• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Luigiv

I don't know if it's been said in this thread already, but I like the fact that the constant lampshading of video game tropes in this game already kind of starts with the games pack shot:

American Pit is hardcore!
More like Japanese Pit is psychopathic and American Pit is just serious.

Jintor

Beam claws and Magnus Clubs are the only weapons for me! Now just to figure out how to get these damn buffs on them...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Magnus' Theme might be my favourite track on the OST. The choir melody is so lovely.

GWX

Magnus' Theme might be my favourite track on the OST. The choir melody is so lovely.

I haven't played the game yet (will get sometime in the upcoming weeks), but I have been listening to this track since it was posted on the japanese Kid Icarus Uprising website and it's really catchy. My favorite so far, though I only listened to the songs on the website.

SmithnCo

I'm fond of Dark Pit's theme and Boss Fight 1 (possibly because it reminds me of the E3 reveal).

I highly suggest that after everyone finishes the game you turn off dialogue for another playthrough, you really get a better appreciation for the music and how it is perfectly timed with the levels.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I really really like the track that plays
during the on-foot section of chapter 15
. I dont know what its called or how to unlock it though

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I don't know if it's been said in this thread already, but I like the fact that the constant lampshading of video game tropes in this game already kind of starts with the games pack shot:

American Pit is hardcore!

That's simply the extension of the American Kirby is mad meme.

onilink88

Fuck me, I managed to clear chapters one and two on the ninth intensity by the skin of my teeth with my best weapon (Somewhat staff, five star melee and range, overall defense +1, burning +1, health +1 and backward-dash ch. shot +1, valued at 294), and it doesn't feel strong enough. And it was the culmination of twenty-four hours grinding and countless fuses. It's just so discouraging and frustrating...

Poyunch

I've accepted that Nintendo would make Pit angry looking but removing the pink sucks. It looks so pretty in the Japanese boxart.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Fuck me, I managed to clear chapters one and two on the ninth intensity by the skin of my teeth with my best weapon (Somewhat staff, five star melee and range, overall defense +1, burning +1, health +1 and backward-dash ch. shot +1, valued at 294), and it doesn't feel strong enough. And it was the culmination of twenty-four hours grinding and countless fuses. It's just so discouraging and frustrating...
Switch weapons. We can't all be pimp staff users

Some of us are just born with it

Doorman

I'm left-handed and would love to know how are you lefties doing with the game. In my experience, the controls are extremely annoying. With the frankenstick, I get to aim perfectly but movement is stupid (because we never get to move characters with right sticks, only camera, and I can't adjust to that). Without it, movement is perfect but aim is extremely poor (because I'm a leftie).

So... I can't find a way to actually have fun with the game. It's annoying either way, and nothing seems to fix my issue. But I'm interested in how other lefties are playing it.

Yeah...realizing that I would probably have no hope of moving Pit himself around using a right pad, I've been opting so far to just basically force righty controls. To that extent I haven't really had much problem as far as aiming goes, the bigger issue with me is just finding a way to play that's actually comfortable and doesn't horribly cramp my left hand and thumb. My best solution so far: I actually borrowed the "thumb-shoe" strap from my old DS and wear that on my right thumb while I play, using that to control aiming and also allowing my right hand to help support most of the system's weight. Yes I've probably lost a little bit of aiming precision with this method and spinning the camera to the left is a bit harder than spinning it right, but for me it's worth it for the increase in overall playability.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
One of the most beautiful looking games I've seen in years.

Don't really have an issue with the controls either, although I can see how the learning curve on the on-foot parts could be off-putting for some.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I've tried, and the bows seem to be the other weapon I'm comfortable with. Guess I have to face facts and accept I just suck at the game. :(
Try breeding a bow with high evasion, in-peril autododge, and/or speed modifier. You'll probably want to make sure you prioritize the ranged stat as well. Do eet

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I know this game is super hyped right now, but it's been one of my favorite game experiences in a long time.

It has a very good feel about it, very refreshing as well.

Love the level of polish, and you can see how it was designed to get the most out of 3D as well. It really adds to the whole experience.

NeoRausch

Yo GAF, i need your help.

i somehow haven't unlocked some fusions. So how do i unlock fusions for:

cannon + bow
blade + staff
claw + cannon
staff + orbitars
orbitars + orbitars
???

so many Xs on ma fusion screen, yelp!

SmithnCo

Yo GAF, i need your help.

i somehow haven't unlocked some fusions. So how do i unlock fusions for:

cannon + bow
blade + staff
claw + cannon
staff + orbitars
orbitars + orbitars
???

so many Xs on ma fusion screen, yelp!

The fusions are based on specific weapons, not just weapon types. So you need to get the specific weapon before you can fuse it. I think it would be useful to have a guide for how to unlock all the weapons for fusing.

I only know that in
even-numbered levels, there are warps where you can get new weapons.
But I want to know what other challenges unlock weapons.

The fusions are based on specific weapons, not just weapon types. So you need to get the specific weapon before you can fuse it. I think it would be useful to have a guide for how to unlock all the weapons for fusing.

I only know that in

Actually,
Chapter 22 doesn't have one (it's in 23 instead), and the chambers in 14, 18 and 24 contain useful powers instead of weapons.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I know this game is super hyped right now, but it's been one of my favorite game experiences in a long time.

That's how I feel right now, and unlike some other games, I feel that Kid Icarus will only get better and better even after the "hype" period because all the depth and amount of content it has.

Truly a fantastic game.

SmithnCo

Actually,
Chapter 22 doesn't have one (it's in 23 instead), and the chambers in 14, 18 and 24 contain useful powers instead of weapons.

Are there other challenges that unlock weapons or are they just in levels? I think I got most of the level ones but my fusion screen still has a good amount of Xs.

NeoRausch

I only know that in
Thanks for the info! Gonna look into some faqs.

McNum

I've mostly been ignoring this game, but some of the ponygaffers said to check it out, so...

Is this game as good as you're all making it sound? I'm not sure I quite get how it plays, but from what I can tell, it's like if Sin and Punishment had loot? Or, am I wrong about that?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I hope the English cast is a sign of things to come from Nintendo. There's a lot of big (for gaming/animation) names in there. Lots of people with proven talent.

Busaiku

Ok, so for some reason, I cannot get the Gold for Chapter 5.
I've gone through the Level 8 door, I went through everywhere I thought I could, what am I missing?!

SmithnCo

I've mostly been ignoring this game, but some of the ponygaffers said to check it out, so...

Is this game as good as you're all making it sound? I'm not sure I quite get how it plays, but from what I can tell, it's like if Sin and Punishment had loot? Or, am I wrong about that?

The sky sections are very similar to sin and punishment. The other half has free-roaming gameplay with a lot of shooting. And the loot aspect is amazing.

It's part Sin and Punishment
Part Smash Brothers
Part Loot Whore

All amazing.

botty

Banned
Oh wow, I wonder if the literal "on rails" shooting is supposed to be some type of meta-self reference. This game is amazing.

Ok, so for some reason, I cannot get the Gold for Chapter 5.
I've gone through the Level 8 door, I went through everywhere I thought I could, what am I missing?!

Only thing that got me there was this.

When you first start in the driving circle thing did you go off that little ramp and get the chest?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I hope the English cast is a sign of things to come from Nintendo. There's a lot of big (for gaming/animation) names in there. Lots of people with proven talent.

Yeah, it's leagues above Metroid: Other M in terms of acting. Perhaps Nintendo learned a lot from that experience.

McNum

Part Smash Bros.? I don't see that, but I do like Smash and Sin and Punishment. Never really been a big fan of loot. I have absolutely terrible loot luck in any game with random drops.

The game does look like a bit of manic fun, though. And it seems to have an odd sense of humor.

Neiteio

Currently jamming to this theme (post-Chapter 9 spoilers): LINK.

Also, eyeing that Fusion chart, I'm excited to replay the
Aurum
levels under the various conditions to unlock those weapons.

As a side note: Last night, I tossed an idol egg and got a diorama for the
Reset Bomb Depot
. Looks like Gusty Garden in Super Mario Galaxy. :)

It's Smash Bros-esque in the menu design and range of collectibles and options available, not so much with gameplay.

I think there are elements of Smash in here, at least in terms of controls and feel.

For one thing, dashing is handled the same way it is in Smash. Beyond that, there's also the aspect of using item pickups to your advantage, and just the general level of craziness and high intensity of the battles.

Neiteio

The Smash Bros. spirit is strong with this one, from using the equivalent of "smash attacks" to dash (which often makes stronger shots) and the dodging, which functions just like SSB with invincibility frames.

Top Bottom