• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I've got
Times Played: 70
Total Game Time: 51:48
Total Solo play time: 16:10
Total Together play time: 8:28

I freakin love this game.
Just out of curiosity, where did that total game time come from? You only spent 16 hours in single player and less than 9 hours in multiplayer. Where does the 51:48 figure come from?

KevinCow

Banned
I've just got the game, any tips in regards to loot, weapon choices/fusion and magic choices?

I've seen at least one person swear by each of the nine weapon types throughout this thread, so there's really no correct answer. Just play and experiment to find what fits you. Don't be afraid to mess around in the fusion system, either. New loot is really easy to get, you're not gonna ruin your game if you make a bad fusion here and there. If you see a weapon that looks cool and it doesn't use your main weapon to make, go ahead and check it out.

mèx

Neo Member
Just finished Palutena's treasure hunt!

Oh please, tell me how you did the
"Have a weapon stolen by Pluton"
thing.
I have tried so many times on Chapter
, but I don't seem to get it. Sigh.

eXistor

Just out of curiosity, where did that total game time come from? You only spent 16 hours in single player and less than 9 hours in multiplayer. Where does the 51:48 figure come from?

I'm guessing Weapon fusion, AR card battles, just killing time in menu's etc.

KevinCow

Banned
Oh please, tell me how you did the
"Have a weapon stolen by Pluton"
thing.
I have tried so many times on Chapter
, but I don't seem to get it. Sigh.

He'll steal one of the loot items you've collected in the stage so far. If you've collected weapons and items, he might steal an item, which I guess doesn't count for that challenge. Make sure you've only picked up weapons when you encounter him, and then just stand there and let him hit you.

DGRE

Banned
Yeah I think I've had five stolen and I've never tried specifically. I'm sorry man! That was one I didn't have to think about.

Also, it looks like there are five feathers per hunt. I used all five. There were only two I was never going to complete, because I live in Korea where the 3DS isn't even released yet.

Yeah I think I've had five stolen and I've never tried specifically. I'm sorry man! That was one I didn't have to think about.

Also, it looks like there are five feathers per hunt. I used all five. There were only two I was never going to complete, because I live in Korea where the 3DS isn't even released yet.

So you can use the feathers to unlock certain achievements?
I've never even noticed that.

mèx

Neo Member
He'll steal one of the loot items you've collected in the stage so far. If you've collected weapons and items, he might steal an item, which I guess doesn't count for that challenge. Make sure you've only picked up weapons when you encounter him, and then just stand there and let him hit you.

Thank you, I have just tried and got it!
Only one block to go (
Use a Centurion Assist Item 10 times
).

Great matches online last night for those who played.

I'll be home tonight around 9:30 if anyone wants to do more matches. FC is on the spreadsheet.

Also just unlocked
Viridi's Treasure Hunt
last night. I watched in amazement how I "pre" unlocked most of that stuff already. It was crazy.

I got well over 20 hours on this game before trading it in for Kingdom Hearts 3DS. I nearly unlocked all of Palutena's acheievements (I think I had 6 left), and then I realized that I've pretty much pumped all of the fun out of the game that I could.

Also, Japan gives you 80% of your money back if you trade in within the first week or so :)

Jintor

I'll give you the stats when I finish this boss rush. Just got past the goddamn heart

/edit Sagittarius Bow, Knockback Defence +1, Poison +3, Evasion +1, Backwards-dash Cont-Fire +1, Melee Combo + 2, In-peril autododge+1, 5 star ranged, 3 star melee.

The 3DS can output some power too.
The chapter where you first meet Viridi with the epic scale war going on in the background with the people on the chariots and you seeing solders dying was amazing.
I literally just wanted to replay that stage again. So much going on in the backgrounds.

WallJump

Banned
Beam Claws Upgrade GET (WooHoo!!!)

Value: ~300
Ranged: 5 stars
Melee: 4 stars
+3 Paralyze
+3 Melee Dash Attack
+2 F. Dash Charge Shot
+1 some other stuff

I'm thinking maybe I should keep my 250 pair around just for MP. It has less stars but still has the Melee Dash +3 and Petrify +2 which is pretty boss. Is the difference between 250 and 300 significant in LvD bar allotment?

Next up: time to get a Crusader Blade with Shot Range+ and a speed upgrade.

I'll give you the stats when I finish this boss rush. Just got past the goddamn heart

/edit Sagittarius Bow, Knockback Defence +1, Poison +3, Evasion +1, Backwards-dash Cont-Fire +1, Melee Combo + 2, In-peril autododge+1, 5 star ranged, 3 star melee.

I'll crush you and your wimpy little bow anytime with my awesome, awesome Earthmaul Club. >:O

EDIT: Just for information: I have added all the guys who added themselves to the spreadsheet. If you haven't added yourself to the spreadsheet yet, do it now!
My club needs more souls hugs from different people.

Jintor

Beam Claws Upgrade GET (WooHoo!!!)

Value: ~300
Ranged: 5 stars
Melee: 4 stars
+3 Paralyze
+3 Melee Dash Attack
+2 F. Dash Charge Shot
+1 some other stuff

I'm thinking maybe I should keep my 250 pair around just for MP. It has less stars but still has the Melee Dash +3 and Petrify +2 which is pretty boss. Is the difference between 250 and 300 significant in LvD bar allotment?

Next up: time to get a Crusader Blade with Shot Range+ and a speed upgrade.

I hate you, I've been angling for an even higher tier Beam Claw for ages now...

I'll crush you and your wimpy little bow anytime with my awesome, awesome Earthmaul Club. >:O

Yeah... guess I'll just pull the Magnus Club outta the closet...

Inkwell

Banned

Don't you mean you've been angeling for one?

What's wrong with me :(

By the way, how does circle strafing work exactly? I know you're supposed to keep your cursor on the enemy and dash left or right, but it didn't seem to work for me all the time.

WallJump

Banned
You can use the three sacred treasures on that stage. Tap the helmet to turn off the sacred treasures and use your regular weapon.

I love the banter between Pit and Palutena with the helmet icon toggled off.

Pit just looks at the box, stops for a second, then turns and leaves without them. "Wow, Pit, so you're leaving without the sacred treasures?" "Yeah, I'm good :)"

Damnit Sakurai you are a genius. It's like he thought of EVERYTHING.

The only thing I like more about my old ones was Shot Range +1. It gives about a 25% boost to beam claw range, which is a lot. Regular range is ~38m and Shot Range +1 is ~47m (!). Shot doesn't get weaker with distance either. For claws that's just outrageous. I get the feeling shot range is pretty underrated in single player since it lets you stay out of harm's way.

NeoRausch

By the way, how does circle strafing work exactly? I know you're supposed to keep your cursor on the enemy and dash left or right, but it didn't seem to work for me all the time.
Uh yes, somebody got an answere to this? I can't pull it off either. I always end up with normal strafe and loose enemy focus.

I got well over 20 hours on this game before trading it in for Kingdom Hearts 3DS. I nearly unlocked all of Palutena's acheievements (I think I had 6 left), and then I realized that I've pretty much pumped all of the fun out of the game that I could.

Also, Japan gives you 80% of your money back if you trade in within the first week or so :)

whatswrong8jjhz.gif

Neiteio

In multiplayer last night I tried out a 300+ four-star melee/range Magnus Club with +4 speed and +2 burning (and some other stats I don't recall -- no debuffs, though). I need to get better with it, but I see its potential. I use Transparency x4 and Tirelessness x3 to sprint the length of the arena unseen and try to get the edge on my foes that way. Unfortunately, the theme last night was "EVERYONE SPAM SUPER LASERS AND REFLECTOR SHIELDS" -- there was more cheese than Mahvel at its cheesiest. Not complaining, though; I like a challenge and will adapt my tactics! And of course, I always have my high-200s Viridi Palm with +3 speed to fall back on. The competition is improving, though; I used to always dominate LvD with nearly 2,000 points a match, but club and bow users are on the rise, utilizing more of the offensive powers. Multiplayer is so fantastic.

Uh yes, somebody got an answere to this? I can't pull it off either. I always end up with normal strafe and loose enemy focus.

You have to be close to your opponent. When you're close, just press the stylus to the screen and DON'T MOVE IT.

Now just dash left or right. Try it in practice.

TreIII

Really love this game. After playing around with a face-button inspired scheme for a while, I actually went back to using the default scheme, albeit with using my DSi's longer stylus instead so I avoid cramping. MUCH, MUCH BETTER.

kSt

Silver Bow
Ranged: ★☆
Melee:★★★☆
Value:263

Poison +4
Speed +4
Stamina +3
Side-dash cont. fire +1
Effect duration +3
Overall defense -2

Hit-and-run bow! Well, due to weak attack... mostly run.

Roto13

How do you do that spin dodge in the air sections? It seems to be completely unreliable. I have to smash the circle pad back and forth and it eventually comes out but not reliably. Not great for actually dodging anything.
Really love this game. After playing around with a face-button inspired scheme for a while, I actually went back to using the default scheme, albeit with using my DSi's longer stylus instead so I avoid cramping. MUCH, MUCH BETTER.

The DSi's stylus is shorter than the 3DS one....

Insaniac

How do you do that spin dodge in the air sections? It seems to be completely unreliable. I have to smash the circle pad back and forth and it eventually comes out but not reliably. Not great for actually dodging anything.

The DSi's stylus is shorter than the 3DS one....

I actually found my phantom hourglass quill stylus and it works really well :D

edit: i suppose the feather design is fitting for kid icarus too :)

This is how I do it: move the pad in one direction a little bit, and then "dash" in the other. You can't do it while firing.

This game is pretty great so far. I honestly like the flying parts better than the ground combat though. I'm not a huge fan of the controls but they aren't unbearable.

Roto13

Regarding SpotPass gems: Will they accumulate if I don't check them every day? Like, if I take Kid Icarus out of my 3DS and play something else for ten days, will I have ten gems waiting for me next time I boot it up?

Top Bottom