• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Does anyone know if the Circle Pad Pro mode at least let you use the ZL button instead of the regular L button for right handers? It won't make or break my purchase, but it would be a nice gesture.

Couldn't find a way to set R (shooting) to ZR, so I doubt it, unless I completely missed something :(

zroid

Banned
He even uses the existence of the stand to support his issues with the controls. "The stand exists, so this is clearly not a personal preference issue, the controls are broken."

That is a bit of a curious thing. I've known several people to make this statement, that inclusion of a stand, rather than being a crutch, is actually "proof" that the game is broken; like this is Sakurai's way of saying "too bad, use this thing if you want".

There's a certain degree of cynicism in that which I can't help but find alarming.

Thoraxes

I like how opinions are now facts in here.

Also, Jim Sterling is definitely not someone you read for in-depth detail and analysis on a game. His reviews are horrible, and don't explain with any detail why he doesn't like things, instead passing off generic responses.

The Eurogamer and EDGE reviews are well-written, and Rich's review was pretty good too and explained a lot, with the hows and whys.

Firemind

Reading the Eurogamer review, it seems to me that the complexity of the controls are getting in the way of people's enjoyment and not that it's inherently broken. Maybe people had the impression that it's supposed to be a casual portable shooter instead of a shooter that's difficult to master with a surprising amount of depth to it. And when they found out it's the latter, they had trouble adapting to it.

People often accuse Nintendo for being too family-oriented, but now that they have a game demanding players to master its controls, they scorch them again for not being accessible enough. You just can't please some people.

backlot

That is a bit of a curious thing. I've known several people to make this statement, that inclusion of a stand, rather than being a crutch, is actually "proof" that the game is broken; like this is Sakurai's way of saying "too bad, use this thing if you want".

There's a certain degree of cynicism in that which I can't help but find alarming.

It seems like the same reaction a lot of people had to the circle pad pro. Like its very existence was Nintendo admitting they fucked up. Personally, I appreciate that they're giving people options even if I don't want to us them.

Cmagus

hmm I need a 3DS I think it may be time.Wish they had a Kid Icarus bundle :(. Game sounds really good and the scores are impressive.

zroid

Banned
that's how you do a review!

is it fun []yes [x]no
does it look like shit [x]yes []no
any major problems/bug [x]yes []no
is it awesome [xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]yes []no
buy it?!? [x]yes []no

:p

Jim Sterling['s] ... reviews are horrible, and don't explain with any detail why he doesn't like things, instead passing off generic responses.

Yeah this is something I definitely agree with. He tends to gloss over details too much, for the sake of brevity. I'm all for terse writing, but at times it can be hard to understand why he does or doesn't like specific aspects of a game.

Thoraxes

Reading the Eurogamer review, it seems to me that the complexity of the controls are getting in the way of people's enjoyment and not that it's inherently broken. Maybe people had the impression that it's supposed to be a casual portable shooter instead of a shooter that's difficult to master with a surprising amount of depth to it. And when they found out it's the latter, they had trouble adapting to it.

People often accuse Nintendo for being too family-oriented, but now that they have a game demanding players to master its controls, they scorch them again for not being accessible enough. You just can't please some people.

Yeah. This reminds me of how things worked with SotC.

100% agree. The problem is not the control scheme. People's problem with the controls are the complexity. In the ground section, you have to move, dodge, aim. It's a fast game. It's a nervous game.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This is one of these games I know I will LOVE.

I hope some outlet will break the street date, I want to have it already.

Reknoc

Hm, didn't realise this game was gonna have a bunch of stuff to collect. May have to pick this up when it releases! Though, not entirely sold on touch screen aiming. Metroid Prime Hunters was physically painful to play after a while.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Jim Sterling's review is a classic example of throwing a franchise under the bus and wondering why COD does so well sales wise compared to other games.

Does Jim realize that he does actually influence individuals to buy or not?

He must not, because he talking at the beginning how he is so happy that Kid Icarus is back and it was a franchise left behind then throws it under the bus for awkward controls. Nothing like throwing cult franchises under the bus to influence people to only buy the halo,gears, and CODs every year.

Funny thing is though, I do not think he checked for alternative controls(because he edited his review after a comment mentioned it). If he actually did, he makes it seem like he tried them for 5 minutes and then dismissed them. If the 3DS honestly does not fit in your hands, have someone else review the game. Just come out and say that his fingers are too big to use a 3DS and someone else will be reviewing 3DS games for now on.

It is funny that he calls Mario Kart 7 a rehash and gives it a 5/10 then they give MW3 a 9.5/10

Firemind

100% agree. The problem is not the control scheme. People's problem with the controls are the complexity. In the ground section, you have to move, dodge, aim. It's a fast game. It's a nervous game.

I think a good analogy would be playing FIFA for the first time. You're not yet familiar with all the buttons and you don't know exactly how to aim and hold your shots, so you lose most of the time which obviously isn't fun. The more you practice, the better you get and the more fun you'll have, which I assume applies to Kid Icarus as well. Some will find this more tolerable than others. The difference between FIFA and KI is that if you're a footie fan you're more likely to swallow the complex controls for the first time, while KI doesn't have that huge fanbase.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Game got a 9 from Eurogamer, but please, let's keep talking about Jim Sterling.

...So...it's better than Uncharted 3! MUAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAH!!!

XD

EDIT: Of course there's so much talk about Jim: to use an expression I've heard somewhere, it's no news the dog biting the man, but the man biting the dog is, indeed.

I think a good analogy would be playing FIFA for the first time. You're not yet familiar with all the buttons and you don't know exactly how to aim and hold your shots, so you lose most of the time which obviously isn't fun. The more you practice, the better you get and the more fun you'll have, which I assume applies to Kid Icarus as well. Some will find this more tolerable than others. The difference between FIFA and KI is that if you're a footie fan you're more likely to swallow the complex controls for the first time, while KI doesn't have that huge fanbase.

No, that's a terrible analogy.

There is very little complaining due to the complexity of the controls (if I remember correctly it was EGM who mentioned so) - the complaints are aimed at the discomfort due to the required holding angle. Absolutely nothing like learning new button commands in FIFA.

So... how are the controls different from say, Metroid Prime Hunters or those ds Call of Duties?

If you can handle those fine, will ya be able to play this without a problem?

kanugo

I've made a huge mistake.

Just watched the trailer that's on the eshop and.. it was glorious. Friday can't come soon enough.

I was watching it and thinking " maybe it's better for me to pause it and wait for the release of the game", but noooo, I had to watch it to the end. From that trailer, the 3D seems really well done.

There is very little complaining due to the complexity of the controls (if I remember correctly it was EGM who mentioned so) - the complaints are aimed at the discomfort due to the required holding angle. Absolutely nothing like learning new button commands in FIFA.

No problem holding my 3DS. Didn't had any problems for holding my NDS.

Firemind

I'm curious. Is that the only reason that causes such a level of discomfort? I don't remember hearing such an outcry in the direction of The World Ends With You, a game where you had to use the L button and dpad in addition to the touch controls as well. I'd love to hear the opinion of people who played both The World Ends With You and Kid Icarus.

Kusagari

In fact, I'm sure this guy know that what he's saying is crazyness. But hey... it gives him lots of clicks, and people talks about him. And I do.

He said nothing that hasn't been said in other reviews and praised the flight sections quite a bit.

The only difference in his review is the score.

Boohoo.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
No problem holding my 3DS. Didn't had any problems for holding my NDS.

But you aren't everybody. Jim Sterling and the overwhelmingly majority of reviewers who have reviewed the game so far might not just be lying scumbags, they could you know, be presenting legitimate issues that present itself throughout the game.

The game wouldn't have a stand if they were confident about everybody feeling the same way you do.

I'm curious. Is that the only reason that causes such a level of discomfort? I don't remember hearing such an outcry in the direction of The World Ends With You, a game where you had to use the L button and dpad in addition to the touch controls as well.

The way you hold the 3DS for Kid Icarus is nothing like how you would hold it for TWEWY.

Let me just clarify - I have not played the game. I fully intend to, and I fully intend to enjoy it. I'm merely having fun with Ghost Trick who is utterly unable to accept that people have issues with the controls.

I got the game preordered today, but I didn't order a Circle Pad Pro until now (from amazon.co.uk) so I look forward to play this as a leftie without the CPP. I am sure it works as I can tolerate a lot.

PK Gaming

Sheesh, so much salt in this damn thread.

I'd expect this on other forums, but Neogaf? Really? Do people really need to have their beliefs and attitudes validated by others? Just wait until you get the game instead of throwing a damn fit.

SMH

backlot

Are the complaints really just about the angle you have to hold the system in? Most reviews are saying the controls for flying are fine while the ground controls are problematic. Both flying and ground controls use the same inputs, right? Do you really hold the system any differently between the two modes?

just preordered a copy with the 24 cards bonus pack

yes_5656.gif

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I got my account activated ages ago, but I only started posting recently.
Your impression that GAF is somehow less volatile yet more respectful of review scores for massively anticipated games when compared to /v/ or GameFAQs is very wrong. The only real difference is that this place is actually moderated.

Could you explain this to me? If you use the L, dpad and touch screen in both games, then isn't it sort of comparable how you hold it?

Sure, if you're constantly accessing the subpins on TWEWY, then it'd be comparable. But you're not.

With Kid Icarus the majority of the time your hand will assume a 'claw' position, with very little variation. Leading to some of the cramps and whatnot some reviewers experienced.

Are the complaints really just about the angle you have to hold the system in? Most reviews are saying the controls for flying are fine while the ground controls are problematic. Both flying and ground controls use the same inputs, right? Do you really hold the system any differently between the two modes?

That's true, however on the ground sections you are forced to deal with movement, which involves 'activating' another section of your left hand. As opposed to that section being idle during the flying sections.

Top Bottom