• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

bitoriginal

GAF, I really really want to like this game. I mean I do like it. The graphics, the story, the art, the goodies all packed into it. I'm still only at like Chapter 8 but I just cant seem to get past the control issues.

I've tried using my hands, tried using the stand, tried tweaking the options. I just cant seem to find the sweet spot or the point where it "clicks". :( I really want to love this game but the ground controls are so awful (or at least I'm awful at them)

I have big hands and long fingers and playing this game is a strain to my hands. I can only do a chapter or 2 at a time without being very uncomfortable.

Any control tips?

This is probably obvious, but don't center the 3DS on the stand, move it to the left so that your finger can press L without hitting the stand.

I also have a pillow on my lap, and then the 3DS on the stand so that the pillow supports your hand. Beyond that, watch the tutorials on how to play. It gives you a much greater understanding of the mechanics regarding the stylus.

SpokkX

On my second run on higher dif. Game is just amazing and actually keeps getting better

I am in awe really, did not expect this to be any better than passable

Best thing from nintendo since.. Galaxy?

Roto13

Is it just me or are the odds in Idol Toss a total lie? I've only gotten a duplicate once ever and I only ever use one egg. Right now it's at 80%, so one in five of my attempts should end in failure, but nope.

Am I the only one who absolutely loves Dark Pit's theme? When the next Smash Bros comes out, I'm setting that song to play all the time on the KI stages.

Korosenai

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The crisis mode treasure panels are a pain, and I definitely have recovered just as I made the final hit which is a complete bummer.

Essentially though, I find using the power that drains your health in favor of stat boosts(especially use it with full health at start of fight) is a huge help for 1)getting your health near crisis immediately, and 2) doing extra damage for whittling their health down, especially if playing on 5.0 where death won't come quite so quickly for them.

During that period you'll need to take a hit or two and of course enter crisis mode(activate shield power here for a bit of defense bonus in case), and then just go all out. Most bosses aren't too bad though, in that you can eventually eke out a pretty solid pattern and focus on dodging to avoid ever getting hit. Just keep in mind to keep letting yourself take light damage when out of crisis mode, and only really go all out the moment you enter it.

Still really blows having to replay entire stages just to get another shot though. Really wish enemy health bars could be activated.

Boogiepop

Gah, went through chapter 7 and dropped down several difficulties in trying to get either the
all forms or crisis mode
checked off, and got neither. Is when he changes forms controlled by damage like it seems (outside of the two "invincible" forms)? If so, that's really, really mean. Ugh. I shouldn't have gotten greedy on my first try and attempted both, as all the forms had already appeared.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I got the Crisis Mode one on Chapter 7 just this time without actually trying for it, I just happened to be that total-fucked fighting him on higher intensities. Woo!

Here's something I can't figure out. Every once in a while Pit will do a strafe dodge around an enemy and end up behind them. It's not the same as the usual cursor-on-enemy-and-side-dash thing. That goes around maybe a quarter of the distance. This one I'm talking about literally insta-zooms you to the back of the enemy with a different animation, and usually auto-melees. What on earth am I doing to make this happen? Anyone?

Also, something I could never figure out but just today DID, is what that weird "woosh" effect you get in flying stages is, where a little ripple goes radially out from the screen. It's one of your two Super Attacks becoming fully charged. Good to know, it was driving me crazy.

FLAguy954

Dang, I just reached 800 kills this morning. Do you get something on the trophy board for 1000, or anything special for the ribbon?

And yea, tirelessness for clubs is amazing. I'm definitely going to try out bumblebee when I get on later.

Sorry for the late reply.

Unfortunately no, I didn't unlock anything on the trophy board :(. I just it's just for bragging rights for now...

Jintor

Here's something I can't figure out. Every once in a while Pit will do a strafe dodge around an enemy and end up behind them. It's not the same as the usual cursor-on-enemy-and-side-dash thing. That goes around maybe a quarter of the distance. This one I'm talking about literally insta-zooms you to the back of the enemy with a different animation, and usually auto-melees. What on earth am I doing to make this happen? Anyone?

If you dodge a melee move, it's like a counter-dodge animation instead of normal circle strafe.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Okay, I'm convinced my magnus club is the ultimate weapon. Holy crap.

I'm not even convinced its the best club. Sure it charges fast, has good melee, has a great back dash, but it's range is terrible.

It's popularity online has me using good ranged weapons more and more.

FLAguy954

What you are doing is a "dash-around". You can perform this by dashing left or right when: 1) your are close enough so that the reticle has a spiked rim and 2) keeping the reticle fixated on the enemy.

Edit: Beaten.

FLAguy954

I'm not even convinced its the best club. Sure it charges fast, has good melee, has a great back dash, but it's range is terrible.

It's purely for online use for me. I cant fathom dealing with it's range in story mode.

SmithnCo

Magnus Club is pretty good, I often get first in free-for-all with it. I did see a japanese player murdering with a Skyscraper Club though, which I kinda want to try because of the huge ball thing it shoots as a ranged attack.

With my club I use transparency to sneak in a few hits, and hopefully petrify people. The explosion power helps for range too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's purely for online use for me. I cant fathom dealing with it's range in story mode.

I actually used it on quite a few storymode maps because I had one with a big speed modifier.

It's range becomes an issue in online too if someone has a good range weapon though. Super Armor and other tricks don't help much when someone is pounding you across the map.

M3d10n

I haven't played the game yet (backlogged), but aren't those latest KI videos in the eShop... gigantic spoilers? Or am I wrong?

hatchx

Banned
I haven't played the game yet (backlogged), but aren't those latest KI videos in the eShop... gigantic spoilers? Or am I wrong?

Depends what you consider spoilers. They are new videos showing new characters/locations. They don't spoil the ending or anything.

....it's not really a spoiler game if you ask me.

Jintor

Super armour and Speed +4. WHAT NOW.

OH TOO LATE MAGNUS CLUB IN YO FACE

Boney

Banned
So... if anyone preordered, but haven't redeemed KI 3D, I'd gladly take them off their hands. Shitty NOA screwed over the rest of america.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

There is an invisible radius around enemies(usually close within melee range) and if you keep the stylus on screen and perform a side dash, then you will circle strafe to their back. This is taught to you by Palutena in the 4.0 intensity door early into Stage 1 against the miniboss IIRC.

Korosenai

Well if they're not a Staff sniper then they're probably moving backwards or laying down traps or whatever.

If I have tirelessness and my transparency, you can sit back and snipe all you want, but the next thing you'll know is i'm 2 feet behind you about to kill you :)

KevinCow

Banned

I just watched them, and, uh... wow. Those are some gigantic damn spoilers. They just throw out several huge plot twists. I don't really know why they'd do that.

Really couldn't disagree with that more. A big part of my first time through the game was just appreciating how crazy the game got and wondering where the hell it would go next. Because it couldn't possibly get any crazier, could it? But then it totally did.

Hell, I kinda even wish I'd played the game without knowing that
chapter 9 wasn't the end. The game was clearly designed and marketed around that being your expectation.

olimpia84

Beat Chapter 3 on 9.0. Pretty easily too. I guess this is my new favorite weapon for single player.

Laser Staff
Ranged: 6 Stars
Melee: 0 Stars
Overall defense, Stamina +1
Health, Burning +2

Does 164 with a forward dash ch. 128 with a standing ch. and with it having the 2nd best range in the game makes it great sniping enemies does they even see you.

The Laser Staff is my favorite campaign weapon as well. Love its range and it's not terribly bad in melee fights.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Just beat the game, and subsequently,
Boss Rush on easy

Man, what a ride.

Now to fill the Treasure Hunt and keep pwning online.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
chapter 9 wasn't the end. The game was clearly designed and marketed around that being your expectation.

Yea. And it didn't help that I was reading this thread before I hit
Chapter 10 and some people don't seem to realize that chapter numbers hemselves are spoilers too. So the whole faux-ending was mostly lost on me.

Jintor

I just watched them, and, uh... wow. Those are some gigantic damn spoilers. They just throw out several huge plot twists. I don't really know why they'd do that.

Really couldn't disagree with that more. A big part of my first time through the game was just appreciating how crazy the game got and wondering where the hell it would go next. Because it couldn't possibly get any crazier, could it? But then it totally did.

Yeah, I regret seeing references to
later chapters in this thread before reaching there

M3d10n

What do they show?

There are three videos. Without knowing about the game, they all seem spoilers for me, in three levels of spoilerism:

1) A mild spoiler, but cliché and expected:
Fighting against a former nature goddess.

2) A more serious plot twist, a bit cliché but which I didn't expect:
Pit fighting against Palutena.

3) Something out of nowhere that I really didn't expect in the game:
alien invaders
. I didn't watch this one after realizing how spoiler-ish the 2nd video was.

Depends what you consider spoilers. They are new videos showing new characters/locations. They don't spoil the ending or anything.

Dude, are you telling me there are even bigger plot twists than the ones I posted here?
(Worse yet is that the "Tengen Toppa" KI thread title already feels a spoiler considering the 3rd spoiler video in the eShop)

These spoilers do make me interesting in the game, for it shows there's a loooot more there than I was expecting, but I'd like to... experience the shock on my own =/

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Ah, Nub. My eternal rival. Someday, I will be rid of second place and steal the 1st-place crown from off of your head with the tip of my Samurai Blade. Until then, I wait.

The both of you are incredibly lethal up close. Yesterday's game taught me to never let either of you within a coupla feet of me. I will pimp out a high-speed, long-range homing staff just for people like you >:)

and then, finally, i will be at peace.

The both of you are incredibly lethal up close. Yesterday's game taught me to never let either of you within a coupla feet of me. I will pimp out a high-speed, long-range homing staff just for people like you >:)

and then, finally, i will be at peace.

Those be fightin' words, friend. Prepare to taste the wrath of my Libra-enhanced Nihōnto skills.

Made it to Chapter 11. This game is perfect for commute rides. These levels are starting to get really long too. I still kind of hate the Exo Tank controls though. So Hades is the one pulling the strings eh? Love how they play the faux credits before Hades pops up. I also really, really love when Medusa became her one eyed form.

I'm using Beam Claws with 3 stars in both categories. Also I love how although random, Pit does say "I'm Finished..." when he dies. It's great!

Top Bottom