• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Having just gone through Chapters 17 and 18 again on my second run I felt as if Chapter 17 was one of the weakest in the game, Chapter 18 was still top notch as far as i'm concerned.

Yeah,
Pyrrhon inexplicably turning evil felt like a huge cop-out to me, especially since he was one of the
best characters. The fact that they turned
an enjoyably over-the-top guy into a bland, monotone Borg rip-off
just for the sake of a boss battle was the only sour part of the game for me.

Neiteio

So I did research on that enemy named Orne that plays that awesome chiptune music when you encounter him, but apparently he wasn't in the original Kid Icarus. Maybe he was in Of Myths and Monsters?

By the way that music is awesome.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYyeXiGq-18
Ah, that's surprising to learn Orne wasn't in the original Kid Icarus. I assumed he was due to the chiptune, much like how the Reaper theme plays when spotted by Reapers. I'm still working my way through 3D Classics KI.

But yeah, I love Orne's theme. I also love Orne himself: He's a terrifying presence, right up there with Clobberskull and Mimicutie, even though he's easier to evade. He's also eye-catching -- great design, color scheme, animation and lighting effects there.

I also find myself really liking
Nutski, the flying cyclopean acorn enemy that serves as the basic grunt in the Forces of Nature
. It's the equivalent of a Monoeye, but I like how it can flip upside-down and looks like a face, and how it pops like a balloon when shot down.

I really love all of the enemies in this game. Each requires a different approach at close- and long-range, each has a distinctive look that reminds me of yokai (Japanese ghost stories and folklore) while at the same time being something unique. The monsters in the
Forces of Nature
are especially cool-looking.

onilink88

Blast it, I can't seem to figure out what determines what weapon properties carry over when fusing. I've got a ton of weapons lying around, but I don't wanna fuse 'em because none of their useful effects transfer over... Those "overall defense +5s", "running speed +3s" and "freezing +3s" are just sitting there, staring me in the face, mocking me.

I'm being trolled by inanimate objects for Pete's sake. XD

Blast it, I can't seem to figure out what determines what weapon properties carry over when fusing. I've got a ton of weapons lying around, but I don't wanna fuse 'em because none of their useful effects transfer over... Those "overall defense +5s", "running speed +3s" and "freezing +3s" are just sitting there, staring me in the face, mocking me.

I wonder how much you can fuse until you can fuse no more. Like what is the ultimate fusion, you know?

Yeah,
Pyrrhon inexplicably turning evil felt like a huge cop-out to me, especially since he was one of the
best characters. The fact that they turned
an enjoyably over-the-top guy into a bland, monotone Borg rip-off
just for the sake of a boss battle was the only sour part of the game for me.
*Chapter 17/18 spoilers*
I want to believe that all along he was just under mind control since he was awesome but who knows, the chapter felt a little bit inconclusive, they take out the brain, Palutena claims Pyrrhon is blasting the whole structure off to the other side of the galaxy or something (of his own will? against his will?) and then the chapter 18 swerve takes effect immediately after. But really my main gripe with the chapter is how it just kind of sucks, you spend the entire ground section standing on a moving platform shooting at enemies which is very limited, it's like a bad restrictive flight section immediately after an actual flight section with one of the weaker boss battles to top it off.

Ah, that's surprising to learn Orne wasn't in the original Kid Icarus. I assumed he was due to the chiptune, much like how the Reaper theme plays when spotted by Reapers. I'm still working my way through 3D Classics KI.

But yeah, I love Orne's theme. I also love Orne himself: He's a terrifying presence, right up there with Clobberskull and Mimicutie, even though he's easier to evade. He's also eye-catching -- great design, color scheme, animation and lighting effects there.

I also find myself really liking
Nutski, the flying cyclopean acorn enemy that serves as the basic grunt in the Forces of Nature
. It's the equivalent of a Monoeye, but I like how it can flip upside-down and looks like a face, and how it pops like a balloon when shot down.

I really love all of the enemies in this game. Each requires a different approach at close- and long-range, each has a distinctive look that reminds me of yokai (Japanese ghost stories and folklore) while at the same time being something unique. The monsters in the
Forces of Nature
are especially cool-looking.

It's funny that it wasn't until really late in the game I found out the Orne was a one hit death deal, I went to melee it with disastrous results. I blame the sacred treasures for making me consider them a standard foe.
Now the
Nutski
is it just me or are those guys incredibly potent for what they are, it's like their attacks are trickier to dodge, hit harder and a fired with greater frequency and accuracy compared to old moneye, I kind of hate them.
Forces of nature
in general seem to be stronger than other enemies.

Anyway my favourite enemies are probably The Reapers, the guy who splits in half, Space Pirates and Merenguy with its funky dancing

Busaiku

Seriously, Mimicuties and Reapers are easily the most terrifying enemies in the game.
Cloberskulls are at least easy to dodge and keep distance.

muu

Just seems like blind luck which properties transfer over. The number of things (and stars) that transfer are dependent on the value of the weapons though, so you'd probably have better luck if you make a stronger weapon to fuse with.

Busaiku

The entire Chapter 18 though wasn't anything special though. The entire girl/dog portions were completely pointless, since you were just essentially walking in a straight line, with no sense of danger or anything. And then Magnus had essentially a Club, which was lame.
Heck the fact that it was a time skip for no reason also leaves me down.

So essentially, I felt there was little variety, despite everything that was different.

Whereas in Chapter 17, it took the standard battles and turned them into something different. And the boss battle was different as well.
All of the Aurum Bosses were fun.
And keeping your support alive while trying to battle all over the platform also brought out some more variations to the standard formula.

Some of Pit's lines in Chapter 18 was fine, but I thought it was better in Chapter 17 as well.
And of course Chapter 23 had the best stuff from Pit, far trumping anything from Chapter 18 - Chapter 20.

onilink88

I wonder how much you can fuse until you can fuse no more. Like what is the ultimate fusion, you know?

Well, I would think that an "ultimate fusion" would equate to a weapon having max stars in both the melee and ranged department with all of its slots being filled with effects that perfectly complement the weapon type.

Just seems like blind luck which properties transfer over. The number of things (and stars) that transfer are dependent on the value of the weapons though, so you'd probably have better luck if you make a stronger weapon to fuse with.

Oh, I got the stars and value bit, the problem I'm having is that, as you put it, I seem to have no luck whatsoever when it comes to properties that transfer. :(

hatchx

Banned
Not sure if this has been said, but pleas, everyone:

When on the Motorcycle vehicle, simply do not use the stylus. The analog-nub will move the camera and everything controls like a racer! Do not use the stylus! See the light!

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Busaiku, it seems the practice in the thread has been to spoiler tag the chapter numbers at any time.

Just saying.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano

If you're keeping up with what each pair of weapons results with when fused, then try to get other weapons that share those same attributes. Doing so will make it more likely that the resulting weapon you end up takes at least one of those attributes from a parent weapon.

Keep in mind that weapon pairs with higher values are more likely to carry over most of the good stats, though. Think 290-300-ish value weapons.

If anyone wants to play a few rounds of multiplayer(I see Busaiku set up a room) my FC is

3780 9026 7688

I've been dipping in and out of this thread so just quote me or send me a PM with your FC so I can add you.

Man, I've been humming the air battle themes from
Lightning Battle and Mysterious Invaders
as well as Dark Lord Gaol's Castle all day long. This game has some really catchy music!

muu

If you're keeping up with what each pair of weapons results with when fused, then try to get other weapons that share those same attributes. Doing so will make it more likely that the resulting weapon you end up takes at least one of those attributes from a parent weapon.

Keep in mind that weapon pairs with higher values are more likely to carry over most of the good stats, though. Think 290-300-ish value weapons.

You know what'd be really useful would be an excel sheet that shows you all the possible combinations needed for crafting a certain weapon. Shouldn't be too hard to do since we know the formula (minus some exceptions), just gotta get someone w/ the time to blow on some spreadsheet action...

I don't believe you are ever forced to engage any Reapers. Palutena tells you in the beginning of the level to stay out of their line of sight (helpful red line is there too) and they won't attack you. There's a room toward the end shaped like a horseshoe with some boxes you have to bust to get out of the room- that one, it can be a little tricky not to get spotted. But in most cases you can just ignore them.

I have been doing the same as you though- replaying the earlier levels over and over again because THIS GAME. But I have noticed that you get much better rewards for playing on later levels than earlier ones at the same intensity, so that has helped motivate me to actually advance the story.

True. But the thing is they give you a lot of Hearts once defeated. Especially if you have the Heart Booster power. Really I just love hearing the classic 8 bit theme and watching him send the Reapettes after me. I'm a sucker for seeing my favorite 2D moments translated so perfectly in 3D, and this is no exception! Everytime it happens I'm like "It's just like the original KI!"

Although I think the original Reaper designs are more goofy looking in retrospect.

If anyone wants to play a few rounds of multiplayer(I see Busaiku set up a room) my FC is

3780 9026 7688

I've been dipping in and out of this thread so just quote me or send me a PM with your FC so I can add you.

My FC is 4167 4489 6962, but my 3DS isn't with my right now, so I can't play until later tonight.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
The entire Chapter 18 though wasn't anything special though. The entire girl/dog portions were completely pointless, since you were just essentially walking in a straight line, with no sense of danger or anything. And then Magnus had essentially a Club, which was lame.
Heck the fact that it was a time skip for no reason also leaves me down.

So essentially, I felt there was little variety, despite everything that was different.

Whereas in Chapter 17, it took the standard battles and turned them into something different. And the boss battle was different as well.
All of the Aurum Bosses were fun.
And keeping your support alive while trying to battle all over the platform also brought out some more variations to the standard formula.

Some of Pit's lines in Chapter 18 was fine, but I thought it was better in Chapter 17 as well.
And of course Chapter 23 had the best stuff from Pit, far trumping anything from Chapter 18 - Chapter 20.

Completely disagree.
Chapter 18
was so awesome.

Oh my expensive "super" raptor claws completely failed me in a free for all, couldn't get like any successful melee attacks leaving me with its pitiful projectiles, and they suck for air battles in single player, maybe I shouldn't have shelled out all my hearts for them after all.

But on the upside I won a team game by getting in a one on one sword dual with pit where I finally managed to get the first and decisive hit in with the samurai blade causing Pit to go flying down into a lava pit for instant death, it felt pretty awesome, I can't think of a more suitable weapon for that moment.

onilink88

I've tried fusing weapons with similar properties, but, still, no dice. Although, those weapons were valued between 260 and 280. Guess I'll try it again when/if I obtain higher valued ones.

You know what'd be really useful would be an excel sheet that shows you all the possible combinations needed for crafting a certain weapon. Shouldn't be too hard to do since we know the formula (minus some exceptions), just gotta get someone w/ the time to blow on some spreadsheet action...

***Spoilers in link***

Does this work for ya'?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I'll help. I've got about a page or two worth of ingredients to get a Somewhat Staff, Lancer Staff,
Viridi
Palm, and a few ingredients to make other things.

Chunky

3780 9026 7688

Added, have yet to play against non-rando's. :D
My fc's in the sheet

muu

I've tried fusing weapons with similar properties, but, still, no dice. Although, those weapons were valued between 260 and 280. Guess I'll try it again when/if I obtain higher valued ones.

***Spoilers in link***

Does this work for ya'?

I'm thinking more like this:

http://www.tokogm.info/palutena/weapon/fusion.php

I got both versions now so I guess I could just play w/ the JP ver and use this page. Palutena sounds so much better in english though, and I do have weapons gained from ~500 online matches on that side.

Aannd... added my FC to the OP excel sheet. Going to be out of town for a few days so it may be a while before I add people back.

JoeFu

Banned

3780 9026 7688

Mine is 2707-1614-6031

Looking to play with people! Can somebody link the spreadsheet?

NVM saw it in the OP

Tom_Cody

Is there a guide on how to unlock all the weapons yet? I'm tired of seeing all these X's on my fusion chart.
As far as I know most of it comes from just plowing through single player. You should unlock 1-2 weapons per level.

Basically the game is encouraging the player to make progress through the game and not just toil on the weapon fusion screen.

i wish i had better stats on this because it looks awesome

qugh8.jpg

For all the stars I had on a similar pair of Pandora Claws I was disappointed in the damage output. Even melee seemed pretty weak. LOVE the backdash charge attack though.

I think Claws are for techies. They have minimal damage output but the upside is faster movement and combo opportunities. I'm sure they work really well with Playing Dead.

daakusedo

I finished the story today and have roughly 17 hours of playtime with multiplayer in and still I have a lot of room to improve.
With my first experience with the game I was thinking the air battles would be hard to master playing in high intensity.
I was a bit worried about them because I could never passed them without dying at high level.

Now I take them with calm and not shooting every time to move quicker because you have to endure the beams and shots. I always want to finish every monsters fast but that the better to way to get hit.

The same in multiplayer, I was dodging and shooting constantly but you don't live long like that.

In the end what a joy to replaying earlier levels with this feeling of handling the storm with 9.0 intensity becoming a possibility to succeed.

I think the two things I like the most is the clearing of the screen in air by going one side to another so fast and attacking on 360° on the ground, rushing on a monster, doing a 180, shooting around and rushing again. That's a real power you're gaining and not the game making you think you're strong.

Neiteio

It's funny that it wasn't until really late in the game I found out the Orne was a one hit death deal, I went to melee it with disastrous results. I blame the sacred treasures for making me consider them a standard foe.

Now the
Nutski
is it just me or are those guys incredibly potent for what they are, it's like their attacks are trickier to dodge, hit harder and a fired with greater frequency and accuracy compared to old moneye, I kind of hate them.
Forces of nature
in general seem to be stronger than other enemies.

Anyway my favourite enemies are probably The Reapers, the guy who splits in half, Space Pirates and Merenguy with its funky dancing
Yay, enemy discussion! As an idol aficionado, it's one of my favorite elements of this game. <3

Regarding the damage
Nutski
can take and dish out, it varies; I suspect in some chapters he's stronger because he's in fact a
replica, like the ones made by Dyntos
. Most of the time, a side charge shot can pop him like a balloon, but maybe that's because of the weapons I use (all types, but usually high 200s). He's just so iconic, though, as simple as his design looks and sounds on paper. I know his design works because in Chapter
, in
Hades' belly
, there's a part where you can
see through Hades' eyes -- illustrated scenes are depicted on the walls leading to the hearts -- and you see the Forces of Nature army he sees approaching, Nutski among them
, and I actually felt a twinge of nostalgia seeing them -- and I just got this game a week ago! It's like a new Goomba is born, lol.

I've been having a lot of fun fighting the
Fort Oinks (enemy-spawning flying fortresses with pig-like doors)
and
Juggernauts (Bayonetta-esque heavy artillery in Palutena's army, first seen in Chapter 18
. There's something very satisfying about seeing them go down in flames. Ditto for Belunka, the flying whale/troop transport. A tip for him: Hit him when his mouth is open!

I'll need to boot up my game later and glance over the idols to refresh my memory on some enemies in particular. So many of them!

KevinCow

Banned
Complete the Treasure Hunt squares and get Zodiac Room treasures.
And after you get through certain Chatpers, you also get new weapons.

As far as I know most of it comes from just plowing through single player. You should unlock 1-2 weapons per level.

Basically the game is encouraging the player to make progress through the game and not just toil on the weapon fusion screen.

I've beaten the game and they're not all unlocked.

What I want is a guide on where the Zodiac chambers are and which challenges I need to complete.

Top Bottom