• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
No, no and no. Just no. Sterling is a joke character. When he calls Deadly Premonition a fucking godawful game and gives it a 10/10 because of the "so bad is good" excuse, then you simply can't argue that his scores have any validity whatsoever.

Just curious, have you played Deadly Premonition?

Busaiku

D7fK6.jpg

Why is the US not getting this?!
IT'S NOT FAIR

@MUWANdo

Banned
Kudos to you for not being an insane knee-jerk reactionist like the crazy people saying Sterling's off his rocker for his review when he clearly spelled out the reasons and they're all perfectly sound. Half of the game was his cup of tea; half of it wasn't. Fair's fair. How tolerable each person finds the same elements will vary from individual to individual. I don't get the people belittling Sterling over it.

Jim Sterling deals in hyperbole and outrage, that's his shtick. Just because he genuinely likes or dislikes something doesn't mean his reviews are sincere. (It also doesn't help that he's a terrible writer, but he's hardly unique in that regard.)

On the other hand, who cares? If you've been following the pre-release hype for this game you could have written all these reviews in your head already. They complain about all the things you'd expect them to complain about, and praise all the things you'd expect them to praise - there's nothing surprising about any of them, and that's the way people like it.

hatchx

Banned
On the other hand, who cares? If you've been following the pre-release hype for this game you could have written all these reviews in your head already. They complain about all the things you'd expect them to complain about, and praise all the things you'd expect them to praise - there's nothing surprising about any of them, and that's the way people like it.

Quoted for truth.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
RE: Sterlings review.

Having spent a couple hours with the game I can say it's pure hyperbole.

Yes, the controls are difficult. And when I say difficult, I mean that they are servicable on a normal level, but to be really good with them is gonna take a bit of practice.

Are they "awful?" No. Do they make anything "unbearable?" No not even close.

I hate that the narrative about this game has been pretty much all about the controls. Cause the rest of the game is prettttttty awesome.

Yes, the controls are difficult. And when I say difficult, I mean that they are servicable on a normal level, but to be really good with them is gonna take a bit of practice.

I hate that the narrative about this game has been pretty much all about the controls. Cause the rest of the game is prettttttty awesome.

Are you left-handed?

Read the IGN review. Honestly, the game sounds like it's much better than I anticipated so I'm very excited.

They mention the uncomfortable controls, but I think I can manage.

Anth0ny

If sprsk is okay with the controls, I'm okay with the controls.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
So excited to play this on Friday.

I absolutely cannot wait. The multiplayer video sold me on the game, but now I'm really excited to try the single player and get all the unlockables.

Neiteio

No, no and no. Just no. Sterling is a joke character. When he calls Deadly Premonition a fucking godawful game and gives it a 10/10 because of the "so bad is good" excuse, then you simply can't argue that his scores have any validity whatsoever.
Play Deadly Premonition, or watch a Let's Play. It's truly one of those cases where the game is more than the sum of its parts.

(Ironically, that seems to be the case with Uprising, where the effect of the rest of the whole seems to overcome the controls for many.)

The point is, all the reviews say the controls are terrible, so people should just accept that and move on to form their own opinions once they play the game, instead of trying to dimiss the views of someone else (which happen to be the views of the other reviewers as well, only they use a different number).

Anyway, I personally can't wait. It's so awesome this game comes out in time for the weekend.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

The only reviews I trust are sprsk's. His Sin and Punishment 2 review was gdlk.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
sprsk, you a boss. Can you comment on the 3D of the game? Does it add jaggies like Resident Evil Revelations, or does it look crispy and clean like, say, 3D Land?

sprsk

sprsk, you a boss. Can you comment on the 3D of the game? Does it add jaggies like Resident Evil Revelations, or does it look crispy and clean like, say, 3D Land?

It's a little jaggy with or without the 3D, adding the 3D doesn't seem to make things more jaggy though (like in MH3G).

I keep the 3D turned on when I play and it's quite nice. Not mind blowing in any way, but everything goes back really deep. Flying levels are where the 3D really shines.

BD1

Banned
I just sort of realized Nintendo is launching (for all intents and purposes) a new, character driven, hardcore, IP this week. And its been pretty amazing: trading cards, pre order bonuses, 3D Anime, high visibility commercials...

...Hype.

I just sort of realized Nintendo is launching (for all intents and purposes) a new, charatcer driven, hardcore, IP this week. And its been pretty amazing: trading cards, pre order bonuses, 3D Anime, high visibility commercials...

...Hype.

Truth. Half the reason I'm buying this is to support more of this sort of thing from Nintendo.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The point is, all the reviews say the controls are terrible, so people should just accept that and move on to form their own opinions once they play the game, instead of trying to dimiss the views of someone else (which happen to be the views of the other reviewers as well, only they use a different number).

The controls have been a sticking point for every reviewer, sure, but the degree of negativity expressed is consistently low across most of the reviews, with Sterling serving as an outlier.

I'm not trying to suggest that reviewers should cling to whatever hegemony arises across the games press, or that any reviewer who posts something you don't agree with is suddenly a hack or has an agenda or whatever, I'm merely saying that when a particular writer with a reputation for deliberately inflammatory articles writes a hyperbolic review you should view it in the proper context.

tl;dr: I agree with you, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't ignore people like Sterling, regardless of whether their articles happen to be agreeable or not.

sprsk

Cool. So what's your control setup?

Buttons to move, touch to aim. I've set the aiming parameters at about inbetween the standard and fastest settings (vert and horiz) and the camera momentum is also rather high.

I still haven't found the sweet spot, though.

I tried "dual stick" controls (slide pad and buttons), and they are just too slow for multiplayer.

Buttons to move, touch to aim. I've set the aiming parameters at about inbetween the standard and fastest settings (vert and horiz) and the camera momentum is also rather high.

I still haven't found the sweet spot, though.

I tried "dual stick" controls (slide pad and buttons), and they are just too slow for multiplayer.

Have you tried it with the Control Pad Pro or heard any impressions from people you work with you have?

Neiteio

MUWANdo, I understand, and I'm glad you see where I'm coming from. I'm just saying each review should be considered on the reasons articulated, not so much the reviewer's reputation. In this particular case, Sterling differs from others only insofar as the "severity" expressed. Between him and the others, it's enough to make me prepare for what might be a struggle in terms of controls. I'm up to the task, though. :)

Also, just watched the new anime short. My empathetic side is disturbed by Palutena trying to eat living carrot creatures, while my fetish for dominating women makes me oddly turned on...

Btw, did this anime replace Thanatos Rising Part 2 for everyone? That's the one it replaced for me. I thought it would've replaced Rising Part 1. Now I'm worried the next one might randomly replace Medusa's Revenge. :-\

Top Bottom