• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So bear with me if you will: bought this game day1, I think it's fantastic.
But I never play it, I'm still way behind on the sp part. Why? I can't force myself to always use the stand and I couldn't find a decent way to play without it (mainly using the L button), not even in 2D (nevermind in 3D, which I play with 95% of the time on 3DS).
Any tips, suggestions on control methods?

You're my only hope Uprising GAF

I don't know if its been mentioned already but:

Hold the system using your right pinky behind the screen. That's the trick.

Grip the stylus like a pencil, obviously. You can either use your left pinky on the bottom of the 3DS or just keep your entire palm behind it. I already mapped the "use Powers" button to the R trigger, so my pinky can just lift down an activate it and not have to use the Dpad or buttons.

Korosenai

Grip the stylus like a pencil, obviously. You can either use your left pinky on the bottom of the 3DS or just keep your entire palm behind it. I already mapped the "use Powers" button to the R trigger, so my pinky can just lift down an activate it and not have to use the Dpad or buttons.

I hold mine in my different ways. I had to use the stand for my reg. 3DS because I couldn't find a comfortable way to hold it, but now with the XL, I can do whatever with it.

ffdgh

http://i.imgur.com/hXSrHjv.jpg[IMG]

Sweet, I just had my best free for all victory. 12 kills 2 deaths with 3455 points.

My weapon of choice: Silver Bow 271 / 5 R / 2 M
It's all about that +4 Fwd Dash Charge Shot. It can do up to 200 damage up close. And it seems that the Silver Bow can pass through enemies to get a second kill. I've gotten MANY double kills just charging into a pack of people and releasing a shot.

Recently I've been using the Play Dead / Power Charge and have been doing nasty damage. This thing can do 400+ damage up close on Fwd Dash Ch shots. While the Play Dead power is really cool, it may not be all that necessary. Maybe a transparency/invisible shots would be better. The Silver Bow does a great job homing in.

Pretty cool! What's your best FFA point victories? Is 3000+ pretty good for GAF?[/QUOTE]

haha nice. 3000-3800 for me with eye track/arlon obitars cheapness with Shot range and homing +3

with energy charge, slipshot, quick charge, and a nice hiding spot :P.

Def Jukie

Anybody have any extra AR cards they are looking to unload? I would gladly take some off your hands for a reasonable price. Send me a PM if you are interested. I've got some extras I could trade as well. I'm looking for North American cards only.

ffdgh

Hmm I suppose thats it for me after a few more since my 3ds should die second now. GGS all and prinny if I disappear XD

Annd dead...Did we win?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Good games guys, that was fun. First playing online with friends on 3DS. I need to add you guys from tonight. My code is 3711-7239-3957

Heh light can finally have it's time to shine.

Oh and the arlon orbitars came from random fusing Shot homing/range +3 on weapons for fun.

Orbitar sniping never gets old.

4768-8177-0708
I need to get my forging game up. I'm getting one-shotted left and right and I can't return the favor :'(

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So bear with me if you will: bought this game day1, I think it's fantastic.
But I never play it, I'm still way behind on the sp part. Why? I can't force myself to always use the stand and I couldn't find a decent way to play without it (mainly using the L button), not even in 2D (nevermind in 3D, which I play with 95% of the time on 3DS).
Any tips, suggestions on control methods?

You're my only hope Uprising GAF

Your bot still kicked ass if it makes you feel better. I'm done at 11 Prinny, get your transparency hits in while you still can :p

Edit: And that's a wrap. Good games everybody, until next time!

That's a though one to answer, the default control scheme with the stand is all that I've ever used and while it took time it eventually clicked and I like it a lot now. I can't play without the stand at all, the game is much too hectic.

I can't stand the stand *cough* so I hold the 3DS by putting the little finger of my right hand behind the 3DS and the lower right corner of the 3DS in the palm of my right hand.
I use my ring finger to press Y/A to select powers and B to activate them.
I hold the stylus with the remaining 3 fingers.

I play every touch screen games holding it that way now, I hate it when I can't move with a handheld.

Oh no, please don't. You become invisible and invincible for 30s-1m if you don't move. And you can attack too.
At least with transparency you can still get hit and autoreticle is great against it.

I dont know if you noticed but I've gotten pretty good over the last few play sessions at spoting play dead and getting the hell out of the way before getting charge-shot. I just keep an eye on my bodycount but I'm still getting caught when it looks like someone got taken out by a stray shot here and there. I'm assuming that you higher level players are keeping an eye on the same thing. Part of the fun of the multiplayer is adjusting to the deadly combos people come up with so I'd hate to see you abandon staffs.

I tried playing like that but my fingers cramp up too much. Are you on a 3DS or XL? I'm pretty used to the stand now but KI is the only game I use with it.

I need to take a closer look at some of the skills. The game doesn't do a great job of explaining all of their properties and I have a feeling that some can be combined into special combos that I haven't discovered yet.

I did finally finish the single player but I just realized on one of the later chapters that you lose treasure when you get killed so now I have to go back through and make sure I got all of the Zodiac items. I assumed that they got unlocked if you just find them but I was wrong :(

Thanks guys, I should've mentioned I own the O3DS, but I'll try to apply your tips nontheless.
I'd be interested in the XL but I honestly fear how bad the gfx would scale and how much more prominent the jaggies would be on that big screen since the low ass resolution of 3DS games already bothers me on a regular 3DS. It's too bad I never had the chance to see the XL in action.

So, just beat the game last night. Wow just Wow

ANOTHER Treasure Hunt board?!?! I'm going to be at this game for MONTHS. Also that last Hades monologue is amazing! Now I really hope Hades is in the next Smash in some way, even if it's just a little thing like that.

Also, looking at the cast finally, they really did get some amazing actors for this game. Who knew
Dyntos/Chariot Master
was voiced by the original Skeletor? And I honestly thought Pandora and Medusa (not spoilering because they've been shown in trailers) were both voiced by Cree Summer, but I guess not, her and Nika Futterman sound a lot alike.

I really REALLY hope Nintendo can keep it up as far as hiring top notch VAs go. Like I said in another thread, since KI: Uprising is very much a Paper Mario Game + Voice Acting, I'd love to see a cast like this in a new Paper Mario game.

And welp, I read the guide for fusing weapons and it looks like I got a LOT of work ahead of me if I want to start tackling the 9.0 difficulties.

So, just beat the game last night. Wow just Wow

ANOTHER Treasure Hunt board?!?! I'm going to be at this game for MONTHS. Also that last Hades monologue is amazing! Now I really hope Hades is in the next Smash in some way, even if it's just a little thing like that.

Also, looking at the cast finally, they really did get some amazing actors for this game. Who knew
Dyntos/Chariot Master
was voiced by the original Skeletor? And I honestly thought Pandora and Medusa (not spoilering because they've been shown in trailers) were both voiced by Cree Summer, but I guess not, her and Nika Futterman sound a lot alike.

I really REALLY hope Nintendo can keep it up as far as hiring top notch VAs go. Like I said in another thread, since KI: Uprising is very much a Paper Mario Game + Voice Acting, I'd love to see a cast like this in a new Paper Mario game.

And welp, I read the guide for fusing weapons and it looks like I got a LOT of work ahead of me if I want to start tackling the 9.0 difficulties.

It looks like they're keepig up that practice, because just about every big name in anime is in Fire Emblem: Awakening. Yuri Lowenthal, Kyle Hebert, Laura Bailey, Travis Willingham, Fake Troy Baker
Matthew Mercer
, the list goes on and on. Let's just hope they can keep this good VA momentum going!

Just getting started into this game. So far it's fantastic :D

Welcome to the party, you have a lot of epic surprises in store.

Speaking of surprises is it just me or do playing levels on higher difficulties trigger new dialog? I played Chapter 7 at 8.0 the other day and got Palutena's "Big monsters kill Pit grrrrrr!" dialog and I just played Chapter 3 and heard a line about Pit's balding wings. I've played these chapters several times before and had never heard these lines.

ffdgh

Welcome to the party, you have a lot of epic surprises in store.

Speaking of surprises is it just me or do playing levels on higher difficulties trigger new dialog? I played Chapter 7 at 8.0 the other day and got Palutena's "Big monsters kill Pit grrrrrr!" dialog and I just played Chapter 3 and heard a line about Pit's balding wings. I've played these chapters several times before and had never heard these lines.

Nah it all random and weapons have an affect too.

Play chapter 3 (and possibly others) with a bow and you may hear a cool easter egg :D

Nekki

Running through chapter 8. Been doing it mostly on intensity 5, though i died a couple times in chapter 3 I think.

The game is superb, the dialogue is fun, and the voice acting is quite good. Environments are diverse and the art direction is beautiful.

That scene in the desert and when the waters are split by Poseidon, that was awesome!

Top Bottom