• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

StAidan

Haha, I feel like an idiot. Chapter
spoilers.

I started chapter 17 (Aurum Brain) on intensity 6.0, as is my habit when doing a level I've never played before. Did all right all the way up to the boss, where I proceeded to die several times firing away at Pyrron in his shielded state, wondering why the heck he was such a bullet sponge.

Didn't figure out I had to deactivate the shield until I'd been knocked all the way down to 2.5 intensity. *cry*

Tucah

you speak so well
Haha, I feel like an idiot. Chapter
spoilers.

I started chapter 17 (Aurum Brain) on intensity 6.0, as is my habit when doing a level I've never played before. Did all right all the way up to the boss, where I proceeded to die several times firing away at Pyrron in his shielded state, wondering why the heck he was such a bullet sponge.

Didn't figure out I had to deactivate the shield until I'd been knocked all the way down to 2.5 intensity. *cry*

I went from 6.0 to 3.0 for the same reason. :(

I seem to have major trouble with beating intensity 9 chapters. I've got the 1st one but the rest either knock me to 8 or 7 eventually some time in the chapter.

There seems to be a lot of fellas here able to complete these chapters on 9.

What types of weapons are you using? I assume staves for long range sniping. Or are there claw based players?

What are the stats to look for? What are the broken stats for beating these? A lot of shot defense? Evasion? Overall defense? Do I worry about the star damage for ranged/melee or focus on mid level stars and really broken stats?

At the item level cap I've seem to hit 320ish, it is either ridiculous extra stats or full ranged/melee stars.

Also what are the broken powers for these chapters?

Busaiku

What are the stats to look for? What are the broken stats for beating these? A lot of shot defense? Evasion? Overall defense? Do I worry about the star damage for ranged/melee or focus on mid level stars and really broken stats?

Evasion and In-Peril Auto Dodge are really good.
Air Battles are sometimes the harder things at 9.0.

mjc

Chapter 18 spoiler:

I really enjoyed playing as Magnus. I kinda would have liked the onfoot segments to be with him the whole game....

Chapter 18 spoiler:

I really enjoyed playing as Magnus. I kinda would have liked the onfoot segments to be with him the whole game....

There's a wep for that:

Magnus_Club.png

Roto13

Chapter 18 spoiler:

That level did not gel with my usual playstyle at all. :p I've been using a pretty sweet staff since I somehow randomly got it early in the game. I'm not used to melee attacks.

Tuck

Chapter 18 spoiler:

Great chapter.
Several surprising plot twists, and it broke from the norm significantly.

EDIT: StAiden: Did the EXACT same thing. Damn it!

DGRE

Banned
Great games guys. It's nice to finally play against people that know how to counter clubs. =) (I'm Daniel).

Edit: OFFTOPIC - do we know the max number a modifier can be? Is it +5?

Croc

Banned
Great games guys. It's nice to finally play against people that know how to counter clubs. =) (I'm Daniel).

Edit: OFFTOPIC - do we know the max number a modifier can be? Is it +5?

I have a Bomber Arm with +6 health, so it's not 5.

Boney

Banned
I think I saw a +7 on a weapon of mine.

Was a crap stat though

I could totally be lying though, as my brain doesn't really work well.

Inkwell

Banned
I can't tell you how many times I've tried to move Pit and accidentally dashed off of a ledge. In a row. It happened like 5 or 6 times in the same spot last time I played. I feel incredibly incompetent and stupid when I try to play this game.

I can't tell you how many times I've tried to move Pit and accidentally dashed off of a ledge. In a row. It happened like 5 or 6 times in the same spot last time I played. I feel incredibly incompetent and stupid when I try to play this game.

In some ways I feel happy I'm left handed and use buttons for this exact reason. It's so easy to press every button and Pit just La de da's off a cliff.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Improved with time for me, but it's never 'perfect'.

olimpia84

It happened to me a lot as well. Very annoying.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't stand this game. The actual act of playing ground levels is so damn tedious. I'm not a fan of the pacing, either. The "level select->flying->foot->level select" thing isn't working for me at all.

The controls just aren't good enough. Maybe I'm wrong, and the controls are fine, and the blame instead lies with the enemy encounter design, but I suspect it's probably a bit of both. The action-loop feels completely amateurish. I always feel a level removed from being completely involved in the action, probably because I'm wrestling with Pitt or his weird car thing, or I'm being distracted by having to change positions because my wrist is getting sore. It feels like a game designed in a vacuum. So little care was placed on how an end-user might actually access the content. It's mind-boggling.

Croc

Banned
It's soooo bad for me in
that lava level, I think chapter 10
. Towards the beginning on higher difficulties when I'm walking around or dodging I almost always end up accidentally steppin' a foot in and taking a bunch of damage.

KarmaCow

I was just playing chapter 8 and kept fall off the edge just trying to move after sniping with my staff. Frankly I don't understand the logic behind making some paths have invisible guard railings while having others just let you fall to your death.

RagnarokX

I can't stand this game. The actual act of playing ground levels is so damn tedious. I'm not a fan of the pacing, either. The "level select->flying->foot->level select" thing isn't working for me at all.

The controls just aren't good enough. Maybe I'm wrong, and the controls are fine, and the blame instead lies with the enemy encounter design, but I suspect it's probably a bit of both. The action-loop feels completely amateurish. I always feel a level removed from being completely involved in the action, probably because I'm wrestling with Pitt or his weird car thing, or I'm being distracted by having to change positions because my wrist is getting sore. It feels like a game designed in a vacuum. So little care was placed on how an end-user might actually access the content. It's mind-boggling.

I guess you'll just have to join Gravijah on the island of misfit gamers. The ship departs tomorrow.

Seriously though, the controls are fine and the levels make you feel like an actiony badass. They just have a steep learning curve. The exo tank legitimately sucks ass, though.

ultron87

It's soooo bad for me in
that lava level, I think chapter 10
. Towards the beginning on higher difficulties when I'm walking around or dodging I almost always end up accidentally steppin' a foot in and taking a bunch of damage.

I just did that level for the first time. I dashed into lava a lot. It burned.

Jintor

Again, dash controls are the worst part of the controls (outside of the ergonomics of the system itself)

nullset2

I'm not playing this game (I desperately want to get a 3DS for myself just for this game, that's how sweet it deems from what I've read in the thread), but I've been thinking: don't you think that the best unexpected thing from this game is how Sakurai's team can now apparently implement good, actually functional netcode in their games?

The next Smash Bros. is gonna be insane!

Korosenai

I'm not playing this game (I desperately want to get a 3DS for myself just for this game, that's how sweet it deems from what I've read in the thread), but I've been thinking: don't you think that the best unexpected thing from this game is how Sakurai's team can now apparently implement good, actually functional netcode in their games?

The next Smash Bros. is gonna be insane!
That was my initial thoughts as well. I'm really excited to see what they can do for smash bros. 3d online.

SmithnCo

Well it would be hard to not demolish Brawl's horrible online with the next Smash. :p

But I think it's a good sign. I really hope they implement lobbies and groups.

PkunkFury

I was just playing chapter 8 and kept fall off the edge just trying to move after sniping with my staff. Frankly I don't understand the logic behind making some paths have invisible guard railings while having others just let you fall to your death.

Yeah, this was a huge problem for me... You can never tell what ledges will allow you to fall vs. which ones will block you. It makes exploring a real pain.

For my first play through I had the same problem others are voicing, where I would move Pit from standing and dash right off a cliff or into an obstacle. Eventually I learned to tap the analog pad, rather than pull it all the way in a single direction, keeping Pit in the walking animation until I was sure of my surroundings. With most games, you never use the intermediary motion speeds, but with KI, going from stand to a side dash is a recipe for disaster

And for a game with cagey controls, they sure throw a lot of narrow ledges, platforming, and electrified walls at you.

I found the dashing to be way more trouble than the camera control/stylus stuff that gets a lot of flak. Especially since the combat is designed around dashing to dodge enemy fire and activate your best attacks. Fighting a hoard of enemies on a tiny platform with no walls, or while surrounded by electric fence ruins the combat mechanics

Fortunately, the multiplayer arenas are large, flat and allow for the best application of the combat controls. Also, the game still manages to be awesome

Boogiepop

Any idea when exactly the gems go out for spotpass? For the week, if I want WiFi I have to physically turn it on, so if it's in the middle of the night I can't really do anything about it.

Also, as someone's been saying throughout the thread, the exotank controls work when you ignore the stylus and just use the stick (/buttons). It's really weird but true.

Edit:

Oh, and I almost 9.0'd level 3, but that damn part with
the pillar guy and the "hey look at me" guy at the VERY end got me. The distraction guy screwed up my dodging around the pillar guy's lasers and that was it. Grr...
And does anyone know a short chapter for Centurion assists, or something to that effect? If I can get that one and even a single SpotPass gem I can clear the Palutena board by using my feathers for the pointlessly frustrating ones (Crisis Mode, gem fusion/trading).

Can anyone explain clashing? I'm still trying to figure it out. Does it work like rock, paper, etc?

I saw in the random tips that its determined by the weight of the weapon. Usually this means the faster weapon, like claws, wins clashing.
Sometimes though, you might lose sight of the enemy as they whip around the screen, which makes you attack the air and they attack you as you miss. My rough explanation.

Also for the post above me, Centurion assists in mutiplayer DO count. You could always try your hand at that.

Glix

Every few days I come in here to post how awesome this game is. So good. I'm so happy. I even play onine multi ALL THE TIME, and I never play much onlne multi in anything

Jintor

There's this bit in Thanatos' palace where you're on a moving platform and being shot at and it's nearly impossible to dodge anything without plunging off the side. That was a total pain with a short-range arm weapon, let me tell you.

KevinCow

Banned
The controls just aren't good enough. Maybe I'm wrong, and the controls are fine, and the blame instead lies with the enemy encounter design, but I suspect it's probably a bit of both. The action-loop feels completely amateurish.

I can't really argue with whether or not you like the controls, but I don't really understand what you mean by this.

What's wrong with the enemy encounter design? I think they do a good job at keeping things interesting. They're frequently introducing new enemies with new attack patterns and weaknesses and throwing them at you in different groups.

And I don't really know what you mean by "the action-loop feels completely amateurish" either. It's about shooting when you see an opening, knowing when to stop shooting so you can get invincibility on your dodge, and knowing when to use dash shots and charge shots.

I can't really say you're wrong for not liking the controls, but I will say that you're wrong on the fidelity of the controls. There are some weird quirks - see the current discussion about dashing off ledges, for example. But it's also the kind of game where I could easily see someone mastering it to the point where they can beat it on the hardest difficulty without getting hit.

DGRE

Banned
Another dumb question. What does the wreath mean if it's green or gold? I totally can't figure out a pattern.

Honestly I would not bother discussing the controls in this thread. Some people refuse to listen and it's quite embarrassing.
But luckily for me, I am a big sucker for Sakurai and the controls don't get in the way of my love for this game, although I definitely see how it could for others.

Riposte

Controls are pretty okay, maybe a little rough, in single player. It is in multiplayer where I start to really dislike them. The game runs about ten times faster and with much smarter enemies lol.

EDIT: This game really needs a radar or full on map in multiplayer.

Boogiepop

Does anyone remember any of the chapters that definitely have the centurion assist item? Would be a big help.

As would narrowing down around when Nintendo sends out the gems by SpotPass.

Top Bottom