• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

It's not a complaint of content, it's a complaint of pacing and structure. It's one small flaw I, too, believe the game has. A few of the on-foot sections do drag on a bit too long and overstay their welcome, this is especially grievous in a handheld game, imo.

Ok that I can understand. Yea, a proper sequel needs attention paid to pacing in particular.

Captain N

It's awesome with range if you can get in close enough. One good dashing charged shot and I can do 200+ damage, and by the time my character stands up from the dive, it's already charged again for another one.

xrtjF.jpg

how / where do you get that club? I want it!

Hale-XF11

I just noticed that if you tap repeatedly really fast on the face on the fiend's cauldron,
the cauldron turns around and also his eyes stop glowing when the cursor is on Intensity 9
. I wonder if doing this changes the game play at all or if it's just a fun little distraction. Interesting, either way.

Korosenai

I was just completely destroying the other team in some online matches. I like to get in close with super armor and bumblebee and launch a tornado, which increases the chances of petrification. Then another dash charge shot in any direction finishes the job. The only down side to petrification is that it halves damage, but I can petrify multiple targets with the tornado.

Trade me? haha

But nah, I love my magnus club. I use tirelessness lv. 3, aries armor lv. 1, transparency lv. 4, and effect recovery lv. 1

Tirelessness makes it to where I can pretty much run as long as i want (I think I can use it 3 or 4 times in a single life), and then the armor makes me pretty invincible, and then add on transparency and you won't even see me coming.

I may have to try out bumblebee sometime though and see how it works.

RagnarokX

Trade me? haha

But nah, I love my magnus club. I use tirelessness lv. 3, aries armor lv. 1, transparency lv. 4, and effect recovery lv. 1

Tirelessness makes it to where I can pretty much run as long as i want (I think I can use it 3 or 4 times in a single life), and then the armor makes me pretty invincible, and then add on transparency and you won't even see me coming.

Bumblebee is great. It basically makes you almost unhittable for a while and sets you up for attacks by teleporting you around your the person attacking you.

MegaByte

Anyone ever hit the power button in the thick of a fight?
Cuz this has happened to me 10 times over the course of playing this game.
I must have an awful hand coordination to do so. Especially nearing the end of a long hardfought chapter it's grating to lose all that progress.

Yeah, I hate that. I use my right pinky to brace the system and sometimes in an intense match, I press too hard with the stylus and my ring finger hits the power button and shuts off the system.

Bumblebee is great. It basically makes you almost unhittable for a while and sets you up for attacks by teleporting you around your the person attacking you.

I just tried to use bumblebee for the first time today.......I think I was using it wrong.
I'd tap the power to activate it and then attack but I didn't teleport or anything.......

Roto13

HOLD YOUR TONGUE.

Seriously do not complain of too much content. I don't want any developers to listen in.

The problem isn't too much content. I'd rather have twice as many levels that are half as long, though.

Only if you try to do everything.
If you're not looking for everything, even at higher Intensities, most levels would only be like 20 minutes tops.

Heck, nowadays, I feel like the Air Battles last much longer.
That's no excuse.

KevinCow

Banned
What the fuck. I was just trying to do the Kill X Boss in Crisis Mode challenge, got down to crisis mode, fired the final shot...

...And recovered just before it hit the boss. :|

Tuck

Well, I think you guys have convinced me, I'll try this game out.

Just one final question for now: How important is the 3D in the game? I have trouble seeing it sometimes, so I can't rely on it. Does the game still play fine in 2D?

Plays fine in 2D, but I certainly would not want to play it like that.

Busaiku

What the fuck. I was just trying to do the Kill X Boss in Crisis Mode challenge, got down to crisis mode, fired the final shot...

Brief Invincibility and Playing Dead are like absolutely necessary for those.
For me at least.

Bullza2o

How would you know it is the final shot? Is there a boss life meter that I don't know about?

RagnarokX

I just tried to use bumblebee for the first time today.......I think I was using it wrong.
I'd tap the power to activate it and then attack but I didn't teleport or anything.......

It causes you to autododge and teleport when attacked. You can't control it. Once it is activated, you'll start autododging and teleporting behind enemies when attacked.

Beat Chapter 3 on 9.0. Pretty easily too. I guess this is my new favorite weapon for single player.

Laser Staff
Ranged: 6 Stars
Melee: 0 Stars
Overall defense, Stamina +1
Health, Burning +2

Does 164 with a forward dash ch. 128 with a standing ch. and with it having the 2nd best range in the game makes it great sniping enemies does they even see you.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I could understand the 3D having a bad effect on you if you're motion sick. Some of flying sections have a tremendous impression of speed.

StAidan

The weapons in this game make it so much greater. I don't even know how many awesome weapons I've tried at this point. And I just keep unlocking more as I go through solo mode. (The
Viridi
palms I got from chapter
have turned me into a damage-dealing rock star.)

Speaking of rock stars, I just finished chapter
and the whole visual atmosphere and soundtrack makes you feel like a dang rock star the whole way through.

This game is unbelievably top-notch.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Someone will eventually post a boss hp guide to make the kill in crisis mode bosses a lot easier.

Basically you'll use a standard weapon on whatever intensity is required and count hits.

Also of note: If no intensity is required, BOSS RUSH KILLS COUNT. This makes it a lot faster for some bosses if you hate the level.

FLAguy954

Trade me? haha

Same here, got like 200 and something kills with mine this morning to put me over 1000 kills (purple medal). The powers I use with mine are Explosion lv.1, quick charge lv. 3, tirelesness lv. 2, bumblebee lv. 1, and counter lv. 1. And because of the speed buffs on my club I can bundle it with tirelessness to get across a map instantly.

Korosenai

Same here, got like 200 and something kills with mine this morning to put me over 1000 kills (purple medal). The powers I use with mine are Explosion lv.1, quick charge lv. 3, tirelesness lv. 2, bumblebee lv. 1, and counter lv. 1. And because of the speed buffs on my club I can bundle it with tirelessness to get across a map instantly.

Dang, I just reached 800 kills this morning. Do you get something on the trophy board for 1000, or anything special for the ribbon?

And yea, tirelessness for clubs is amazing. I'm definitely going to try out bumblebee when I get on later.

Busaiku

That's not the problem he was having, though. He beat the boss, but recovered out of crisis mode at the last second, so it didn't count.

Ahh, read that wrong then.
But still, with those moves it allows you go crazy so you don't have to worry as much about recovering.

you guys that say higher intensities need 3d off are insane

the 3d is the most impressive at the higher intensities and the sense of depth makes it easier to dodge, in my experience. accidentally losing the 3d effect isn't much of an issue either, that's why they gave you the stand.

PKrockin

Any tips for going through Kid Icarus 3D classic? First time through the game.

Go with the original controls. Just like Uprising they have a learning curve but are perfectly fine once you get used to them.

Kill as many enemies as you reasonably can. It will net you strength and health powerups, and get you more hearts to buy stuff with.

Buy the barrel. It lets you store like eight potions.

Don't worry too much about dying. There's no penalty except getting sent back to the beginning of the level.

Orange lava is actually a hot spring that restores your health.

Smash the statues in the fortresses with the mallet.

The game is hardest at the beginning due to your low health. Stick with it even if you're finding it too tough, it'll get easier.

likeGdid

Just completed all the chapters and I'm having fun replaying some (and getting new dialogue, apparently).

I know someone has worked out a weapon fusion chart, but has there been more progress in learning about weapon fusion?

This has been really confusing, so I've hoarded a good 70+ weapons during my playthrough, rarely fusing any.

Can low star weapons be fused into higher stars, or are they pretty much going to be low tier forever?

Kunan

Any word on a release date for the 3D Classic in Canada? I'll live with the fact that we got a second AR card pack instead of it for pre-ordering, but I would still like to buy it!

Ragus

Banned
Do spotpass weapons always cost so much hearts? I've turned this feature on yesterday, and so far I can buy claws for 80k.

Boogiepop

I didn't realize fusing gems made you create the weapon and pay for it instead of just getting a gem that was a fusion. Whoops. I just lost a lot of hearts just to get the "fuse gems once" box. And there's a fuse gems 10 times box, at the very least. :( I really hope people start Streetpassing me this week.

I tried playing the original Kid Icarus in preparation. But that game is absolute garbage.

So I started Uprising, and it is absolutely amazing. I didn't even need time to get used to the controls. I love this game.

Just completed all the chapters and I'm having fun replaying some (and getting new dialogue, apparently).

I know someone has worked out a weapon fusion chart, but has there been more progress in learning about weapon fusion?

This has been really confusing, so I've hoarded a good 70+ weapons during my playthrough, rarely fusing any.

Can low star weapons be fused into higher stars, or are they pretty much going to be low tier forever?

There's no concrete evidence yet I don't think, but generally speaking you want to keep fusing weapons together so you can create better skill combinations. The melee/ranged power stats and the weapon value should continue to climb as well as long as you keep fusing more and more powerful weapons.

NeoRausch

One question about boss-crisis mode kills:

people say that it is annoying to go trought the whole chapter just to die in the last second on the boss, but don't you just restart at the boss then.

FAKEEDIT:
uh...it just crossed my mind....bosses with no set intensity can be killed easily and if you die on a boss with set intensity it kicks you back to a lower intensity...

just answered my own question, hurr. Thank you...me. :3

KevinCow

Banned

The rating of a fused weapon will, as far as I can tell, always be higher than the average rating of the two weapons used to fuse it.

So if you fuse a 200 and a 200, it'll come out higher than 200. If you fuse a 200 and a 100, it'll come out higher than 150.

I just like to take all my sub-100 weapons and randomly fuse them until they're all at least 200.

GAF, I really really want to like this game. I mean I do like it. The graphics, the story, the art, the goodies all packed into it. I'm still only at like Chapter 8 but I just cant seem to get past the control issues.

I've tried using my hands, tried using the stand, tried tweaking the options. I just cant seem to find the sweet spot or the point where it "clicks". :( I really want to love this game but the ground controls are so awful (or at least I'm awful at them)

I have big hands and long fingers and playing this game is a strain to my hands. I can only do a chapter or 2 at a time without being very uncomfortable.

Any control tips?

likeGdid

There's no concrete evidence yet I don't think, but generally speaking you want to keep fusing weapons together so you can create better skill combinations. The melee/ranged power stats and the weapon value should continue to climb as well as long as you keep fusing more and more powerful weapons.

The rating of a fused weapon will, as far as I can tell, always be higher than the average rating of the two weapons used to fuse it.

So if you fuse a 200 and a 200, it'll come out higher than 200. If you fuse a 200 and a 100, it'll come out higher than 150.

I just like to take all my sub-100 weapons and randomly fuse them until they're all at least 200.
I see. I guess the hard part is making sure the good attributes are carried over. Thanks for the responses!

Busaiku

You know, are there certain weapons that are stronger/weaker than others?
In those Treasure Hunts that require you to beat certain bosses with certain weapons, I noticed the colors of the hits were different (which I'm guessing implies they're weaker against those enemies).

Top Bottom