• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

I still don't get how melee combat works on this game... really... but I just dash a lot and spam powers, so...

I think of it like this, in a clash, as long as you see someone, you'll attack again till someone misses. Usually though I'd just backdash and fire a blow and it tends to hit.

Just finished the game. My total time on the Activity Program was 30 hours. Blimey!

Anyway, excellent game overall, loved pretty much every minute of it. Some very unique levels, awesome boss fights and a good story which was delivered by excellent voice acting. The first for a Nintendo game? They should do more! Cool music too.

I enjoyed the air combat a bit more than ground combat, but that's the Star Fox, Sin and Punishment, and Space Harrier fan in me. Some of the narrow platforms were a bit annoying during the ground areas, and the camera had an occasional hitch. Same old story for 3rd person games though so can't really complain too much!

I actually played a good 10 hours or so online which I really got into. It's quite simple with just a couple of modes, but it's really addictive and since the matches are over so quickly it's great to dip in and out of. No issues with connections or anything. Nintendo really can do this shit well when they want to, same with MK7.

It's one of most enjoyable Nintendo games I've played in years for sure, which is saying a lot really as their output quality is very high. Everything about the game oozes quality, from that insane amount of weapons you can choose from, upgrades, collectables, slick difficulty risk/reward mechanic and just the while feel of the game is very, very high standard. Really impressed. It's funny too, it had me chuckling away at some of the conversations going on which is pretty much a rarity in videogames. Nintendo are really good at writing witty lines though, and this is perhaps the best I've seen.

Would love a sequel one day perhaps, maybe even a Wii U version running at 60fps - THAT would be RAD!

Now onto Paper Mario 3DS. Can't wait!

Yikes! I just hope I can earn the necessary amount for fusions and conversions to unlock some of the achievements. I think off the 30 street tags I've gotten, only one was a KI tag.

CassSept

After much putting off I finally bought the game. Wow it's fun. I've only completed first two chapters but they made a strong impression. Presentation is great, 3D works great and doesn't strain the eyes, despite the rapid pace of the game. Love the writing, Nintendo surprised me here.

Controls in the sky work much better than I imagined, while I'm still having some problems with controls on the ground.

I'm also confused and overwhelmed by the sheer amount of content this game has. I'm somewhat scared, seems like a lot to digest. Maybe some KI wiki will help me get started.

Anteo

After much putting off I finally bought the game. Wow it's fun. I've only completed first two chapters but they made a strong impression. Presentation is great, 3D works great and doesn't strain the eyes, despite the rapid pace of the game. Love the writing, Nintendo surprised me here.

Controls in the sky work much better than I imagined, while I'm still having some problems with controls on the ground.

I'm also confused and overwhelmed by the sheer amount of content this game has. I'm somewhat scared, seems like a lot to digest. Maybe some KI wiki will help me get started.

Don't please, you may get spoiled by accident.

CassSept

I just checked it briefly to learn more or less what the deal with weapons (weapon fusions etc) and idols is. I managed to avoid spoilers, yay!

Anyway, holy smokes I'm really digging this game. It's crazy, it's hectic, it's addicting. I'm getting used to controls and now it's getting better and better.

The banter between Palutena and Pit is amusing. That cheese, everywhere. The script is ridiculous, but it works.

Overall, despite all the praise I'm surprised. Kid Icarus has become somewhat of a cult classic, but it's such a non-noteworthy game. It's just there, but there isn't really anything special about it. This right there is an excellent revival, I know Sakurai doesn't plan on doing a sequel but I hope Nintendo doesn't drop the ip just like that. It would help greatly diversifying their first party output in terms of genres.

vareon

I just checked it briefly to learn more or less what the deal with weapons (weapon fusions etc) and idols is. I managed to avoid spoilers, yay!

Anyway, holy smokes I'm really digging this game. It's crazy, it's hectic, it's addicting. I'm getting used to controls and now it's getting better and better.

The banter between Palutena and Pit is amusing. That cheese, everywhere. The script is ridiculous, but it works.

Overall, despite all the praise I'm surprised. Kid Icarus has become somewhat of a cult classic, but it's such a non-noteworthy game. It's just there, but there isn't really anything special about it. This right there is an excellent revival, I know Sakurai doesn't plan on doing a sequel but I hope Nintendo doesn't drop the ip just like that. It would help greatly diversifying their first party output in terms of genres.

The crazy thing is the banter gets better.

heringer

Just got this. Pretty cool.

Dashing in air battles is completely counterintuitive though. Why not do the same as land battle or at least two taps in the same direction? I think the manual doesn't even mention this move which is weird.

Just got this. Pretty cool.

Dashing in air battles is completely counterintuitive though. Why not do the same as land battle or at least two taps in the same direction? I think the manual doesn't even mention this move which is weird.

Yeah, it's a pretty hidden thing which is irritating. You can only dodge when you're not firing, if that helps. I still have trouble, haven't got the treasure hunt panel for dodging 20 things yet.

How did we win that with so few points?

Oh...

Edit: Trying to give me a taste of my own medicine Medley? Don't be mad, it's litterally the last good weapon I have left. I wasted my others on bad forges :/

Edit2: You might as well join us Medley and then I'll turn up the CPUs. They're practically evil on higher levels :)

Edit: Trying to give me a taste of my own medicine Medley? Don't be mad, it's litterally the last good weapon I have left. I wasted my others on bad forges :/

Yes and that expains why I see it so much.

edit2: OK

edit3: on second thought, maybe its fine like this. lol. You were fine till we met in a dark alleyway. ;D

Shooting through the walls with those club ranged attacks. Buncha bot cheaters!

Oh oops, Double post! Shame on me for posting from two devices.

Top Bottom