• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

botty

Banned
I just finished the game as well. Man, did this game exceed my expectations.
My devotion and prayers belong to Viridi... sorry Palutena. I would actually love to replay the game except with Dark Pit and Viridi taking the place of Pit and Palutena.

I just finished the game as well. Man, did this game exceed my expectations. My devotion and prayers belong to Viridi... sorry Palutena. I would actually love to replay the game except with Dark Pit and Viridi taking the place of Pit and Palutena.

Wow come on man, spoiler tags please?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Is anyone else embarrassingly touched by Pit and Palutena's relationship?
When they reunite and Pit says something along the lines of "I missed you Lady Palutena!" I was like ;_;

I loved how the other character's reacted when
Pit sacrificed himself to save Pitoo. They all joke about Pit, but when his life was in danger they all got serious about trying to save him. It was kind of touching. :) And yes, the reunion between Pit and Palutena was nice as well.

SmithnCo

About the story-
I'm glad Dark Pit turned out to not really be your enemy. It would have been easy to just make him another antagonist but I liked his arc where he actually helps you a lot at the end.

can't you calculate the amount of idols with the % amount you receive using an egg?

for example you have 100 idols and your egg toss will give you a 50% probability which would mean there are 200 idols. of course you could just look it up.

What exactly did I spoil?

Dark Pit and Viridi taking the place of Pit and Palutena.

That's a crucial plot element as I haven't even encountered that2nd character yet. I stopped at Chapter 9 so I don't know when that character is introduced. I know it wasn't intentional, but usually with crucial plot or character introductions it's usually a bit spoilcentric.

Busaiku

Got them last week.

Everyone make sure to complain, when filling out the surveys, about the fact that US doesn't get any additional cards.

Neiteio

There is. ;)
Wait, are you for real? You know which form I'm talking about, right? (In other words, you checked the spoiler tag and didn't assume right?)
I mean Statue, not Pseduo.
So there's one of her as
a statue, on her knees after the Chaos Kin took her soul
? If so, AWESOME. I want to commission a sculpture of that for a garden, lol.

daakusedo

Beating a boss on limit, that's so hard I will have to take some low intensity.
Again, I seek some people for playing with less random players.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Gah, just blew around 100k I had been saving on a Value 325 Royal Blade with amazing stats and perks in the shop.

Then I start using it and realize the range is utter shit. :/

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Gah, just blew around 100k I had been saving on a Value 325 Royal Blade with amazing stats and perks in the shop.

Can't you fuse it?

I will be online for LvD sessions in about half an hour :)

Guys, seriously. Do yourself a favor. After you played a chapter the normal way, turn the volumes for SFX and voices ALL the way down to zero.
The timing for the music and what happens on the screen is perfect.

This doesn't apply to all chapters, but it's certainly worth checking out, if only to enjoy the music all by itself :)

But I'm serious. Play Chapter 2. At the part when the lightning strikes...the timing is PERFECT!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What I'd give for Smash Wii U/3DS to have a story driven campaign as lively, creative and tongue-in-cheek as Uprising. Brawl's was tripe.

botty

Banned
Dark Pit and Viridi taking the place of Pit and Palutena.

That's a crucial plot element as I haven't even encountered that2nd character yet. I stopped at Chapter 9 so I don't know when that character is introduced. I know it wasn't intentional, but usually with crucial plot or character introductions it's usually a bit spoilcentric.

This is just for you Trancetronic:
That never happens, it's just something I wish happened. Although, I should have covered Viridi's name. My bad!

What I'd give for Smash Wii U/3DS to have a story driven campaign as lively, creative and tongue-in-cheek as Uprising. Brawl's was tripe.

Now that Sakurai has done a script himself, he should feel secure enough to do one for Smash. And with VA this time.

Brandon F

I really wish you could test weapons in the shop out at the practice range.

Agreed. I have been in the habit of testing similar weapons before potential purchases, but I didn't have a lesser Royal Blade in my arsenal to try out and I just assumed, "oh what the hell, I have been fine using all the other blade types!"

Shoulda just fused a shitty Royal Blade to test before wasting all those hearts....

Surpisingly, despite having 5 Stars for Range and a massive list of charge shot perks, this particular royal blade does really lame damage too. Just so awkward given the Value and stats. Must be a Royal Blade thing...:(

KevinCow

Banned

Keep in mind that you can fuse it to get those stats and perks over to a weapon you actually like using. Sometimes I'll see a weapon in the shop that I don't ever really intend to use, but I'll buy it anyway because it has good stats that I can use to make better weapons.

Got them last week.

Everyone make sure to complain, when filling out the surveys, about the fact that US doesn't get any additional cards.

Will do! I was going to ask about booster packs and what not, but knowing NoA that'll probably just screw us over with promotional cards you can get only at an event over 9000 miles away from your home

I think it's clear at this point that it's not a lack of talent for that side of gameplay on Sakurai's part, but rather time and resource management.

SSE probably existed as it did because the focus was on filling Brawl with as much content as possible with the single-player done mostly outside of his involvement.

I can't imagine that situation will be very different with a new Smash game.

Netto-kun

Wait, are you for real? You know which form I'm talking about, right? (In other words, you checked the spoiler tag and didn't assume right?)
I mean Statue, not Pseduo.
So there's one of her as
a statue, on her knees after the Chaos Kin took her soul
? If so, AWESOME. I want to commission a sculpture of that for a garden, lol.
Yeah, and the idol is actually called
"Petrified Palutena" (I already have the regular and Pseudo-Palutena).

Neiteio

Those who want to unlock the idols for the commaners of the
Forces of Nature (Viridi, Cragalanche, Arlon and Phosphora)
can do so by scanning the cards at this link. I guess cards from Act II are hitting Japan.

Yeah, and the idol is actually called
"Petrified Palutena" (I already have the regular and Pseudo-Palutena).
FANTASTIC! Thanks. :)

Brawl's was a step in the right direction.
But I'm with you. Sakurai did an awesome job with this game's script.

But I don't know if it would fit as well in Smash.
Especially if you consider all the voice acting.
Just think about Link or Mr Game & Watch or any other character who appeared in any SSB game who doesn't actually talk or have a voice at all.
With Link it probably wouldn't be MUCH of a problem in Japanese. There was a radio drama and all, where Link talked (the drama used the same voice actors as Ocarina of Time, and it sounded pretty good, although I didn't understand one bit due to my lack of the Japanese language).
Finding a fitting English voice would be pretty problematic. Not to mention the uproar of all those Zelda fanboys and girls who would probably go totally crazy if Link suddenly talked.

So yeah. :(

Fantastical

Death Prophet
About the story-
I'm glad Dark Pit turned out to not really be your enemy. It would have been easy to just make him another antagonist but I liked his arc where he actually helps you a lot at the end.

Yep, it is refreshing to see Sakurai play on the traditional "dark" versions of Nintendo characters. Dark Pit just did what he wanted, but he wasn't really bad.

Brandon F

Also, man those Critical mode trophies are rough. Just tried to get the Hewdraw one on 5.0 difficulty. Entered battle and used the power to sacrifice all my life for stat boosts, took a hit to enter critical mode and of course I kill him just as my lifebar naturally refills. :/

Dunno if I want to beat my head going for those over and over, especially on longer stages. :/

Bentendo

If Sakurai writes the story I guarantee you it will be. Why the writer of Brawl tried to make it serious I have no clue. It's the silliest game in existence and should have an extremely silly story.

Inkwell

Banned
I just can't get used to the controls. Every time I try to play the game I feel like I'm playing incredibly sloppy. I feel like if the ground sections used a different control method for the stylus it would be much more tolerable. Maybe have the crosshair locked in the center of the screen, and have it be similar to mouse controls. Even a small area at the edge of the screen used for turning like in Metroid Prime Hunters would be better.

Maybe I missed something in the options menu that would make this a bit more tolerable, but all I saw was sensitivity/speed controls.

On the plus side, the terribly cheesy dialogue is much more charming and entertaining than I thought it would be. I thought it would be a situation like Other M. Even though I was playing that game by myself, I still felt incredibly embarrassed just having to be put through all of it.

Korosenai

I really wish you could test weapons in the shop out at the practice range.

I really wish you could test a weapon fuse out before you actually fuse it.

I've done numerous fuses where i've regretted the outcome and wish I had one of the original weapons back.

Neiteio

Brawl's was a step in the right direction.
But I'm with you. Sakurai did an awesome job with this game's script.

But I don't know if it would fit as well in Smash.
Especially if you consider all the voice acting.
Just think about Link or Mr Game & Watch or any other character who appeared in any SSB game who doesn't actually talk or have a voice at all.
With Link it probably wouldn't be MUCH of a problem in Japanese. There was a radio drama and all, where Link talked (the drama used the same voice actors as Ocarina of Time, and it sounded pretty good, although I didn't understand one bit due to my lack of the Japanese language).
Finding a fitting English voice would be pretty problematic. Not to mention the uproar of all those Zelda fanboys and girls who would probably go totally crazy if Link suddenly talked.

So yeah. :(

Link wouldn't have to talk. Neither would Mr. GAW. The game could even make jokes about the fact. Meanwhile, characters that traditionally have lots of "voice" like Fox, Captain Falcon and Mario can be chatterboxes. The game should use the "toys in a toybox" scenario hinted at in the first three Smash Bros. to break the fourth wall frequently about the fact they're videogame characters.

And while we're on the topic of Smash Bros... Nintendo should really put in a strong Uprising presence to help continue promoting this game. Nobody here will think this could happen -- everyone gets hung up on how much representation each series gets, like it's an exact science or something -- but I could picture them putting around SIX Kid Icarus characters in the next two Smashes, especially since the 3DS and WiiU versions are being made together and will as such likely share a larger cast.

Which six, though? Pit, of course, with Dark Pit as an alternate skin (with alternate voice and effects). So that's one character. Who else, though? Palutena, most definitely; she's the most likely character of ANY Nintendo character to appear in the next Smash, I'd say. But Medusa would also be great, having prominently been featured in the original and Uprising; imagine her Final Smash (see her "change" at the end of Chapter 9), and give her spells that petrify and physical attacks that make use of her snakes and staff.

So that's three characters. How about three more? Magnus is to Pit as Meta Knight is to Kirby, and since you encounter him
thrice in Uprising
and even
extensively play as him in Chapter 18
, he would be a good fit, not the least because he's the perfect foil to Pit (strong and masculine). Make his Final Smash
assistance from Dark Lord Gaol
and you have a winner.

I also think that
Viridi
and
Hades
would make amazing characters. From their design to the forces they command to all the powers they wield, there's tremendous moveset potential, and their importance to Uprising's plot and screentime in the game certainly makes them major players. Imagine
Viridi's
Final Smash unleashing a
Reset Bomb
, or
Hades'
Final Smash
swallowing the other players and attacking them with his hearts
. Rich, rich potential here. There could even be a "spam taunt" Easter egg like Snake's codec calls where these characters talk to each other when they're in the same match!

Is this expecting too much? You'll all say so, and I'm not saying it isn't; only that it's possible, and would serve Nintendo well. After all, even by that point in time there will be many gamers who haven't played Uprising, but after becoming fans of the characters in Smash, they will pick up the game.

farnham

Banned
This game is the best. This is already a very, VERY strong contender for my GOTY 2012.
I actually didn't expect much from this game when I first bought it. Then I got TOTALLY blown away by how much content there is and how cool and funny and beautiful everything is.
My god. This game.
THIS GAME.

THIS!!!
FUCKING!!!
GAME!!!

Now on to get all treasure chests, every weapon and beat all the Chapters on 9.0.

By the way, what was that talk about
an unlockable intensity level of 10.0?
Is that actually true? I hope it is. It would make the game even better.
And harder.

I feel the same way

i just bought it thinking

meh i will have to have a gain between fire emblem and resident evil

and it is my most favorite 3ds game by a long shot now.

Boogiepop

Grr... I can get a great Leo Cannon or a lower attack value but better (IE more bonuses) Midnight Palm of the same value out of my current Silver Bow. Either of those are situated at 276 value as opposed to my 265 Bow. I definitely want to keep going up the chain. Bleh, I really wish you could test out fusion weapons and also see what they can potentially fuse into.

SmithnCo

Those who want to unlock the idols for the commaners of the
Forces of Nature (Viridi, Cragalanche, Arlon and Phosphora)
can do so by scanning the cards at this link. I guess cards from Act II are hitting Japan.

My 3DS is having real trouble scanning these cards. It works fine on the tumblr page with the cards but I can barely scan anything on NWR.

Neiteio

My 3DS is having real trouble scanning these cards. It works fine on the tumblr page with the cards but I can barely scan anything on NWR.
Argh, just saw my typo on "commanders." Regardless...

Are you using a laptop? Once you click on the cards to expand them, try tilting your laptop screen forward or back. It might be the color contrast the way the card was scanned. I used the card to get
Cragalanche
(already had the others) and it worked. :)

After at least 20 stages of playing with claws and I just happen to have the sound off as I get claw dialog. -.-

All I remember is palutena saying that Pit's a penguin and all I have to say about that is.. How did she know!?

SmithnCo

Argh, just saw my typo on "commanders." Regardless...

Are you using a laptop? Once you click on the cards to expand them, try tilting your laptop screen forward or back. It might be the color contrast the way the card was scanned. I used the card to get
Cragalanche
(already had the others) and it worked. :)

Thanks, that works nicely.

zashga

I've still got a few missions to go in single player, but I gotta echo the sentiment that this game far exceeded my expectations. It's funny to look back at how small and simple the Kid Icarus universe was before this game. Sakurai treated this game more like a new IP than a retro revival, especially after
the first nine chapters
. Almost every character in Uprising is new, and even the few established characters like Pit and Palutena (or
Amazon Pandora
) have wildly different designs and characterization. The story is pretty excellent, too; some of these twists would make M. Night blush. All of that plus the excellent voice acting (easily the best that NOA has ever produced) makes this my favorite original game on the 3DS. Can't wait to see Sora's next project.

The worst thing about Uprising is that there's no OST CD. There's a ton of amazing music that only plays once or twice in the game, and I haven't even come close to unlocking all of it in sound test mode.

MooMoo

I'm only at chapter 10, but I've spent quite a time with playing at higher difficulty levels, amassing weapons, and fusing weapons. There's so much content in this game, but here are the top three things, in no particular order, that I dislike it:

1. Difficulty level getting turned down a notch after dying. This is especially annoying with OHKO enemies and those dumb sections where you can fall off platforms. I should have a choice as to whether or not I want the difficulty turned down a notch. If they wanted to keep the balance of obtaining hearts, then they can still deduct hearts if I choose to not drop down a difficulty level-- just deduct less hearts for doing so. This really irritated me on Chapter 9, where I was kicking butt but I kept on dying from (enemy spoilers I guess?)
that guy in the purple haze, the big ogre smashing guy, and tempura wizard. Sorry, I don't know their names haha :p

2. Audio balance. Maybe I should mess around with the audio settings, but I think there's a really bad balance of sound effects, music, and character talk. I think it's more evident to me because I'm trying to play through the game at as a high of a difficulty level as possible. This means that my attention has to somehow be divided between the crazy action and the constant chitchat of Pit/Paluenta. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the music or dialog is bad. But all things considered, at higher difficulty levels there's a LOT of action/sounds occurring and I find it extremely overwhelming at times.

3. Controls. I wouldn't say they're bad; I got used to them instantly. But given the ergonomics of the system, I find that it's hard to want to play more than one chapter at a time just because my hand starts cramping after a while.

There are a few other nitpicks I have. These aren't really game-breaking or anything, but personal issues:

1. I wish that the weapon stars/weapon stats were a little more clearer as to what they actually mean.

2. The ability use is kinda wonky. Maybe I haven't hit the point yet, but it'd be cool if the space expanded, even if it only happened once. As an aside, I think it'd be nice if I picked up an item, lets say an x-bomb, and was able to save it for later use in the stage rather than having to immediately use it. I do like the concept of it though; I loved how it worked in KH: 358/2.

3. I wish I had to option to select a different weapon for the ground sections.

4. Weapon fusing is awesome, but I think it could have been a little more in depth to it. Maybe work some mechanic to be able to choose which stats can be carried over. As an aside, it'd be cool if I could maybe try out a weapon before finalizing the fusion.

Otherwise, this game is jampacked with content. The dialog definitely walks the line of quirky fun and terribly cheesy but overall I like it. I think the music and graphics are very impressive; you can definitely see the high quality of the production values. Really glad I decided to give this game a shot. And while I don't think this game is nearly as perfect as people claim it to be, it's definitely a fun and solid game all around. It's pretty much oozing with charm and you can tell the developers had fun making this game.

Just ordered it for pickup from Best Buy. This better be good or so help me... I have no idea how I'll finish that sentence. I'm just glad that it seems to be completely different from the original other than characters. The original game was just SO bad (and the GB version even worse... I regrettably owned it), but I do like the characters themselves.

Inkwell

Banned
That's not how Hunters controlled at all.

I worded that poorly. I meant something similar to Hunters, but with a much smaller turning area around the outside of the screen. Hunters used most of the screen for turning except a small box in the center right? Or maybe I'm thinking more of Prime 3. Haven't played Hunters in a while. Even the exact system used in hunters would have been better though.

Top Bottom