• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Emitan

I really like how stronger weapons take out more of the bar in multiplayer. It's finally a game with unlockable weapons that doesn't suck!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I really like how stronger weapons take out more of the bar in multiplayer. It's finally a game with unlockable weapons that doesn't suck!

Exactly, balance is what seems to be at the heart of multiplayer: I have yet to participate in unfair battles. Quite an achievement if you ask me.

KevinCow

Banned

But it's weird, because this doesn't matter as much as you might think it would. Since the default team health bar is 900, and it seems to take away the weapon's value when you die, it's really just the difference between 3 to 5 stock. If everyone's weapon is over 300, your team has 3 stock. If everyone's weapon is under 225, you have a 5 stock team. If everyone's between 225 and 300, it's a 4 stock team.

So basically try to get as close to 299 as you can without going over, because it's effectively the same as using a 225 weapon.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The "beat ch. 1 under 4 minutes" cheevo seems kinda difficult. Playing at 0.0, and as
soon as I touched the ground I ran like there's no tomorrow toward the boss. I used a speed item and tirelesness and I still didn't get it.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
The "beat ch. 1 under 4 minutes" cheevo seems kinda difficult. Playing at 0.0, and as
soon as I touched the ground I ran like there's no tomorrow toward the boss. I used a speed item and tirelesness and I still didn't get it.

Try Brawler Claws (with Speed modifier) and the Super Speed power.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx

I somehow got it on my first try. I just used my overall strongest and fastest ranged weapon at the time (Cutter Palms with 3 star range and Speed +2), equipped the Lightweight and Tirelessness powers, and played on 0.0. As soon as I touched ground, I got out of the alley and activated Lightweight (which gives you a speed boost). Then I ran like a crazy mofo to the boss. I killed it in 4 or 5 seconds and got the achievement.

I don't know how close I was to that 4 minute mark, but that's what I did. That same strategy worked for all the chapters, although later chapters do have unavoidable battles. Just kill them and get on your way.

alazz

Beat the game earlier; truly excellent. And those twists! "The next chapter is even better" is no lie.

Chapter 18
was...wow. Though that boss was a pain. His dark arrow-laser thing is hard to dodge and deals a lot of damage. Even on
Boss Rush
he got me near crisis.

How do Melee and Ranged Stars work? I have a 322 value Ninja Palm with five ranged stars and no melee stars. Does that negatively impact its melee damage?
Post-game question:
can I set the intensity for boss rush mode
?

How do Melee and Ranged Stars work? I have a 322 value Ninja Palm with five ranged stars and no melee stars. Does that negatively impact its melee damage?

If a weapon has no stars in a stat, that means it's unaltered. Your weapon has standard melee power (for a Ninja Palm), but it has higher-than-normal ranged power.

Post-game question:
can I set the intensity for boss rush mode
?

Yes, but you have to beat it first, and you can only pick between easy, normal, and hard.

Busaiku

I'd guess either
the one behind the little house structures where you're introduced to jump pads, or the one that spawns after you kill the snake jar.

Ok, so make that 2 chests...
Didn't know the jar produced a chest, can't take my chances with those Orns.
The one I knew I missed though was the one for killing the Reapers in the room with the Meat/Demon Vine.

Hate trying to kill Reapers.

WhyMe6

So I'm halfway through Level 4, I get a phone call so I put my 3DS in Sleep Mode. I finish, open it up, and my Circle Pad doesn't resync. There isn't an option anywhere to manually do it, AFAIK. The only way I can get it to work is to quit to the 3DS menu and reopen the game.

Fuck you, Nintendo.

Other than never using Sleep Mode while playing KI with the CPP, anyone know a way around this?

EDIT: Right, it's in the manual. L+R+X. /endrage

How come you can't have all your powers on the bottom screen? Having only 3 sucks. And you can't even bind them to the face buttons.
Yeah this sucks. I wouldn't use face buttons but I use the touch screen for my powers. What's even worse: In the heat of the battle you sometimes scroll the powers instead of choosing them - can result in you going to the heavens and leaving a tombstone.

Speaking of which: Do you also like blowing people up with the tombstones of players they recently killed? I find it hilarious.

- This frequently happens with guys who use melee attacks. I'm standing there shooting at him, watching my bullets go through his character model, then he suddenly teleports right next to me and starts stabbing me to death.

- Melee attacks just completely failing to work. I get close, I press the fire button, and my guy does a melee attack, but for some reason it doesn't actually hit. Then a second later, they smack me in the face with a giant club or take my entire life bar off with a claw combo.

Aside from the internet problems I seem to be having, online seems fun. Except for the people running around with weapons that seem to basically be one hit kill. That's just annoying. But then I'm probably pissing plenty of people off with my cannon that can kill in two good charged shots, so karma or something I guess.
Can't help with the connection problems but the melee stuff sound like they are using either dodge or a power such as Bumblebee or Warp.

As for one hit kill, remember that your life gauge in FFA depends on the strength of your weapon. I can one hit kill with my charged
Skyscraper
club but only guys with high value weapons it seems. If you want to go that route get some defense modifiers on your weapon or use Super Armor.

So in air battles, do near misses reflect projectiles back?
Not in my experience, only if you do a barrel roll (which is too slow on higher difficulties).

Finally cleared Chapter 1 on the max intensity. The loot sucked big time though. I did try chapter 2 but I keep dying in the air section...the biggest problem is that those health orbs come way too late into the section =/
Managed to do the air section in 2 but the boss beat me because I missed my dodge late into the fight :-(. Using Orbitars helps with the flying but close quarter encounters
(like the Magnus encounter)
can be a bitch.

mèx

Neo Member
During the first few chapters I got this by fusion:

sauraibladeeguhd.png

And I have to say it's a good weapon for singleplayer, the Health -4 can be a bitch but you can manage. I completed all the chapters up until
(that's as far as I have got) at 6/7 intensity with this blade.

But now I got this by fusion:

saggitariusbow20uzu.png

and I totally DESTROY intensity 7. The bows are so good. Though in multiplayer that Samurai Blade is fantastic, stealth tactics + 210 dash melee attack = awesome.

I love this game.

Tom_Cody

O__O

I am at chapter
and the best i have it's a Giga Drill Breaker at value 201...
tell me your secret

Play at higher intensity. That's all. :p
Seriously. What intensity are you playing on? 3? Weapon drops scale with difficulty. You are rewarded for trying harder intensities. If you die, your only penalty is dropping down an intensity level (well, that and an insignificant amount of hearts.) Take the plunge.

It took me a little too long to realize that the game rewards play much more than anything else when it comes to weapons. Any time spent shopping/fusing weapons could be much better spent just playing.

McNum

So I've been taking it slow, but I think I'm getting the hang of the controls. Only on chapter 4, too. The game suggested a higher intensity for me, so I guess that means I'm getting better. I think I'm going to rebind Use Power to D-Pad Up, though. Easy to hit when using the circle pad.

I'm using a Divine Bow I got in chapter 2, the homing is nice, but the damage is kind of... eh. Especially in melee range. I could use some more hearts, but I suppose that'll come on its own with the intensity increases. I haven't died yet, but the next chapter's title does not make me feel confident.
Reapers. Gonna go get my space magic.

I noticed something interesting, too. Have you tried not aiming in a flying battle? That is lifting the stylus? The game then reverts to a Star Fox 64 style aim, where you shoot in front of Pit. Not that useful, considering what you can do with the stylus, but fun that they made it work like that.

I'm using a Divine Bow I got in chapter 2, the homing is nice, but the damage is kind of... eh. Especially in melee range. I could use some more hearts, but I suppose that'll come on its own with the intensity increases. I haven't died yet, but the next chapter's title does not make me feel confident.

Ah_yes__Reapers_by_soccerdemon.jpg

Don't worry about them. Just keep calm and stroll on by.

As for your weapon, try replaying Chapter 1 on a higher difficulty. You'll have a much better chancr of getting a stronger weapon.

Tom_Cody

So I've been taking it slow, but I think I'm getting the hang of the controls. Only on chapter 4, too. The game suggested a higher intensity for me, so I guess that means I'm getting better. I think I'm going to rebind Use Power to D-Pad Up, though. Easy to hit when using the circle pad.

I noticed something interesting, too. Have you tried not aiming in a flying battle? That is lifting the stylus? The game then reverts to a Star Fox 64 style aim, where you shoot in front of Pit. Not that useful, considering what you can do with the stylus, but fun that they made it work like that.
Due to my initial hesitation towards the controls, I played very cautiously at first. I kept this attitude even after I had grown accustomed to the controls and it ended up being ages before I died for the first time. This is not the way to play.

The game really rewards you for moving up in difficulty. Err on the side of higher intensity and you will get more out of the experience. You will also get much better loot. Some loss of hearts is your only penalty for dying, and even that is more than made up for by the increase in hearts you will get for moving up.

NEO0MJ

http://i.imgur.com/bQuLZl.jpg

This picture frightens me. I have a deep fear of being eaten alive.

In other news I bought this cannon hoping I could transfer its perks to another weapon by fusion but the most important one, +8 defense doesn't transfer to a single weapon. Feels like such a waste. Any clue about what I should do with it?

CC.png

In other news I bought this cannon hoping I could transfer its perks to another weapon by fusion but the most important one, +8 defense doesn't transfer to a single weapon. Feels like such a waste. Any clue about what I should do with it?

CC.png

Keep collecting weapons. Eventually you'll find one that will inherit the bonuses you want.

CC.png

Just got myself a 312 meteor bow with +7 defense, but I'm still trying to find a weapon it'll fuse with that will keep the defense, but no luck yet :(

Busaiku

Man, Chapter 5 at 9.0 is so much easier than Chapter 4.
The Air Battle was tough, but aside from that there's nothing difficult about the level.

Even Pandora is weak to Violet Palms or something, cause she goes down so quickly.

Tom_Cody, could you not link to hentai.
I know Pixiv is a general image gallery and you didn't intend that, but if someone didn't filter out the R-18 stuff, they're gonna get some bad results.

Prinny

Dash attacks. Dash attacks everywhere. Defeat
him with your Chuck Norris roundhouse skills!

At least, that's what I did.
That's what I was doing on lower intensity but on 9.0 he dodge my kick most of the time and then he teleport behind me to destroy 50% of my HP.
I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, I have no problem with the other bosses.

Oh well, I have no hearts left now :(

That's what I was doing on lower intensity but on 9.0 he dodge my kick most of the time and then he teleport behind me to destroy 50% of my HP.
I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, I have no problem with the other bosses.

Oh well, I have no hearts left now :(

One thing that worked for me was to stop your dash attack just short so that he dodges around you, and then immediately turn and give him a few smacks with your sword. Also, if you're close enough to him, just dodge towards him whenever he fires a volley of arrows, and then attack. If he melees, dodge back and then lunge forwards and attack. If you can keep the pressure on him, he'll eventually faulter and open himself up to damage.

Korosenai

I didn't play my 3ds at all January or February, and I love collecting idols, so I've been going through everyday of January and February getting the 10 coins for everyday. I just really want the Dyntos idol.

Prinny

One thing that worked for me was to stop your dash attack just short so that he dodges around you, and then immediately turn and give him a few smacks with your sword. Also, if you're close enough to him, just dodge towards him whenever he fires a volley of arrows, and then attack. If he melees, dodge back and then lunge forwards and attack. If you can keep the pressure on him, he'll eventually faulter and open himself up to damage.
Thanks, I finally won :)

Only
chapters left.
Chapter 21 is going to be fun.

Top Bottom