• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

I think I like Clubs now, as well as Claws.

This is the baby I maul my enemies with:
yDfCn.jpg

Extremely long range, slight auto aim, overall brutal.
I like it so far. It even is quite handy for single player :)

Spoilers for those who haven't completed the game, but here's a fusion guide and list of unlockable weapons.

Gah! GAF -> internet -> GAF. That's my chart and list. It's in other places all over the internet too.

And what sucks is I've been informed that my list was partly wrong, too - Cancer and Beam Claws were switched, and Viridi and Great Reaper Palms were switched. I fixed it here at GAF, but most of the rest are wrong. Including this guy who went to the trouble of reformatting all the information.

Cancer is 9 and Beam is 10, Viridi is 11 and Great Reaper is 12.

Insaniac

Thanks to Sporky's fusion guide I fused a nice bow (posted it yesterday) made this ridiculous piece of work last night.

The speed and stamina bonus, combined with the high speed boost of being a hedgehog claw type means I close distances ridiculously fast, and the dash melee boost and +3 melee combo boost means my melee combo does 150 damage

(Sorry for big pic)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Can I open a SPOILER thread, where to talk freely about the plot of the game? Since there have been so much posts with black bars, maybe it's a good thing to open a discussion where to talk about it...

Which is basically Gurren Lagann by Nintendo :lol

Anteo

Can I open a SPOILER thread, where to talk freely about the plot of the game? Since there have been so much posts with black bars, maybe it's a good thing to open a discussion where to talk about it...

Which is basically Gurren Lagann by Nintendo :lol

And call that thread with the subtitle "The next chapter is better"

Doorman

Hm. So I've created a Black Club that I'm pretty sure has a higher walking speed than running speed. I'm not quite sure what to do with it now. Clubs are still a strange beast for me, I haven't figured out a really useful strategy for them, especially against an opponent with any semblance of speed.

Mpl90

"Tengen Toppa Kid Icarus: Uprising SPOILER Thread | The next chapter is even better"

Is this a good thread title?

McNum

Well, I think you guys have convinced me, I'll try this game out.

Just one final question for now: How important is the 3D in the game? I have trouble seeing it sometimes, so I can't rely on it. Does the game still play fine in 2D?

Izayoi

Banned
Anyone ever hit the power button in the thick of a fight?
Cuz this has happened to me 10 times over the course of playing this game.
I must have an awful hand coordination to do so. Especially nearing the end of a long hardfought chapter it's grating to lose all that progress.
Made all the worst that i'm still fighting the controls after 12 hours of play.
Even you did hit the power button, you either have to press it several times in rapid succession or hold it for it to actually close the game. How did you manage that? I haven't even accidentally touched it once before.

Izayoi

Banned

Just one final question for now: How important is the 3D in the game? I have trouble seeing it sometimes, so I can't rely on it. Does the game still play fine in 2D?
I never play it in 2D, but apparently it works just fine. There aren't any situations that I can think of where it would be "necessary" or really help all that much outside of some additional visual flair.

RagnarokX

Hm. So I've created a Black Club that I'm pretty sure has a higher walking speed than running speed. I'm not quite sure what to do with it now. Clubs are still a strange beast for me, I haven't figured out a really useful strategy for them, especially against an opponent with any semblance of speed.

super armor + bumblebee + magnus club + reverse charge shot + any other charge shot = lots of kills

She's getting closer....

Anything else? Something...less obvious, maybe?

The 3D is not important at all (one level actually uses the 3D effect to screw with your head a little bit), but it certainly looks VERY nice.
I played most of the game in 2D mode, though.

Man, I go to a movie for 3 hours and I have over a page of posts waiting for me when I get back 0_o

@McNum:

I've seen you hanging around the UMvC3 threads along with a few others that I frequent, so I assume we have similar interests and tastes. With that said, buy this game. Before March 23rd, when people asked me what my favourite game was, I said, "I dunno, maybe Shadow of the Colossus or Metal Gear Solid 4." Now, when asked that question, I can respond, without a doubt, that it is Kid Icarus: Uprising. The game just seems to strike a chord with me on every level, and I love it to pieces. The story, music, characters, graphics and system are all amazing and deep, and the multiplayer is a blast to play. As for the loot system; I'm the kind of guy who can't even play Skyrim without getting completely overwhelmed by the loot system, and I'm addicted to crafting weapons in this game. Plus, if you play with friends, your fun will literally be doubled due to how crazy and enjoyable the multiplayer is.

Bottom line, buy this game. You will not regret it.

@Uncle Sporky:

Thank you so much for this guide. It allowed me to attain my glorious Samurai Blade, and by extention all of my 9.0 clears.

On that note, does anyone think I should craft a Wolf Claws and a Beam Claws with 285 and 288 respectively into a 294 Magnus Club? I'm comfortable with both kinds of weapons; I just need to know if the club is worth it.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

It plays fine in 2D, but this game has the best 3D i have seen yet. Plus, unlike other games, it enhances the visuals making them more clear and colorful.

And btw, you are in for a treat.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Clubs are in fact probably the easiest weapon for online novices

Good up close, good charge shot, loads of damage, don't really need to be good at aiming for lefties either (especially not with autoreticule!)

Seem to be fairly lag resistent too and you move at a decent clip with them on.

KevinCow

Banned
Man. I wish bosses had life bars. I hate playing through a whole level for the Kill the Boss in Crisis Mode challenge, then accidentally killing the boss before I get to crisis mode.

Tyeforce

Not so fast, sir. This chap noticed a difference that could very well enhance the game for you. Having beaten Chapter 3 on every difficulty, I can verify that this dialogue does not appear until you have offered lots of hearts. So I guess it's really up to you then, isn't it?
I haven't offered any hearts and I've heard the goldfish dialog.

Neiteio

Man. I wish bosses had life bars. I hate playing through a whole level for the Kill the Boss in Crisis Mode challenge, then accidentally killing the boss before I get to crisis mode.
Yeah, and it sucks they often have great prizes attached to them (music for Dark Pit, for instance; I managed to get that one purely by accident, without even knowing the conditions). What's the best way to approach the Crisis Mode ones? They have to be done on certain intensities... Maybe someone can calculate the amount of damage a certain weapon of a certain strength does to the boss on that intensity, how many hits the boss takes and then people can simply play a level with a comparable weapon and power and count out the hits and... Aw, fuck it. Any ideas?

RagnarokX

Isn't the Magnus club only good for melee? I'd go for the one with Melee stars, overall defense sounds good for closer range too.

No, Magnus club has a short recharge time and its shots have good homing. As long as you are within 20 meters you are dead. The reverse charge shot whips up a tornado that has great range. The ranged shots on the 5 star do ~190 damage, the 3.5 star do ~150 + 50 with a full burn. Melee on the the no star does ~100, 3.5 star does ~170 +50 with full burn. The 5 star has a high chance of petrification, though, which would make finishing an opponent easier.

olimpia84

I probably used the 3D for like 10 minutes and never turned it on again. For some reason it gives me a headache and it's very hard to focus. The game works just fine without it.

Tyeforce

Seriously? I must've beaten that level more than 30 times, and I've never heard it before. Where and how did you hear it?
I don't remember what Chapter I was playing or what weapon I was using at the time, but I definitely heard it. It's just one of the random sets of dialog that can be heard at various times, like the "Big monsters kill Pit! GRRR!!" one.

McNum

@McNum:

I've seen you hanging around the UMvC3 threads along with a few others that I frequent, so I assume we have similar interests and tastes. With that said, buy this game. Before March 23rd, when people asked me what my favourite game was, I said, "I dunno, maybe Shadow of the Colossus or Metal Gear Solid 4." Now, when asked that question, I can respond, without a doubt, that it is Kid Icarus: Uprising. The game just seems to strike a chord with me on every level, and I love it to pieces. The story, music, characters, graphics and system are all amazing and deep, and the multiplayer is a blast to play. As for the loot system; I'm the kind of guy who can't even play Skyrim without getting completely overwhelmed by the loot system, and I'm addicted to crafting weapons in this game. Plus, if you play with friends, your fun will literally be doubled due to how crazy and enjoyable the multiplayer is.

Bottom line, buy this game. You will not regret it.
I'm not sure what my favorite game is at the moment. There are a lot of good ones around, but it's probably something along the lines of Ocarina of Time or The Sims 3 or similar. Maybe Xenoblade.

But I think you guys have convinced me enough. I'll try this game out. Coming in with little to no expectations means the game can pretty much only be a positive surprise.

Tyeforce

I probably used the 3D for like 10 minutes and never turned it on again. For some reason it gives me a headache and it's very hard to focus. The game works just fine without it.
Just for this game, or for your 3DS in general? If it's the latter, that's your problem, then. You need to play with 3D on for awhile to give your eyes a chance to adjust. The 3D feels weird for most people at first, but after time it will become normal (not for everyone, of course, but for the vast majority of people). If it's only this game that's giving you a headache...well, that's odd.

Korosenai

Isn't the Magnus club only good for melee? I'd go for the one with Melee stars, overall defense sounds good for closer range too.

It's awesome with range if you can get in close enough. One good dashing charged shot and I can do 200+ damage, and by the time my character stands up from the dive, it's already charged again for another one.

xrtjF.jpg

Mpl90

Just one question for the SPOILER thread.

Can I open it with a chat between Pit, Palutena and another character like if it were from the game itself? Just to introduce it.

olimpia84

Just for this game, or for your 3DS in general? If it's the latter, that's your problem, then. You need to play with 3D on for awhile to give your eyes a chance to adjust. The 3D feels weird for most people at first, but after time it will become normal (not for everyone, of course, but for the vast majority of people). If it's only this game that's giving you a headache...well, that's odd.

Nah, just for this game and RE: Revelations.

RagnarokX

After some testing, the 5 star magnus club is better. If that petrification hits the enemy is basically dead meat, and it hits very often. It's probably even better than Nub's because of that :p

Korosenai

After some testing, the 5 star magnus club is better. If that petrification hits the enemy is basically dead meat, and it hits very often. It's probably even better than Nub's because of that :p

Ya mine takes two hits on anybody. If you could hit with that charged shot, then get in close for the melee, they're dead meat in seconds.

HOLD YOUR TONGUE.

Seriously do not complain of too much content. I don't want any developers to listen in.

It's not a complaint of content, it's a complaint of pacing and structure. It's one small flaw I, too, believe the game has. A few of the on-foot sections do drag on a bit too long and overstay their welcome, this is especially grievous in a handheld game, imo.

Busaiku

I have a complaint.

Some of these levels are way too long. Level 9 took like an hour or something. Gah.

Only if you try to do everything.
If you're not looking for everything, even at higher Intensities, most levels would only be like 20 minutes tops.

Heck, nowadays, I feel like the Air Battles last much longer.

RagnarokX

Ya mine takes two hits on anybody. If you could hit with that charged shot, then get in close for the melee, they're dead meat in seconds.

I was just completely destroying the other team in some online matches. I like to get in close with super armor and bumblebee and launch a tornado, which increases the chances of petrification. Then another dash charge shot in any direction finishes the job. The only down side to petrification is that it halves damage, but I can petrify multiple targets with the tornado.

Top Bottom