• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Eeeeh, Jim Sterling cannot be considered a serious reviewer right now, come on, seriously.
Is it true that Game Informer doesn't like not-dual-analog shooter controls? I remember a bad score ( 6.5 ) for Goldeneye, which hadn't any problem of controls...maybe they gave something particular also to one of the last CODs on Wii...

However, generally, it seems ground controls are a bit ostic, especially in the beginning.

zroid

Banned
Hmm, watched the IGN "video" review, haha.

Surprisingly good. Rich really seems to get it, if that makes any sense. At least it seems he put in the effort to understand the game's many intricacies.

Firemind

Ghost Trick is in denial there may be some serious problems with the controls, as evidenced by every review so far.

Not every review. Reviews are largely opinion pieces. Nothing more, nothing less. Some may find it acceptable, others may find it unacceptable. It's probably best if you find it out for yourself.

jesusraz

Cubed3's review is now live, as the embargo is up:

9/10: http://www.cubed3.com/review/1095

Kid Icarus: Uprising was always going to be a risky move from Nintendo, pegging it as one of the key Nintendo 3DS titles right from launch, but thankfully it was delayed long enough for Masahiro Sakurai and his team at Sora Ltd to spend sufficient time ironing out as many of the issues raised in early preview builds as possible. The end result is a thoroughly entertainment mix of air- and ground-based shooting that never slows down, throwing all manner of new challenges at the player, incentivising the whole process to ensure replay levels are as high as possible. The intense multiplayer options are merely the icing on an already very delicious cake.

So basically, if I understand correctly, the game controls with you moving via the control pad and you use the stylus for attacking/other on screen actions?

Glancing through the reviews, it doesn't look like right-handers are in a great boat, either(I'm left-handed, I mean). So the controls are an issue for everyone because you have to hold the 3DS with you left hand(while controling the circle pad) while trying to keep the 3D in-line(for those who use it).

Guys, how about this:

the-comfort-stylus-20060410045841826-000.jpg

I've never used one, but as I imagine it, you could then hold the 3DS somewhat regularly and just reach over with your thumb. This would also help left-handed people since it's a lot easier to be accurate with a thumb vs. your hand/arm.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Got my Pre-order set up, awaiting dispatch :)
saw the link to the Jim Sterling reveiw, expect a crap score, suprise suprise, it had one, who'd thunk it??

anyways how S&P-alike is the game?
nearest comparisions to other games?

does it support CPP?

err that's it really

Qapla!!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Not every review. Reviews are largely opinion pieces. Nothing more, nothing less. Some may find it acceptable, others may find it unacceptable. It's probably best if you find it out for yourself.
Who doesn't mention the controls?

Yo guys, don't take *INSERT REVIEWER HERE*'s review seriously. Their opinion is totally invalid cause it's different from mine even though I haven't played the game yet. These controls kick all sorts of perfect ass *even though I haven't played the game yet*.

I'm hearing plenty of valid complaints about the ground controls being less than good. Poor controls can be enough to ruin a gameplay experience.

Like twentytwo said, some people are going to adapt to it no problem, others are going to be miserable (especially left handers).

Looking forward to grabbing it on Wednesday and trying it for myself.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yo guys, don't take *INSERT REVIEWER HERE*'s review seriously. Their opinion is totally invalid cause it's different from mine even though I haven't played the game yet. These controls kick all sorts of perfect ass *even though I haven't played the game yet*.

I'm hearing plenty of valid complaints about the ground controls being less than good. Poor controls can be enough to ruin a gameplay experience.

Like twentytwo said, some people are going to adapt to it no problem, others are going to be miserable (especially left handers).

Eeeeh, the fact is that Jim Sterling is a troll. I can't consider his reviews seriously.

Bagu

Is it true that Game Informer doesn't like not-dual-analog shooter controls? I remember a bad score ( 6.5 ) for Goldeneye, which hadn't any problem of controls...maybe they gave something particular also to one of the last CODs on Wii...

Game Informer
"Using the Wii Remote as a pointer for first-person shooters sucks"

kanugo

Eurogamer.net

Kid Icarus: Uprising is a strong, pretty game turned into an essential one by way of its surrounding infrastructure. Its weave of systems hauls you back in to replay stages time after time; the sense of progress and acquisition is a powerful, irresistible loop. Most significantly, it reveals a Nintendo we haven't seen for some time, eager to innovate in ways that will excite its hardcore fans, focusing on competition, struggle and mastery. Reaching for the sky.

9/10.

Truth101

Banned

Doesn't change the fact that Jim Sterling does troll reviews.

Eeeeh, the fact is that Jim Sterling is a troll. I can't consider his reviews seriously.

I don't buy that that's a fact. Looking at this single review and taking it as is, there's absolutely nothing unreasonable about the opinion expressed therein. The pros and cons are very clearly laid out, and there's certainly no trolling that I can see.

I'm not even saying I agree with his review. How can I agree or disagree with a review of a game that I've never even played? That'd be RIDICULOUS. As for the issues he's had, it certainly seems to be consistent with other complaints. The only difference is that he gave it a 5 due to what he felt were poor controls vs other reviewers giving it 8's and 9's DESPITE the poor controls.

Again, everyone has different ways of adapting so I might not have issues picking up in playing.

zroid

Banned
@people who are hating on Jim Sterling -- c'mon now. If you really read any of his reviews, you'll instantly see he's a very brutally honest individual. That's his style. Don't confuse his reviews with his persona which is an intentionally nonchalant troll.

What you do need to understand about him is that he's a very emotional reviewer. He latches onto things that either impress or displease him, and often they become magnified as the game progresses. This is not a "wrong" way to critique games -- it's just his way. He very rarely tries to compromise to the game's whims, instead demanding that the experience be suited to his own needs from the beginning.

It's a perfectly valid review style, and it's part of why he can give a score of 10 to a game like Deadly Premonition. It shows that he cares more about how the game makes him feel than anything else. He was obviously frustrated with the mechanics of Uprising, so the score reflects that. Even so, reading his review, you can see that he genuinely appreciated the vast amount of content that was in the game.

It's a fair review. As was his MK7 review, if you actually read it.

--

oh shit, as I see more scores coming in, maybe my 7.9 wasn't too far off after all! 7.9 7.9 7.9 dammit metacritic, update yo ass.

Conor 419

Banned
@people who are hating on Jim Sterling -- c'mon now. If you really read any of his reviews, you'll instantly see he's a very brutally honest individual. That's his style. Don't confuse his reviews with his persona which is an intentionally nonchalant troll.

What you do need to understand about him is that he's a very emotional reviewer. He latches onto things that either impress or displease him, and often they become magnified as the game progresses. This is not a "wrong" way to critique games -- it's just his way. He very rarely tries to compromise to the game's whims, instead demanding that the experience be suited to his own needs from the beginning.

It's a perfectly valid way to review games, and it's part of why he can give a score of 10 to a game like Deadly Premonition. It shows that he cares more about how the game makes him feel than anything else. He was obviously frustrated with the mechanics of Uprising, so the score reflects that. Even so, reading his review, you can see that he genuinely appreciated the vast amount of content that was in the game.

I'm sorry, but a 3/10 for AC2 sealed JS's fate long ago.

BowieZ

Banned
Why are people even using the stylus? Just use your thumb..? And you'll rarely break the 3D effect.

I plowed thru Dillon's Rolling Western without touching my stylus and that required CONSTANT TOUCHING and SLIDING to control. My thumb eventually ached slightly lol but that was cos I was addicted to a very good game.

Im not worried about moving the camera + targeting with my thumb...

Hell, it's not as though we don't have people from this VERY THREAD saying similar things about the controls from initial impressions.

twentytwo22:
-I've gotten used to the air controls -- they are alright. The ground controls seem really bad. I'm a semi-ambidexterous left-hander, so it might be more a problem with me than anything -- I tried to customize it every which way (including the add-on slide pad, which felt so weird), but ended up just going back to the defaults and doing my best. The controls are going to be a serious point of contention with this game -- I can see some people having no issues, and others will be up-in-arms

Controls are clearly going to be hit or miss with people. 5 seems totally reasonable if it was a miss to someone.

Really? I had absolutely no problem with MPH, I thought it was one of the best control schemes on the DS, so I guess this game will control just fine for me

Yeah, same here. I never once had an issue with hand cramping. However, it might be an issues with the 3DS because it is a lot more uncomfortable for the hands compared to the original DS.

I really don't see whats so difficult with just holding the system in the left hand, and placing part of your right hand on the other side, whilst your fingers use the stylus...

zroid

Banned
I'm sorry, but a 3/10 for AC2 sealed JS's fate long ago.

I know many, many people who hated AC2. Most of them just didn't review the game. It was more polarizing than you might believe. Also, I read that review and once again, there was nothing particularly unreasonable about it.

Sterling is a guy who is easy to disagree with, but to try and invalidate his opinions somehow is just silly.

----

anyway, moving on from the review drama, GOTTA LET DAT HYPE SEEP BACK INTO MY PORES

It's a perfectly valid review style, and it's part of why he can give a score of 10 to a game like Deadly Premonition. It shows that he cares more about how the game makes him feel than anything else. He was obviously frustrated with the mechanics of Uprising, so the score reflects that. Even so, reading his review, you can see that he genuinely appreciated the vast amount of content that was in the game.

--

oh shit, as I see more scores coming in, maybe my 7.9 wasn't too far off after all! 7.9 7.9 7.9 dammit metacritic, update yo ass.

Mario Kart 7 = 5/10 "Blablabla full of recycling"
Modern Warfare 3 = 9,5/10 "Blablabla no problem, no recycling"
Jim Sterling
26.gif

NeoRausch

NintendoWorldReport said:
Five Totally Rad Things About Kid Icarus: Uprising

1. Weapons Fusions Are Addictive, Rewarding, and Daunting:
Weapon fusions are big mechanic of the game, and thankfully, it's kind of wonderful. Fans of Excel spreadsheets like myself enjoy looking through the grid of different possibilities, scheming to see which new weapon I want to make. Maybe I want a new Bowl Arm or an improved Paw Pad Orbitars. The game also smartly gives you at least one new weapon a level. Even if it is a crappy weapon, you can still use it to make or get something better.

2. The Story Is Completely Insane in the Best Possible Way:
You know how it seemed ridiculous that Pit fights Space Pirates in this game? Well, that's only the beginning. I can't go into full details, but this game goes from relatively crazy to completely absurd. The best part, though, is that as convoluted as it gets, it's actually easy to follow.

3. It Has A Stupid Amount of Unlockables:
You know how Super Smash Bros. Brawl had all this stuff to unlock? Well, that same team is delivering the same ridiculous amount of unlockables to Kid Icarus: Uprising. You've got weapons, powers, new multiplayer stages, and much more.

4. The Music Is Fantastic and the Voice Acting Is Legitimately Funny:
For as dumb as Pit can sound, his voice acting is rather stellar. Additionally, so is every other character. The best part, though, is that the game is actually funny. The banter between Pit and Palutena is fresh, irreverent, and amusing. The occasional out-of-place joke might distract you, but for the most part, it's just awesome complementary noise. It goes well with the music, which is really really good.

5. The Multiplayer Has Potential:
So far, I've only played the multiplayer against the AI, which is actually good and has made for some excellent matches. However, I can see the potential of this game being, as some have said, Smash Bros. from the third-person perspective. There are goofy items and other zany things to complement the fun third-person combat.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/29559

zroid

Banned
Mario Kart 7 = 5/10 "Blablabla full of recycling"
Modern Warfare 3 = 9,5/10 "Blablabla no problem, no recycling"
Jim Sterling
26.gif

I don't even know how people can make that argument, as they are completely different games. As I said, he reviews emotionally. He still likes the Modern Warfare games; those concepts have not gotten old for him. On the other hand, he's tired of samey Kart racers. It's not our place to tell him what types of games he should and shouldn't like.

Conor 419

Banned
I know many, many people who hated AC2. Most of them just didn't review the game. It was more polarizing than you might believe. Also, I read that review and once again, there was nothing particularly unreasonable about it.

Sterling is a guy who is easy to disagree with, but to try and invalidate his opinions somehow is just silly.

----

anyway, moving on from the review drama, GOTTA LET DAT HYPE SEEP BACK INTO MY PORES

I'm sure it'd you'd be able to provide a 'reasonable' justification for giving games like ME2 or Super Mario Galaxy a 1/10 if you really wanted to, that's not to say I'd keep paying attention to the people that did afterwards.

If people want to ignore Jim Sterling, then they can quite rightly do so. There's a difference between personally disregarding someone and telling a whole community to.

I don't even know how people can make that argument, as they are completely different games. As I said, he reviews emotionally. He still likes the Modern Warfare games; those concepts have not gotten old for him. On the other hand, he's tired of samey Kart racers. It's not our place to tell him what types of games he should and shouldn't like.

I doesn't point those reviews about the fact they're the same or not. I point the fact that Jim Sterling bashed Mario Kart 7, by claiming that it's just a recycled game, as he didn't even mentionned this in Modern Warfare 3 review.

Then it sounds like his opinion is incredibly biased, if he can forgive one series for not moving forward, then condemn another series for not moving forward.

zroid

Banned
Then it sounds like his opinion is incredibly biased, if he can forgive one series for not moving forward, then condemn another series for not moving forward.

Um, yes? Of course he's biased. Everyone is biased. The hallmark of a good critic is putting those biases in enough context for your readers to understand them, and thereby still get something out of the review, even if they disagree.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

So? Video Game Reviewers shouldn't review the games with "biased" preferences.

zroid

Banned
But who will review the reviewers??

http://www.youtube.com/newchallenger

So? Video Game Reviewers shouldn't review the games with "biased" preferences.

That doesn't make any sense. If that's what you really wanted, you'd be better off reading fact sheets instead of reviews.

I'm sure it'd you'd be able to provide a 'reasonable' justification for giving games like ME2 or Super Mario Galaxy a 1/10 if you really wanted to, that's not to say I'd keep paying attention to the people that did afterwards.

If people want to ignore Jim Sterling, then they can quite rightly do so. There's a difference between personally disregarding someone and telling a whole community to.

Of course you can rightly ignore him! I'm not saying you need to take his reviews as gospel or even care what he thinks. But there's no need to go and tell everyone he's a shit reviewer just because his tastes don't necessarily align with yours. I probably disagree with him at least two thirds of the time, but I don't make a stink about it, as his reviews continue to be informative and interesting to read.

Anywho, I'm really psyched to try the multiplayer (wat). The Nintendo Direct from a little while ago actually got me hyped for something I didn't even initially want. It just looks so colorful, fast and frantic. Digging the customization options too.

Wish I could super flying get this SOB, but it looks like I'll have to settle for Wednesday after work. =(

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
http://www.youtube.com/newchallenger

That doesn't make any sense. If that's what you really wanted, you'd be better off reading fact sheets instead of reviews.

I might phrase my statement wrong but I will leave it as that. My point is that he isn't great reviewer because he is very biased and already gave few games a good rating when it don't deserved in first place. And gave other games bad reviews because they don't have what he want.

What's big deal with you and Jim Sterling. I never heard of him until this thread and I read few of his reviews. Apparently, I disagreed with him.

jonno394

Any one else in the UK seen the commercial for this? Had Spongebob on with my niece before work this morning and it came on at around 7.15. Was really impressed with it. I hope it gets a lot of exposure, if this doesn't break the top 10 UK chart it will be a damn shame.

zroid

Banned
What's big deal with you and Jim Sterling. I never heard of him until this thread and I read few of his reviews. Apparently, I disagreed with him.

Yeah, I've already spent way longer talking about him than I ever intended. No more Jim Sterling posts from me :p

----

Erm sorry but bias or no bias AC2 didn't deserve a 3/10. People may have personally disliked it just like there are people who dislike the highest reviewed games of all time. However, that doesn't warrant it a 3/10. That score is just plain obnoxious. AC2 wasn't flawless but it certainly didn't deserve that score.

Kusagari

He's said before why he did this. He felt that MW3 was still fun and MK7 wasn't.

He's biased. Every reviewer is. At least Sterling is blatant in letting people know about his. Probably why he gets so much hate.

Veal

Does anyone know if the Circle Pad Pro mode at least let you use the ZL button instead of the regular L button for right handers? It won't make or break my purchase, but it would be a nice gesture.

DynamicG

There is a difference between saying that something is functionally broken and then saying that you didn't like it. Sterling's review is interesting (to me) because it makes no clear distinction between those two. He (and many other reviewers) seem to use those interchangeably.

He even uses the existence of the stand to support his issues with the controls. "The stand exists, so this is clearly not a personal preference issue, the controls are broken."

I apparently have a really high tolerance for bad controls. I've liked a number of games with "bad" controls. With KI this was totally expected though. I don't think a single article since the debut hasn't mentioned the awkward controls that may be an issue for some.

These cycles of euphoria and despair that results from reviews are funny, but they also illustrate the problem with reducing something down to a one-category 10 point score. You get a number with no other measures of how the reviewer felt about it. I know there is a text review, but that little number is always stamped at the bottom followed by a summation of what that number means.

Gamers are a much more varied population than most would like to admit, but the review system in general is a relic of a more homogenous time when options were limited and people were expected to like the same kinds of games.

Top Bottom