• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Teknoman

I thought angels were dead people though?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel

Angels, in a variety of religions, are regarded as spiritual beings. They are often depicted as messengers of God in the Hebrew and Christian Bibles and the Quran. The English word angel is derived from the Greek ἄγγελος (aggelos), a translation of מלאך (mal'akh) in the Hebrew Bible (Tanakh); a similar term, ملائكة (Malāīkah), is used in the Qur'an. The Hebrew and Greek words originally meant messenger, and depending on the context may refer either to a human messenger (possibly a prophet or priest, such as Malachi, "my messenger", but also for more mundane characters, as in the Greek superscription that the Book of Malachi was written "by the hand of his messenger" (ἀγγήλου)) or to a supernatural messenger, such as the "Mal'akh YHWH," who (depending on interpretation) is either a messenger from God, an aspect of God (such as the Logos), or God Himself as the messenger (the "theophanic angel.")

To people with the game...is controlling Pit with the face buttons in the Sin & Punishment-esque control scheme bearable?

EDIT: WHOA. ^^^

lol yeah. If it works like that, i'll have no problems with the game at all.

NateDrake

To people with the game...is controlling Pit with the face buttons in the Sin & Punishment-esque control scheme bearable?

EDIT: WHOA. ^^^

Controlling Pit with the slide pad & moving the reticule via the face-buttons works well, though it is slower than the stylus aiming. You can swap between face-button aiming & touch-screen with that control option on, however. Works good for land battles, but is too slow for the aerial combat.

sfried

Controlling Pit with the slide pad & moving the reticule via the face-buttons works well, though it is slower than the stylus aiming. You can swap between face-button aiming & touch-screen with that control option on, however. Works good for land battles, but is too slow for the aerial combat.
I'm too tired to rewrite what my theory is with the control problems so let me just quote myself from the GameSpite Forums:
I have a theory that the problems people face is when the touch screen cannot recognize between it being pressed or released with a flick, and that the way it is configured, the view turns in the direction opposite of where it is being flicked. So say you want to turn right, you flick the stylus to the left and the viewpoint spins like a globe from within.

The trouble arises when you use the touch screen to "aim" and your target veers off view. So say you are leading your shots to the right but the enemy just blew past the screen. You would immediately lift your stylus on impulse and the screen will veer left because it recognized your movement as a stroke.

Now the simple way to alleviate this problem it to reverse the X axis of the turn so when you flick left, it turns left, very much like spinning the opposite side of a globe, or the side facing you. That way, when you lead your shots, you can momentarily lift the stylus to make the camera spin and then let it down once you spot your target.

So there should be many options to tweak sensitivity and settings with my proposed scheme.
Hopefully once this game comes out I could test my theories to find a solution.

@MUWANdo

Banned
We've already seen a pic of the touch screen calibration screen, haven't we? IIRC it includes vertical and horizontal sensitivity settings, inverted axes, etc.

mu-chan

Neo Member
I'll come back in here a couple times a day to preach this: have faith in the default controls! I have colleagues that are lefties, and even THEY have come to grips with the default and have made it second nature.

Later when you start getting to higher intensity levels and get competitive online, using the face buttons for movement or targeting will leave you at a serious disadvantage. Trust me: the default controls are godly when you get used to them and assimilate into Sakurai's genius.

hatchx

Banned
Hey this is a bit OT, but did you guys know if you give the 3DS a shake in the home menu it makes the icons dance. Just give the back of the system a tap with your fingers.

ffdgh

Hey this is a bit OT, but did you guys know if you give the 3DS a shake in the home menu it makes the icons dance. Just give the back of the system a tap with your fingers.

nah that's the mic. if you blow into it, the icons spin. Im guessing the stylus make a clicking noise when you shake it.

I'm sure there's some sort of control setup that I could be comfortable with but I'm just gonna use this as an excuse to get a control pad pro anyway.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I just noticed that the jingle during the SHAFT cartoon is the song Pit was singing in one of FoxHimself's videos. lol

fake edit:
headtiltsqxy54.gif
beautiful

I'm too tired to rewrite what my theory is with the control problems so let me just quote myself from the GameSpite Forums:
Hopefully once this game comes out I could test my theories to find a solution.

What? It's not inverted like that as default. It's exactly like spinning a globe (they even use that analogy in the game).

Eric C

I just used the Amazon Local $10 gift card for $5 and applied it to my preorder.

So I basically got $5 off Kid Icarus, and I'm still getting the 3D Classics pre-order bonus.

Pretty good deal.

kiri

Grabbed my copy a few minutes ago; looking forward to playing it all night! If there are any questions about the game, I'd be happy to answer them.

Maedhros

Okay, read the reviews and it seems like it's the game I was expecting: PACKED with unlockables, really adictive, shitty controls for people who didn't like MPH style (like me).

My 3DS later this year will have this game (with SM3DL, MK7 and Zelda).

I just used the Amazon Local $10 gift card for $5 and applied it to my preorder.

So I basically got $5 off Kid Icarus, and I'm still getting the 3D Classics pre-order bonus.

Pretty good deal.

I cancelled my existing preorder and replaced it with one that included the gift card and ended up losing release-day shipping. This is because I foolishly didn't notice the "change payment method" button. Ugh.

I wonder if the stand would make playing Bit.Trip Beat and Flux more comfortable... that would be another incentive for me to buy this.

And how much does the 3D Classics cost on eShop?

Neiteio

Seeing Pit make his epic comeback makes me even more eager to finally see Pikmin 3, which in all likelihood will be at this year's E3. It's been too long since we last went on an adventure with Olimar and Louie (and the President of Hocotate Freight)!

Sinthetic

Seeing Pit make his epic comeback makes me even more eager to finally see Pikmin 3, which in all likelihood will be at this year's E3. It's been too long since we last went on an adventure with Olimar and Louie (and the President of Hocotate Freight)!

That would be TITS.

Neiteio

Something I really want to know is... Does Magnus play a role in the game beyond Chapter 2? I'd love it if someone who's played the game can tell us that much. He looks like Smash Bros. material, so I'm interested how prominently featured he is in this game.

Busaiku

Eh, but it wasn't 25 years, so it's not gonna be as grand.

Read the Euroganer review. Sounds like something I'm interested in playing. They mentioned that the Circle Pad Pro is the only way for left handed people to play the game. Is this true, or do you think I could get used to the right handed control after repeated use?

Busaiku

Read the Euroganer review. Sounds like something I'm interested in playing. They mentioned that the Circle Pad Pro is the only way for left handed people to play the game. Is this true, or do you think I could get used to the right handed control after repeated use?

There are control options that allow you to use ABXY for movement and stylus with your left hand.
sprsk says it works well.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Hmm, this video review somewhat put me off on the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEnLNpF9l3w

Even if the controls are perfect after someone gets good at them, it's still destined to be a completely divisive issue.

Game controls are one of the primary things that always divide people about games. It's difficult in some cases to tell from other people's impressions whether the controls literally "don't work" or whether that person couldn't learn how to play the game properly. Then there's the problem that some people expect (demand) every single game conform to one particular control scheme and play style that they have decided is the standard for all games.

Going to have to try this game to see whether it works or not for the individual.

OmegaZero

I forget if this is has already been mentioned, but this is important to me so:
Is there a sound test or option to listen to the music?

Hmm, this video review somewhat put me off on the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEnLNpF9l3w

This guy sounds more like he's whining about than anything else. He didn't mention how deep the game is, the checklist system, nothing. He likes to be challenged but he doesn't like it when the game kicks him back a level after a death? If it were the other way around he would have complained about how the game doesn't offer to help you if you chose a higher difficulty...

He didn't go through any of the customization options. It's like this was a half assed "review". He didn't experiment with anything to make this experience better. Ugh. I'm still hyped for this game.

nron10

Neo Member
Don't hate on the Gamexplain guy too much. I can vouch for the embargoes for NA press being kind of constrictive. There are certain things that people have been talking about for the past month that we can't talk about until launch day.

For example, we can say that there are more than 9 chapters, but we can't say how many there are.

Neiteio

Fanboys only believe what they want to hear. If one is going to scrutinize the "negative" reviews that much, and try and "disprove" the reviewer by assuming they haven't tried this or that (when they said they did, btw), you might as well apply the same scrutiny to the positive reviews, in which case you can't trust Eurogamer even actually played the game, given all the facts they got wrong, seen below:

What a weird review the Eurogamer one is: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-19-kid-icarus-uprising-review

No mention of one of the game's highlights (the dialogue), says twin stick playing is in, only touches the story up to
Medusa, which is like four hours in
,saying hearts give you life (they don't, food does that). Weird.

I've been playing this all the afternoon. I must say that the controls feel kinda weird at first, but once you get used to them, it's pretty exhilarating. I'm just 5 Chapters in, and it's shaping up to be a pretty great game. The pacing so far keeps you constantly going, and the difficulty slider is a great idea.
Visual are actually pretty great too, though I'm sure I won't be the only one wondering what some of the awesome sceneries you go through could look like on a big screen.
Also, unlike some out here, I'm not at all put off by the tone of the game, quite the contrary. I'm finding the in-game dialogues serviceable as background chatter. I'm even finding myself listening and smiling to them as I play.
Sound is, as everyone knows by now, awesome.

Anyway, I feel like I'm just starting to see what this game has to offer, but so far, I'm surprisingly pleased.
I'm a lefty playing with the Circle Pad Pro, by the way.

So how the hell are we going to do a tourney without a community system?

Start it up! Although i would give at least everyone a week to get accustomed to the game then start tourneys. I'm down for it though.

You can bring your single player weapons into multiplayer and vice versa right?

Were there any comments for how the stick controls were? I hear that touch can be very finnicky, but if it controls fine using just buttons I don't see the problem.

Neiteio

Still wondering if Magnus only appears once or if he appears throughout the game. A simple "Yes, he plays a larger role than just Chapter 2" would suffice.

Anyone?

Jarsonot

Drove around today seeing if anyone would sell it early: nope. =( Wish we had mom & pop stores around here.

/firstworldproblems

Top Bottom