• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

I have been playing this non-stop throughout the weekend (well in between barbecue sessions :p).

It's a typical Sakurai game: hyper energetic, beautiful music, simple gameplay but mad-packed with content and customization.

The dialogue IS outstanding - I thought it would be annoying but at this point, half the game is listening to the discussions.

hatchx

Banned
I have been playing this non-stop throughout the weekend (well in between barbecue sessions :p).

It's a typical Sakurai game: hyper energetic, beautiful music, simple gameplay but mad-packed with content and customization.

The dialogue IS outstanding - I thought it would be annoying but at this point, half the game is listening to the discussions.

How do you find the controls? Have you tested different control schemes, specifically the Sin and Punishment style controls?

Also is there team customization in multiplayer? Can you setup 2 VS 4 or 2 VS 2 for example?

How do you find the controls? Have you tested different control schemes, specifically the Sin and Punishment style controls?

Also is there team customization in multiplayer? Can you setup 2 VS 4 or 2 VS 2 for example?

Only played with the default control scheme. The controls don't work 100% fine, but you get used to them. It seems like control will be one of the "eh" points of the game though.

NeoRausch

got mine todayaay got mine todaaayaay suck it GAF!

bkG7T.jpg

:3

seems to be an 8.5 overall, just a bid sad for sakurai that it doesn't get 9.0+ but i myself don't care for scores and i like the game a lot.

Wizpig

Run for your life & cancel your preorder NAO!
VoltySquirrel
Sad day, it is. Oh well. Guess that's one less game I have to buy. Thanks for the warning, Jim.

Nitex
Wow this looked like the best thing 3ds had to offer. Really sucks its crap . Ah well I never was going to get one anyway.

THANKS JIM!

ryushe

I gotta' say, the format of that video review was really cleaver of IGN. Kudos. :lol

Also, as I've feared, it seems as if the stylus only controls can get demanding after a while.

Oh well, thank god I still have this then:
nintendo-ds-feature-a-day-2-20041110005749087-001.jpg

Ragus

Banned
That destructoid review is very weird. Basically when he HAS to compliment on something, he suddenly pulls out his wild card "awful controls lol".

I dunno. Metroid Prime Hunters controls seemed fine to me. I hope I also won't be bothered by them in KI.

Wizpig

"professional" opinions are powerful
We only ask that you act respectfully and above all: don't be a troll and ruin it for everyone else. Don't bring down gamers or we'll, you know, gently shoot you in the face and stuff you into a flaming mailbox.

Wonder what happens when the reviewer is a troll, though.

@Diprosalic: a guy who will give 10/10 if a game has "Kirby" in its name, because it's usually so easy and fun! ^o^ that's enough! but other games? must... get... hits... for the website...
The Mario Kart 7 5/10 review is another awesome case.

Also a comment said something about checking the Nintendo Facebook page for comments (dunno if positive, negative, trollish, i couldn't find a single weird thing about them)

Neiteio

The controls seem to be the frustrating part, as expected. I will have to practice simply moving around on the ground once I get my copy. That, and take frequent breaks. I can see the content's worth exploring, but the controls will take some accomodating.

Also, nothing sounded trolling about the Sterling review to me. It actually sounded perfectly reasonable and about what I had expected.

Hopefully collecting all the AR cards won't be a major pain the in the rear. Already ordered the Club Nintendo free ones and will probably pick up the upcoming Nintendo Power that has one.

Kusagari

I don't see what was so wrong with Sterling's review. He only harped on the very thing people have feared about the game this entire time. The ground controls.

Wizpig

He's known for being a joke character in the industry. He gave Deadly Premonition a 10 and games like Assassin's Creed 2 a 3/10 or something.
Not the best example, because those votes are probably right that way.

A (imho) better example: 4 (or 5, i don't remember) out of 10 @ Sonic Colours.
5/10 @ Mario Kart 7.

etc.
Joke character indeed, most of the time.

DarkWish

Hopefully collecting all the AR cards won't be a major pain the in the rear. Already ordered the Club Nintendo free ones and will probably pick up the upcoming Nintendo Power that has one.
Seems most of the cards are found in booster packs that are given away at various events, so you'd have to try to get those. I hope Nintendo finds a way to mass distribute those... I'd even pay for some, if they wanted to sell those booster packs.

Sinthetic

When the reviews all same the same thing (uncomfortable to play after 30 minutes), it's time to just take it for the truth. I can see this going either way for me...

1. Hurts initially, like MK7, but I quickly adapt to it and love the game.
2. Hurts all the time and I stick the game on eBay.

Either way, I'm itching for a new 3DS game.

Wizpig

When the reviews all same the same thing (uncomfortable to play after 30 minutes), it's time to just take it for the truth. I can see this going either way for me...

1. Hurts initially, like MK7, but I quickly adapt to it and love the game.
2. Hurts all the time and I stick the game on eBay.

Either way, I'm itching for a new 3DS game.
3. Metroid Prime Hunters style; destroys your hands in the first few days (DAYS, not hours), but then you adapt, because you still want to play the game as it is good.

I'm not saying it's a good thing that the game gives cramps, etc, mind you.

I'm just thinking that reviewers get their games for free and whine if they don't like controls in the first few minutes -- players pay for the game and, if they really like it, can do amazing things. :)P)

I'm left handed and i adapted to right handed controls for The Rolling Western!

3. Metroid Prime Hunters style; destroys your hands in the first few days (DAYS, not hours), but then you adapt, because you still want to play the game as it is good.

I'm just thinking that reviewers get their games for free and whine if they don't like controls in the first few minutes -- players pay for the game and, if they really like it, can do amazing things. :)P)

People keep saying this about Prime. I never ever found it, in fact I found the DS a better system for FPS that dual analogues...

Ah well, I've just got special hands I suppose :D

Bagu

I remember reviews saying the Metroid Prime Hunters would give you cramps too.
I never experienced that; the only pain I felt was getting my ass handed to me online.

Sinthetic

Hope so mate, I don't want to dislike a Sakurai game.

Jim Sterling, like usual.
I feel like Destructoid is like those paparazi magazine, with naked stars inside this, or the photo of Tom Cruise eating an ice cream.

The Lamp

I gotta' say, the format of that video review was really cleaver of IGN. Kudos. :lol

Also, as I've feared, it seems as if the stylus only controls can get demanding after a while.

Oh well, thank god I still have this then:
nintendo-ds-feature-a-day-2-20041110005749087-001.jpg

Don't see why people like this. The little plastic nib moves around unless you cut off circulation to your thumb.

Top Bottom