• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

And yet it doesn't bother PC players to use WASD-keys for movement.
That's different though since you use 3 fingers to operate making key presses easy and fast. Buttons are usually not designed to act as a dpad. Just compare the 3DS' dpad with its buttons, the buttons are more spaced out compared to the very compact dpad and the lack of the pad makes it a bit odd to operate. It has nothing to do with the input being digital.

At least that's why I don't like buttons for movement while also having no problems using RTZG-keys (yeah I'm strange like that :p).

Socreges

Banned
IGN:
There's just one problem - the game is designed to be played with a stylus. The gameplay requires that type of precision and swift adjustment. Though this isn't quite as evident in some of the air-based sequences, the ground-based material makes it a necessity. Dodging between enemies, rotating the camera and aiming are skills that must be executed constantly and simultaneously. And on harder difficulties, the game is merciless. Uprising effectively has a game design that is genius - and it fundamentally has found a control scheme that works. But it's not comfortable to actually play. Spending time thinking about where to grip or how to position a portable so a game can be played comfortably is absurd. And the game's included stand doesn't help much, as players then need to not only have a flat surface available, but one that sits at a reasonable height.
And IGN are often one of the most forgiving sites.

I'm definitely reluctant. Wish I could try the game out for myself beforehand.

Destructoid's Sterling review of Kid Icarus, is as expected, hilarious.
What's wrong with it?

Anteo

No embargo, no NDAs. They just didn't like me spoiling the game for you guys. It's all good.

Well you got some of us really hyped. So it was for the better =P
Will you be able to spoil anything else after a while?

I'm asking because I won't be able to get the game until a few weeks later here in Peru. So I'd like to know a little more to ease the pain of waiting.

Dr.Hadji

Why are so many people keen to defend a game they have never played? Absurd statements like reviewers only had a week to play it...if you're unable to get used to a game's controls after a full playthrough then something's wrong regardless of how long you had possession of the game.

Funny, it took me much longer than a playthrough and longer than a week to get used to a six button fighter like street fighter when I first got my hands on it. Doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the control scheme. Doesn't mean its right either.

jesusraz

For those wondering about control setups, here's the one that worked for me:

Circle Pad - moving the reticule
Face Buttons - moving Pit / dash-strafing
Up/Down D-Pad - scroll through special items
Left D-Pad - change to first-person view
Right D-Pad - use special item
L shoulder - realign the camera
R shoulder - shoot

Felt most comfortable for me in the end, mainly for the ground sections. The controls for the ground-based sections were my only real gripe, but they're not 'broken' like in early preview builds, which is why I didn't knock the game heavily. It got a 9/10 from me purely because the rest of Uprising is so damn fantastic, mixing Sin and Punishment with Zombie Panic in Wonderland / Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ (in my opinion).

EDIT: I should also mention that there is the option to turn off guide arrows on the ground, switch off homing shots, turn on an aim assist that guides the reticule automatically towards enemies in the Land Battle sections, and even an auto-fire function that fires whenever the reticule moves over an enemy.

Well, feel free to accidentally PM me some tidbits.
Nintendo is indeed being very strict with the embargo for this one, and rightly so!

R shoulder - shoot

Felt most comfortable for me in the end, mainly for the ground sections. The controls for the ground-based sections were my only real gripe, but they're not 'broken' like in early preview builds, which is why I didn't knock the game heavily. It got a 9/10 from me purely because the rest of Uprising is so damn fantastic, mixing Sin and Punishment with Zombie Panic in Wonderland / Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ (in my opinion).

Nintendo is indeed being very strict with the embargo for this one, and rightly so!

Wait... you can move Pit with the Face Buttons and aim with the stick ?

hatchx

Banned

R shoulder - shoot

That sounds like a perfectly acceptable control scheme.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
As long as a game is rewarding, I'm fine with a long control learning curve. I saw SF2 and Fifa comparisons, but PES on wii is the best example of a weird setup that reveals its genius as you progress.

Neiteio

Yeah, well, they can't fault you if you accidentally slip and type out the game's entire plot and PM it to me. I mean, c'mon, it'd just be an accident. Whoops!

Also, are you from Cubed3? (I think that's the name of the site.) It was my first visit there and I liked the review. Interesting site, too.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

R shoulder - shoot
Can you adjust the sensitivity of the reticule for faster crosshair movement?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Is that really a surprise? I know some even read neogaf from the Japan offices (at least they did a few years ago).

Oh, really?

*prepares himself*

HELLO, SUCKERS. NINTENDO V.S. CAPCOM, PLEASE. DO IT.

Oh, I hope the message arrives.

Tom_Cody

I dunno, it's certainly different. Star Fox uses every button to shoot so you can put your left hand pretty much anywhere you feel comfortable using it.

Then of course, there's the difference in system designs. Not entirely fair because I gave Star Fox a brief play on my DSi to remind me of its controls, and the DSi is light as a feather. But the 3DS can be pretty hefty and you pretty much have to hold it with one hand that is likely to be your off-hand. I mean, people complain about discomfort when using the analog pad even when holding the system with two hands. Plus the shoulder buttons are crap.
Eh, I guess? I just going to stop commenting on a game I haven't played yet.

jesusraz

Also, are you from Cubed3? (I think that's the name of the site.) It was my first visit there and I liked the review. Interesting site, too.
I am indeed - Adam Riley, Operations Director at your service *bows*

Haha ;)

Thanks, glad you liked the review. Didn't want to get too bogged down in details, but still give a good feel of what to expect.

Can you adjust the sensitivity of the reticule for faster crosshair movement?
Yes, you can independently change the speed at which the reticule can be moved horizontally and vertically, as well as change how quickly or slowly the reticule stops moving after it's been flicked across the screen. This can be done for the Land Battle mode alone, the Air Battle alone, or both. So you can indeed tweak both modes separately! Customisation for the win, right? :D

As I said before, I didn't slate the game too much for the controls purely because there is room for adjusting things...it's just sad that many people that buy this won't bother and merely complain about the default setup being awkward.

R shoulder - shoot
This sounds perfectly normal. What exactly are we worried about again?

The reviewers were whining about Snake Eater 3D's controls too and I've been playing that without the CPP and having a better time than I did with the HD collection too.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I am indeed - Adam Riley, Operations Director at your service *bows*

Haha ;)

Thanks, glad you liked the review. Didn't want to get too bogged down in details, but still give a good feel of what to expect.

Yes, you can independently change the speed at which the reticule can be moved horizontally and vertically, as well as change how quickly or slowly the reticule stops moving after it's been flicked across the screen. This can be done for the Land Battle mode alone, the Air Battle alone, or both. So you can indeed tweak both modes separately! Customisation for the win, right? :D

As I said before, I didn't slate the game too much for the controls purely because there is room for adjusting things...it's just sad that many people that buy this won't bother and merely complain about the default setup being awkward.

Welp, all my worries about the controls are dispelled. Now let's see level design.

Can these two be reversed? I played Prime Hunters with the look mapped to the face buttons and the strafing/movement on the d-pad, and I'd totally be fine with that.

If not, no biggy, but it'd be my preference.

Neiteio

Sweet Golden Fleece Diaper-Clad Baby Jesus said:

R shoulder - shoot
How does that control combination hold up in the higher intensity levels, where some claim you couldn't hope to keep up without using the stylus?

Keropon

Copy preordered at Zmart.cl. Should pick it up Friday after work.
*brofist*
It's a sad thing that we get no bonus... Although I'm trying to get a US pre-order copy with the code for KI 3D Classics <3

Hah, there are so many plot twists. But I guess the Nintendo ninjas will get me if I tell any more of them.
I hate you so much for being able to play this while I'll have to wait until next week or so ;_;

PK Gaming

R shoulder - shoot

EDIT: I should also mention that there is the option to turn off guide arrows on the ground, switch off homing shots, turn on an aim assist that guides the reticule automatically towards enemies in the Land Battle sections, and even an auto-fire function that fires whenever the reticule moves over an enemy.

Definitely going to try that control scheme. I'm a little annoyed that we couldn't control the reticule with the circle pad pro... the technologies there, we KNOW they can do it (see lefties) but i'm not sure why they abstained from doing that. Oh well.

massoluk

Banned
Hmm. Is there such thing as customization profiles? So I can switch between 2 setup on the fly.

Like if I'm in the subway, I'd want to use facebuttons + analog pad with one sensitivity, but if I'm at Starbuck, I'd want to use analog pad + stylus with another sensitivity.

i played for 3h straight and my arm/wrist is fine, control are very well done. must be SS all over again. either you get it or you don't.

Balb

Pre-ordered the game in full. Even checked the latest issue of Game Informer and it didn't have the exclusive cards. Do you have to be a subscriber to get them or something?

mu-chan

Neo Member
I would really encourage everyone to give the default controls a fair shake. They may seem awkward at first, but it'll be worth your time in the end. It's so ironic that the controls are getting the most crap in reviews when, to me, they're amazingly revolutionary and intuitive.

(I do recommend the stand, by the way...)

StAidan

Dang. I love me some Nintendo games, but I've been completely uninterested in this game all through the original announcement, promotional videos and features, up through most of last week.

And now the hype train is all "choo choo," and I'm totally jumping on board. I won't bother to preorder, but these soundtrack previews, gameplay impressions, and FoxHimself's videos have made this day one for me. I'll pick it up Friday on my lunch break.

zroid

Banned
I would really encourage everyone to give the default controls a fair shake. They may seem awkward at first, but it'll be worth your time in the end.

It's funny how reviewers tend to exist in this bubble because they don't pay for their games, so they don't necessarily feel obligated to put genuine effort into learning a control scheme or mechanic. After dropping 40 bucks on a game, damn right I will put every ounce of work I can into getting the most out of my purchase. If I have to struggle for a few hours to get a much larger payoff, it's obviously worthwhile.

Keropon

And now the hype train is all "choo choo," and I'm totally jumping on board. I won't bother to preorder, but these soundtrack previews, gameplay impressions, and FoxHimself's videos have made this day one for me. I'll pick it up Friday on my lunch break.

Welcome aboard.
Also, just preorder it, it can't be so hard... and you'll secure your copy.

KevinCow

Banned
Thats what I was thinking, dont you still have to use the circle pad regardless of mode? Did people get hand cramps when playing Metroid Prime Hunters?

People got hella hand cramps with Hunters. It was the biggest complaint about the game back in the day. I like the game and its control scheme, and I still think it was a reasonable complaint.

jesusraz

HELLO, SUCKERS. NINTENDO V.S. CAPCOM, PLEASE. DO IT.
Don't start that again. Do you know how much grief I got for asking Ono-san that question in Amsterdam? Even though I didn't ask THAT specifically, his response and my subsequent news post on it caused all SORTS of problems :/

How does that control combination hold up in the higher intensity levels, where some claim you couldn't hope to keep up without using the stylus?
Just like any game, once you grow fully accustomed to a particular set of controls, you can become adept at any game. It's the old PES classic controls vs. Wii point controls argument again. To answer your question, I had no problems...but that's not to say I didn't get my ar$e handed to me in multiplayer mode :/

Definitely going to try that control scheme. I'm a little annoyed that we couldn't control the reticule with the circle pad pro... the technologies there, we KNOW they can do it (see lefties) but i'm not sure why they abstained from doing that. Oh well.
I'm pretty sure it was to do with the development cycle more than leaving it out on purpose. Something about not being able to do the necessary changes at the last minute...I'm sure someone will correct me, though, if I'm wide of the mark here.

Can these two be reversed? I played Prime Hunters with the look mapped to the face buttons and the strafing/movement on the d-pad, and I'd totally be fine with that. If not, no biggy, but it'd be my preference.

This is what you get in terms of control options:

Control Configuration
Step 1 - Choose how to move Pit (Circle Pad or ABXY)
Step 2 - Choose how to move the reticule (Touch Screen, D-Pad, Circle Pad)
Step 3 - The following six options can be switched around (L, R, four D-Pad directions): Align Camera, Attack, Select Powers (scrolling left), Select Powers (scrolling right), Change View, Use Power

Reticule / Camera
As mentioned in my previous post...but you can also invert the reticule movement either horiz or vert, or both at the same time, and the same goes for Pit's movements (on-screen arrows on the touch-screen show the changes to avoid any confusion)

More Controls
Mentioned in my previous post (i.e. the autofire, guide arrow, etc)

Dr.Hadji

It's funny how reviewers tend to exist in this bubble because they don't pay for their games, so they don't necessarily feel obligated to put genuine effort into learning a control scheme or mechanic. After dropping 40 bucks on a game, damn right I will put every ounce of work I can into getting the most out of my purchase. If I have to struggle for a few hours to get a much larger payoff, it's obviously worthwhile.

We live in a trade in credit, Gamefly world baby. You don't need to try if you don't want to ever again.

Reknoc

R shoulder - shoot

Seems good, though it could be a bit confusing at first, having to move with my right hand.

Top Bottom