• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

DGRE

Banned
Does anyone remember any of the chapters that definitely have the centurion assist item? Would be a big help.

As would narrowing down around when Nintendo sends out the gems by SpotPass.

I just saw one in lvl 8. But I played through a second time and it wasn't there. It comes from a treasurefish pretty close to the boss.

How about this, does anyone know how to get the
Palutena Blade?

Neiteio

I've clocked over 60 hours now. Flawless masterpiece, this game. Went out and bought a copy for my super-casual brother and he's hooked too. He described the combat as "savage" -- he loves the back and forth and the hard-hitting impact of a charge shot while dodging out of harm's way. Incredible action -- I can't get enough!

backlot

I just saw one in lvl 8. But I played through a second time and it wasn't there. It comes from a treasurefish pretty close to the boss.

Palutena Blade?

Beat chapter 9 in under 28 minutes

Palutena Blade?

That's a weapon you have to unlock.
Specifically by completing chapter 9 within 28 minutes.

EDIT: Doh, beaten!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I could be more specific, I realise the complaints are super-vague.

Playing this game feels like watching a movie that's coming in and out of focus at random intervals, or something. I can, for all intents and purposes, kind of work out what's going on and what they're trying to do, but for the most part I'm still very aware that I'm sitting in a theater watching a movie because I'm being CONSTANTLY reminded that I'm watching film on the screen that was shot with cameras, rather than being immersed in the story and the presentation.

This game is filled with stuff that trigger this reaction. The controls, the way you have to hold the system, turning on the 3D when you're holding the system (maintaining a completely straight-screen all the time when using the stylus/left-hand setup seems near impossible to me, but maybe I'm just "doing it wrong"), mapping the stylus pointer to a thinner bottom screen than the wider top screen and putting stuff on the bottom screen when they know damn well the game is so fast paced you're never going to look down there (else your hand/stylus is covering it) all take me out of the experience of playing the game.

I have some other complaints, specifically about how it seems there are some weapon types that seem broken against certain enemies, but that might just be my lack of experience. I've only played through chapter five.

I also think the overall art direction and enemy design is a little too scatter-shot. I don't latch onto anything because it all feels so tonally mismatched when put next to one another, each world might as well just be a series of colorful hallways. this complaint, again, is kind of vague and may be the result of only having played a few levels.

It's so completely different than anything else I've played recently. I really want to like games that try to be something out of the ordinary. It feels ballsy and fresh and it slaps you in the face with a clear "fuck you!" authorial intent/vision (major point of endearment for me regarding anything, see something like God Hand). But it seems to me that the net result of all of these things is ultimately a negative thanks to a complete disregard for practicality of control.

I don't know, maybe I'm rambling and still being super vague, but the tldr of it is that I should like this game, and it genuinely disappoints me that I don't. I haven't been this disappointed in a game in a while.

Gravijah

I don't know, maybe I'm rambling and still being super vague, but the tldr of it is that I should like this game, and it genuinely disappoints me that I don't. I haven't been this disappointed in a game in a while.

i feel your pain.

OmegaZero

Just gotta say, playing through the stages at 9.0 has really given me an appreciation for this game. I just finished the fight with
Phosphora
and it felt awesome, with both of us zipping all over the place and the boss increasing its attack frequency near the end, forcing me to concentrate on counter-attacking and dodging.

The only thing that compares it playing multiplayer and doing the little dodge dance with someone's melee attacks.

Honestly, the only way this kind of combat would work with dual-analogs is with a lock-on system. Just using the second stick to control the camera would either be too slow and unresponsive or too fast and slippery.
I guess you could say the controls finally "clicked" for me, even though I've never had any problems using them until now.

EDIT: I can also see where Rez and Gravijah are coming from. This is a love-it or hate-it game for sure.

sfried

Playing this game feels like watching a movie that's coming in and out of focus at random intervals, or something. I can, for all intents and purposes, kind of work out what's going on and what they're trying to do, but for the most part I'm still very aware that I'm sitting in a theater watching a movie because I'm being CONSTANTLY reminded that I'm watching film on the screen that was shot with cameras, rather than being immersed in the story and the presentation.
I take it you're not a fan of Quentin Tarantino?

I, for one, love how this game does not aim to be anything but a game. It will constantly break the fourth wall just for kicks at times, but for me its the challenege that really immerses me. Another thing to point out is that it does have a storyline going on, but you only pick up bits and pieces of it only only at the end do they make sense. It's not like Hideo Kojima when he tries to mimic his favorite movies. Here, it's like mimicing the best parts of other video games. It embraces this matter freely and completely.

I disagree that the art direction and enemy design is scatter shot, because...well, the original enemy designs were scattershot to begin with. I like how there is some logic with their design to: Take the Eggplant Wizard and Tempura Wizard. One can stun you and disable you, while the other can stun and disable you and even give you an instant kill.

So while I guess my stance will be "take it or leave it", I'm sorry you found the game so disappointing, because I still am certainly having a fun time with it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
just to clarify, I didn't mean the game should be more movie-like or have a story or anything like that, it was just a (probably poor) analogy.

I have over 50 hours into the game now and I still can't get enough of it. There's just so much to do.
You and me both, I've been playing alot of multiplayer recently and taking my time with the single player, replaying older levels, taking in the atmosphere of each.

I have not appreciated a game on so many levels in a long time.

I haven't heard much love for the Great Reaper Palm....that and my Pandora Claws are my multi go to's. Can't wait to see what weapons I unlock as I go along :)

KevinCow

Banned
mapping the stylus pointer to a thinner bottom screen than the wider top screen

On this, I'll say that you should crank the sensitivity up. The default sensitivity feels like they were trying to make your stylus motion 1:1 with cursor movement. I don't know why this is the default. It's awful. You have to move your hand far more than necessary, and as you state, it makes it feel weird that the bottom screen is a different shape than the top screen. Crank the sensitivity to max, and you have to move your hand half as much, and the difference in screen width makes no difference.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
This game is truly freaking amazing. Last session I tried to get new achievements and increase the hearts I own.

Only level that I've been able to beat on 9.0 is the first one with a Taurus Arm. I won't stop until I get at least 95% of what this game has to offer.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
On this, I'll say that you should crank the sensitivity up. The default sensitivity feels like they were trying to make your stylus motion 1:1 with cursor movement. I don't know why this is the default. It's awful. You have to move your hand far more than necessary, and as you state, it makes it feel weird that the bottom screen is a different shape than the top screen. Crank the sensitivity to max, and you have to move your hand half as much, and the difference in screen width makes no difference.

I'll try this! Thanks.

Hale-XF11

You and me both, I've been playing alot of multiplayer recently and taking my time with the single player, replaying older levels, taking in the atmosphere of each.
Yeah, multiplayer (especially LvD) gets better and better the more I play it. I've been having some of the most epic matches ever lately. With all the powers and weapon choices, the battles become so incredibly dynamic, especially on different stages. Speaking of which, I wonder how many multi-player stages there are anyways. I keep wondering if I haven't unlocked them all yet. It's exciting to think that there might be more that I haven't even seen yet and they're all a blast to play on.

I haven't heard much love for the Great Reaper Palm....that and my Pandora Claws are my multi go to's. Can't wait to see what weapons I unlock as I go along :)

I used the GP Palm for a bit and loved it. I like how if you have a nice dash power up on it, you can get that reaper to circle around your opponent and do some serious damage. I love that. Haven't used it in a while though, since I recently acquired a Divine Bow with a value of 327, great range and some serious powers.

I freakin love this game.

Yeah, it's easily set to beat out all of my other 3DS games for total game time fairly soon, no doubt. Games like this burn real slow, but hot.

Korosenai

Yeah, it's easily set to beat out all of my other 3DS games for total game time fairly soon, no doubt. Games like this burn real slow, but hot.

Yea I've got 6 other 3ds games and it's already beat them all out. The only game I have more playtime in on my 3ds is Pokemon Black with over 100 hours.

I used the GP Palm for a bit and loved it. I like how if you have a nice dash power up on it, you can get that reaper to circle around your opponent and do some serious damage. I love that. Haven't used it in a while though, since I recently acquired a Divine Bow with a value of 327, great range and some serious powers.

I haven't found a bow I can use well yet. I thought they were supposed to be great at homing but mine seem to be lacking in that dept.

On an unrelated note, my bf and I were trying to get into a match online together with random players, we both searched at the same time Nd ended up on the same team in a Random LvD battle.
Further tests were met with frustration however as we could not seem to land in the same game after that.
I wonder if the game wants to match you up with your online friends but usually the rooms are full and so you're separated......

I'm not too sure but I wish you could join in a random match online with friends.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
turning on the 3D when you're holding the system (maintaining a completely straight-screen all the time when using the stylus/left-hand setup seems near impossible to me,
I've tried the 3d a few times and I completely agree with this - it's almost impossible for me to maintain the effect while playing, and it ends up being a nuisance. It's off 100% of the time now.

I just got this game and I'm up to Chapter 5.

I have to say the controls haven't been a nightmare to work with. The camera/cursor is a bit unresponsive sometimes but it really isn't that bad otherwise.

I can't stand this game. The actual act of playing ground levels is so damn tedious. I'm not a fan of the pacing, either. The "level select->flying->foot->level select" thing isn't working for me at all.

The controls just aren't good enough. Maybe I'm wrong, and the controls are fine, and the blame instead lies with the enemy encounter design, but I suspect it's probably a bit of both. The action-loop feels completely amateurish. I always feel a level removed from being completely involved in the action, probably because I'm wrestling with Pitt or his weird car thing, or I'm being distracted by having to change positions because my wrist is getting sore. It feels like a game designed in a vacuum. So little care was placed on how an end-user might actually access the content. It's mind-boggling.
Interesting, I feel the complete opposite. This is a game that completely involves me like only few did.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
When I look back at the past generation, I've had a crush on few games: MotorStorm 1 & 2, Excite Truck, Uncharted 2 and PES Wii. I voted for all these as my GOTY on GAF.

Why did I like these more than others? They seemingly have nothing in common.
Except for the pace: they all offer a frantic gameplay.

And this is why I love Kid Icarus so much. The game that will dethrone KI from my GOTY vote will have to be glorious.

RagnarokX

When I look back at the past generation, I've had a crush on few games: MotorStorm 1 & 2, Excite Truck, Uncharted 2 and PES Wii. I voted for all these as my GOTY on GAF.

Why did I like these more than others? They seemingly have nothing in common.
Except for the pace: they all offer a frantic gameplay.

And this is why I love Kid Icarus so much. The game that will dethrone KI from my GOTY vote will have to be glorious.

What if WiiU launches with a new Mario game that makes Mario Galaxy look tame? :p

PKrockin

What if WiiU launches with a new Mario game that makes Mario Galaxy look tame? :p

I hope so. I miss the incredible, fast-paced ninja plumber you could play in Mario 64. It's like Mario put on a couple dozen pounds and lost his youthful vigor between then and Galaxy.

RagnarokX

I hope so. I miss the incredible, fast-paced ninja plumber you could play in Mario 64. It's like Mario put on a couple dozen pounds and lost his youthful vigor between then and Galaxy.

I think we played different Mario 64s, but whatever :p

Mario was most athletic in Sunshine, and that game was terrible... not necessarily because of that, just sayin :p

Grampasso

Loving the game so far, only got through the first three chapters (replaying them for better loot). I find curious how the best weapon for me is still the one I got on my second run in the first chapter at 3.0 (a 215lv Fortune Bow). Maybe it's just that I feel very comfortable with the bow, though I got a 225 one with different stats but performing much worse than the first one. It's a dream paradox!

pramath

Banned
So every time I play random multiplayer, I don't get to choose what stage I want to play on.
Tried local multiplayer (all bots), and still did not get to choose a stage.
So my question is, does the game just randomly select a stage for every multiplayer match without allowing us all to vote? Because if so... that seems awfully strange and weirdly limiting.

So every time I play random multiplayer, I don't get to choose what stage I want to play on.
Tried local multiplayer (all bots), and still did not get to choose a stage.
So my question is, does the game just randomly select a stage for every multiplayer match without allowing us all to vote? Because if so... that seems awfully strange and weirdly limiting.

There's no stage voting.
Only the host can choose which stage to play on. So it's either a random stage or a stage set by the host.
If you are the host, look in the options menu (blue button at the top of the touch screen) where you can select a stage to play on.

There are some stages which I would love to not play on (basically because of the maze-like feeling of these stages).
But I'm still fine with it.

pramath

Banned
There's no stage voting.
Only the host can choose which stage to play on. So it's either a random stage or a stage set by the host.
If you are the host, look in the options menu (blue button at the top of the touch screen) where you can select a stage to play on.

There are some stages which I would love to not play on (basically because of the maze-like feeling of these stages).
But I'm still fine with it.

Hmm, that seems odd. Why would they remove a feature as relatively harmless (and incredibly useful and user friendly) as stage voting?
Also, can I unlock more stages?

The Hermit

Someone posted a weapon with + 8 something. Btw for everyone that isn't conecting with it, take a break of 2 weeks at least. Itworked for me with donkey kong country returns

Nibel

Playing the game with the stand works perfect for me - seriously, after 10 minutes I got used to the game and I think I'm pretty great at it.

Need to Play more.

I've just got the game, any tips in regards to loot, weapon choices/fusion and magic choices?

Try everything, find out what works for you. That's more important than having the most powerful single weapon.

Also, take the game at your own pace, replay levels, try different difficulties, get used to the controls.

eXistor

I'm addicted to using my Hedgehog Claws, they're so damn satisfying to use and the +3 speed my current ones have is so nice for dashing through levels. Is there another weapon with similar attack speed or is this the fastest weapon in the game?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'm addicted to using my Hedgehog Claws, they're so damn satisfying to use and the +3 speed my current ones have is so nice for dashing through levels. Is there another weapon with similar attack speed or is this the fastest weapon in the game?

What could prevent Nintendo from releasing new weapons on a regular basis? Like a +8 dash weapon for instance :p

DGRE

Banned
You just gotta love the "Get all weapons"-Archivement.

That could take some time. :/

I don't know if this is obvious...I know just unlocking the weapons takes a lot of time, but I have 167 weapons so I have plenty to use for fusion if I need a certain weapon but don't want to lose two others. I got that many weapons by buying anyone weapon 1000 hearts or under in the store after every time I complete a chapter. There are usually two or three and it's really built up my collection. I'm really just waiting on unlocks now.

Top Bottom