• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Jintor

The controls are manage able in single player, but in multiplayer not being able to move/dodge while cycling through special items is quite a flaw. Also the screen is too small and it is simply hard to get a good read on what is happening and who is around you.

I agree with the first bit, but not really the second bit. Between sound indicators for projectiles and the visual direction cues on-screen, I find it relatively easy to keep track.

Riposte

I agree with the first bit, but not really the second bit. Between sound indicators for projectiles and the visual direction cues on-screen, I find it relatively easy to keep track.

Maybe won't be an issue if I play more.

I get the feeling I'd like the camera more if I had a second slide pad.

PKrockin

Finally got my copy from Amazon (stupid me for ordering other games along with it) but the pre-order was suppose to include 3D Classics: Kid Icarus. I've yet to get a download code....I guess I need to contact Amazon.com about this, right? Unless the game isn't out yet in North America 3DS eShop.

This happened to me. I just got on the Live Chat and let them know. They gave me the code over the chat and sent the email.

Bullza2o

Well I see Boney and Gravijah having a full-house match, but if anyone else wants to do LvD me and sorijealut have a room available.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So Magnus club with 2 Ranged 1 Melee and

Overall Defense +1
Health +2
Paralysis +3
Stamina +3
Power Attack +1
In-peril Autododge +2

or

2 1/2 Ranged 2 Melee and

Melee Defense +1
Paralysis +1
Running Speed +3
Forward-dash ch. Shot +4!
Knockback Recovery +1

Question:
Do Speed, Running Speed, and/or Walking Speed stack? Is Speed +1 the same as Running Speed +1 combined with Walking Speed +1?

I know no one knows for certain, but I'm wondering if anyone has fiddled with this.

There's also the Health +X vs. Full Health +X or something, and I don't know what's going on there at all.

Two small things I wish would change in this game:
1) I want a mode where I can practice dodging.
2) I wish PvP hearts gained correlated to points earned, and that I just got more of them in general.

So Magnus club with 2 Ranged 1 Melee and

Overall Defense +1
Health +2
Paralysis +3
Stamina +3
Power Attack +1
In-peril Autododge +2

or

2 1/2 Ranged 2 Melee and

Melee Defense +1
Paralysis +1
Running Speed +3
Forward-dash ch. Shot +4!
Knockback Recovery +1
Second is clearly superior IMO.

PvP-ers, what powers do you like to use? I've found that Angelic Missile is a life saver. You can rocket out of all those big explosion-like abilities people love to spam, including the gravity orbs. I pretty much never play without Angelic Missile just for that reason, but it's also great for being able to save your butt quickly if you're overwhelmed, and I'd say 1/10 uses I kill someone too, since it does ~50 damage on hit depending on distance.

Boogiepop

Man, homing attacks are a bit of an issue when trying to
beat the Chaos Kin without hitting Palutena.
Screwed up my run through that level a little, but it wasn't a total wash as I at least got to the Zodiac Chamber this time (as well as managing to check behind both of the meh gates. Why are all the gates I make it to at the right level just a boring treasure chest? :()

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Count me in as another lefty that doesn't need the circle pad and has no problem with the ABXY option.
I love the Stand. I'm even using it for other games now. Also makes for a great tripod-like device for keeping your 3DS still when taking timelapse photos.

i cant wait to transfer these stats to another weapon with more stars
knuckle staff
(1, 1)
shot defense +3
poison +1
Shot homing +3
Forward Dash cont. fire +4
Effect Duration +3
Full health boost +4

Jintor

Holy shit, that's crazy.

I like Super Armour cos it lasts a while and totally negates knockback. I just love whaling on people with my giant-ass club in the middle of an explosion. The invincibility drop power only lasts like 3 seconds, it's useless.

OmegaZero

Someone had a post elaborating on the counter or clashing mechanic that takes place in melee v melee battles, anyone able to dredge it up?

I don't know where it is, but from what I can tell:
-After both characters clash, the heavier one gets sent farther away (club vs palm, for example).
-I'm still not sure if this is true, but supposedly lighter weapons get "stunned" longer if they clash with heavier ones. If true, it's not really noticeable anyway...

Neiteio

Got this game for my brother as a gift since he's going on a work-related trip. He's a far more casual gamer than I, but like me he took to the controls naturally, no stand necessary, and no tweaking beyond increased aiming speed and camera stopping. I'm excited to hear his thoughts as he delves deeper into the game. :)

hatchx

Banned
I think the game is selling well,

Some anecdotes...

Today I saw a kid playing this in a restaurant, then at Wal-Mart the game was completely sold out.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Super Armor, Meteor Shower, Energy Charge, Explosive Flame, Transparency, Invisible Shot, Playing Dead, Slip Shot, Lightweight, Bumble Bee are all abilities I use depending on the weapon.

Even something as simple as health recovery can be really nice.

backlot

Super Armor, Meteor Shower, Energy Charge, Explosive Flame, Transparency, Invisible Shot, Playing Dead, Slip Shot, Lightweight, Bumble Bee are all abilities I use depending on the weapon.

I saw someone try using Playing Dead while they were Pit. It's pretty obvious you didn't die when the game didn't end, though.

What do Slip Shot and Lightweight do? I haven't gotten those. Meteor Shower seems too situational to make use of - how do you use it?

I saw someone try using Playing Dead while they were Pit. It's pretty obvious you didn't die when the game didn't end, though.
It still makes you invisible, and if you're going to die, why not give it a shot?!

Busaiku

Good games Greenyz, Coltrane, Sidney, Gravijah, and Boney.
Aurum Palms
are devastating in Light vs Dark.

Seriously, the range of like a Bow, with constant shots and free movement.
This thing is insane.

And mine has Evasion too!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Slip shot makes shots go through walls like some of the club special shots already do. Can be nasty as hell.

Lightweight makes you take more damage but in return you move slightly faster and tire slower.

My favorite LvD story: I'm trying out this new Magnus club and am having a decent fight with four kills, but my team sucks and we are behind. Finally get ganked by all of them, and become pit.

The weapon I get? my previous go to weapon for the last four or five hours, the ogre club. I proceed to stomp the hell out their team, end up with ten kills, 2207 points and a brand new super armor level 4.

Boney

Banned
Aurum Palms

This thing is insane.

you were raping me with those, didn't figure out how to get close

still can't wrap my mind around multi though

Slip shot makes shots go through walls like some of the club special shots already do. Can be nasty as hell.

Lightweight makes you take more damage but in return you move slightly faster and tire slower.

My favorite LvD story: I'm trying out this new Magnus club and am having a decent fight with four kills, but my team sucks and we are behind. Finally get ganked by all of them, and become pit.

The weapon I get? my previous go to weapon for the last four or five hours, the ogre club. I proceed to stomp the hell out their team, end up with ten kills, 2207 points and a brand new super armor level 4.
My favorite moment is definitely from today. All players in the same spot and everyone is throwing their AoE around, which fills my screen with flashing colors completely disorienting me until everyone dies simultaneously and the match ends. I did not know WHAT was going on there.

It's funny how newbies group together like you can just mob opponents Easier targeting for me!

Jetku

Play dead is by far my best skill. It fools people every damn time. Gets me so many extra kills, or gives me a break to run and heal. It seems a bit too cheap to me.

Neiteio

Love this story. :) I also love the roar of an Ogre Club charge shot. <3

Aurum Palms

This thing is insane.

IT WAS YOU! i'm Sidney btw.

Busaiku

Evasion is a really powerful (possibly broken) attribute.
I only have +1 and I'm dodging something like 15% - 25% of all the ranged stuff, mostly charged shots.

Lately I've been using Bumblebee + Super Armor + Libra Sponge.

After activating all three at once I just go hog-wild with my +4 Freezing +3 Melee Combo Optical Blade. Once Libra Sponge does its thing I can usually kill someone in two or three hits!

Doorman

I would just like to say this.

Play Dead is a fucking overpowered skill, holy Christ it is.

I understand faking a death and using it to cover an escape or whatnot, but it leaves you not only invisible but apparently invulnerable as well until you move. Which means someone can play dead and then just stand there and snipe at you with NO REPERCUSSIONS WHATSOEVER until the effect nears wearing off. One of my friends uses it to great effect whenever his health gets low and it's a fucking annoyance to deal with. There are a few powers like that that just feel like they throw off the balance of everything else way too much.

After activating all three at once I just go hog-wild with my +4 Freezing +3 Melee Combo Optical Blade. Once Libra Sponge does its thing I can usually kill someone in two or three hits!
What's Libra Sponge?

I don't think Play Dead is overpowered, because it takes up a huge number of squares that can be used for offensive power. I think I only have Play Dead Lvl 2, and it takes up close to two full rows IIRC. If you had Super Armor instead, you probably wouldn't need to be playing dead, since you would have actually won the melee.

I think Play Dead is best for sniper characters to run away. The invisibility is also very short, so if your opponent wants he could just back off and survey the surroundings for a moment.

Similarly, I think Bumble Bee is pretty bad for clubs. In my experience, it's still hard as hell to hit your opponent while being teleported next to them if they're kiting you because you move so slow. Better to use Counter, and save Bumble Bee for claws or palms.

This all seems to be designed very well to me.

Aurum Palms

This thing is insane.

Sup :p

It was my first time playing multi, pretty darn frenetic. Need to adjust my reticule speed...

Gravijah

Aurum Palms

This thing is insane.

good thing neither of you were in the pokegaf irc to hear me bitching. those were my first games playing online and they were brutal at first. once i actually figured out what i was doing it wasn't so bad~

Insaniac

I would just like to say this.

Play Dead is a fucking overpowered skill, holy Christ it is.

I understand faking a death and using it to cover an escape or whatnot, but it leaves you not only invisible but apparently invulnerable as well until you move. Which means someone can play dead and then just stand there and snipe at you with NO REPERCUSSIONS WHATSOEVER until the effect nears wearing off. One of my friends uses it to great effect whenever his health gets low and it's a fucking annoyance to deal with. There are a few powers like that that just feel like they throw off the balance of everything else way too much.

I have used it a lot more now that I've discovered that you can't be hurt while invisible.

RagnarokX

Just beat the game. Can't believe I was going to pass on this. Game had me smiling the whole time. Awesome music. Awesome dialogue. Awesome battles. So awesome.

Doorman

What's Libra Sponge?

I don't think Play Dead is overpowered, because it takes up a huge number of squares that can be used for offensive power. I think I only have Play Dead Lvl 2, and it takes up close to two full rows IIRC. If you had Super Armor instead, you probably wouldn't need to be playing dead, since you would have actually won the melee.

I think Play Dead is best for sniper characters to run away. The invisibility is also very short, so if your opponent wants he could just back off and survey the surroundings for a moment.

Similarly, I think Bumble Bee is pretty bad for clubs. In my experience, it's still hard as hell to hit your opponent while being teleported next to them if they're kiting you because you move so slow. Better to use Counter, and save Bumble Bee for claws or palms.

This all seems to be designed very well to me.

In the experience I've had tonight, it's not that short as long as you don't move. The player I was facing was invisible and invulnerable for at least ten seconds but could still fire freely. If they made the invulnerable period very short to start with and knocked you out of invisibility once you got hit outside of that, I could buy it, since then it actually would work as a retreat power, but as it stands it just allows someone to play dead at the right time and then get free hits in while the other player flees, since nothing can be done to stop it.

Busaiku

good thing neither of you were in the pokegaf irc to hear me bitching. those were my first games playing online and they were brutal at first. once i actually figured out what i was doing it wasn't so bad~

You were using Meteor Bow right?
It was really annoying from a distance, but it sucks that if someone closes in on you, it's completely useless.

Add to that the fact that you're not as mobile with Bows vs Palms, it's a terrible match for sure up close.'

Aurum Palms
are pretty horrible in Free For All though.
Great in Light vs Dark since there's the extra support for the kills, whereas everyone's rushing down everyone in Free For All.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Not much of a club user.

Should I go for it?

YGm2p.png

Gravijah

You were using Meteor Bow right?
It was really annoying from a distance, but it sucks that if someone closes in on you, it's completely useless.

Add to that the fact that you're not as mobile with Bows vs Palms, it's a terrible match for sure up close.'

Aurum Palms
are pretty horrible in Free For All though.
Great in Light vs Dark since there's the extra support for the kills, whereas everyone's rushing down everyone in Free For All.

yep, was using the meteor bow. horrible up close, but it fit my playstyle to sit back and chip damage while my teammates cleaned up.

OmegaZero

Whoa.
Just discovered a whole alternate path during the flying part of Chapter
Just
get hit by the pirate ship and Pit will be knocked underneath the Galactic Sea

Top Bottom