• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

KevinCow

Banned
Play through Solo chapters. The higher the difficulty, the more eggs per playthrough.

You also get eggs for playing multiplayer. Just play the game and it gives you eggs.

And I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I think if you play enough to fill up the 5 egg slots, it'll start upgrading them to better eggs. There's the default white, but I've also seen green, blue, and red eggs, which seem to have progressively better chances at getting a new idol.

Boogiepop

Fusing together things is crazy. I've stopped paying attention to stars and began focusing on abilities and general value, and now by fusing most of my stuff together I've got a good number in the 270 range with some cool abilities. Hopefully once I get some more fodder I'll be able to eventually reach the 300 range.

What's the highest value anyone in here has managed, anyway?

OmegaZero

Fusing together things is crazy. I've stopped paying attention to stars and began focusing on abilities and general value, and now by fusing most of my stuff together I've got a good number in the 270 range with some cool abilities. Hopefully once I get some more fodder I'll be able to eventually reach the 300 range.

What's the highest value anyone in here has managed, anyway?

A level 378 Laser Staff from Chapter
on 9.0.
I don't have the game with me at the moment, but it had 6 melee stars, 4 and a half ranged stars, and every power-up slot filled.

You get them by playing online as well.

You also get eggs for playing multiplayer. Just play the game and it gives you eggs.

And I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I think if you play enough to fill up the 5 egg slots, it'll start upgrading them to better eggs. There's the default white, but I've also seen green, blue, and red eggs, which seem to have progressively better chances at getting a new idol.

Oh, that explains stuff. I don't play online much since I'm trying to make a good multiplayer weapon.

OmegaZero

Holy shit. So I guess playing online is a slaughterfest.

Yeah, I tried it once and its side-dashing charged shot can kill people in two shots, with one shot taking almost 4/5ths of their health.
When I died, I took almost one half of the team's meter though. :/

Bullza2o

good to see you guys hitting 300 values on weapons I cannot wait to earn one

I'm a bit hesitant to use 300 value weapons, because it would drain the meter faster in LvD. Right now I'm perfectly fine with my main 278-valued raptor claws with 4.5/4.5 stars getting 4-6 kills a game. My secondary is a 298 samurai blade, but I'm still a bit hesitant to use it.

I guess time will tell when people start to get better weapons and better at playing overall.

OmegaZero

I'm a bit hesitant to use 300 value weapons, because it would drain the meter faster in LvD. Right now I'm perfectly fine with my main 278-valued raptor claws with 4.5/4.5 stars getting 4-6 kills a game. My secondary is a 298 samurai blade, but I'm still a bit hesitant to use it.

I guess time will tell when people start to get better weapons and better at playing overall.

Honestly, I don't think using 300+ weapons is worth it.
You will die eventually, and if your weapon is high enough, you could give the opposing team a huge lead. Of course, the flip side is that you could devastate the opposing team's health bar, but there are a ton of things happening in each match, so the chances of dying are very likely.

Ideally, a good multiplayer weapon for me would be less then 300, with six stars in each catagory and a multitude of powers augmenting the weapon's dashing charge shots, defense, immobilizing ability (freeze, petrification, ect), movement speed and dodging (in-peril autododge, for example).

Of course, using 300+ weapons is highly recommended for beating Chapters on 9.0.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Haha, just got 11 kills in a FFA match and ended up with 2350 points. My reward: frickin Fairy Orbiters.

LvD matches still give me some trouble, but I probably need to pick a different power setup.

Super Armor, maybe? Throw that on when a Claw gets up close. You'll still take some damage from his hits, but he won't interrupt your swings.

That seems to be working. If anything, it's a great "oh shit" button. I wish I had the Lv.2 version, but my Lv.1 version is doing fine enough.

mAcOdIn

Has anyone gotten their KI 3D Classics download code? I thought Amazon was sending them out within 2 days of launch, but I have not gotten one...
If you pre-ordered I would email them, I actually received my code at 0330 on the 23rd and less than 24 hours after they shipped my copy, so if you pre-ordered and for some reason did not receive your code they either borked something or it got caught in your spam filter or something.

Guess I might as well use this time to talk about the game. Anyways the game, yes, love it. It's pretty good. I'm about to start the 7th chapter and the characters are all real fun.

That said, this game is absolutely a fucking pain in the ass to play. From the circle pad not being the most precise method of movement in the world making any platforming a pain in the ass, to the size of the screen being so small that it's difficult to make out enemies, the stylus being an absolute pain in the ass regardless of being the best method available, to the stand being too short making my hand feel caught between the table and the system, I just can't actually get any damn enjoyment out of the thing. I can't really play it for more than 5 minutes or so at a time, not out of any kind of time restraints on my part but because every facet of playing the game is physically painful. While the 3D in the game was well done and the best I'd seen in any game I found it also gave me headaches which others do not.

It's really a shame because I think the game is actually really good but feel like it being on the 3DS has made it almost a chore to play. Man I wish this had been put on the Wii or they held off until the Wii-U or something. It's not really the game's fault but the 3DS itself, it just doesn't fit my hands well at all, the left shoulder and circle pad are so close that trying to grip the system in a way that I can even use both at the same time is already painful then trying to use the stylus with the other, yeah, not liking it. If the screen was a tad larger I could maybe relax my hold a bit and rest it on something changing my grip slightly but the stand is out as an option due to it's miniscule height or if they redesigned the system and changed either the shape of the shoulder buttons or the placement of the circle pad I could hold it better but as it is it just hurts to play.

Being that that's the case I don't really know if ultimately I actually can say the game is good or not for me. It shouldn't hurt to play a game, in a way I'm tempted to straight up give the game a damn zero. But the game's definitely not a zero it's like an eight. But, I mean, they totally chose the way the game would play when designing it and knew so much that many people would find it physically uncomfortable to play to the point they bundled a damn stand so maybe it should get a zero? I mean, if one absolutely HAD to make this game for the 3DS I don't think it could have controlled better than it does know but I have to ask why the hell it had to be on this platform in the first place. I know the answer's probably business, the Wii's on the way out, the 3DS needs a big game, the Wii-U's far out, but I feel the game really suffers for that decision.

I just honestly don't know how to feel about this game, never has the actual platform itself been such a hindrance to my enjoyment of something as this title right here and I don't know how to express that, where I should find fault, if there's any fault at all or what.

Busaiku

If there are any, I haven't noticed.
I think your defense is lowered a bit, but then again, it's hard to tell in the chaos of FFA.

You have less health (supposedly, I'm not sure of this though) and lose more points when you die (this I know).
Oh and yeah, your killer gets more points too.

I found dashing toward the enemy to be helpful in situations like those.
I'm pretty sure I've dodged the attack you're referring to.
Is it the one where it covers itself in an aura and suddenly charges
?

That's the one. I swear it's physically impossible with the weapon I'm using, which doesn't seem right.

OmegaZero

You have less health (supposedly, I'm not sure of this though) and lose more points when you die (this I know).
Oh and yeah, your killer gets more points too.

Ah okay. I'll keep that in mind.

That's the one. I swear it's physically impossible with the weapon I'm using, which doesn't seem right.

Yeah, just try dodging toward it maybe half a second before it hit you. You'll eventually get the timing down (be sure to rotate the camera to see it afterward).

Wow congrats! There is no telling how many times i have tried to beat chapter on 2 on 9.0 just to die at the boss.

For some reason, that boss is one of the hardest for me to 9.0 so far. Constantly dodging and using a plethora of annoying, damaging attacks.

Yesss! Made my best online score so far with it, I waited for my opponents to enter a small corridor and Baaaam :)

I love this game!

Yeah, it's great how there's a weapon to suit any play style. I'm a Staff person, but also love using Clubs.

kSt

The best I have so far. Combined with Fast Recharge, Tirelessness and "keep distance" tactics it can bring some trouble to enemies.
DYxUl.jpg

Jintor

I honestly don't think high values weapons are all that detrimental in LvD or FFA, if you play intelligently. They only really kick in if you die, after all.

Boogiepop

Anyone mind helping me out by telling me the chapters a few Zodiac Chambers are in? I want to find them myself as I have with all the others, but I'd at least like to narrow it down so I'm hunting through the proper chapters. I need the chapters for: Aries and Gemini.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Anyone mind helping me out by telling me the chapters a few Zodiac Chambers are in? I want to find them myself as I have with all the others, but I'd at least like to narrow it down so I'm hunting through the proper chapters. I need the chapters for: Aries and Gemini.

Gemini:
Aries:

(Spoilered for others wanting to stay in the dark.)

MooMoo

Clobberskull isn't an instant kill enemy (just super strong), and the other 2 are meant to get you to do stuff like dodge or utilize the space.
Yeah. But I was having a stupidly hard time dodging his attacks. I'd dodge his first attack but I kept my reticle on him, so I'd end up closing in for a melee dash attack and he'd start up his next attack. I'll admit it's my fault for dying against him so many times, but it was frustrating nonetheless.

The whole idea is risk/reward. If you could just throw your body at it until you managed to beat everything on 9.0, even if it meant just killing one enemy at a time and then dying, what would be the point?

You can individually adjust (and even mute) OST, SFX, and VA.

http://www.abload.de/img/1333157549589rgkd7.jpg
I'll just agree to disagree. I would have liked a system where I could still retry at the same intensity level, even if it meant more heart reductions or something along the lines of that. I'm not really frustrated if I die in a reasonable way because I take the hint that I need to just practice the level more/not be so cocky with my attacks, but moreso when I die for a really dumb reason. As an example, (enemy spoiler for chapter 9)
Tempura Wizard pretty much killed me before Palutena told me that being turned into a shrimp and eaten was a OHKO. And if Eggplant Wizard happens to have the same OHKO property and you're thinking "You could have deduced that Tempura Wizard would have the same type of attack," I'll just say now that I can't remember if Eggplant Wizard has the same OHKO attack, mostly because I've never actually been turned into an eggplant and I can't really recall Palutena's dialog pertaining to Eggplant Wizard. Granted, a death from Tempura Wizard only leads to a -0.5 intensity reduction, so I wasn't too mad with that.
Anyways, like I said in my original post, this is just a personal nitpick. If I were a reviewer, I wouldn't hold the current intensity level system accountable for such a thing because it's solid as it is.

As for audio, I know you can adjust everything individually but I feel like audio balance is one of the things that shouldn't require the user to adjust. I'll just assume this is just a me-only issue but at default, I still think the game is audibly hectic.

Thanks for the link! To be honest, at the rate I'm going I'll probably never reach the end of the game :3 I'm sort of torn between retrying past chapters at higher intensity levels and moving forward with the game.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I honestly don't think high values weapons are all that detrimental in LvD or FFA, if you play intelligently. They only really kick in if you die, after all.

You definitely have to be more careful with melee focused weapons, but weapons with a good range on them can be pretty ridiculous.

OmegaZero

Just beat the final chapter at 9.0 and
listened to that little speech from Hades during The End screen. Hilarious stuff.

nah I want 300+ so I can play higher intensity solo

Dr.Hadji

Transparency + Lvl. 4 Spite + Stealth Claws = THE BEST!! Nothing better than opening a match and killing three people in one blast in under 10 seconds.

Zomba13

So I've been playing more today, been feeling better around the afternoon. I just got done with Chapter 9. Really do like this game. Only thing I really don't like is the controls, and it's not so much the controls exactly, but the buttons. I really do HATE the 3DS shoulder buttons. I find them awkward to press. It would have been awesome if I could plop the 3DS in the CPP and use the left trigger to attack while keeping the other controls the same. I was impressed to see you could pretty much redefine every button except for the CPP buttons.
I've gotten used to the controls but it's still awkward with the L button. Also, I dislike tap to dash/dodge. It's messed me up a few times (dodging/dashing into danger/pits when I just want to move in that direction a bit).

Transparency + Lvl. 4 Spite + Stealth Claws = THE BEST!! Nothing better than opening a match and killing three people in one blast in under 10 seconds.

I love Spiting people when I'm at low health, just to deny them the kill. I sometimes use it in conjuctuon with Play Dead, just to confuse my enemies to death.

You earn 7 000 000 000 respect points for you avatar, by the way. We should hang out sometime.

OmegaZero

No, I will just skip this for now.

Also, I use level 327 Standard Orbitars with 6 stars in the range category for almost every 9.0 Chapter.
Backdashed charge shots tend to 4 or 5-hit-kill bosses, but the rapid fire is powerful enough to handle most enemies in seconds.

It would have been awesome if I could plop the 3DS in the CPP and use the left trigger to attack while keeping the other controls the same. I was impressed to see you could pretty much redefine every button except for the CPP buttons.

I have some great news for you.
Just switch the R and L button functions to switch the RZ and LZ functions.
By changing R to attack, the CPP sets LZ to Attack.

The Hermit

Me: Man this game is great, fantastic graphics, I got the handle of the controls, a lot of secrets and a nice soundtrack... I will play it later with headphones, so I can hear it better:

50514_270892882252_8051839_n.jpg

bitoriginal

Played this for 5 hours straight. Game is fuckin' unreal. Just gets better and better. The fusion/power up system keeps the game feeling constantly fresh.

Top Bottom