challenges you to master it but it's by no means flawed.

I suppose your viewpoint will be different when you're under pressure to finish the game and publish a review. I'm playing in such a lesiurely pace that I'm only at chapter 7. I have played a lot of multiplayer though. I have 53 LvD wins and 266 kills.

The controls aren't nearly as bad as Monster Hunter. Not even as bad as Tri. I think the controls are pretty easy to learn and they work well in the game. They're just not comfortable and could have been done a lot better.

Thoraxes

The controls aren't nearly as bad as Monster Hunter. Not even as bad as Tri. I think the controls are pretty easy to learn and they work well in the game. They're just not comfortable and could have been done a lot better.

For me I had cramps the first day, and then have yet to ever have any cramps ever since.

It's a pain-free experience now for me and have had no problems since.

Top Bottom