• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

I just got this game today, played through two chapters and I'm loving it though I do echo some of the issues people have had with the ground portions.

Also, I feel completely overwhelmed by all the options, like fusing weapons, the abilities, selling hearts, etc. I'm afraid of messing up!
I'd say that you don't need to worry too much about those things on your first run through, fusing weapons will be useful later on when going for higher intensities and online but for now it's not really needed. Abilities can be useful but once again they shine much more on higher intensities and making an online setup, though for now i'd recommend jump and health regeneration in particular if you get them, jump can on rare occasions help you reach treasure chests and health recovery is always handy, really you should just go nuts with them at this point and see what works.
And selling most weapons nets you a small and pretty worthless amount of hearts at the early stages, might as well leave any extra weapons lying around.

just got through chapter six last night and damn. was not expecting that. everything regarding pandora's level was a fucking fantastic ode to the on-rails shooter (aside from the on-foot stuff).

on-foot is starting to become more interesting too. kinda surprised about that. i've been going back and trying earlier levels too. 6.0 intensity seems to be my limit without dying so far.
It's when venturing above 6.0 that you'd probably start needing proper ability setups and higher stat weapons to help get through the stages (specifically that ever useful defence boost) so unless you really feel like challenging yourself you might as well stick at what's comfortable for now. If you still find the controls a bit cumbersome getting shot to bits in the more tricky on foot sections wont do much to help your enjoyment.

Hey Icarus-Gaf, got a question for you lovely people: Has anyone else got grey spotpass gems with question-marks inside them? Anyone know they actually do?

Also, what's your favourite chapter? Mine's
Chapter 15. All that former foe banter
Favourite chapter? it's been a while, i'm planning on popping the game in once more shortly and I guess the first port of call would be one of my favourite chapters, i'll have to get back to you on this one.

Anteo

It means you haven't unlocked that specific weapon yet.

My personal favourite chapter is probably
14, for three reasons: it introduced Pyrrhon, has a cool level design, and the flight music is my favourite track in the series.

Wrong chapter!
Ch 14 is Phosphora introduction, and my favorite, though Ch 15 and the mysterious invaders is one of the best part of the game

Wrong chapter!
Ch 14 is Phosphora introduction, and my favorite, though Ch 15 and the mysterious invaders is one of the best part of the game

Derp. Shows how much I know ;P

Seriously though, we need to get Team IcarusGAF back together for some matches sometime. I can't believe it's already been 2 months...

Anteo

Sakurai officially stated that nothing happens. He just found that some people liked donating hearts to feel closer to a goddess, so he kept it in.

And you belive him? :lol
You know, anything could happen, they could be counting the amount of hearts everyone is donating.

Anteo

I just got around to playing this again since launch.

Firstly, I won't be selling this game ever again. The visuals, the music especially and the characters are masterful. Period.

Controls are what they are. The game has given me a severe cramp in my right hand and in 30 years of gaming, I have never been able to say that of any other game.

I'll just chalk this up to flawed masterpiece. Having a blast though. One last time; music. Oh god the music.

What? D=

Edit: It just hit me why some people are having cramps after posting this, so I'll edit.
How are you holding the 3ds?
What I do is to put the tip of my index finger near the Stylus/Infrared Port, and hit the button with the middle of it.

I sometime have cramps in MK7 because I can't do that with my right hand while charguing the system.

Not sure if this has been asked before but has ANYONE actually played this yet on an XL?

If so, how comfortable is it ? I was going to buy my first 3DS (the XL) next week and was gonna get this game with it...

It won't fit on the stand thing right?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Not sure if this has been asked before but has ANYONE actually played this yet on an XL?

If so, how comfortable is it ? I was going to buy my first 3DS (the XL) next week and was gonna get this game with it...

what's-his-face in the 3DSXl impressions thread said it was very uncomfortable to play on the XL when he tried it. something the weight or something, i look it up.

Bii

I played it on an XL at Nintendo's lounge at SDCC. I was only 5-10 minutes in and I could already feel the XL weighing my hand down. It became uncomfortable and I sort of just played it resting on the table awkwardly. I can't comment on the included stand since I didn't have a chance to use it. Nintendo had their own stands to prop the XL up.

watershed

Banned
What's the best weapon to use for ground combat that is still serviceable for air combat? The club seems to absolutely suck for air portions. I'm looking for something with a little balance but that favors ground combat because that's where I'm having the most trouble.

Anteo

thanks... well crap that sucks i guess... i was gonna get this game as my first 3DS game but i guess not until a stand comes out (if) :(

I don't see why you would need a new stand for the 3dsxl, is there any reason to think the old stand won't work?

Edit :

What's the best weapon to use for ground combat that is still serviceable for air combat? The club seems to absolutely suck for air portions. I'm looking for something with a little balance but that favors ground combat because that's where I'm having the most trouble.

Especifically, I can recomend an Aurum Staff. It's attack power is not affected by distance, and a 6 star one will hit 180 with a running chargued shot from far away or in non-melee close combat.

Edit 2:
In case you are wondering, this weapon is great on land, hitting enemies before they see you, or out of their range is great for 8.0+ stages. In case they get too close to you, your damage output is mostly the same, unless they force you to melee somehow.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Especifically, I can recomend an Aurum Staff. It's attack power is not affected by distance, and a 6 star one will hit 180 with a running chargued shot from far away or in non-melee close combat.

aurum staff? don't you mean aurum club or bow or blade or orbitars or palm or... cat? cause i'm pretty sure there's no staff for it.

maybe you mean't laser staff

Anteo

aurum staff? don't you mean aurum club or bow or blade or orbitars or palm or... cat? cause i'm pretty sure there's no staff for it.

Yeah, the name may be off :lol
I play in spanish, so the name on the menus never match from other regions (and I never pay atention to the names because of that). I'll check what the real name it is, it just looks like some aurum thing so I thought that was the name.

Edit : Yep you are right, I don't know where I got the aurum name from xD
And the name is the same in spanish, translated of course, which is odd since we have things like Ambar instead of Phosphora, and Auriga instead of Chariot Master (though the last one makes a little more sense)

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Yeah, the name may be off :lol
I play in spanish, so the name on the menus never match from other regions (and I never pay atention to the names because of that). I'll check what the real name it is, it just looks like some aurum thing so I thought that was the name.

And the name is the same in spanish, translated of course, which is odd since we have things like Ambar instead of Phosphora, and Auriga instead of Chariot Master (though the last one makes a little more sense)

well i can't blame you, the laser staff does sorta look like it comes from the aurum weapon family an aurum weapon.

PKrockin

lol, and here I was going to suggest a Laser Staff too. Extremely fast projectile speed and hits for the same damage at all ranges.

watershed

Banned
So laser staff is what I should be looking for then? Cool. I'm using an orbiter right now, don't remember its name. Its a lot more well rounded than the bows I was using before.

Anteo

So laser staff is what I should be looking for then? Cool. I'm using an orbiter right now, don't remember its name. Its a lot more well rounded than the bows I was using before.

Bows are also great, the homming makes boss fights easier. Though I'm still looking for a good bow with great stats.

I don't see why you would need a new stand for the 3dsxl, is there any reason to think the old stand won't work?

Edit :

Edit 2:
In case you are wondering, this weapon is great on land, hitting enemies before they see you, or out of their range is great for 8.0+ stages. In case they get too close to you, your damage output is mostly the same, unless they force you to melee somehow.

Well, has anyone tried it? I thought the XL would simply not FIT on the stand?

PKrockin

I don't know how in the world you'd get cramps in your right hand when supporting the 3DS with your left hand only... are you left handed?

Pinky of stylus hand goes under the system for support, all other fingers on top. You wouldn't play Mario Party with your buttcheeks, don't support the whole weight of the 3DS with one hand.

Well, has anyone tried it? I thought the XL would simply not FIT on the stand?

I don't see why it wouldn't... it just rests against the back and ledge. It's not like it snaps into place or anything.

Chunky

It means you haven't unlocked that specific weapon yet.

My personal favourite chapter is probably
14, for three reasons: it introduced Pyrrhon, has a cool level design, and the flight music is my favourite track in the series.

Ah thanks, bit disappointed it's not something more interesting, oh well.
And I see we share the same favourite chapter. The air and land battle music for that stage is probably my favourite in the game (although it's not exactly easy to choose).

Anteo

It shouldn't matter how I hold my 3DS. No other game gives me problems because of how I hold it and I'm not going to go out of my way to the place my index finger here and my pinky finger there to accomodate this game. To answer your question though, I use my middle finger and palm to hold the weight of the handheld.

Well, have you played any other games where you need tu hold it with one hand and use L and the pad? Like Metroid Prime Hunters?. Honest question here, since this is the first game I played where I had to hold a ds/3ds with one hand for long periods of time, I realized inmediatly that I needed to change the way I grip the 3ds, If I hold it the same way I play Mario Kart (but using just one hand) I would get crapms just like you.

Edit :
I don't know how in the world you'd get cramps in your right hand when supporting the 3DS with your left hand only... are you left handed?

Pinky of stylus hand goes under the system for support, all other fingers on top. You wouldn't play Mario Party with your buttcheeks, don't support the whole weight of the 3DS with one hand.

I don't see why it wouldn't... it just rests against the back and ledge. It's not like it snaps into place or anything.

I have a left handed friend that plays just fine w/o crapms, and he is using the default scheme.
I think the problem for some people (not especifically for you Anabuhabkuss) is the left hand.
When I play any other game, I use my fingers to support the edge of the 3ds, however, doing this with just one hand hurts.
So when I play KI:U, I use my fingers in my left hand to support the middle of the unit, which I find more confortable.
I also do the pinky finger thing, that works really well.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Ok, thanks a lot, that's what i needed to know...

now, the game DOES play more comfortably using the stand right? Just concerned since i read in this thread that apparently it's super uncomfortable playing that game with an XL so maybe they weren't using the stand then?

It's all up to how you've got it set up. I didn't like using the stand since it meant i always had to be at my desk hunched over just to play the game. And I later figured out a way to hold the 3ds in my hands with a stylus comfortably. Plus it made a better cell phone stand anyway.

But if you've got a desk or table with a good height for your body or whatever, it should be fine.

Wizpig

I used the stand maybe 15 minutes in those 85-or-so hours i've played Uprising: it's a nifty cool little thing, just not for me.

And i also play with ABXY, without CPP: again, CPP is shit because it makes the console awkward especially when you have to use the stylus.

My thoughts about the 3DS XL are not the best ones: i don't really like the DSi XL in many aspects.
An in-topic aspect is that the bigger touch screen makes every touch screen based game a pain to play because you have to make big movements for every little thing... i'm scared just thinking playing Uprising on that beast.

Dr.Hadji

I have been hosting a match everyday for the last week for hours at a time. I just sit in there practicing on bots hoping one of the billion people on my friends list would take notice and join in.

oh well

See! This thread is sad!
What happend to all the people who had this game?

I just realized there's a KI thread. Shame on me :(

I recently got this and I've been playing this like a madman lol. I'm down to join one of your games. 4854-7524-4069

The calendar I made is here.

The idea is, if you want to play and get better at the game we need to play each other. To coordinate schedules, you simple look at the calendar. If you want to post an event to the calendar you simply email me. All the information can be found on the READ ME events on the calendar itself. When we play, we all meet in the group chat so we can keep the communication lines open. That's very important.

Group chat here:
http://mibbit.com/?channel=#theuprising&server=irc.mibbit.net

Korosenai

I am getting online tomorrow night for some matches. I'll post in here when i'm ready and we can do FFA to start out with until we get more people (if we get more people).

daakusedo

I find amazing how when you screw up air battle mid part, the will to survive makes you dodge everything for so long, first trying to quit limit mode and then just realizing you did the whole last part with no life. I couldn't believe I did this from chapter 4, at 9.0 of course.
You appreciate even more the food when you step on the ground.

Jarsonot

Working my way through trying to get all the golden laurels. This game continues to be awesome. Got a pretty decent weapon on last play through too - overall defense +7! I don't think it's better than my mainstay though, I likes me my beam claws.

Haven't really fused anything worthwhile, but I have a crapload of weapons so may try to make something awesome soon.

I've heard good things about the laser staff and Magnus club, any other recommendations?

Working my way through trying to get all the golden laurels. This game continues to be awesome. Got a pretty decent weapon on last play through too - overall defense +7! I don't think it's better than my mainstay though, I likes me my beam claws.

Haven't really fused anything worthwhile, but I have a crapload of weapons so may try to make something awesome soon.

I've heard good things about the laser staff and Magnus club, any other recommendations?

Samurai Blade. Gdlk.

Boney

Banned
Ok, thanks a lot, that's what i needed to know...

now, the game DOES play more comfortably using the stand right? Just concerned since i read in this thread that apparently it's super uncomfortable playing that game with an XL so maybe they weren't using the stand then?

I hate the stand. Play pretty comfortable without it.

Korosenai

I am getting on in 30 minutes. Gonna host an FFA.

If you want to join and you're on my friends list, feel free to.

If you're not on my friends list and you want to play, add me: 5155-3032-4812 (PM me to let me know you added me and i'll add you back).

One thing about the story that is off: Viridi tosses a reset bomb early on in game and kills thousands of humans on battleground and then we team up with her later?

I wasn't a big fan of the plot.

Spoilers for Chapters 10 and 11:

Chapter 10 focuses on the Wish Seed for the entire Chapter. After slaying the Phoenix, Hades makes a big show about how the humans will fight over the fake Wish Seed or something to that effect. Viridi then throws a Reset Bomb and the plot immediately changes focus.

I'm no expert on stories, but I think the development team should have focused on a conflict and allow it to develop before immediately changing course.

Anteo

I wasn't a big fan of the plot.

Spoilers for Chapters 10 and 11:

Chapter 10 focuses on the Wish Seed for the entire Chapter. After slaying the Phoenix, Hades makes a big show about how the humans will fight over the fake Wish Seed or something to that effect. Viridi then throws a Reset Bomb and the plot immediately changes focus.

I'm no expert on stories, but I think the development team should have focused on a conflict and allow it to develop before immediately changing course.

Well, no, the whole wish seed thing is to have a reason for Viridi to appear. They didn't need a whole war to anger Viridi, just a little battle so she can finally say "I'm sick of humans" (Viridi says that the humans are always at war, so that battle is the last straw)

Korosenai

I am getting on in 30 minutes. Gonna host an FFA.

If you want to join and you're on my friends list, feel free to.

If you're not on my friends list and you want to play, add me: 5155-3032-4812 (PM me to let me know you added me and i'll add you back).

Same deal as last time. Except i'll be getting on in 50 minutes at 9 central.

Well, just got back from Otakon. I gave out some of my extra boosters while there, but no one was playing Kid Icarus in the 3DS multiplayer corner when I went to go check. Disappointing!

RPGCrazied

I might get this soon. So you can't control the camera at all with the L/R buttons? Camera control via the touch screen seems very nauseating to me.

Top Bottom