• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Hale-XF11

This is probably already mentioned in this thread but I discovered something I was really happy about.

I'm a right handed player but even so I put my CPP on my 3DS last night and booted up KI. To my surprise while messing around the options menu, the thing was recognized automatically. But the real find was that the ZR and ZR triggers are just another set of L and R.

Basically I can now play the game as a normal right hander, except my 3DS is in the CPP which I find more comfortable to hold and the ZL trigger is much more comfortable to press than the L trigger.

The stand didn't do squat for me, but the CPP does!

Anyone else playing like this?

Yeah, this is how I've been playing. That extra comfort from using the ZL to trigger sure feels nice.

Roto13

This is probably already mentioned in this thread but I discovered something I was really happy about.

I'm a right handed player but even so I put my CPP on my 3DS last night and booted up KI. To my surprise while messing around the options menu, the thing was recognized automatically. But the real find was that the ZR and ZR triggers are just another set of L and R.

Basically I can now play the game as a normal right hander, except my 3DS is in the CPP which I find more comfortable to hold and the ZL trigger is much more comfortable to press than the L trigger.

The ZL trigger doesn't do anything for me. >_>

Well that's not true, it lets me select things in menus, but it doesn't let me fire.

EDIT: Oh, you have to set attack to R. That's weird.

OmegaZero

Yeah, I posted it earlier after the game came out, but I guess it was ignored with all the gushing and hype (not that that's a bad thing).
But anyway, I'm probably the happiest when it comes to that fix since my L button is, for all intents and purposes, dead.

To all of you completing stages on 9.0. What control scheme are you using?

I use the the basic stylus control scheme, with the horizontal and vertical sensitivity cranked up two notches.
My reticule is set to "stop quickly".

Thoraxes

Oh shit, you can map it to ZL?

Fucking awesome. I'm going to do this when I get home.

Thanks for the control advice. I switched mine to use the face buttons to aim and though it is less awkward, I realize I will never get close to 9.0 with it.

kSt

Oh shit, you can map it to ZL?

Fucking awesome. I'm going to do this when I get home.

I`ve just tried, and it works. All you need to do is swap L and R in settings.
EDIT: And it is also better because you have a large base for your right hand.

"If you chase two rabbits, they'll both escape"... fuck, why did I fall for that!! lol
Haha happened to me as well.
You not only miss out on the hot spring but also something more important...

To all of you completing stages on 9.0. What control scheme are you using?
Vertical sens slowest, horizontal sens highest, spinning set to stop slowly (fastest). Just experiment and see what works best for you.

olimpia84

I still haven't completed a level on 9.0 intensity. The fact that the game automatically forces you and lowers the intensity every time you lose is very discouraging to even try the levels.

Jarsonot

I still haven't completed a level on 9.0 intensity. The fact that the game automatically forces you and lowers the intensity every time you lose is very discouraging to even try the levels.

I don't think it automatically forces you, though I totally agree with dying and losing intensity levels being discouraging!

Edit: oh, I think you mean it forces you to lower the level, heh. In which case yeah, we're in total agreement. I see why they did it, I can even respect that decision, but it certainly is annoying. I wish there was an option to either continue at a lesser level, or restart at the beginning.

I don't think it automatically forces you, though I totally agree with dying and losing intensity levels being discouraging!

I think it's to balance out the loot system.

Otherwise you could just keep trying forever and getting loot way above your level because you're running through on high intensities and not fighting things and just starting over at the checkpoint when you die.

They want you to play on 9.0 intensity because you're actually that good and have the equipment to back it up.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I think it's to balance out the loot system.

Otherwise you could just keep trying forever and getting loot way above your level because you're running through on high intensities and not fighting things and just starting over at the checkpoint when you die.

They want you to play on 9.0 intensity because you're actually that good and have the equipment to back it up.
Yep, it's a balance decision. If you can't survive 9.0 then either your skill at the game needs to improve, your chosen weapons and powers, or both.

The whole design would crumble if one could brute force through the levels for OP equipment and heart rewards.

So I just unlocked
Fortune's Jukebox on the treasure chart by collecting all of the Zodiac Weapons
but I can't find it anywhere. It's not in the single-player or the multiplayer powers - I even changed the category to A-Z to make sure I didn't overlook it.

What's the deal?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So I just unlocked
but I can't find it anywhere. It's not in the single-player or the multiplayer powers - I even changed the category to A-Z to make sure I didn't overlook it.

What's the deal?

Is it an idol in the vault?

RagnarokX

So I just unlocked

What's the deal?

Unlocking isn't the same as getting. You didn't get any of the other stuff you unlocked, either :p

So I just unlocked

What's the deal?

What are the chapters you find them on? I'm missing one I know that but forgot what chapter it was on.

Anyone else have to take a break for a few days from this game?

Normally I play a game for an hour or so, this one I'd be playing and realize, "Oh, the sun went down like 2 hours ago. Better make sure my wife and dog are still alive."

Riposte

If you are not playing with a "restart level upon death" rule, then you are really missing out. Both on score and fun/challenge. I've playing through the game at 6 difficulty (was 5 for awhile).

Next run I'll be doing 9 and without missing any secrets. I think at that point the game will show its true colors. Has anyone cleared the whole game at 9.0 yet? I'm sure some Japanese dude did. Speaking of high level play, are there any videos where I can see people taking the multiplayer very seriously and dominating?

EDIT: I just looked and this game wasn't even on my 2012 "must play" list lol. It is definitely now holding a spot on my top 10 of the year list. Thanks to Red Sun Gamer podcast for convincing me to get this (they did the same for Catherine last year).

RagnarokX

If you are not playing with a "restart level upon death" rule, then you are really missing out. Both on score and fun/challenge. I've playing through the game at 6 difficulty (was 5 for awhile).

Next run I'll be doing 9 and not missing any secrets. I think at that point the game will show its true colors. Has anyone cleared the whole game at 9.0 yet? I'm sure some Japanese dude did. Speaking of high level play, is there any videos where I can see people taking the multiplayer very seriously and dominating?

Well one issue is that you can't simply restart because you'll lose the hearts you bet (I think) and you need to bet hearts to try again. You're pretty much stuck finishing a level and that kinda drags.

KarmaCow

You just need to have had one at some point.

There's unfortunately no good way to know which ones you've had outside of remembering or keeping a list.

Hmm alright thanks. Guess I'll just leave those challenges for later and just collect weapons for fusing through the other challenges.

Riposte

Well one issue is that you can't simply restart because you'll lose the hearts you bet (I think) and you need to bet hearts to try again. You're pretty much stuck finishing a level and that kinda drags.

I haven't had this problem much at all. I could see it being a problem at the start though. (I generally haven't died a lot.)

I think Defense+ weapons are key to survival on harder difficulties. My go to single player weapon has defense+5 and I think you can really notice it during the rail shooting sequences.

Boogiepop

Just beat 5 and 6 on 9.0. I think I'm definitely starting to get a little better at this. I'm kinda worried about things like
the Lightning Chariot Base and all its edges you can fall off. Especially the damn blowing air room and that loop that raises up and has no walls for some reason (after the loading screen.)

Salih

just finished the SP. the last 2 chapters were amazing gameplaywise as well as storywise. You would think they would lose steam after THAT many chapters. Well, they still managed to blow me away with the last two.

This is from now on my favourite handheld game ever. I already put over 70hours into this game (instead of finishing the game i replayed the older chapters again and again for better loot, achiev. and so on) and i can easily double if not triple that with all the challenges and unlockables left plus MP is great, fast fun.

Insanely well done, Project Sora - you successfully resurrected an old Nintendo-fella who is finally back and doesn't need to hide himself from Mario, Link and Samus.

Bring Kid Icarus to WiiU!

Jintor

Fuck lava though. Get burned = fly into the air, land in lava. Roll to stand up = unable to control length of roll, roll into lava, get burned. ARGH

StayDead

Fuck lava though. Get burned = fly into the air, land in lava. Roll to stand up = unable to control length of roll, roll into lava, get burned. ARGH

That seriously reminded me of how much that happened to me on Mario 64 when I played that level.

olimpia84

Finally cleared Chapter 1 on the max intensity. The loot sucked big time though. I did try chapter 2 but I keep dying in the air section...the biggest problem is that those health orbs come way too late into the section =/

KevinCow

Banned
Man. I don't know what's up with this online shit. I'm using a completely different connection, this time an actually really good one, and I'm still getting problems out the ass. I frequently see:

- People teleporting, often through walls or off the map, then snapping back to where they're supposed to be an instant later.

- This frequently happens with guys who use melee attacks. I'm standing there shooting at him, watching my bullets go through his character model, then he suddenly teleports right next to me and starts stabbing me to death.

- Melee attacks just completely failing to work. I get close, I press the fire button, and my guy does a melee attack, but for some reason it doesn't actually hit. Then a second later, they smack me in the face with a giant club or take my entire life bar off with a claw combo.

- I go to dash, and it doesn't work. Or it takes a second to register. Or sometimes I'll dash in the wrong direction, and not because I have a status effect.

I don't know what's up.

Aside from the internet problems I seem to be having, online seems fun. Except for the people running around with weapons that seem to basically be one hit kill. That's just annoying. But then I'm probably pissing plenty of people off with my cannon that can kill in two good charged shots, so karma or something I guess.

WallJump

Banned
Just beat 5 and 6 on 9.0. I think I'm definitely starting to get a little better at this. I'm kinda worried about things like
the Lightning Chariot Base and all its edges you can fall off. Especially the damn blowing air room and that loop that raises up and has no walls for some reason (after the loading screen.)

I KNOW

That room after the loading screen just wrecked my health bar. I must have fallen 3 times. Was the first time I really wanted to chuck my 3DS playing this.

Riposte

and bring Treasure on board yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Why? Sakurai and co have proven they can make a game on their own just fine.

- This frequently happens with guys who use melee attacks. I'm standing there shooting at him, watching my bullets go through his character model, then he suddenly teleports right next to me and starts stabbing me to death.

He could be dodging? You get a special animation when you just barely avoid a projectile

- Melee attacks just completely failing to work. I get close, I press the fire button, and my guy does a melee attack, but for some reason it doesn't actually hit. Then a second later, they smack me in the face with a giant club or take my entire life bar off with a claw combo.

Aim Assist really helped me with Melee attacks. To cumbersome otherwise I think.

Riposte

Just fine, sure. Treasure would make it even better!

Or throw money at them to work on Star Fox Wii U, I don't really care. One or the other.

As someone who isn't a Treasure fanboy, I disagree. Plus you don't ADD Treasure to something. They are their own studio which work with very small numbers.

Anyway, am I looking for "skill" videos of this game to compare myself to.

This guy shows why "Energy Charge" is sick. He is able to one shot dudes. I don't like staff though. (lol @ pointless "Two Steps From Hell" trailer music, or w/e)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJT6C8Z2ruk

jufonuk

not tag worthy
since sorting out the controls to my liking, I am dipping into the game more and more and loving it, getting the hang of ground levels some quirks to iron out but, air combat is good, I really dig this game now

Boney

Banned
While air is probably not as well designed when it comes to enemy placement enemies and what not as S&P2, KI has it beat by an insane margin when it comes to off the wall creativity and visual delight.

sfried

Alright, I give up. Just how do you get
the Zodiac weapon on Chapter 12? Where is this hidden elevator people speak off? After the last enemy, I enter the door and theres an elevator in front of me, so I try to head back and the room is shut

jufonuk

not tag worthy
While air is probably not as well designed when it comes to enemy placement enemies and what not as S&P2, KI has it beat by an insane margin when it comes to off the wall creativity and visual delight.

I would love a S&P2 3DS game tbh

Top Bottom