• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So bear with me if you will: bought this game day1, I think it's fantastic.
But I never play it, I'm still way behind on the sp part. Why? I can't force myself to always use the stand and I couldn't find a decent way to play without it (mainly using the L button), not even in 2D (nevermind in 3D, which I play with 95% of the time on 3DS).
Any tips, suggestions on control methods?

You're my only hope Uprising GAF

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Yeah ggs peeps. I have procrastination papers to type for tomorrow and i think i've had enough eyetrack orbitars for one day.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
And you've have enough of my Somewhat Staff.

Heheh, good one. We already know you had to bail because my secret ancient pimpcane made you sweat. I could totally hear your heartbeats when you saw my shots coming at you.

Oh well it finally died....GGs all and thanks for the fun.
Your bot still kicked ass if it makes you feel better. I'm done at 11 Prinny, get your transparency hits in while you still can :p

Edit: And that's a wrap. Good games everybody, until next time!
But I never play it, I'm still way behind on the sp part. Why? I can't force myself to always use the stand and I couldn't find a decent way to play without it (mainly using the L button), not even in 2D (nevermind in 3D, which I play with 95% of the time on 3DS).

That's a though one to answer, the default control scheme with the stand is all that I've ever used and while it took time it eventually clicked and I like it a lot now. I can't play without the stand at all, the game is much too hectic.

Prinny

Good games everyone!

I need to make more set, I haven't tried most of the powers. Right now I have 5 powers at once and I keep getting hit because I'm always looking at the touch screen :/

Korosenai

Good games everyone!

I need to make more set, I haven't tried most of the powers. Right now I have 5 powers at once and I keep getting hit because I'm always looking at the touch screen :/

That's why I only like to have 2-3 main powers I use. It's easier to just use the d-pad and select them off the spawn or mid-match instead of looking at the touch screen, and I have it to where I press up on the d-pad to activate powers so it's faster.

ffdgh

My favorite power sets for free for all are:

For brute force, super armor/ Libra sponge with black hole.

Spam happy long range weapons with good homing, Quick charge/energy charge with playing dead or slip shot.

That's why I only like to have 2-3 main powers I use. It's easier to just use the d-pad and select them off the spawn or mid-match instead of looking at the touch screen, and I have it to where I press up on the d-pad to activate powers so it's faster.
I didn't even know that you could do this. I've been trying to keep just a few powers myself to avoid having to look down but this is even better.

My mainstays are bumblebee, reflector and homingshot. I need to start abusing transpanency and play dead though, everyone is crushing me with charge shots after those >_<

Prinny

I can't stand the stand *cough* so I hold the 3DS by putting the little finger of my right hand behind the 3DS and the lower right corner of the 3DS in the palm of my right hand.
I use my ring finger to press Y/A to select powers and B to activate them.
I hold the stylus with the remaining 3 fingers.

I play every touch screen games holding it that way now, I hate it when I can't move with a handheld.

I need to start abusing transpanency and play dead though, everyone is crushing me with charge shots after those >_<
Oh no, please don't. You become invisible and invincible for 30s-1m if you don't move. And you can attack too.
At least with transparency you can still get hit and autoreticle is great against it.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I can't stand the stand *cough* so I hold the 3DS by putting the little finger of my right hand behind the 3DS and the lower right corner of the 3DS in the palm of my right hand.

I play every touch screen games holding it that way now, I hate it when I can't move with a handheld.

Oh no, please don't. You become invisible and invincible for 30s-1m if you don't move. And you can attack too.
At least with transparency you can still get hit and autoreticle is great against it.

I'm thinking of taking it out of staff sets since it's to easy to abuse. At least with black hole, you can warp out of it if you've got bumblebee or angelic missle or etc. It's too much of a crutch and kinda brings things to a stand still when it's being used.

I'm thinking of taking it out of staff sets since it's to easy to abuse. At least with black hole, you can warp out of it if you've got bumblebee or angelic missle or etc. It's too much of a crutch and kinda brings things to a stand still when it's being used.
I dont know if you noticed but I've gotten pretty good over the last few play sessions at spoting play dead and getting the hell out of the way before getting charge-shot. I just keep an eye on my bodycount but I'm still getting caught when it looks like someone got taken out by a stray shot here and there. I'm assuming that you higher level players are keeping an eye on the same thing. Part of the fun of the multiplayer is adjusting to the deadly combos people come up with so I'd hate to see you abandon staffs.

I tried playing like that but my fingers cramp up too much. Are you on a 3DS or XL? I'm pretty used to the stand now but KI is the only game I use with it.

I need to take a closer look at some of the skills. The game doesn't do a great job of explaining all of their properties and I have a feeling that some can be combined into special combos that I haven't discovered yet.

I did finally finish the single player but I just realized on one of the later chapters that you lose treasure when you get killed so now I have to go back through and make sure I got all of the Zodiac items. I assumed that they got unlocked if you just find them but I was wrong :(

Prinny

I dont know if you noticed but I've gotten pretty good over the last few play sessions at spoting play dead and getting the hell out of the way before getting charge-shot.
Every time I see Gospel using play dead, I have the bad habit of wasting my time waiting until he reappear to kill him :p

I tried playing like that but my fingers cramp up too much. Are you on a 3DS or XL? I'm pretty used to the stand now but KI is the only game I use with it.
Normal 3DS. I do have superior penguin hands though.

I need to take a closer look at some of the skills. The game doesn't do a great job of explaining all of their properties and I have a feeling that some can be combined into special combos that I haven't discovered yet.
Jump Glide + Angelic Missile + Rocket Jump is fun
if you don't mind having 0 point at the end of each game >.>

Jump Glide + Angelic Missile + Rocket Jump is fun
if you don't mind having 0 point at the end of each game >.>
Yes, but that seems to happen sometimes anyway so why shouldn't I try it lol

You've gotten damn good at dashing behind me which is driving me nuts. I've wasted so much time spinning in circles looking for you and you still end up behind me somehow :/

Korosenai

I didn't even know that you could do this. I've been trying to keep just a few powers myself to avoid having to look down but this is even better.

My mainstays are bumblebee, reflector and homingshot. I need to start abusing transpanency and play dead though, everyone is crushing me with charge shots after those >_<

All I ever use is my Magnus Club, Lv. 1 Energy Charge, Lv. 4 Transparency, Lv. 3 Tirelessness, and Lv. 1 Effect Recovery. I can also activate these three abilities off the spawn so I don't have to worry about them for a while. The only two I have to focus on during a game are transparency and tirelessness, but those are easy to manage with the dpad up being able to activate powers.

My Magnus Club has a 6 Star Range and a 5 1/2 Star Melee, and terrible effects: Running Speed + 1, Knockback Recovery + 1, Heart Bonus + 1, Shot Defense - 2. None of those are helpful, besides running speed, and because of the Shot Defense -2 I get one shot killed by pretty much every weapon.

That's why I use Energy Charge and Transparency. I can sneak in, deliver a definite one shot kill (I think my Magnus Club with a full Energy Charge does about 350+ damage), and continue doing that until I run out of transparency. Whenever I lose transparency I don't stand a chance. Last night using this weapon, Prinny was one shot killing me like crazy with his dark bow or whatever it was.

So basically, yes my class is cheap and uses cheap tactics, but I have to, because if I don't I would just get steamrolled. And I don't really feel like trying to forge another good weapon :p.

You know about the lock-on/circle strafe, right?
The what now? I need to do some reading when I get home apparently.
All I ever use is my Magnus Club, Lv. 1 Energy Charge, Lv. 4 Transparency, Lv. 3 Tirelessness, and Lv. 1 Effect Recovery. I can also activate these three abilities off the spawn so I don't have to worry about them for a while. The only two I have to focus on during a game are transparency and tirelessness, but those are easy to manage with the dpad up being able to activate powers.

My Magnus Club has a 6 Star Range and a 5 1/2 Star Melee, and terrible effects: Running Speed + 1, Knockback Recovery + 1, Heart Bonus + 1, Shot Defense - 2. None of those are helpful, besides running speed, and because of the Shot Defense -2 I get one shot killed by pretty much every weapon.

That's why I use Energy Charge and Transparency. I can sneak in, deliver a definite one shot kill (I think my Magnus Club with a full Energy Charge does about 350+ damage), and continue doing that until I run out of transparency. Whenever I lose transparency I don't stand a chance. Last night using this weapon, Prinny was one shot killing me like crazy with his dark bow or whatever it was.

So basically, yes my class is cheap and uses cheap tactics, but I have to, because if I don't I would just get steamrolled. And I don't really feel like trying to forge another good weapon :p.
This illustrates what makes the game so brilliant. The Project Sora team spent a ton of time developing the weapon system to balance out the property inheritance. It's really difficult to forge a high level weapon with the best possible stats as those stats usually require a penalty to transfer with them. You can definitely work the system with enough time and effort or get lucky but the game makes weapon creation a side game of its own.

Prinny

The what now? I need to do some reading when I get home apparently.
If you're near a monster/someone (close enough to melee), you put the stylus on the touch screen and hold it there, then you press left or right on the circle pad. You'll do a dash around them and they'll stay at the center of the screen.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I dont know if you noticed but I've gotten pretty good over the last few play sessions at spoting play dead and getting the hell out of the way before getting charge-shot. I just keep an eye on my bodycount but I'm still getting caught when it looks like someone got taken out by a stray shot here and there. I'm assuming that you higher level players are keeping an eye on the same thing. Part of the fun of the multiplayer is adjusting to the deadly combos people come up with so I'd hate to see you abandon staffs.

Oh i've noticed alright, which is why i was really leaning on my play dead gimmick in a ton of our matches yesterday. You guys are seriously humbling and keep me on my toes. I can't remember what weapon it was that you had that kept freakin me out though. I think it was the Viper Blade or something?
Every time I see Gospel using play dead, I have the bad habit of wasting my time waiting until he reappear to kill him :p

Haha, sometimes I see you use invisibility and stand right next to me without doing anything while ii'm playing dead. I'm all like, do you really think i don't know you're there, lol. Those are some nerve racking 15 seconds though.

If you're near a monster/someone (close enough to melee), you put the stylus on the touch screen and hold it there, then you press left or right on the circle pad. You'll do a dash around them and they'll stay at the center of the screen.
I did not know that.

And knowing is half the battle...

/G.I. Joe
Oh i've noticed alright, which is why i was really leaning on my play dead gimmick in a ton of our matches yesterday. You guys are seriously humbling and keep me on my toes. I can't remember what weapon it was that you had that kept freakin me out though. I think it was the Viper Blade or something?
You might be thinking about my Goal Blade, the stats on that thing are insane but I don't use it much since it's a little slow and it's charge shots don't track well. In the hands of a more capable fighter I would imagine that it would be pretty annoying to say the least ;)
Also, if you haven't yet, change your ground sensitivity to max fast for x and y sensitivity and to where your stylus stops the the reticle quickly.

Just check it out and see if you like it. It helps me play better because i'm able too look around quicker.
I tried to play around with those settings early on but it seemed like I was making things worse so I went back to the defaults. Now that I'm more comfortable with the game I may try to tweek them like you suggest.

Another thing I have to work on is most of my forged weapons are designed for LvD so I kept all my weapons at 299 or below. Is there a penalty in free for all that makes using higher level weapons ill advised?

Korosenai

I did not know that.

And knowing is half the battle...

/G.I. Joe

Also, if you haven't yet, change your ground sensitivity to max fast for x and y sensitivity and to where your stylus stops the the reticle quickly.

Just check it out and see if you like it. It helps me play better because i'm able too look around quicker.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
You might be thinking about my Goal Blade, the stats on that thing are insane but I don't use it much since it's a little slow and it's charge shots don't track well. In the hands of a more capable fighter I would imagine that it would be pretty annoying to say the least ;)

I tried to play around with those settings early on but it seemed like I was making things worse so I went back to the defaults. Now that I'm more comfortable with the game I may try to tweek them like you suggest.

Another thing I have to work on is most of my forged weapons are designed for LvD so I kept all my weapons at 299 or below. Is there a penalty in free for all that makes using higher level weapons ill advised?
Yeah, I think that's the one It kept messing with my charge shots. If you could beef it up with one of the powers that charge up your attacks I might've had to rethink my plans.

On another note, it would've been nice if there was a co-op mode or something. Could've been useful for getting getting weapons and stuff/showing-off with a group of friends or whatever. It's too bad there'll never be a sequel.

ffdgh

Yeah, I think that's the one It kept messing with my charge shots. If you could beef it up with one of the powers that charge up your attacks I might've had to rethink my plans.

On another note, it would've been nice if there was a co-op mode or something. Could've been useful for getting getting weapons and stuff/showing-off with a group of friends or whatever. It's too bad there'll never be a sequel.

24 years to go....

Korosenai

We're lucky we even got an online multiplayer mode that actually works.

Unless I'm wrong, in FFA the person who kills you get 250 points if you have a weapon at 250, etc...
That makes sense and gives good incentive to use lower level weapons if you want to win on points.

I'm going to do some forging before I jump in again so the Goal blade may get sacrificed. I used to have forging down to a science in terms of combining my lower level weapons and slowly building them up but it's been so long now that I'm out of practice. I'm sure there are cheat guides out there but that ruins the fun.

Prinny

Ok, that was pretty cool. Reflector at the last sec.

I was trying new powers during the last games, quick charge with d.bow is nice.
Viridi’s palm with invisible shots is even better.

GG!

It takes me forever to type with the vita

Bleh, another problem with this phoenix arm is the charge shot has terrible range.

Edit: Good games Prinny. Damn you and your transparency mind games!!!
Ok, that was pretty cool. Reflector at the last sec.
I'm trying to get better with that. It's the best way to combat the transparent/play dead charge shot to the face lol

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
hXSrHjv.jpg

Sweet, I just had my best free for all victory. 12 kills 2 deaths with 3455 points.

My weapon of choice: Silver Bow 271 / 5 R / 2 M
It's all about that +4 Fwd Dash Charge Shot. It can do up to 200 damage up close. And it seems that the Silver Bow can pass through enemies to get a second kill. I've gotten MANY double kills just charging into a pack of people and releasing a shot.

Recently I've been using the Play Dead / Power Charge and have been doing nasty damage. This thing can do 400+ damage up close on Fwd Dash Ch shots. While the Play Dead power is really cool, it may not be all that necessary. Maybe a transparency/invisible shots would be better. The Silver Bow does a great job homing in.

Pretty cool! What's your best FFA point victories? Is 3000+ pretty good for GAF?

Top Bottom