• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Busaiku

that guy in the purple haze, the big ogre smashing guy, and tempura wizard. Sorry, I don't know their names haha :p
Clobberskull isn't an instant kill enemy (just super strong), and the other 2 are meant to get you to do stuff like dodge or utilize the space.

Izayoi

Banned
I seriously question their sanity.
Really? How old are you?

What's the hook to this game anyway? Grinding loot?
Multiplayer, getting high scores/upping the intensity on additional playthroughs, and (spoiler for something after you beat the game)
boss rush mode

Do you guys play this game with 3D off or on?
3D max at all times, no matter the intensity and in multiplayer.

I just finished the game as well. Man, did this game exceed my expectations.
My devotion and prayers belong to Viridi... sorry Palutena. I would actually love to replay the game except with Dark Pit and Viridi taking the place of Pit and Palutena.
My man. She is definitely
the best goddess

Wow come on man, spoiler tags please?
You quoted him and didn't spoiler tag his post either, you're just as bad.

After at least 20 stages of playing with claws and I just happen to have the sound off as I get claw dialog. -.-
Blasphemy!

Anyone else get a slight Subspace Emissary vibe when playing the campaign? It helps even more so that the first stage you explore in that mode was Skyworld. Hell even some of the enemies(the new original ones) look like they came from that game.

Holy shit, I just noticed that the Underworld Gatekeeper has the triforce symbol.

210px-Triforce.svg.png

OMG Aero

But Kirby was clearly the star of Brawl's.
The star of Subspace Emissary was Sonic because he shows up right at the end to save the day.

And then since that is the first time you get to play as him, promptly wiped out by Tabuu while you figure out how to control him and you have to use your next character.

SmithnCo

Anyone else get a slight Subspace Emissary vibe when playing the campaign? It helps even more so that the first stage you explore in that mode was Skyworld. Hell even some of the enemies(the new original ones) look like they came from that game.

They do look like SSE enemies. I like them more here though, in Brawl I would've preferred that they took enemies from other series.

The story is way better than SSE though, Sakurai should just do a story mode for Brawl that is like this, but shorter than SSE. Then I might actually replay it. After playing this I don't think he needs a dedicated writer for the story, just make one that blends seriousness with silliness like Uprising.

Izayoi

Banned
1. Difficulty level getting turned down a notch after dying. This is especially annoying with OHKO enemies and those dumb sections where you can fall off platforms. I should have a choice as to whether or not I want the difficulty turned down a notch. If they wanted to keep the balance of obtaining hearts, then they can still deduct hearts if I choose to not drop down a difficulty level-- just deduct less hearts for doing so. This really irritated me on Chapter 9, where I was kicking butt but I kept on dying from (enemy spoilers I guess?)
that guy in the purple haze, the big ogre smashing guy, and tempura wizard. Sorry, I don't know their names haha :p
The whole idea is risk/reward. If you could just throw your body at it until you managed to beat everything on 9.0, even if it meant just killing one enemy at a time and then dying, what would be the point?

2. Audio balance. Maybe I should mess around with the audio settings, but I think there's a really bad balance of sound effects, music, and character talk. I think it's more evident to me because I'm trying to play through the game at as a high of a difficulty level as possible. This means that my attention has to somehow be divided between the crazy action and the constant chitchat of Pit/Paluenta. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the music or dialog is bad. But all things considered, at higher difficulty levels there's a LOT of action/sounds occurring and I find it extremely overwhelming at times.
You can individually adjust (and even mute) OST, SFX, and VA.

1. I wish that the weapon stars/weapon stats were a little more clearer as to what they actually mean.
http://www.abload.de/img/1333157549589rgkd7.jpg

SmithnCo

Along with trying out weapons in the shop/fusing menu, another thing I would've liked/would like to see in a potential sequel:

A bank for items that you want to make sure you don't fuse/don't want to show up on your fusing screen. It would make fusing/your inventory more organized and make sure you don't accidentally fuse a weapon you don't want to.

Korosenai

Along with trying out weapons in the shop/fusing menu, another thing I would've liked/would like to see in a potential sequel:

A bank for items that you want to make sure you don't fuse/don't want to show up on your fusing screen. It would make fusing/your inventory more organized and make sure you don't accidentally fuse a weapon you don't want to.

That's a good idea.

Something i'd like to see in a sequel is a more organized category section. When fusing weapons, I like looking for a certain type of weapon so I use the category option. Well what sucks about it is how there's groups of each weapon spread out everywhere. I'd like to be able to go into the fuse weapon screen and see nothing but palms or nothing but clubs.

KevinCow

Banned
Wait, what the hell.

Cannon + Club is supposed to give me Orbitars. So why does Rail Cannon + Ogre Club give me Dark Pit Staff?

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Opinions requested.

2012-03-31_16-05-01_5kuke3.jpg

It's lacking in the stars, but those traits are almost godly for the way I play. For now, it's my go-to weapon for online. The range on its charged shot is ridiculous (125 meters), and having it home in on enemies across the map is hilarious. I'm considering fusing it to get a good Palm, but I've yet to see a result that I wanted. Getting the best traits to transfer onto something with a high ranged value is difficult.

What would be some good powers to use with this club? I'm currently rolling with Explosive Flame, Meteor Shower, Lightweight, Counter, and Shake Attack (needed something to fill in the hole). In Free-for-All, I love to target clumps of enemies and make quick work of them, but I have trouble dealing with fast melee attacks, especially Claws. Is there a power out there that could handle them, or do I just need to get better at the game?

I have a question regarding bosses in general in that I feel like there are some that have attacks that are impossible to dodge. For instance:
I just fought the mech suit (in chapter 23?) and there was a rushing attack that, as far as I'm concerned, is unavoidable. It comes in so suddenly and so quickly that a regular dash left or right is insufficient to avoiding it. What am I missing? There are other instances of this that I can't quite recall.

I'm using a Dark Pit Staff, if that helps.

mu-chan

Neo Member
The Idol Toss just gives you what are basically just in-game models to look at, right?

Yes, but one nice bonus is the written description of the model, which, at worst, is funny and informative, and, at best, tells you unique characteristics of weapons or items.

SmithnCo

So, by using Heart Booster level 4 (5 uses) and Heart Bonus +1, I'm able to get 20,000 hearts from level one difficulty 9.0.

Doing basically the same thing with Heart Bonus +3 has yielded 26,000 hearts. I imagine with Heart Bonus +4 (if it exists, I don't think I've really seen it yet) I would be able to get 30,000 hearts just on that level.

Also just got the
Petrified Palutena idol by getting over 1,000,000 hearts

ImLibo

Just finished chapter
Been playing with the stand after finishing the first few chapters without it,Maybe it's just me but it totally makes a difference.

Been obsessed with clearing the early levels on the highest difficulty and it pays off when you get those nice weapons with good abilities. It makes flying such a breeze. I especially like the cannon like weapon being able to instant kill enemies with one hit in flight mode, but terrible with tall bosses (due to reach).
The addictive nature of replaying levels makes it difficult for me to continue story mode :p!

I am wondering has anyone bothered to do the no-hit achievement on one of the chapters? It feels like crazy! I ended up using the 3d less when im being competitive as I find it more distracting due to the fact that my eyes lose focus easily if stressed.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I have a question regarding bosses in general in that I feel like there are some that have attacks that are impossible to dodge. For instance:
I just fought the mech suit (in chapter 23?) and there was a rushing attack that, as far as I'm concerned, is unavoidable. It comes in so suddenly and so quickly that a regular dash left or right is insufficient to avoiding it. What am I missing? There are other instances of this that I can't quite recall.

I don't recall exactly, but the heavy lean towards trial and error encounter design, particularly in understanding and adapting to enemy attacks, is one area I've never agreed on with Sakurai's work. It was very common with Brawl's campaign enemy desire and it's the same here. Some might like it, but I feel he has a lot to learn in those areas.

Though in many ways I guess it's reminiscent of the wild, reckless battles going way back to Kirby.

OmegaZero

I found dashing toward the enemy to be helpful in situations like those.
I'm pretty sure I've dodged the attack you're referring to.
Is it the one where it covers itself in an aura and suddenly charges
?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This thread has so many pages, in such few days. Out of nowhere, this is becoming really massive. I love it seeing getting this recognition at least here on Gaf.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
1WWJ6l.jpg

Thoughts?

Stars seem ok(though are claws more useful in melee?). Perks are kinda situational though. Top two are pretty useful, but the rest...do you often abuse powers and items during play?

I'm mostly thinking in terms of campaign I think, to which I would be apprehensive. In MP though, maybe this could be great?

Got my copy today. Very fun and the music and dialog is also great. But the controls will take some getting used to. Any suggestions on control changes?

Bentendo

I just spent 250 play coins on the idol toss. I was wondering though: how exactly do you get more eggs WITHOUT spending play coins. I know after playing awhile I have more eggs but I was just curious was I have to do exactly to get them.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I would say this is as good an indication as any that that's going to carry over into the new Smash games.

I hope so. The fourth wall breaking and self awareness of Uprising is what expected from Brawl. It was such a missed opportunity. An orchestra of franchises at their disposal, yet far too little use of the IPs themselves.

BD1

Banned
Has anyone gotten their KI 3D Classics download code? I thought Amazon was sending them out within 2 days of launch, but I have not gotten one...

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Looking back, I'm shocked there wasn't a rainy segment during one of the chapters. Flying through that in 3D would have been just wow

Has anyone gotten their KI 3D Classics download code? I thought Amazon was sending them out within 2 days of launch, but I have not gotten one...
Did you preorder? I noticed they removed mention of the 3D Classic from its page right after the price-matching dealio on launch day.

KevinCow

Banned
Opinions requested.

2012-03-31_16-05-01_5kuke3.jpg

It's lacking in the stars, but those traits are almost godly for the way I play. For now, it's my go-to weapon for online. The range on its charged shot is ridiculous (125 meters), and having it home in on enemies across the map is hilarious. I'm considering fusing it to get a good Palm, but I've yet to see a result that I wanted. Getting the best traits to transfer onto something with a high ranged value is difficult.

What would be some good powers to use with this club? I'm currently rolling with Explosive Flame, Meteor Shower, Lightweight, Counter, and Shake Attack (needed something to fill in the hole). In Free-for-All, I love to target clumps of enemies and make quick work of them, but I have trouble dealing with fast melee attacks, especially Claws. Is there a power out there that could handle them, or do I just need to get better at the game?

Super Armor, maybe? Throw that on when a Claw gets up close. You'll still take some damage from his hits, but he won't interrupt your swings.

OmegaZero

I just spent 250 play coins on the idol toss. I was wondering though: how exactly do you get more eggs WITHOUT spending play coins. I know after playing awhile I have more eggs but I was just curious was I have to do exactly to get them.

Play through Solo chapters. The higher the difficulty, the more eggs per playthrough.

Top Bottom