• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Famitsu was right for a change. This game is strangely fresh and feels like an instant classic which is so very rare nowadays. And for me part of the charm is the unique control scheme. It feels like nothing else on the market. It would be just another third person shooter with dual stick controls.

You and me sir, word for word.

Jarsonot

Hey all, I put my name on the list a little while ago, but I think I'm missing people.

My friend code's 3523-2206-6152, PM me with yours!

I still go about half and half single player and online (So. Much. To. Do. Yet!) but would like more friend options when playing online!

Thanks!

EDIT: what's your opinion on best way to get hearts? Chapter, intensity, items, etc. I've got so much I want to do with hearts and nowhere near enough! I haven't put any effort into actually "farming" for hearts yet, just been playing the game a lot and getting them that way.

Zomba13

Just had an email from the hut (where I ordered the game) and got a code for the GB game Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters. Didn't even know there was any sort of bonus. When I saw the email I was going to give it away on GAF because I thought it'd be for the 3D classic one (which I already got for free).

I didn't even know there was a KI on the GB.

kSt

Hey all, I put my name on the list a little while ago, but I think I'm missing people.

My friend code's 3523-2206-6152, PM me with yours!

I still go about half and half single player and online (So. Much. To. Do. Yet!) but would like more friend options when playing online!

Thanks!

EDIT: what's your opinion on best way to get hearts? Chapter, intensity, items, etc. I've got so much I want to do with hearts and nowhere near enough! I haven't put any effort into actually "farming" for hearts yet, just been playing the game a lot and getting them that way.

I`ve added you. I add everyone who is on the list.

StayDead

Well, for the first 5 or so levels I was having trouble with the ground controls but I'm now totally used to them using both the stand and just my hands. Controls and plays like a total dream. I just finished Chapter
. I know it's not very far, but so far every level has just gotten better and better.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Sifted through the entire OST on YouTube and couldn't find the song from the E3 2010 trailer.

Did it not make it into the final game?

It's the them playing when you start the game, the first screen with the logo and "Touch it!" on the touch screen.

Insaniac

Hey any experienced players wanna offer me some tips? I'm really invested in claws and using melee to dole out damage. Is there a trick to getting in close and 'activating' the melee combo?

The reason I ask is cause I dash towards my enemy and then I either have the option of doing a dash melee attack, or stopping my dash and attempting to initiate the melee combo.

Doing the dash melee attack means less damage, and also knocks the enemy to the floor, so linking another melee attack is difficult. Is there a trick to not doing the dash melee and instead going straight into a melee combo?

Also after doing a melee combo and knocking an enemy to the ground, is there a way to follow up with more melee damage after they get up, or would it be more prudent to run away and go for another strike a little later?

Hey any experienced players wanna offer me some tips? I'm really invested in claws and using melee to dole out damage. Is there a trick to getting in close and 'activating' the melee combo?

The reason I ask is cause I dash towards my enemy and then I either have the option of doing a dash melee attack, or stopping my dash and attempting to initiate the melee combo.

Doing the dash melee attack means less damage, and also knocks the enemy to the floor, so linking another melee attack is difficult. Is there a trick to not doing the dash melee and instead going straight into a melee combo?

Also after doing a melee combo and knocking an enemy to the ground, is there a way to follow up with more melee damage after they get up, or would it be more prudent to run away and go for another strike a little later?

A good melee weapon is one that prioritizes pressure. My advice is to find a claw with a strong dash attack bonus, so that it does more damage with a dash attack than with a combo. For example, my Samurai Blade does 200 on a dash and only 160 on a combo. Even if your weapon does less damage on a dash, prioritise it over a melee combo. In most situations, the opponent won't wait for you to stop and do a combo, and will use the small window of oppourtunity between the dash cancel and the combo to either dodge away or harm you. By knocking them down with a dash attack, you get a moment to strategize and think. Yoi can hit them with a charge attack while they're down for some more damage, you can mix them up by dashing behind them, you can use a power, etc.

All in all, you will benefit more from using D. Attacks whenever you can. Save the melee combos for when you catch your opponent by surprise to stay safe and healthy.

Insaniac

A good melee weapon is one that prioritizes pressure. My advice is to find a claw with a strong dash attack bonus, so that it does more damage with a dash attack than with a combo. For example, my Samurai Blade does 200 on a dash and only 160 on a combo. Even if your weapon does less damage on a dash, prioritise it over a melee combo. In most situations, the opponent won't wait for you to stop and do a combo, and will use the small window of oppourtunity between the dash cancel and the combo to either dodge away or harm you. By knocking them down with a dash attack, you get a moment to strategize and think. Yoi can hit them with a charge attack while they're down for some more damage, you can mix them up by dashing behind them, you can use a power, etc.

All in all, you will benefit more from using D. Attacks whenever you can. Save the melee combos for when you catch your opponent by surprise to stay safe and healthy.

awesome, thanks.

ALso added a bunch of people from the list in the OT, hope to join in on some GAF games

WallJump

Banned
Beat THAT Chapter (
).

MOTHER OF GOD

THIS GAME!

Just keeps delivering! I don't want to finish it!

Actually I didn't care much for
controlling Magnus. He has no range! I play every new map on at intensity 7.0 and try not to die- and I died twice here. Mostly in "Centaurian muscle dude bullrushing me while being shot at by midget Centaurians" situations, which I found pretty frustrating. Maybe I just need more practice...

Also Chapter
DAT BASS (possibly my favorite chapter up through THAT one so far)

Georgious

Banned
This seems like a high quality game so far, but the controls are absolutely abysmal! I've tried every combination of schemes possible, and I still can't play this game for more than 30-60 minutes at a time.

The stand doesn't work for me because I don't have a level desk here and, more importantly, I'm a lefty and even holding the stylus with my right hand gives me cramps.

It's a shame. I'm sure I'll get slightly used to holding it with my left hand, but wow are these controls ridiculous.

This seems like a high quality game so far, but the controls are absolutely abysmal! I've tried every combination of schemes possible, and I still can't play this game for more than 30-60 minutes at a time.

The stand doesn't work for me because I don't have a level desk here and, more importantly, I'm a lefty and even holding the stylus with my right hand gives me cramps.

It's a shame. I'm sure I'll get slightly used to holding it with my left hand, but wow are these controls ridiculous.

They're not ideal but as almost everyone has said they get better. I was comfortable with the flying portion of the levels at the start but the land sections were killing me until recently and now I'm totally comfortable with them.

It does make a unique experience and I'm guessing that's why Nintendo was so adamant about not adding CCP dual stick support.

Boogiepop

Has anyone messed around with clubs for difficulty 9? I noticed the shot reflecting property of (all/some?) clubs, and it seemed like they would make the flying portions manageable, even if they make the ground parts a bit more tricky. At the very least, seems like an idea for reaching the level 9 door
at the beginning of the ocean palace.

Georgious

Banned
The menus and sheer number of stuff reminds me of SSBM.

Yes - THIS! I was so surprised as how SSB-y the menus were.

They're not ideal but as almost everyone has said they get better. I was comfortable with the flying portion of the levels at the start but the land sections were killing me until recently and now I'm totally comfortable with them.

It does make a unique experience and I'm guessing that's why Nintendo was so adamant about not adding CCP dual stick support.

Oh man I would love the dual stick support, regardless of how goofy it looks.

OmegaZero

Has anyone messed around with clubs for difficulty 9? I noticed the shot reflecting property of (all/some?) clubs, and it seemed like they would make the flying portions manageable, even if they make the ground parts a bit more tricky. At the very least, seems like an idea for reaching the level 9 door

Yes, and while they work well for most air battles, they are absolutely terrible during 9.0 ground battles. Sure, their charge shots rape everything, but that's only if you can hit them.
The Chapter 2 boss was a huge pain because of this: dodging left and right between attacks...

I use 300+ Standard Orbitars with 6 stars in the range category. Works like a charm so far, and I only have 6 chapters left to 9.0.

Clubs are great in the flying sections but you will get owned in the land battles sadly (at least I do).

Prinny

How late do I need to stay awake to slay an evil holy guy?

backlot

It's a little ironic if you ask me. You'd think the clubs would own face on the ground but suck in the air because they have no range or charge shot.

They do have charge shots. At least the ones I've used. The problem is all the flying enemies on the ground levels that you can't really melee.

They do have charge shots. At least the ones I've used. The problem is all the flying enemies on the ground levels that you can't really melee.

I remember the pain I went through to get the
"Beat Aurum Pyrrhon with a Club"
panel on the Treasure Hunt. Even with an Atlas Club, it was the most frustrating experience in the game for me.

backlot

panel on the Treasure Hunt. Even with an Atlas Club, it was the most frustrating experience in the game for me.

I had trouble with that boss even without a club so I can only imagine.

Apdiddy

I'm on Chapter 4 and I'm inclinded to agree....although I found the flying controls to be perfect while on foot to be horrible. I think if the on-foot sections were essentially a rail shooter too, I would be fine with it.

Protip for those who are frustrated by the ground controls: hook the pinkie finger of whatever hand you're using to hold the stylus around the 3DS. It helps to support it and keep it level. I've been using this kind of grip for every (3)DS game that requires me to hold the stylus at all times (i.e. Elite Beat Agents, Aliens Infestation, etc.) and most of my compatriots agree that it really helps.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Anyone else find it a little strange to play some dual analog games after playing this for an extended period of time? I tried playing some Rainbow Six the other day and moving the camera just felt so rough and constricted.

Protip for those who are frustrated by the ground controls: hook the pinkie finger of whatever hand you're using to hold the stylus around the 3DS. It helps to support it and keep it level. I've been using this kind of grip for every (3)DS game that requires me to hold the stylus at all times (i.e. Elite Beat Agents, Aliens Infestation, etc.) and most of my compatriots agree that it really helps.

What are you? my clone or something?
That's exactly what I do, too!

High five for pro stylus usage!

Anyone else find it a little strange to play some dual analog games after playing this for an extended period of time? I tried playing some Rainbow Six the other day and moving the camera just felt so rough and constricted.

I know, right! I tried playing the new Saints Row 3 DLC yesterday and it felt so much slower than usual!

PBalfredo

I'm loving the game but I find it hard to play for more than a few stages because my hand keeps cramping up. I think it mostly has to do with holding the system with my left hand while also making The Claw with my thumb on the pad and my finger on the L button. And I have very large hands as well. Using the stand helps, but I never feel I'm in the right position for the 3D unless I lean over uncomfortably.

Are there any accessories for the 3DS that add good grips to the system for big handed people like me?

What are you? my clone or something?
That's exactly what I do, too!

High five for pro stylus using!

tumblr_ll8y45LHj41qfz5j8o1_500.png

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'm loving the game but I find it hard to play for more than a few stages because my hand keeps cramping up. I think it mostly has to do with holding the system with my left hand while also making The Claw with my thumb on the pad and my finger on the L button. And I have very large hands as well. Using the stand helps, but I never feel I'm in the right position for the 3D unless I lean over uncomfortably.

Are there any accessories for the 3DS that add good grips to the system for big handed people like me?

Nyko make some great batteries that also makes 3DS more ergonomic to hold.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I know, right! I tried playing the new Saints Row 3 DLC yesterday and it felt so much slower than usual!

Okay whew, so it's not just me.

I mean, aside from some comfort issues, the touch screen camera dealio works exceptionally well once you've customized it and un-learned dual analog sticks. It's got this "free" feel to it that just works. But damn if there wasn't a steep learning curve.

WallJump

Banned

This was in the controls thread. Comes well recommended.

Lots of people with KI avatars defending the controls in here. I can't believe this wasn't mentioned before "virtual thumb", and "a,x,b,y," analog options (really?). Paying 13 bucks to get a grip helps a lot, even with this grip, the controls on foot are still not great, but the claw-hand basically goes away.

Again:
41AWE8yS3tL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Don't think I could play Starfox or Icarus without this.

It's a little ironic if you ask me. You'd think the clubs would own face on the ground but suck in the air because they have no range or charge shot.
They do, it just takes a lot of time to charge (even the faster ones) and on higher difficulties you need to have decent crowd control capabilities, which they lack. That and some enemies just don't lend themselves very well to being melee'd.

Ugh, I don't think I'll be getting that one.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I don't even do that, I just rest the bottom right corner of the 3DS at the bottom of my palm where the fold of my hand from holding the stylus creates a little grip.

KevinCow

Banned

Not so much for the dual analog stuff, but I was playing Dead Space 2 and kept wanting to smash the stick to run, dodge, and do power attacks. Having all those things mapped to just the slide pad was confusing and weird at first, but I've grown to really like it.

McNum

Well, I beat the first chapter. Good fun. The game is hilarious, the How to Play section breaks the 4th wall so much. Like Pit remembering a move from that game... Super Bash Sisters? If the rest of the game is like that, it'll be fun.

But I can see the controls will take some getting used to. Not THAT much getting used to, though. It's just mouse and keyboard with the touchscreen subbing in for the mouse.

That said, I could use a few tips on how to optimize that a bit. I find the deadzone on land a bit too large. I played Metroid Prime 3 with no deadzone whatsoever, and I'd kind of like Pit to do work the same. Or at least start turning around earlier than he does. Can you configure the deadzone? I haven't found it. I did rebind D-Pad Up to Align Camera. For when I need to face in Pit's direction immediately, and not worry about the touchscreen. It's a stopgap solution, but it'll come in handy in platforming and pressure situations, I'm sure.

Oh, can Pit jump, by the way?

Also, my eyes are telling me that they're happy for me that I can see the 3D now, but if I would kindly knock it off for a while. Still not quite used to it.

Top Bottom