• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Blasphemy!
Regretting buying the game because of controls that you will get used to?
It's not like anyone here got used to the controls in the first twenty minutes.

Give it time. Play this game. The story and dialogue and music and graphics and everything else is totally worth it.

Having said that, Spoilers for Chapter
23:

Is Pit now LITERALLY...ahem..."holy crap"?

Jintor

By the way,

Is there any additional dialogue with Gaol and Magnus or the Pseudo-Palutena in Dynos's Trials? I was really hoping Psuedo-Palutena was actual Palutena messing with you.

Sapiens

the story of the game is just...

...pointless and annoying with shitty voice acting? "This thing runs on Goddess Power" - which is not funny or charming on any level. I question the people who praise the VA and story. I seriously question their sanity.

After a week with this game - the online mode is my favourite part.

Fast paced, frantic - and the quick stylus controls actually kind of make it unique.

Wizpig

Is a decent-quality version of the Palutena with glasses artwork available on the internet?

I'd really like an avatar from that.

Jintor

...pointless and annoying with shitty voice acting? "This thing runs on Goddess Power" - which is not funny or charming on any level. I question the people who praise the VA and story. I seriously question their sanity.

You're a terrible, terrible person.

To each his own, I guess?
I really dig the voice acting and humor in this game. The story is not one of EPIC proportions, but it's still told well and has some really good plot twists.

I'm sorry if us enjoying the tiny things makes you question our sanity, but then again nobody forced you to like the story or voice acting.

Jintor

Send help

I can't stop fusing shit together even though I don't really understand how the system works

this is all going to end in tears

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh Pyrrhon you so crazy.

Boken

Banned
You guys make me really want this game :<

Last time I let GAF hype dictate my out of genre game choices I ended up buying M3DL. (And I only cleared 4 worlds.)

What's the hook to this game anyway? Grinding loot?

Wizpig

@ScraftyDevil:
Thanks! :D

I'm sorry if us enjoying the tiny things makes you question our sanity, but then again nobody forced you to like the story or voice acting.
And to this truth I'll add: I always question the sanity of posters feeling morally obligated to post something like "lolz how can u enjoy this u stupid people" just because they see other posters enjoying that element, and there have been a few examples in the thread already.

It's not even a gameplay element, it's not like enjoying tripping in Smash Bros. Brawl.

Lol, insanity.

Yeah, but I'm trying to get traits to carry over. I need my +4 speed on every club

Ah, so that's what you're trying for. I just made a +4 speed, +3 Freezing Atlas Club last night. I had to chain fuse the two traits from a 148-value Black Club. It took like, 15 fusions.

Sapiens

You're a terrible, terrible person.

The problem I have with the voice acting is that 90% of it does not pertain to gameplay. The 10% that does is useful - like knowing that one monster needs to be meleé'd when green and etc - is actually nice to hear. It's a great addition.

Problem is, I have to deal with the rest of the VA as well. It also drones over the amazing, orchestrated score.

It's terrible. Nintendo spends who knows how much on having a live orchestra perform some awesome music, and then they have shitty Voice Actors drone over top of it all the time.

So, I end up just having the sub titles on the top screen with the VA very low.

sfried

The problem I have with the voice acting is that 90% of it does not pertain to gameplay. The 10% that does is useful - like knowing that one monster needs to be meleé'd when green and etc - is actually nice to hear. It's a great addition.

Problem is, I have to deal with the rest of the VA as well. It also drones over the amazing, orchestrated score.

It's terrible. Nintendo spends who knows how much on having a live orchestra perform some awesome music, and then they have shitty Voice Actors drone over top of it all the time.

Actually, if you finish the game
you will have the ability to turn the banter off

KevinCow

Banned
I think these are the weapons I'm missing:

Viridi Claws
Aurum Orbitars
Centurion Orbitars
Aurum Blade
Palutena Blade
Aurum Club
Hewdraw Club
Aurum Bow
Palutena Bow

Anyone know which challenges I need to do to unlock them?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
One of my favourite litte moments in the game is on chapter
, where
Magnus/Pit sees the Souflee in the hot spring, and Magnus says "You know the old saying: chase two rabbits and you'll catch neither" (or whatever). Totally got me.

PK Gaming

How does it feel to wake up in the morning knowing that you have to live the rest of your life being wrong all the time?

SmithnCo

Actually, if you finish the game
you will have the ability to turn the banter off

Cool, I didn't know that.
I love the dialogue but t would be fun to replay just listening to the excellent music.

Club Nintendo or something really needs to put up an OST.

Neiteio

By the way,

Is there any additional dialogue with Gaol and Magnus or the Pseudo-Palutena in Dynos's Trials? I was really hoping Psuedo-Palutena was actual Palutena messing with you.
Actually,
after I fought Pseudo-Palutena, Palutena said she had fallen into a deep sleep and she didn't know what happened to her... suggesting she had fallen under Dyntos' spell and served her role in the trial as Pseduo-Palutena, if I'm not mistaken.
As for
Magnus and Gaol
, they have quite a bit of banter.

Is anyone else embarrassingly touched by Pit and Palutena's relationship?
When they reunite and Pit says something along the lines of "I missed you Lady Palutena!" I was like ;_;

The problem I have with the voice acting is that 90% of it does not pertain to gameplay.

It's funny how you loath the second or third best thing in the whole game. I mean the fourth wall in this game is pretty much nonexistent. If that would annoy me I probably wouldn't play this game at all.

It's meant to be fun. Just try to have fun. Get with it. Get the humor. Laugh a bit. It doesn't hurt, you know.

Busaiku

Yeah, definitely, I was looking forward to it since 3D screens were first available.
But there's just too much going on during higher Intensities that 3D would seriously be a hindrance.

SmithnCo

From grinding out hearts, I've found that the Heart Booster perk makes a pretty noticeable difference. Same with the "Heart Boost" (I think) weapon modifier. I'm looking for a weapon with heart boost +4 if there is one, to see how big the difference is.

Heart boost +1 seems to make a 2000 heart difference on level one difficulty 9.0, with heart booster activated when possible. The heart booster perk itself gives you a couple thousand more as well if you use it throughout the level.

The most hearts I've gotten from level one difficulty 9.0 so far is around 17,000 - 18,000, with heart booster level 4 and +1 hearts on the weapon.

On 5.0 or less, I play with 3D on, anything higher, it's off.

Yup. It just gets too distracting if you happen to move it and mess up the 3D.

So...I finally beat it.

(endgame spoilers, obviously)

Hades is THE! BEST! VILLAIN!
He's so smug. He's so cool. He's just fabulous. I want to see him in the next Smash Bros in some form, maybe an Assist trophy. With hilarious banter.
The guy who voices him needs to get more work. Seriously, his work here is absolutely gorgeous.

I really hope you can get blue-haired Hades as an Idol.

The post-game content is okay so far. I like it that you can change between Palutena and Viridi themed Solo menus (and as such can offer hearts to both godesses).

Boss Battle I basically rushed through, although I was just about to die on The Sacred Treasure. Still beat it though. Won't be able to beat Hard mode on that for a loooong time.

This game is the best. This is already a very, VERY strong contender for my GOTY 2012.
I actually didn't expect much from this game when I first bought it. Then I got TOTALLY blown away by how much content there is and how cool and funny and beautiful everything is.
My god. This game.
THIS GAME.

THIS!!!
FUCKING!!!
GAME!!!

Now on to get all treasure chests, every weapon and beat all the Chapters on 9.0.

By the way, what was that talk about
an unlockable intensity level of 10.0?
Is that actually true? I hope it is. It would make the game even better.
And harder.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This game is the best. This is already a very, VERY strong contender for my GOTY 2012.
I actually didn't expect much from this game when I first bought it. Then I got TOTALLY blown away by how much content there is and how cool and funny and beautiful everything is.
My god. This game.
THIS GAME.

Amen to that. Out of fucking nowhere for me too. I thought the original E3 trailer was cool and then it dropped off of my radar until a week before release and even then I had no idea I would enjoy it this much.

Amen to that. Out of fucking nowhere for me too. I thought the original E3 trailer was cool and then it dropped off of my radar until a week before release and even then I had no idea I would enjoy it this much.

That's almost exactly how it was for me.
It dropped off my radar until the last Nintendo Direct video feed. When I saw the footage of Sakurai explaining the multiplayer, I suddenly got this feeling of "I MUST HAVE THIS GAME" though I didn't know why.

This was well worth the 40€ I payed for (which was actually part of the money I saved up for buying an iPad 3, but who cares about that now!)

Top Bottom