• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Boney

Banned
Well, I beat the first chapter. Good fun. The game is hilarious, the How to Play section breaks the 4th wall so much. Like Pit remembering a move from that game... Super Bash Sisters? If the rest of the game is like that, it'll be fun.

But I can see the controls will take some getting used to. Not THAT much getting used to, though. It's just mouse and keyboard with the touchscreen subbing in for the mouse.

That said, I could use a few tips on how to optimize that a bit. I find the deadzone on land a bit too large. I played Metroid Prime 3 with no deadzone whatsoever, and I'd kind of like Pit to do work the same. Or at least start turning around earlier than he does. Can you configure the deadzone? I haven't found it. I did rebind D-Pad Up to Align Camera. For when I need to face in Pit's direction immediately, and not worry about the touchscreen. It's a stopgap solution, but it'll come in handy in platforming and pressure situations, I'm sure.

Oh, can Pit jump, by the way?

Also, my eyes are telling me that they're happy for me that I can see the 3D now, but if I would kindly knock it off for a while. Still not quite used to it.

Completely disagree with the bolded, which is why I think this game actually controls well unlike the DS FPS. Swiping the screen fast to turn a general direction is second nature now and the dead zone is there no not cause unnecesary twitchy movements. I don't think there's a way to make the dead zone smaller which makes the face button aiming really weird as well.

And Pit can jump or jump and glide with different powerups.

eXistor

The controls really are second nature now, the time they were somewhat of an issue is long gone. Anyway I've been absolutely addicted to breeding weapons. I've still got one or two weapons to unlock in the game, but after that it's on to higher difficulties (I'm averaging 6-7 now). 9 is still kicking my ass (except chapter 1, that one I breezed through surprisingly).

NEO0MJ

So frustrated. I almost reach the boss or the end of the flying section at intensity 9 and then the last enemy guarding the gate kills me. Every time.

KevinCow

Banned
That said, I could use a few tips on how to optimize that a bit. I find the deadzone on land a bit too large. I played Metroid Prime 3 with no deadzone whatsoever, and I'd kind of like Pit to do work the same. Or at least start turning around earlier than he does. Can you configure the deadzone? I haven't found it. I did rebind D-Pad Up to Align Camera. For when I need to face in Pit's direction immediately, and not worry about the touchscreen. It's a stopgap solution, but it'll come in handy in platforming and pressure situations, I'm sure.

Learn to make use of the swiping technique, and you won't ever need the align camera button. There are some weaknesses in the control scheme - circle strafing in particular is pretty tough - but being able to turn quickly by swiping and then fine tune your aim with the stylus is probably its biggest strength.

Oh, can Pit jump, by the way?

There are a few powers that let you jump, and there are some very specific points in the game where you can do a Zelda auto jump. Other than that, though, only with jump pads.

Korosenai

I got to the
great reaper
on chapter 4 on 9 intensity, got it's head glowing orange, then I died.

dawson_crying.gif

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It seems to be controversial to say controls are good, but I like them A LOT. I wouldn't trade the hectic pace of KI for a more confortable control set up. Controls are as nervous as responsive once you get used to it, and this nervous pace is what gives the game the arcade feeling I love.

WallJump

Banned
Learn to make use of the swiping technique, and you won't ever need the align camera button. There are some weaknesses in the control scheme - circle strafing in particular is pretty tough - but being able to turn quickly by swiping and then fine tune your aim with the stylus is probably its biggest strength.

I will say that I have never used the align camera button because I haven't needed it.

McNum adjust your swiping preferences in the options and get used to the feel of a 180 spin using the stylus. You'll never look back.

McNum

I suppose the idea is to not circle strafe while shooting. Just use Dash to keep out of trouble. (Or to get INTO trouble.) I'll try to learn the swipe and aim method.

There are a few powers that let you jump, and there are some very specific points in the game where you can do a Zelda auto jump. Other than that, though, only with jump pads.

Thought so. Guess jumping isn't needed much, then.

The air battles are pretty much Sin and Punishment, though. I expect to be batting projectiles back at the enemies at some point now.

Well, I beat the first chapter. Good fun. The game is hilarious, the How to Play section breaks the 4th wall so much. Like Pit remembering a move from that game... Super Bash Sisters? If the rest of the game is like that, it'll be fun.

Glad you're enjoying it! Don't worry, the rest of the game has the same brand of meta humour, and it just gets better and better. A quick tip for later in the game: Find out which of the 9 weapon types you feel the most comfortable with (I'm a fan of Blades myself), as the weapon you choose will determine everything about your playstyle.

McNum

I will say that I have never used the align camera button because I haven't needed it.

McNum adjust your swiping preferences in the options and get used to the feel of a 180 spin using the stylus. You'll never look back.
Ahhh, I get it now. Just turned it up a bit so a fast swipe near the edge is a 270-ish degree spin. Swipe, stop, aim, shoot. Less than a second to do. Tried turning on Aim Assist, too, but no way. As it is, the reticule is pretty much 1:1 with the touch screen. I'll have to lift the stylus a lot more if it moves on its own. Besides, with accuracy like this, auto aim is kind of... eh.

Oh, are the cards you get with the game random? I didn't get a Palutena, but I did get a Pit, Dark Pit and Magnus. And that boss from chapter 1.

The air battles are pretty much Sin and Punishment, though. I expect to be batting projectiles back at the enemies at some point now.

The batting mechanic is there from the get-go; if you air dodge across a projectile it will be flung back out into space. The other ways you'll figure out soon enough. The mechanic is simpler than S&P's
and, much like the air battles themselves, the game plays like a lesser S&P with poorer controls,
but it works well enough in context.

I haven't read any of the Iwata Asks, but there's no way the team wasn't at least strongly influenced by Sin & Punishment. Running along the ground during air battles even increases your score counter!

Boney

Banned
Ahhh, I get it now. Just turned it up a bit so a fast swipe near the edge is a 270-ish degree spin. Swipe, stop, aim, shoot. Less than a second to do. Tried turning on Aim Assist, too, but no way. As it is, the reticule is pretty much 1:1 with the touch screen. I'll have to lift the stylus a lot more if it moves on its own. Besides, with accuracy like this, auto aim is kind of... eh.

Oh, are the cards you get with the game random? I didn't get a Palutena, but I did get a Pit, Dark Pit and Magnus. And that boss from chapter 1.

Auto Aim is great at correcting your shots. iirc it helps with verticality.

Boogiepop

Just 9.0'd level 1, and ALMOST got level 7 (got to the
moving platform
part and then died due to falling doing so much damage. Bleh.) At least I got the
see all forms
box out of it.

Anyway, anyone have a method for farming up Centurion Assists? I'm up to 5, but I need 10, and I really don't want to have to go through levels that have them enough times to get it.

Anyway, anyone have a method for farming up Centurion Assists? I'm up to 5, but I need 10, and I really don't want to have to go through levels that have them enough times to get it.

How far are you in the main game? There are several levels with one, it should eventually complete itself automatically if you go for the other achievements.

Just completed the game!! :D This is easily the best 3DS game out so far and possibly on the best handheld games ever. I look forward to making a crack at all of the achievements etc

Re: Chapter 24. Does Sakurai have a thing for a really long penultimate levels? And that final battle with Hades! So intense, and the music! :D Loved how Medusa came back.As I watched the credits I couldn't help but think Sakurai has helped to craft a hero whose more lovable and heroic than Mario or Link!

I'd love to see what Sakurai could do with a script for SSB IV. I hope he takes a lot of inspiration from KI when he's developing it!

How late do I need to stay awake to slay an evil holy guy?
Ha, it took me a second with the new avatar. I'm not liking the KI match-making whatsoever. MKWii and MK7 were much better but Sakurai seems to have applied his Smash Brothers online model to this game and I hate it.

I see at least 5 people in my friend list at any given time during the day playing KI but I can never seem to join any of them. I'm going to start keeping a closer eye on the thread so if anyone has a game going be sure to post here first.

McNum

Well, 2nd chapter down. Got a bow now. So the difference from blades is that bows are homing? Well that could be useful. I don't think it does as much damage, though. Unless I dash, then shoot a charged shot. Pit looks kind of cool when doing that.

And Palutena is quickly becoming one of my favorite Nintendo characters. I'm not sure if she's the Goddess of Light or of sarcasm. And snarky commentary. And a bit of trolling.

Boney

Banned
Ha, it took me a second with the new avatar. I'm not liking the KI match-making whatsoever. MKWii and MK7 were much better but Sakurai seems to have applied his Smash Brothers online model to this game and I hate it.

I see at least 5 people in my friend list at any given time during the day playing KI but I can never seem to join any of them. I'm going to start keeping a closer eye on the thread so if anyone has a game going be sure to post here first.

I'm pretty sure it marks like "connected to the network" when you're just playing single player or something.

I'm pretty sure it marks like "connected to the network" when you're just playing single player or something.

It says SOLO when your playing single player. I see people playing Light vs Dark or FFA and I still can't join.

It may be that there's no lobby or queue system for if the room is full where MK7 just holds you in place until a slot opens up. I'd prefer to wait as opposed to always having to play with strangers.
Palutena > Liara T'Soni and Lightning as 2012's Ali Hillis voice role of the year
I had no idea she did all of those but now I hear it and my mind is blown.

McNum

Palutena > Liara T'Soni and Lightning as 2012's Ali Hillis voice role of the year
Wait, what? Same voice actor for Liara and Palutena? I didn't even notice. Then again, Liara is pretty much perpetually out of breath. Palutena is bright and cheery.

I'm amazed at how everyone just keeps talking in the game. Does it keep doing that? Because if it does, then Nintendo has worked some compression magic to fit this game onto a card.

Prinny

That's because, unlike Mario Kart, you can't join someone playing a 'worldwide' game.
Creating a 'with friend' game is the only way to play with friend :(

FLAguy954

My brother was having an argument with me.

He hasn't played Kid Icarus but he proceeds to call the game an action-adventure game with shooter elements. I disagree. Rather, I think that the game is mainly a third person shooter situated in the action adventure sub-genre. Especially considering that shooting is an integral part of gameplay.

What do you guys think?

That's because, unlike Mario Kart, you can't join someone playing a 'worldwide' game.
Creating a 'with friend' game is the only way to play with friend :(

That would explain it and I hate it. Where do I start the campaign to have Nintendo patch that?

The inabilty to message someone playing in WW doesn't help either.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

He hasn't played Kid Icarus but he proceeds to call the game an action-adventure game with shooter elements. I disagree. Rather, I think that the game is mainly a third person shooter situated in the action adventure sub-genre. Especially considering that shooting is an integral part of gameplay.

What do you guys think?

It's a 3rd person shooter unless you are using clubs or claws

hatchx

Banned

What do you guys think?

Can a third person shooter not be an action-adventure? Does action adventure strictly = swords/medieval?

I don't know.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

What do you guys think?

I would not call this an action-adventure at all, the levels are pretty much all linear with very minor branches to treasure and secrets. Its basically a score-attack action game.

Ugh, don't even get me started on that. It would help team play soo much.

Sakurai probably thought that would be unfair. Imagine if we could coordinate and combo our powers and items? It would be like playing dominos but we know our partners hand.

In other words it needs to happen.

Bullza2o

That would explain it and I hate it. Where do I start the campaign to have Nintendo patch that?

The inabilty to message someone playing in WW doesn't help either.

It's possible to patch it so I can join my friend's random matches right? Please make it happen, Nintendo!

Top Bottom