• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

SmithnCo

Currently jamming to this theme (post-Chapter 9 spoilers): LINK.

Also, eyeing that Fusion chart, I'm excited to replay the
Aurum
levels under the various conditions to unlock those weapons.

As a side note: Last night, I tossed an idol egg and got a diorama for the
Reset Bomb Depot
. Looks like Gusty Garden in Super Mario Galaxy. :)

I'm listening to this theme (spoilers). Probably one of my favorites. I'd buy an OST in an instant.

I hope the English cast is a sign of things to come from Nintendo. There's a lot of big (for gaming/animation) names in there. Lots of people with proven talent.

It was similar for Xenoblade; the cast was made up of various up and comers and reasonable sized names from British TV, with a sprinkling of soap actors in there. One of the voices from that game has just been cast as the new Doctor Who companion, and other fairly prominent guys such as Adam Howden and Rufus Jones.

Between that and this, I get the feeling Nintendo is building up their VA contact lists a bit; a good sign.

Woah ! Something really strange happened !
I played Chapter 9
then at the begining Pit didn't take the Three Sacred Treasures this time O___o

SmithnCo

Woah ! Something really strange happened !
I played Chapter 9
then at the begining Pit didn't take the Three Sacred Treasures this time O___o

This is something I just figured out the other day.
You can tap the sacred treasure icon on the level select to turn it on/off. So you must've hit it off by accident.

McNum

Hmm, well, I'm on the fence now. Do I go buy this game tomorrow or not...

The idea of a Smash-like action game, when it comes to movement, sounds fun, and I took a look at some videos, probably spoiling some things in the process, and it looks nice. Plus the voice acting and writing seems lighthearted and funny. Seriously, since when is Nintendo that good at voices? And that poor 4th wall... Then again, if you turn 3D on, is there still a 4th wall?

But how does the loot system work? Random drops? Crafting? Buying? All of the above? Looking at all the weapon types in the OP, I'm just wondering how that all works. I'll probably stick to a bow, if they're available from the start, until I get the hang of the game. I assume the bow is the allrounder? Besides, gotta respect the classic Pit.

I hope the English cast is a sign of things to come from Nintendo. There's a lot of big (for gaming/animation) names in there. Lots of people with proven talent.

For better or worse, Nintendo is probably using this game as a test for how much presentation really sells a game.

Hopefully they see it was worth it and hopefully the sales pan out.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
For better or worse, Nintendo is probably using this game as a test for how much presentation really sells a game.

Hopefully they see it was worth it and hopefully the sales pan out.

I was thinking that. The anime tie-ins help too, maybe, wanting to ensure quality voice production and thus going with experienced names.

I didn't realise it was Ali Hillis as Palutena until I read it.

Jintor

But how does the loot system work? Random drops? Crafting? Buying? All of the above? Looking at all the weapon types in the OP, I'm just wondering how that all works. I'll probably stick to a bow, if they're available from the start, until I get the hang of the game. I assume the bow is the allrounder? Besides, gotta respect the classic Pit.

All of the above. Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it quickly though.

SmithnCo

Pretty much all of the above. You get random weapons from chests, and their level is better as you play higher difficulties. You can then fuse them with other weapons to try to pass their traits on and improve their overall ability.

Bows are good for starters but it's also really easy to just try out multiple weapons as you go through the levels, fusing as you go.

Tenck

So many weapons to go through. Just collecting them is going to be half the fun.

I made the mistake of never watching the dodging tutorial, so I had no idea about the ways in which you can dodge in the flight sections and ho dodging on foot gives you a moment of invincibility (but I can never pull this off). I've already beaten the game, but is it in my best interest to figure this stuff out for level 9'ing everything? I've been trying the aerial dodging and it doesn't seem terribly useful to me.

Jintor

It's far more efficient in the air to just nuke everything as soon as it comes on screen, since you need gliding to activate the air dodge.

You should work on dodging on the ground though, you're going to fucking need it

Tenck

It's far more efficient in the air to just nuke everything as soon as it comes on screen, since you need gliding to activate the air dodge.

You should work on dodging on the ground though, you're going to fucking need it

Even at 7 intensity it's a must. Monsters are no joke and want you dead as quick as possible. Feels cheap at times, but man oh man, when you pull it all off you feel like a god. A GOD!!

I was thinking that. The anime tie-ins help too, maybe, wanting to ensure quality voice production and thus going with experienced names.

I didn't realise it was Ali Hillis as Palutena until I read it.

I did not know Ali Hillis was Lightning from XIII-2!
I think she has a better sense of anime-style dialogue now.

The only ground monsters I feel are honestly cheap are the ones where you have to switch between melee and shots depending on the orientation of their face mask.

I feel like they're designed to rush behind you and then rush back at you from off-camera.

Even at 7 intensity it's a must. Monsters are no joke and want you dead as quick as possible. Feels cheap at times, but man oh man, when you pull it all off you feel like a god. A GOD!!

My main problem with ground dodging is depth perception rather than reflexes. I tend to dodge too early thinking I'm about to get hit, but I'm usually wrong.

Tenck

The only ground monsters I feel are honestly cheap are the ones where you have to switch between melee and shots depending on the orientation of their face mask.

I feel like they're designed to rush behind you and then rush back at you from off-camera.

The one I hate with a passion is that spinning one. And that totem pole looking one what shoots a laser.

Edit:
My main problem with ground dodging is depth perception rather than reflexes. I tend to dodge too early thinking I'm about to get hit, but I'm usually wrong.

Yeah that too. I need to time the dodging better because sometimes It's so embarrassing.

Boogiepop

The one I hate with a passion is that spinning one. And that totem pole looking one what shoots a laser.

Edit:

Yeah that too. I need to time the dodging better because sometimes It's so embarrassing.

Oh god. Yeah, that one tends to wreck me. My jaw dropped a little when I watched the dodging tutorial to learn how to air dodge and they showed that you could dodge through the spinny laser!

I'm fine with those. The only ones I can't stand are mimi cuties and those giant creatures that charge after you.

FLAguy954

Edit:

I agree on the embarrassment part. I usually hit up the chapter with the hewdraw heads to brush up on my dodging (via the totem poll laser enemies).

So I finally beat Kid Icarus the 3D Classic the other day. Feels great. The backgrounds really help traversing the dungeons a lot easier. Also the good ol' pressing Start and A button in the shop to lower the prices too. Medusa was ridiculously easy and from that stage alone is probably where Sakurai was inspired to split the game into air and land battles. The influence is definitely there.

KevinCow

Banned
I decided to make a Monoeye plushie.

7hElQ.png

olimpia84

So I finally beat Kid Icarus the 3D Classic the other day. Feels great. The backgrounds really help traversing the dungeons a lot easier. Also the good ol' pressing Start and A button in the shop to lower the prices too. Medusa was ridiculously easy and from that stage alone is probably where Sakurai was inspired to split the game into air and land battles. The influence is definitely there.

Oh I didn't know you could use that trick to lower the prices in the shop. Will give that a shot, I'm still stuck in (I think) 1-4

Neiteio

I love the plushie! :)

Man, last night I replayed
Chapter 11 ("Viridi, Goddess of Nature")
several times, and my appreciation for it grew each time. The flight section opens with breathtaking spectacle, before you slowly fly through the
fallout from the Reset Bomb, fighting the newly introduced Forces of Nature as Palutena debates morality with Viridi
. Then the twisting, turning pathways of the on-foot part, and the wide variety of combat situations with all-new enemies, and lots of springs, and some Aether Ring goodness, and the gorgeous scenery, and gorgeous music, all topped off with an epic smackdown against
Cragalanche
... It's just so fun!

Doorman

I'm fine with those. The only ones I can't stand are mimi cuties and those giant creatures that charge after you.

The clubberskulls? Guh, I really don't like those things. Half the time I manage to successfully dodge their attack and then it hits me anyway because his fist-sweep attack thing just goes on for so damn long. When enemies charge you like that it becomes hard to keep the camera focused in their direction, which makes things particularly tricky.

Boogiepop

Anyone else notice that the on foot sections kinda sorta fall apart by the end to some degree? I mean, it seems odd that
21 is just a circle where you fight waves of enemies, 22 has no ground section, 24 is just a straight path you go up and refight bosses, and 25 has no ground section. 23 is fine, but it's just odd to see such a cluster of virtually nonexistant ground parts at the end.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Biggest issue I have with dodging is that it is really awkward gauging the range from the enemies to within the proper distance to do a 'circle dodge'.

You have to be somewhat close and have the stylus touching the screen to do this. If you happen to step out of 'the invisible radius' if even slightly, then you will just side dash with the camera way off course instead of the expected 'circle strafe'. Gets really irritating and drives me crazy when that happens.

Edit: And yea, is there a resource anywhere in the game that better describes these stat perks? Shaking +2..what the fuck is that?

I'm glad this thread is finally slowing down a little. I hate doing hit and runs, but this thread has been so huge that I can't keep up! There have been lots of posts I've wanted to respond to, but I get so overwhelmed with the volume of content (LIKE IN THE GAME) that I lie in a fetal position and cry (LIKE AFTER I PLAY THE GAME)

Anyway, still very much confident that this is one of the best games I've ever played. I only have about 12 more panels to unlock on Paulatena's treasure panel, hoo-rah!

The clubberskulls? Guh, I really don't like those things. Half the time I manage to successfully dodge their attack and then it hits me anyway because his fist-sweep attack thing just goes on for so damn long. When enemies charge you like that it becomes hard to keep the camera focused in their direction, which makes things particularly tricky.
Yeah. Even when I focus on just avoiding and keeping distance between them it becomes tricky because they can move so fast.

I am fine with the Mimcuties because dodging them isn't hard and most of my best weapons confuse.
I still can barely stand them. I'm fine with them if there's enough space but if I'm in a small enclosed space with them I'm screwed or if there are multiple ones.

I'm glad this thread is finally slowing down a little. I hate doing hit and runs, but this thread has been so huge that I can't keep up! There have been lots of posts I've wanted to respond to, but I get so overwhelmed with the volume of content (LIKE IN THE GAME) that I lie in a fetal position and cry (LIKE AFTER I PLAY THE GAME)

Anyway, still very much confident that this is one of the best games I've ever played. I only have about 12 more panels to unlock on Paulatena's treasure panel, hoo-rah!

apparently there are 2 of them. not including the power panel board

Top Bottom