• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Neiteio

So, it's no spoiler since it's been a card listed on the official site for weeks now, but is Poseidon a nice guy in this game? I hope he's not mad after I gouged out his eyes and slammed his head repeatedly against a rock in God of War 3. :-\

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm puzzled by the control complaints...

Am I right in thinking that the controls are "comparable" to those of Dillon's Rolling Western -- L button, control stick, and touch screen for aiming?

I ask as I have no problem using those three on Dillon, and I'm struggling to understand why Icarus would be that much harder.

(Also, while I'm skeptical, does anyone know if 3DS units with a Nyko extended battery pack fit on the stand?)

Pleasantly surprised at all the positive reviews and feedback. I didn't care much for the game during previews, but reading the reviews and impressions now I think I'd love it. Too bad I'm trying to cut back on spending now and I don't have the time to play it either... some day.

Synless

So, it's no spoiler since it's been a card listed on the official site for weeks now, but is Poseidon a nice guy in this game? I hope he's not mad after I gouged out his eyes and slammed his head repeatedly against a rock in God of War 3. :-

This is a prequel to all that so I think Poseidon is in better spirits. My source is that
Kratos kills Icarus in the second game
, so this must be a prequel!

zroid

Banned
Is it stable or wobbly in that setup?

From the linked article:
Technically, the Circle Pad Pro fits on the stand, but it doesn't feel too secure. I wouldn't necessarily leave the system on there when I'm not playing it. However, if you are the sort of person who wants to use the stand, then it should work.

Kard8p3

The only other review I want to see at this point is the GT review. I'm guessing it won't be up till friday though due to the video restrictions.

Tunic

I was already considering purchasing Kid Icarus and actually did the Club Nintendo preorder survey. Now I will definitely purchase it day one after reading the Eurogamer review. I need to get the Circle Pad Pro though.

nron10

Neo Member
I'd like to read GN's, Nintendojo's, and NWR's.

As the Director of NWR and the person working on the review, that's flattering. :D

We didn't get our copy in until Friday, so our review is in the works, we just couldn't hit the Monday morning embargo.

I'll give a tease, though. I very much disagree with Jim Sterling's conclusion.

jesusraz

Pleasantly surprised at all the positive reviews and feedback. I didn't care much for the game during previews, but reading the reviews and impressions now I think I'd love it. Too bad I'm trying to cut back on spending now and I don't have the time to play it either... some day.
Same here. I went in thinking '7/10' at best...so imagine my surprise when my mind was totally blown! ;)

loborzelda

Neo Member
Since it's possible to use ABXY to move/strafe and circle pad (on 3DS) to aim. Is it possible to instead use CPP circle pad to move/strafe and use circle pad (on 3DS) to aim?

Hylian7

I thought I was going to have to send my 3DS off to get the top screen scratches fixed this week, but I called and found out my warranty is not up til June! So I will be playing THE FUCK out of this game this weekend.

For those wondering about control setups, here's the one that worked for me:

Circle Pad - moving the reticule
Face Buttons - moving Pit / dash-strafing
Up/Down D-Pad - scroll through special items
Left D-Pad - change to first-person view
Right D-Pad - use special item
L shoulder - realign the camera
R shoulder - shoot

Now if they have this for the buttons, would it be so hard to add the extra analog support?

This is what you get in terms of control options:

Control Configuration
Step 1 - Choose how to move Pit (Circle Pad or ABXY)
Step 2 - Choose how to move the reticule (Touch Screen, D-Pad, Circle Pad)
Step 3 - The following six options can be switched around (L, R, four D-Pad directions): Align Camera, Attack, Select Powers (scrolling left), Select Powers (scrolling right), Change View, Use Power

Unfortunate that you can't move the reticule with ABXY, but I'll deal with it.

Thanks for the super in depth info though! You are awesome.

maximum-brofist.jpg

Thoraxes

While I enjoy your attempt at being humorous, I made no such claims. Some reviewers experienced discomfort, cramps and pain. Various reviews have described the position that the 3DS is held and what controls are used in each section.

Relatively simple to decipher.

They must have baby hands compared to me. I never have any problems.

jesusraz

Since it's possible to use ABXY to move/strafe and circle pad (on 3DS) to aim. Is it possible to instead use CPP circle pad to move/strafe and use circle pad (on 3DS) to aim?
You'll have to ask someone with a CPP about this...despite asking, sadly Nintendo hasn't sent me one yet. Had to do without for MGS, Ace Combat and RE:R as well :(

guit3457

Just a little update of spanish websites notes:

Meristation: 8.8
Vandal.net: 8.8 too
3D Juegos: 9.2 (in my opinion the best gaming reviews in spanish)

zroid

Banned
As the Director of NWR and the person working on the review, that's flattering. :D

We didn't get our copy in until Friday, so our review is in the works, we just couldn't hit the Monday morning embargo.

I'll give a tease, though. I very much disagree with Jim Sterling's conclusion.

Haha, definitely looking forward to it. After last week's Connectivity, it sounded as though you might end up liking the game. :D

NeoRausch

Supposedly by the time the team found out about the CPP it was too late to add support for it. Would be cool if a launch day patch came out that enabled support for it.
Patch? You mean "patch" like in "no from nintendo"-patch? I guess not.
would be nice though.

Rhod

All aiming/maneuvering is done with the touch screen in Stor Fox Command. There is no other control option. The touchscreen was used in order to allow analog control on the DS.

I'm just trying to point out that I experienced Icarus Claw for 30+ hours while 100%ing SFC and, while not ergonomically ideal, that issue did not finder my enjoyment of that title.

I coded the controls for StarFox Command! Nice to read that you enjoyed it. *thumbs up*.

I have to import my copy of KI so I won't have it for a while yet :( *shakes fist at region lock*

From personal experience during one of the Gamestop events, the only thing I needed to get used to was moving the camera around. Aiming and other controls aren't much of a problem that some low-scoring reviews are claiming.

3DS games support patching, correct? or at least DLC with Fire Emblem. Is there a chance the game could be patched to support the circle pad pro correctly?

Busaiku

I still don't understand why people are getting cramps from holding the L and Analog Slider.
They're pretty close together on the top, so it's not much strain.

I've had a lot of experience playing DS games while holding it like that, so maybe that's why I think I'll be good.

NeoRausch

I still don't understand why people are getting cramps from holding the L and Analog Slider.
They're pretty close together on the top, so it's not much strain.

I've had a lot of experience playing DS games while holding it like that, so maybe that's why I think I'll be good.
People like to moan?

matmanx1

I preordered today. I had a Gamestop gift card left over from my birthday and after watching the trailer on the eshop I am intrigued. I didn't have a problem with the controls in Metroid Prime: Hunters so I don't think I will have one here.

Hiltz

Ouch. Destructoid gave it a 5.0 score. Maybe the ground controls truly are broken. It's surprising coming from Sakurai - a man known for making games with accessible gameplay and intuitive controls.

jesusraz

I coded the controls for StarFox Command! Nice to read that you enjoyed it. *thumbs up*.
The brilliant controls in Command made me desperately want a Wii version in a similar vein!! :(

What a weird review the Eurogamer one is: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-19-kid-icarus-uprising-review

No mention of one of the game's highlights (the dialogue), says twin stick playing is in, only touches the story up to
Medusa, which is like four hours in
, saying hearts give you life (they don't, food does that). Weird.
That smacks of someone not playing the game properly. I'm intrigued to find out if offering up hearts to the Goddess does indeed unlock something, despite it specifically saying it only brings her closer. Special playable character, perhaps?! O_O

Part of me wished Pit would do what Raymond Bryce in Disaster does, grabbing the food and munching on it in front of the camera, haha ^^

Not mentioning the dialogue is sacrilege. This has me in stitches to the point where it made me die once or twice. REALLY didn't expect that! Palutena's goading of Pit is funny...I love it when she makes him squirm. There's this one bit early on that just seems so innuendo-laden!

Same voice actress that did Lightning in FFXIII, I believe. She does a great job here.

Though I had problems with Metroid:Hunters, I'm hopeful that between the included stand and the button customization, I'll find my comfort with this game because I'm super hyped for everything else about it.

Top Bottom