• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

jesusraz

She's Liara in Mass Effect as well, right? Her Liara voice was coming through really clearly in the Medusa anime.
http://www.alihillis.com/resume.html

Naruto: Shippûden:Ultimate Ninja Storm - Karin
Star Wars: The Old Republic - ???
Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy - Lightning
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty - Dr. Ariel Hanson
DEAD OR ALIVE PARADISE - Rio
MASS EFFECT II - Liara T'soni
FINAL FANTASY XIII - Lightning
MASS EFFECT - Liara T'Soni
Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra - Mary & Shelly Godwin
Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Böse - Mary & Shelly Godwin

KevinCow

Banned
I'm honestly surprised that while many reviewers seem to have issues with the comfort of the control scheme, very few seem to be declaring it outright bad or broken. I was expecting a repeat of the Wii shooter thing, where most of the gaming media seemed to complain about how horrible pointer aiming was and how they just wanted dual analog controls, whereas many people who tried pointer aiming with an open mind and actually put a little bit of time into understanding it found it to be pretty great.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Ouch. Destructoid gave it a 5.0 score. Maybe the ground controls truly are broken. It's surprising coming from Sakurai - a man known for making games with accessible gameplay and intuitive controls.

Take a look at the other reviews. I know you are kidding, but still. If not, then lol at you.
----
Btw, GamesTM gave this game a 9/10. Looks like Euroland loves their Kid Icarus.

Firemind

awwyeahl.jpg

Lausebub

Banned
RMC posted a spoiler-free review. It doesn't have a rating, he stopped doing that because...well, every score system sucks, even the ones with stars. I always like to read his reviews and opinions about Nintendo titles.

I'm torn: I can get this one day early on Thursday.

Or, wait until Friday, and pick it up at Nintendo World to get the exclusive card.

For anyone with the game, what do you recommend? Are the AR cards worth collecting/using?

zroid

Banned
RMC posted a spoiler-free review. It doesn't have a rating, he stopped doing that because...well, every score system sucks, even the ones with stars. I always like to read his reviews and opinions about Nintendo titles.

Yep. As usual, I enjoy his reviews -- super in-depth. Yes, you can tell he's not a professional critic, but his passion and dedication come through, and for me at least, those are what count most.

Lausebub

Banned
Oh wow, there is some stuff he says about the game that sound really incredible. Is it allowed to quote original content from a banned site? The site got banned for posting wrong information, so a review go go through? I don't want to get into any problems, as I'm still a junior. :p

eternalb

Id agree for the most part...though I dont know why there isn't a dual analog mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEnLNpF9l3w

GameExplain has a pretty good video review up. Guy also has a problem with the controls but likes the game.

I think the controls are something I'll have to get used to. I'll probably initially find them difficult (based on reviews I've read) but I think I'll be playing the game enough to where eventually they'll be just fine.

It took me awhile to get used to dual-analog control in an FPS but now it's second nature.

Busaiku

Id agree for the most part...though I dont know why there isn't a dual analog mode.

Cause it would suck!

EDIT - You know, I think the GameXplain reviewer might have a better time if he let the bottom right corner of the 3DS rest on like the corner of his right palm.
I dunno, that's what I do anyways.

Ouch. Destructoid gave it a 5.0 score. Maybe the ground controls truly are broken. It's surprising coming from Sakurai - a man known for making games with accessible gameplay and intuitive controls.
I think it's the same guy that gave AC2 a 3, Vanquish a 5 and recently Mario Kart 7 a 5. I wouldn't take his opinion seriously, just a heads up.

I'm really hyped for this; the only bad thing that could bother me so far would be the controls. But, seeing as I found the controls for Metroid Prime DS and Dream Trigger to be OK, I don't think I'll have a problem.
There seems to be a lot of content, too, which was one of my concerns(and besides that, we have the amazing online!).

I really wish this game sells well, although I don't see it permorming as good as I think it deserves.

Busaiku

Oh, I love that there're supposedly no cutscenes and it's just nonstop action.
The_End said:
OP's come a long way since I last checked. There's actually stuff in it now. :)
I refuse to check it again, out of principle.

Neiteio

I find it curious how people keep thinking that being able to play a first-person game with normal camera turning like MP Hunters will somehow be comparable to playing a third-person game like Uprising that uses "flick" turning to move the camera. It won't. People who were proficient at games like MP Hunters on DS have plenty of difficulty with Uprising's controls (see the otherwise glowing RMC review at the site where you Go for Nintendo news). The recurring theme in many of these reviews is we will have to push through some nasty controls to get to the good stuff, but there's a great deal of good stuff that makes it worthwhile. Some people will be more receptive to it than others, and there's room enough for such variety of takes on the matter.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Looking at this game, I kinda see some TWEWY in it. Not because the Fiend's Cauldron, but because the combat seems to be really hard at first, but once mastered, it will be glorious.

Busaiku

I find it curious how people keep thinking that being able to play a first-person game with normal camera turning like MP Hunters will somehow be comparable to playing a third-person game like Uprising that uses "flick" turning to move the camera. It won't. People who were proficient at games like MP Hunters on DS have plenty of difficulty with Uprising's controls (see the otherwise glowing RMC review at the site where you Go for Nintendo news). The recurring theme in many of these reviews is we will have to push through some nasty controls to get to the good stuff, but there's a great deal of good stuff that makes it worthwhile. Some people will be more receptive to it than others, and there's room enough for such variety of takes on the matter.
Having not played Metroid Prime Hunters, I can't really judge for sure, but all I keep stressing is that dual analog would not solve anything in the game, and only serve to make the game more annoying with terribly slow aiming.
Looking at this game, I kinda see some TWEWY in it. Not because the Fiend's Cauldron, but because the combat seems to be really hard at first, but once mastered, it will be glorious.
I still remember the first boss battle, I got like a D.
It was horrible.

JimboJones

Just watched the gameXplain video...you have to flick the stylus to turn the camera? That does sound kinda crappy. I was under the impression it controlled sort of like FPS games on the DS.

Neiteio

Having not played Metroid Prime Hunters, I can't really judge for sure, but all I keep stressing is that dual analog would not solve anything in the game, and only serve to make the game more annoying with terribly slow aiming.
I think that people are just confused that they offer dual analog in the form of buttons but not both circle pads. In other words, if you can move with face buttons and aim with the circle pad, why can't you use CPP to move -and- aim with the circle pad? Note that the former is available and doesn't use the stylus, yet the latter is not. And frankly, dual-analog with the CPP should be there; some people will be perfectly content to play the game at difficulty levels accomodating of that setup, and the setup itself can be sharpened by increasing the reticule's movement speed (picture playing BioShock with aiming sensitivity dialed to the max; you can aim VERY quickly). All of that being said, though, I think there are enough options so that eveyone can find something functional enough eventually. At the same time, I will be totally understanding of people who don't want to "get used" to the controls. Not everyone has time in their life for that and some people will as such be less patient than others... And that's fine. Let's be sober, people!

A buddy of mine watched the 4 minute gameplay trailer and said he thought the voice acting was surprisingly horrible and, ya know, I can see where it would annoy the living shit out of others and make the other side smile with joy.

Which brings me to: what do you guys think of the voice acting, swagger and all?

Amazing.
Fits perfectly.
Haters gonna hate.

Neiteio

Just watched the gameXplain video...you have to flick the stylus to turn the camera? That does sound kinda crappy. I was under the impression it controlled sort of like FPS games on the DS.
Yes, a lot of people are overlooking this thinking it's like MP Hunters. It's NOT. You have to flick the screen to turn the camera, and on flicking the screen, the camera spins with more or less momentum depending on how hard you flick, which means it's easy to overshoot or under-shoot the camera angle you want. And the game piles tons of enemies on you at once, making it hectic and hard to keep tabs on things. All of this while trying not to dash off ledges with the dodge (which you must do before running) and the close camera angle makes it hard to see chasms just offscreen, leading to falling deaths. These problems are recurring for reviewers and I can see how they will try people's patience. It's just best to accept it and acclimate from there.

Vidiot

I don't see what's wrong with the voice acting at all. They fit the tone of the game perfectly. It's Saturday morning cartoon type stuff. What did people expect?

Neiteio

I don't see what's wrong with the voice acting at all. They fit the tone of the game perfectly. It's Saturday morning cartoon type stuff. What did people expect?
I guess some people were expecting Lord of the Rings drama with Factor 5's scrapped Man Icarus.

I say, bring on the Tempura whatzzars.

zroid

Banned

Indeed, it's perfect. I'm sure the only people who dislike it are those with whom the type of humour this game offers does not jibe. For what it tries to accomplish, it's some of the best voice work around. Probably the best in any Nintendo game to-date.

Neiteio

By the way, the people who asked whether the music from the E3 2010 announcement trailer is in the game: It's right in the title intro. I don't know how FoxHimself missed it when we asked earlier. The whole song literally plays upon booting up the game, set to awesome footage of epic boss battles and even Pit in his gladiator armor. It's the same orchestral version of the main theme seen in the first trailer, complete with guitar solo and everything. <3

SmithnCo

I love the dialogue, perfect lighthearted stuff. Honestly not looking for a super serious tone out of a series that brought us the eggplant wizard.

Vidiot

I honestly think it's the dialog/voice acting that's going to make me fall in love with these characters. Specifically the stuff between Pit and Palutena. I predict me playing as them (Sakurai willing) in the next Smash bros a ton more often then I ever played as Pit in Brawl because of the amount of character that shines through in Uprising.

branny

I love arcade-style shooting games, so I'm glad to hear this stuff about incessant, lighthearted jabbering that's akin to those. Everything about this game seems right up my alley, from its energetic presentation to its addictive wealth of content. I just hope I won't run into control issues, especially as a lefty who once broke his wrist.

I think it's the same guy that gave AC2 a 3, Vanquish a 5 and recently Mario Kart 7 a 5. I wouldn't take his opinion seriously, just a heads up.
I know it's hard to understand, but some of us actually agree with every single one of those scores. And if Sterling feels a certain way about a game, you can at least take comfort in the fact that he's going to be truthful about it.

It's honestly much more preferable than reading a wall of text that reads like PR material with some arbitrary number attached to it based on what readers expect to see. Sometimes critics are simply not suitable for reviewing anything within entire genres (fighting games come to mind) let alone individual games, but that's totally acceptable. It's to be expected. Yes, it's frustrating when they haven't bothered to delve deeply enough into a game or when they've unfortunately misunderstood key elements. It's even worse if it isn't their cup of tea at all--it's pointless for someone who hates sports to review a sports game, especially since most readers will be ones who probably enjoy sports. Stuff like this happens, but, believe it or not, diverse viewpoints are a good thing.

If Sterling felt half the game was wonderful and the other literally inflicted pain, why is a 5 indefensible? Every other review mentions the exact same problems. How much uncomfortable and/or unwieldy controls mar the experience is up to the individual to decide. If you want to stick with it, learn, and somehow find a way to make things work in the long run, every other person's gripe becomes meaningless. Bad for Metacritic, panicky publishers, and people who refuse to give things a chance, yes, but good for you. If the controls are never quite where they need to be, then the game is flawed. Whether or not you can still enjoy it beyond that is up to you.

This is entirely reminiscent of things I feel lefties have had to go through for years now. Many Wii games have been torturous experiences. Sometimes quality doesn't matter if controls are insurmountable. In situations like those, all you can do is hope that things eventually click for you. If they don't, a game, no matter how amazing it is, becomes this off-limits thing you're incapable of "properly" enjoying. How would you honestly review something like that? Recommend the game to others while only providing your own struggles as some caveat?

People complained about TWEWY because the touch controls were just plain broken for quite a few pin types. "Mastering" the combat system meant completely ignoring those, in addition to becoming comfortable with ridiculous and largely superfluous top screen multitasking. No amount of acclimation magically made every last pin work properly and reliably 100% of the time. =\

Anteo

By the way, the people who asked whether the music from the E3 2010 announcement trailer is in the game: It's right in the title intro. I don't know how FoxHimself missed it when we asked earlier. The whole song literally plays upon booting up the game, set to awesome footage of epic boss battles and even Pit in his gladiator armor. It's the same orchestral version of the main theme seen in the first trailer, complete with guitar solo and everything. <3

Great!!! Now excuse me while I go to cry in a corner, after realizing that I will not play the game until a few weeks for now.

Neiteio

*intelligent, sober and levelheaded assessment of reviews*
Kudos to you for not being an insane knee-jerk reactionist like the crazy people saying Sterling's off his rocker for his review when he clearly spelled out the reasons and they're all perfectly sound. Half of the game was his cup of tea; half of it wasn't. Fair's fair. How tolerable each person finds the same elements will vary from individual to individual. I don't get the people belittling Sterling over it.

Neiteio

Anyone know when the two-part Palutena shorts from Shaft start rolling out? At this rate there will be crappy non-KIU content uploaded to Nintendo Video that will force out my existing KIU videos. I'm hoping I can have four of the six left on my system and then turn off SpotPass updates on Nintendo Video so I can keep them foreverrr.

Hmm, I think I didn't word my statement correctly, sorry. I know that there are people who agree with Jim Sterling, and I actually read his review to check out what he didn't like this time (to see that it was in part some of the common complaints) but what what I should have said was something along the lines that some of his opinions were way different from most of the people who have played those games. Not that it matters, though, there are some people who don't mind scores at all; which is good indeed. Nice response, by the way.

Dunno, it seems fine to me. With all the action going in the game, I doubt I will actually pay attention to every single word they say. I definitely won't ignore it, though.

Enzon

Anyone with the game knows if the animated shorts are on the game ? in the form o extras or something ? Nintendo Video is not available in my country and i'm dying to see those in 3D

Neiteio

Anyone with the game knows if the animated shorts are on the game ? in the form o extras or something ? Nintendo Video is not available in my country and i'm dying to see those in 3D
Yeah, I want to know if the animated shorts are unlockable in the game as well. Also, does Magnus play a role beyond Chapter 2?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I love arcade-style shooting games, so I'm glad to hear this stuff about incessant, lighthearted jabbering that's akin to those. Everything about this game seems right up my alley, from its energetic presentation to its addictive wealth of content. I just hope I won't run into control issues, especially as a lefty who once broke his wrist.

I know it's hard to understand, but some of us actually agree with every single one of those scores. And if Sterling feels a certain way about a game, you can at least take comfort in the fact that he's going to be truthful about it.

It's honestly much more preferable than reading a wall of text that reads like PR material with some arbitrary number attached to it based on what readers expect to see. Sometimes critics are simply not suitable for reviewing anything within entire genres (fighting games come to mind) let alone individual games, but that's totally acceptable. It's to be expected. Yes, it's frustrating when they haven't bothered to delve deeply enough into a game or when they've unfortunately misunderstood key elements. It's even worse if it isn't their cup of tea at all--it's pointless for someone who hates sports to review a sports game, especially since most readers will be ones who probably enjoy sports. Stuff like this happens, but, believe it or not, diverse viewpoints are a good thing.

If Sterling felt half the game was wonderful and the other literally inflicted pain, why is a 5 indefensible? Every other review mentions the exact same problems. How much uncomfortable and/or unwieldy controls mar the experience is up to the individual to decide. If you want to stick with it, learn, and somehow find a way to make things work in the long run, every other person's gripe becomes meaningless. Bad for Metacritic, panicky publishers, and people who refuse to give things a chance, yes, but good for you. If the controls are never quite where they need to be, then the game is flawed. Whether or not you can still enjoy it beyond that is up to you.

This is entirely reminiscent of things I feel lefties have had to go through for years now. Many Wii games have been torturous experiences. Sometimes quality doesn't matter if controls are insurmountable. In situations like those, all you can do is hope that things eventually click for you. If they don't, a game, no matter how amazing it is, becomes this off-limits thing you're incapable of "properly" enjoying. How would you honestly review something like that? Recommend the game to others while only providing your own struggles as some caveat?

People complained about TWEWY because the touch controls were just plain broken for quite a few pin types. "Mastering" the combat system meant completely ignoring those, in addition to becoming comfortable with ridiculous and largely superfluous top screen multitasking. No amount of acclimation magically made every last pin work properly and reliably 100% of the time. =\

No, no and no. Just no. Sterling is a joke character. When he calls Deadly Premonition a fucking godawful game and gives it a 10/10 because of the "so bad is good" excuse, then you simply can't argue that his scores have any validity whatsoever.

Busaiku

Anyone know when the two-part Palutena shorts from Shaft start rolling out? At this rate there will be crappy non-KIU content uploaded to Nintendo Video that will force out my existing KIU videos. I'm hoping I can have four of the six left on my system and then turn off SpotPass updates on Nintendo Video so I can keep them foreverrr.

I'm guessing tomorrow, with the final bit on Thursday or at launch.

Top Bottom