• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Sure, if you're constantly accessing the subpins on TWEWY, then it'd be comparable. But you're not.

With Kid Icarus the majority of the time your hand will assume a 'claw' position, with very little variation. Leading to some of the cramps and whatnot some reviewers experienced.
Wii elbow has evolved into 3DS wrist.

Truth101

Banned
Sure, if you're constantly accessing the subpins on TWEWY, then it'd be comparable. But you're not.

With Kid Icarus the majority of the time your hand will assume a 'claw' position, with very little variation. Leading to some of the cramps and whatnot some reviewers experienced.

So, You haven't played the game, yet you are so sure that this is what will happen.

Enlightening.

What does it feel like to die?

So, You haven't played the game, yet you are so sure that this is what will happen.

Enlightening.

What does it feel like to die?

While I enjoy your attempt at being humorous, I made no such claims. Some reviewers experienced discomfort, cramps and pain. Various reviews have described the position that the 3DS is held and what controls are used in each section.

Relatively simple to decipher.

Have any of the reviews detailed how well the thumb pad works in place of the stylus? I just found my strap and put it in safe keeping until Friday!

Jarsonot

That's fantastic. Thank you for that completely useless and utterly irrelevant piece of information.

The individuals who complained about it in their respective reviews do. Key word: individuals.

Since the game hasn't released we're all hearing different people's impressions of how the controls hurt their hands. Another impression is not irrelevant, methinks.

Truth101

Banned
While I enjoy your attempt at being humorous, I made no such claims. Some reviewers experienced discomfort, cramps and pain. Various reviews have described the position that the 3DS is held and what controls are used in each section.

Relatively simple to decipher.

You said so yourself, everyone is an individual. Everyone experiences things differently.

Also I wasn't being humorous, I was mocking you.

Though, I am enjoying your attempt to make an intelligent and cohesive post.

Guuuuuuuys. I know you can't see this post through your tears, but seriously, the controls are obviously an issue for many. Get over it. Anyone who wants to play is just going to adapt.

Did anyone see my suggestion to use a wrap-around comfort stylus? In my mind, that's a viable, relatively comfortable solution. Someone also suggested just usIng your thumb, which also sounds like it might work. I think either way sounds better than trying to hold your 3DS with one hand.

I've been worried about this game ever since the stand announcement, but seriously, it looks too good to pass up, so I'm going to try to find a comfortable control scheme instead of bitching about Jim Sterling.

Jarsonot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEnLNpF9l3w

GameExplain has a pretty good video review up. Guy also has a problem with the controls but likes the game.

I think the controls are something I'll have to get used to. I'll probably initially find them difficult (based on reviews I've read) but I think I'll be playing the game enough to where eventually they'll be just fine.

It took me awhile to get used to dual-analog control in an FPS but now it's second nature.

Tiktaalik

The game's intense sections are clearly a strain on the hands but you'd think they'd change the gameplay or game systems to make it work instead of just shipping it with the duct tape fix of giving folks a little stand to perhaps ease the pain.

Tom_Cody

I know this control issue has been talked into the ground, but I want to drop something in here:

Isn't it a given that we will all become more used to these controls as time passes? These reviewers spent maybe a week with the title- won't gamers universally become more accustomed to them as the weeks/months go on?

I played through Star Fox Command to 100% completion and that game's control scheme was extremely similar. While not ergonomically ideal, in the end the imperfect controls became more of a footnote to my experience than an actual impediment to my enjoyment. I am stunned that so many of these reviews seem to be saying "I had a great time, but I need to dock the game 1-2 points because this ergonomic issue".

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I know this control issue has been talked into the ground, but I want to drop something in here:

Isn't it a given that we will all become more used to these controls as time passes? These reviewers spent maybe a week with the title- won't gamers universally become more accustomed to them as the weeks/months go on?

I played through Star Fox Command to 100% completion and that game's control scheme was extremely similar. While not ergonomically ideal, in the end the imperfect controls became more of a footnote to my experience than an actual impediment to my enjoyment. I am stunned that so many of these reviews seem to be saying "I had a great time, but I need to dock the game 1-2 points because this ergonomic issue".

Soon enough there will be glorious videos of people beating the game at highest difficulty with mad skills. Should be entertaining :)

Reknoc

I played through Star Fox Command to 100% completion and that game's control scheme was extremely similar.

I'm not seeing it. Star Fox Command did not use the touch screen all that much, unless that was an optional control scheme.

edit: I was wrong, it does seem pretty similar though every button is shoot which makes it more comfortable.

PK Gaming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEnLNpF9l3w

GameExplain has a pretty good video review up. Guy also has a problem with the controls but likes the game.

I think the controls are something I'll have to get used to. I'll probably initially find them difficult (based on reviews I've read) but I think I'll be playing the game enough to where eventually they'll be just fine.

It took me awhile to get used to dual-analog control in an FPS but now it's second nature.

Meh, his review was valid but I found his "bored and uninterested" tone a serious turn off. My apologies if thats how he normally sounds like, but it sounds like he doesn't really give a shit.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
God, some people will do anything to discount the validity of negative reviews.

We've been hearing for months that the controls are not great, but when a reviewer brings it up an individual excuses it by calling it a "nervous" game.

Same type of stuff happens with any big game. It's just so annoying.

Tiktaalik

I'm cancelling my pre-order for this.. I'd still love to try it out, but I've never been a fan of games that shoehorn in an difficult control scheme to make a gameplay system work. I know myself as a gamer well enough to know that I'll probably be unsatisfied with this.

cloudyy

Preordered. Played the game at Gamescom last year and it was glorious. Last couple of trailers just confirmed it.
I can understand the complains about the controls, long game session could be tiresome. This happens in most games that use stylus+only one hand to hold the ds/3ds (last example is Dillion's Rolling Western) but that is why they included a stand. I'm more concerned about the durability of the L button than anything else.

Tom_Cody

I'm not seeing it. Star Fox Command did not use the touch screen all that much, unless that was an optional control scheme.
?

All aiming/maneuvering is done with the touch screen in Stor Fox Command. There is no other control option. The touchscreen was used in order to allow analog control on the DS.

The implementation of the flight stick in KIU is a slightly different since it only controls aiming where as the touchscreen in SFC served as a substitute for a flight stick in order to allow for 3D flight.

Edit: Just saw your edit. The L button is similarly used for attacking though, so I feel like I can relate to those suffering from Icarus Claw. I honestly don't remember is it was possible to assign a different button to attack, but L is the only sensible button to use given the touchscreen aiming/maneuvering.

I'm just trying to point out that I experienced Icarus Claw for 30+ hours while 100%ing SFC and, while not ergonomically ideal, that issue did not finder my enjoyment of that title.

Kard8p3

Seems to me that if you've played through some shooters on the DS you'll probably have an easier time with this game. With the exception of a few things it seems to be basically the same thing.

hatchx

Banned
May I make two points:

1. Has anyone tried the Sin and Punishment style controls? Face buttons to move and analog to aim? Seems like a comfortable solution to stylus control.

2. For those complaining about stylus aiming, am I the only one that does the old pinky support wrap-around?

zroid

Banned
I'm cancelling my pre-order for this.. I'd still love to try it out, but I've never been a fan of games that shoehorn in an difficult control scheme to make a gameplay system work. I know myself as a gamer well enough to know that I'll probably be unsatisfied with this.

Better idea:

Keep the pre-order, give me the 3D Classics code, and return the game after :p

Or, like, I guess... keep the code. You monster.

NeoRausch

May I make two points:

1. Has anyone tried the Sin and Punishment style controls? Face buttons to move and analog to aim? Seems like a comfortable solution to stylus control.

let me tell you(not about this game,but i guess it's the same with every game):

Button movment, no matter what you move, is shit.

It's a shame that Europe is missing out on the 3D Classics pre-order bonus.

I was a fool and missed the earlier promotion. :( I'd cough up the money if I wasn't so blindsided by iOS prices.

Spruchy

Why are so many people keen to defend a game they have never played? Absurd statements like reviewers only had a week to play it...if you're unable to get used to a game's controls after a full playthrough then something's wrong regardless of how long you had possession of the game.

Anteo

Hah, there are so many plot twists. But I guess the Nintendo ninjas will get me if I tell any more of them.

They alredy got to you didn't they?
WHERE IS THE REAL FOXHIMSELF?? He'd never stop spoiling us.... =/

Edit :

I've gotten enough angry emails for one day, you'll just have to wait and see :lol
So there was a Embargo but you didn't know? I reacll you saying they didn't tell you about the Embargo.

zroid

Banned
And yet it doesn't bother PC players to use WASD-keys for movement.

It bothers me a lot :(

I think keyboard is the worst game input device ever. I only forgive it in stuff like RTS games because no one's found an adequate replacement as yet.

Reknoc

?

All aiming/maneuvering is done with the touch screen in Stor Fox Command. There is no other control option. The touchscreen was used in order to allow analog control on the DS.

The implementation of the flight stick in KIU is a slightly different since it only controls aiming where as the touchscreen in SFC served as a substitute for a flight stick in order to allow for 3D flight.

Edit: Just saw your edit. The L button is similarly used for attacking though, so I feel like I can relate to those suffering from Icarus Claw. I honestly don't remember is it was possible to assign a different button to attack, but L is the only sensible button to use given the touchscreen aiming/maneuvering.

I'm just trying to point out that I experienced Icarus Claw for 30+ hours while 100%ing SFC and, while not ergonomically ideal, that issue did not finder my enjoyment of that title.

I dunno, it's certainly different. Star Fox uses every button to shoot so you can put your left hand pretty much anywhere you feel comfortable using it.

Then of course, there's the difference in system designs. Not entirely fair because I gave Star Fox a brief play on my DSi to remind me of its controls, and the DSi is light as a feather. But the 3DS can be pretty hefty and you pretty much have to hold it with one hand that is likely to be your off-hand. I mean, people complain about discomfort when using the analog pad even when holding the system with two hands. Plus the shoulder buttons are crap.

maeda

This whole "controls suck" debacle reminds me of the same situation with the controls in RE 4. How many people have shat on that game's controls? Yet the game was sublimely designed around the limitations of that control system and never hampered a gamer who was willing to invest time. We have experienced similar control systems on the original DS, and there was nothing bad, unresponsive or unintuitive about them. In fact they were highly precise and sensitive more so than any dual analog system can be.

mu-chan

Neo Member
As someone who's played a lot of the game now--in both single and multiplayer--I think it deserves to be said: I LOVE THE CONTROLS!!!

There's a huge learning curve. Part of it is retraining your brain to accept something new. But I play with the stand now and don't even think about the controls--it's just natural.

And let me tell you. I'm playing the game above intensity 7.0 now, and dual analog would NOT work. You just wouldn't be able to move the camera fast enough AND be able to stop the reticle on enemies.

Sakurai = genius.

Top Bottom